PDA

View Full Version : about Gaming Adverts

magic-rhyme
04-19-2014, 07:31 PM
What do you want to see in a gaming advert to get your interest?

Over the past three years, I have chatted in person about tabletop roleplaying gaming with strangers I've met at the university, at the local comics-n-games store, at the bookstore, once in a long line at a convenience store, and BAM! two weeks later I'm running a game for these people or playing in a game with them. And I've run into friends who have gotten into gaming, friends I haven't seen for years with whom I once gamed, or barely-known friends of friends who have gotten into gaming and heard that I am fairly talented at certain styles of gaming (not all styles!), and CRACKO-JACKO! by the end of the month, I'm running a game with them or playing in a game with them.

The only problem is that almost all of these are college students, so it's not uncommon for them to leave the state when they graduate a year or two later, which means I need to look for new gamers almost constantly.

There are fewer and fewer people each year who shop at their local game store or local bookstore instead of shopping online, and the mood of the country is shifting such that people are becoming increasingly reluctant to speak with other people while waiting in a line at a store. I've never been a scary person unless an aggressive intellect counts, and I'm certainly no scarier today than I was ten years ago, but people are far more scared today than they were ten years ago.

So finding people online instead of RL is turning into the mandatory norm these days.

Over the same past three years, I have posted gaming adverts here and in every other tabletop gaming forum I can find online, including meet-ups and RPGnet, as well as taping up gaming adverts at the local comics-n-games store, at the bookstore, and at the university. The number of new gamers I have found to game with this way: zero.

Oh, I've had a few e-mail me to say they'd like to game but they don't have the time, and I've met a couple of people addicted to gaming as their favorite way to avoid life (and I refuse to play enabler for any sort of life-devouring addiction), and more than one person has irritated me by responding to my advert for a Tabletop Face-2-Face Pen-&-Paper RL campaign by asking, "Will this be skype?" or "Will this be in online chat?", questions which say nothing good about the quality of their intelligence and perceptivity.

So, since I have been able to find new gamers just by chatting with strangers in a long line at a convenience store, the problem can't be with my campaign ideas or with me personally. It must have something to do with how I write my gaming adverts.

What kind of gaming adverts get your attention enough that you bother to e-mail the poster about the game and then, after the requisite meeting to sound each other out, actually attend the game sessions?

What do you want to see in a gaming advert to get your interest?

(cross-posted both in General RPG / Industry Discussions and in Find or Advertise Games in Your Area)