PDA

View Full Version : Extended Calenders and Aging

Soft Serve
05-29-2014, 12:37 AM
So I'm planning a super-heroic campaign in a unique world that is very obviously "designed" by a god. It is not wild or natural at all. Landmasses are often symmetrical, balanced, and very finely handled by "gods" we'll call them.

The world is sectioned by quarters and each quarter is in a different season from the others. One of them is in Spring, another in Summer and so on. And each season lasts exactly for 100 days. The first and last ten days are spent in a "transition" period so it's more like 80 days of exact summer (or winter or whatever.)

This gives the world a 400 day calender. The New Year is designated when the Capital Quarter begins the first day of Summer (which would be the first day of winter for the one across from it and Spring and Autumn for the two next to it.)

My question is. Since our calender is set to 365 days, a 400 day calender isn't very far off of that. But over time those excess days would add up. My question is how long until the age difference between a person on our planet and a person on this fictional one starts to matter? It's a math thing I guess, and I could do hard numbers, but I'd like opinions as well I suppose.

Here's how I've figured it so far. The difference between 365 days and 400 is 35. 365 can be divided by 35 ten times with some remainder. So every 10 years on that world, you'll have essentially lived an "extra" year. Meaning their 10yr olds are basically the same "age" as our 11yr olds. And at 40yrs old, they're essentially 44yrs old. Let me know if I'm wrong.

And the point / question really is, at any point do you think this would be difficult or relevant to the players or their characters? Any situations anyone could come up with where this might be too much of a change? It honestly worries my probably more than it should.

DMMike
06-03-2014, 09:30 AM
And the point / question really is, at any point do you think this would be difficult or relevant to the players or their characters? Any situations anyone could come up with where this might be too much of a change? It honestly worries my probably more than it should.

Relevant? No.

If the super-world years are longer, everyone on that planet will have "ages" that are strangely lower than those of Earthlings. By about, oh, 10%. The exact age or days of difference doesn't matter, unless one of your PCs is a Calendarmancer.

Soft Serve
06-03-2014, 03:57 PM
That's what I'm thinking as well. The difference between age 40 and age 44 isn't much in game terms so I don't think it'd be that big of a deal.

Matt James
06-04-2014, 06:45 AM
Check out Pendragon RPG. There will be many ideas from it that you can glean when it comes to aging and heritage. It was a great inspiration for me when initially trying to figure out how to develop the Red Aegis RPG.

I suggest looking at things like emotional and intellectual growth, versus just physical. A lot can change in a character depending on their life experiences. Frodo Baggins, as an example, completely outgrew his shire life after only one year. Look at Frodo before the ring, and after the events surrounding Mordor. That's a good things to keep in mind.

Does this help?

Soft Serve
06-04-2014, 12:08 PM
Emotional and Intellectual growth included, I don't see much of a gap in the way someone would view a 40yr old vs how they would vie a 44yr old.

A lot can happen in four years, yes. And for all intents and purposes those people will have lived those four years since they'll have lived just as many days. But because the "year" is extended they'll only technically be "40 years old." The point is that it wouldn't impact the players much to see an 80yr old acting like an 88yr old isn't going to disillusion or confuse anybody I think and that perception is the important one to me.

The characters of the world have lived that way all their lives, I don't have to convince them. The players are the ones that are slightly concerning, but the difference isn't too steep.

Matt James
06-06-2014, 06:51 AM
No worries. It was just a suggestion :)