PDA

View Full Version : A good map making program?

Morashitar
05-17-2014, 04:17 PM
What map making programs do you know of and believe are great to use?

nijineko
05-25-2014, 05:55 PM
are you looking at ones that generate maps for you, or ones that are good to use to make maps?

Morashitar
05-25-2014, 07:21 PM
I am leaning on buying map making programs from www.profantasy.com , yet am curious what other map tools might be great to use to allow us to create maps from scratch. If you use any nijineko, which ones are they?

nijineko
05-26-2014, 05:36 PM
i am originally an artist and a writer, so i use a whole lot of different tools depending on what i'm making: bryce, gimp, pencil, fireworks, sculptris, blender, inkscape, pixen, painter, daz, and more.

fmitchell
05-27-2014, 12:02 AM
If you want Old School hex maps, you might want to look at Hexographer (http://www.hexographer.com). For someone with almost no drawing ability whatsoever, it's a good way to sketch out an area.

If you want "realistic" maps, I've heard Pro Fantasy is good, but otherwise your best bet is drawing tools you're already familiar with and some introductory books / sites on cartography.

Carodwen
05-27-2014, 05:07 PM
I use cc3 (https://secure.profantasy.com/products/cc3.asp)I live by it and I love it

Morashitar
05-27-2014, 05:24 PM
I actual saw a youtube video on how to make maps using photoshop. It is funny how easy they make it look, but when you try it not that easy! I think I will buy cc3, but also give my photoshop program a try to see if I can make a land map for my game. :)

nijineko
05-27-2014, 11:14 PM
oh, and be sure to wander over to the cartographers guild site - they are one of the best sources for not only maps, but how-to's on maps. =D

Morashitar
05-28-2014, 05:26 PM
Thanks for the tip. I am going to check it out. :)

Skunkape
06-05-2014, 01:59 PM
I personally use CC3 from ProFantasy, but it does have a sharp learning curve! Oh and it does cost a little coin! I agree with nijineko though as far as the Cartographers Guild site is concerned. I'm on there constantly, looking at others' maps and reading through their tutorials!

Soft Serve
06-11-2014, 12:55 PM
For free map creation services AutoREALM is pretty good. It's a bit old, but it still works on my Win8 computer (Hexographer does not, which is sad because I enjoyed it. Though I might just be doing something horribly wrong.)

As for map generators, I can't say I've ever really used any on a landmass scale. Once I was familiar with AutoREALM and drawing fractal lines together into rough "continent" shapes, I was always content with it. But random Dungeon Generators I almost always exclusively used donjon (http://donjon.bin.sh/). Not just for the dungeons either, there's an almost insane amount of helpful generators there.

Morashitar
06-12-2014, 04:17 PM
very cool info. thanks!

Sneaksta
06-12-2014, 04:57 PM
Soft Serve, have you thought about running a virtual OS with free virtualbox, and running your map program from that?? Whenever i have an old game or program that i want to use/play, i do that. Imagine playing Hillfar again lol.

Soft Serve
06-12-2014, 05:41 PM
Soft Serve, have you thought about running a virtual OS with free virtualbox, and running your map program from that?? Whenever i have an old game or program that i want to use/play, i do that. Imagine playing Hillfar again lol.

No, I've never heard of that. Could be useful for a few things I lost moving to WIN8.