PDA

View Full Version : Look over some of my abilities (google doc)

Ghostlander
05-13-2014, 02:54 AM
So, I'm compiling a list of my tweakable/upgradeable abilities, and I wanted to get any advice on NEW ones to add, or interesting fixes to ones already listed.

Also, to note, fx or status effects in the document mean stuff like bleeding, stunned, rooted, and all that.

Also, this is a basic write up, no fancy anything going on. Just one very basic ability description after the other, along with what is tweakable or upgradeable about it. I'll add the full details and specifications of each one later on.

But yeah. any ideas are welcomed.

Oh and some of them are pretty out of sensical order.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B6eS2fI2NpcBZk0xNnl4c181Smc/edit?usp=sharing (https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B6eS2fI2NpcBZk0xNnl4c181Smc/edit?usp=sharing)

Ghostlander
05-14-2014, 01:02 PM
44 views and not a single comment huh. alright.

jpatterson
05-14-2014, 06:06 PM
I have probably viewed it twice but have had a backlog of IRL stuff and a headache. I am going to go over one doc I have, I wanted to get to this one but it will be a little later.

I do wish more and other people would post more and just be more active in the forums, especially in topics they're interested in. Some members tried a year ago to get a game design/GM group going to get mutual feedback like some of the old authors used to in the 20s-80s.

It's really hit or miss with posting things for people to look over, especially to download and look over, even on the long-established sites with lots (maybe too much) traffic like RPG.net or Storygames. I've gotten some feedback here for things, and some I could not get feedback on if I attached a nude pic of Jennifer Lopez photoshopping LOLCATS onto a Barack Obama campaign ad by Ron Paul.

Ghostlander
05-14-2014, 06:49 PM
Oh wow. What do you suggest then as far as feedback? Different site?

jpatterson
05-14-2014, 09:36 PM
Well as I said, to some extent it doesn't matter the site, in a lot of ways. Even on the big sites like RPG.net and the now-dead Indie-RPG/Forge forums, it often seemed to depend on how a post title was framed, firstly, and secondly how the post itself, once you clicked on it, was also framed and presented, and how the poster asked for feedback (how much he was expecting people to do). Posts along the lines of "please download my 50 page pdf and tell me what you think" were often seemingly ignored or occasionally even criticized, usually with something like "I'm working on my own games, as a lot of us are, and you're asking US to look at 50 pages of YOUR game, with no guidelines other than "tell me what you think/could be improved"?

People seem more likely to give feedback if you post small or specific parts or rules and specific 4 or less SPECIFIC things you're looking for feedback on. "Just look over my stuff" is pretty much never a successful tact with anyone except partners or people you're already making a game with, and rarely even then. You need to present this to YOURSELF first, in an individual section or rule format, and say "What specifically am I asking about, what am I concerned with here?" and relay that to people. Maybe you want to know if they think prices are unbalanced, or there are too few skills that rely on Dexterity.

People need structure especially in the case of looking at someone else's game - we don't have the first idea what we could even begin to consider, as you give us no foundation what YOUR idea or concept is, or your personal aim or goal, for a specific section, and no way we will ever get the full context of that within your greater game design model itself. YOU have to know that much, and present that in relation to what you want, knowing that you will have to interpret much of what people say, relative to what your general design flow is already. Only you know if you're trying to achieve a comedic-but-gritty steampunk game focusing on political intrigue and family hassles. Other people usually are not going to be able to how to mesh your rules or mechanics with something so specific as your personal vision. They can tell you if a rule looks right or not, or obvious skills would fit or work well in a stated criteria, but to just say "Do I need Pickpocket or Disarm Traps in my fantasy game" will often net you "Well, I don't know - are there pockets to be picked and does it make a difference, and are there a lot of traps that need disarmed?"

Ghostlander
05-14-2014, 09:41 PM
I get you. I was just curious. It's a generic system I'm working with where the abilities could be flavoured fantasy or sci-fi depending.

You did bring up one thing I forgot I wanted, an opening sort of ability like lockpicking or hacking. lol. So thanks for that.

DMMike
05-15-2014, 08:59 PM
I've gotten some feedback here for things, and some I could not get feedback on if I attached a nude pic of Jennifer Lopez photoshopping LOLCATS onto a Barack Obama campaign ad by Ron Paul.

Would you provide a URL for said pic? :laugh:

jpatterson
05-16-2014, 09:11 AM
Only if people provide enough game mechanics to get Ghostlander to the point his game can emulate doing such things in an RPG. And I might have exaggerated what the hypothetical pic might be: how about turtles doing it?

Ghostlander
05-16-2014, 03:09 PM
I'm not sure what you meant jpatterson. I have re-organized and r-evaluated my core abilities roster, and have placed abilities into overarching sections.

I don't know how to go about asking someone to go over my new roster. Be it a wall of text here, or a link to a pdf or googledoc. I feel like people would ignore it either way at this point.

jpatterson
05-17-2014, 02:05 PM
It is possible that some people will respond to a contextual environment, where you describe the particular aspect (abilities) as its own entity, so that mostly all the readers have to refer to is the overall framework, when looking at the abilities. This allows them to respond or suggest things to you within the bounds of what you've described, without them feeling like they have to take on the added onus of also taking your other related mechanics (such as point costs or penalties for multiple actions in a round) unless those are also described within your "test box" you present. You can then take their suggestions and interpret them for yourself in the larger context of your game, making the appropriate decisions and modifications to get an idea as to how such ideas would translate and be implemented, without expecting the suggestors here to try to account for such things, but while also giving them enough relevant info (like how HP work if your abilities affect those).

And maybe I shouldn't, being a mod here, but as I mentioned, there ARE other sites as well, that also have people that often have people willing to give advice to game designers or just speak their mind on issues. I personally don't think there is anything in life that should not have a second, third or fourth opinion applied to it, to get a broader cross-section of mindsets and play styles and such. I personally have found a lot of useful posts and gotten suggestions and advice from RPG.NET, Story-games, Enworld and even game specific sites like the Peginc forums (Savage Worlds) and D6 Online forums, and no doubt there are a ton of ideas and posts in the various D&D/D20 forums, from Wizards' site itself and Pathfinder and Fantasy Craft, to the SRD sites themselves, so you can see how other games do their abilities, skills, etc. The most common advice to writers is to read, and in a similar vein, I think the best advice to game designers is to look at how other games play and are designed to accomplish that play.