PDA

View Full Version : NecroHunt! A Pen And Paper in Beta Testing.

ABBQTurtle
04-14-2014, 09:05 PM
Hello again, Forum!

I have mentioned before my homebrewed PnP. And after (not so) popular demand, I am bringing the Beta experience to YOU! All you need are:

1: A pencil or pen.
2: A notebook or several pieces of paper.
3: 2-3 Six Sided dice! (search old monopoly boxes!)
4: Some small item to represent your character.

Now, Here is the rules for everything!

Story:
You (and your friends) awake to the foul oder of rotting flesh. The air you breathe is musty and each breathe you take is hard on your lungs. Upon examination of your surroundings you find silhouettes block the mysterious path ahead. A closer look reveals that they are, in fact, the undead! Who summoned these demonic hell spawns? Why did they capture you and lock you up here? Perhaps traveling down the dark dungeon can reveal some answers. Or, at the very least, maybe you can get out alive! And so your adventure begins..
---------

Rules:
(Create a new character)
1. Take a sheet of blank paper and write your persona's name at the top.
2. Below the name, if you would like, you may draw a picture of him/her. (Any armor or weapons drawn do NOT affect game stats)
3. Draw a box around the Character Space and the name.
4. Below the box, write in brackets "[ ]" your characters Class. (see Class reference section)
5. Below the Class Brackets, write down any special abilities your class has and how much mana they cost/damage they do.
6. To the side of the picture, write your HP and Mana.
7. Any other notes can be written wherever you like but try not to confuse numbers!
-----

(Playing your turn)

1. to begin your turn roll two six sided dice. This is your mana recharge! The number rolled is how much mana is replenished. You may NOT gain more than your maximum.
2. Now roll one die. Move the amount of tiles you rolled.
3.If you land on an M tile or a Boss Tile, begin Combat. (See Combat Reference Section)
4. After Combat, if you have defeated the monster enter the Looting process. (See Looting Reference Sheet)
5. Choose to either Keep, Drop, or Give your treasure to a friend then finish your turn.
-------
(how to Combat)
1. After landing on a Monster tile, you will roll 1 six sided die. This determines what enemy you encounter. (After the mini-boss, roll two)
2. Refer to the Enemy Reference Section, and find the monster you rolled.
3. Then roll two dice. One die represents your attack, and the other represents the monsters.
4. Highest number wins! If playing on Easy, the damages listed in the Reference Section are void. Instead, go by the number rolled by the Monster.
5. If YOU roll the highest number, you do damage to the monster based on the number you rolled. (example; If you roll a five and your opponents rolls and the monster rolls a four, the monster takes 5 damage. If you roll a four and the monster rolls a five, take damage equal to the number listen in the Enemy Reference Sheet. BUT if youre on easy mode, take damage to the number rolled on the Monster die.
6. If you have not defeated the monster, and it has not defeated you, continue this untill victory or death.
7. To use a Special Ability, lose the mana it takes to cast, and then roll a die. If the roll is even, the attack hits!
-------
(How to Loot)
1. After combat damage is applied, you may loot your fallen opponent! Begin by rolling 3 dice.
2. What you have rolled is your loot! Refer to the Looting Reference Section.
3. You can also loot chests! If you find a tile with a [c], begin the looting process.
--------

Enemy Reference Section:

1. Skeleton - HP:10 Dmg:3
2. Zombies - Hp:10 Dmg:3
3. Zombie Mage - HP:8 Dmg:4
4. Skeleton Swordsman - HP:10 Dmg:5
5.Skeleton Archer - HP:15 Dmg: 4
6.Skeleton Mage - HP:15 Dmg: 5
7.Vampie - Hp: 15 Dmg: 5
8.Ghoul - HP: 20 Dmg: 8
9.Zombie Unicorn - HP:25 Dmg:10
10. Cerberus - HP:30 Dmg:20
11. Zombie Harpie - HP:15 Dmg:10
12. Zombie Chimera - HP:30 Dmg:30

Mini-Boss - HP: 100 Dmg; 50
Boss - HP: 250 Dmg: 75
--------
Looting Reference Section:
3. Enchant Armor Piece - +5 Max Health, Heal 5 Hp.
4. Leather Armor Piece - +2 max HP, Heal 2.
5. Wand - + 5 Max Mana, +5 attack damage number. (mages only)
6. Copper Armor Piece - +5 Max HP, heal 5.
7. Health Potion - Heal +40 HP.
8. Companion - Extra attack for no mana. Roll for companion! See Companion Reference Section.
9. Iron Armor Piece - +8 max Hp, heal 8.
10. Mana Crystal - Double your maximum mana.
11. New Sword - Roll for sword. See the sword reference section.
12. Steel Armor Piece - +10 max HP, heal 10 hp.
13. Companion Treat - +5 Companion Damage for 1 fightof your choosing. (need to have a Companion to Keep)
14. Mages Armor - +20 max HP, heal 20 HP
15. Dragon Hide Armor - +30 max HP, heal 30.
16. Mages Robes - +5 max hp, gain 5. +10 max mana, gain 10.
17. Wraith Hide Armor - +20 HP, heal 20 HP.
18. Lesser Healing Potion - Heal 15 hp.
----------

Sword Looting Reference Section:
(roll 1 die)
1. Iron Sword - +5 Attack Damage Number Permanently
2. Gold sword - +5 Attack Damage Number for 5 fights of your choice.
3. Large Cleaver - +8 Attk Dmg permanently
4. Devils Backbone - +10 Attk Damage Permanently
5. Bane of the undead - +15 Attk Damage Permanently
6. Bane Of The Necromancers - +50 attk damage number permanently
---------
Companion Reference Section:
(roll one die, these are not immediate effects. Companions are chosen when theyre used, so be sure to hold on to them!)
1. Giant Bat - +5 Attk Dmg Number (5 fights)
2. Fairy-beast - +6 Attk Dmg Number (Infinite)
3. Pet Banshee - +5 Attk Dmg Number
4. Slime Ball - +3 Attk Dmg Number (1 fight)
5. Pet Wolf - +3 attk dmg number (Infinite)
6. Ice Golem - +10 Attk Dmg Number (2 fights)
---------
Classes Reference Sheet:
Archer - Starts with 10 HP and 12 Mana. Can use a three-fold attack for 6 mana during battle, adds +5 to the damage number!

Swordsman - Starts with 10 HP and 12 mana. Can use a slash attack for 2 mana during battle, adds +3 to the damage number.

Mage - Starts with 8 HP and 24 Mana. Can use a fireball spell during battle for 4 mana, adds +5 to the damage number! Can use an Ice Spell during battle for 5 mana, adding +4 the damage number
---------
Now for the board! This only requires one page! You know those red lines on a sheet of looseleaf? Youre going to want to use those for references. Trace the top blue line between the red bars. You now have the overall shape, the bars serve as borders. You may want to trace them aswell. Now measure from one red bar to the other an Inch. Mark each inch. Now, the blue lines on the paper are your Horizontal lines needed. Start at one of your inch markers and draw a line straight to the bottom of the board. This should make a grid space with One inch wide squares. Once you have this grid, you can actually design your own dungeon! Shade on darkly the squares you want to be walls and this, not passable. Mark monster tiles with an M. (be sure to add plenty! Youll need them!) Mark Chest tiles with a smaller box inside the grid space, and adding a C in the middle. Add in a mini-boss tile (which may take up as many squares as you like) at the halfway point of your dungeon. At the end of your dungeon, add in the final boss tile! And now you have a dungeon to crawl around and grind in! Hope you guys can check it out! Have fun!

jpatterson
04-16-2014, 03:40 PM
Hi there, very cool to see some game design around here. =)

I like your start and overall the rules and definitely the feel, simplistic and reminiscent of, to me, 8 bit console RPGs like Final Fantasy and Zelda.

One thing offhand is you could mock up a character sheet and maybe a list of your rolls and such you present here, or in fact put the whole thing in a simple RTF or DOC/ODT or PDF file and offer it for download somewhere, from 1km1kt to our very own Pen & Paper Games, which has a downloads section. Even a screenshot of a character sheet might help prospective players get an idea of what they actually need on paper, in visual form - some people are visual learners.

Here are my specific points/questions, both for my own curiosity and as examples players might want to know from your presentation of play:

1. to begin your turn roll two six sided dice. This is your mana recharge! The number rolled is how much mana is replenished. You may NOT gain more than your maximum.

Does everyone have Mana? What's it for? What is max Mana?

2. Now roll one die. Move the amount of tiles you rolled.
I know you go into the map later, but this is very confusing for other newbies and even a bit for veteran gamers - I was wondering if I had glossed over some mention of "tiles" or where they would have come from, but nothing previous to this mentions tiles or maps or how you get them.

1. After landing on a Monster tile, you will roll 1 six sided die. This determines what enemy you encounter. (After the mini-boss, roll two)
Does this mean from now on, after the mini-boss, or just for the first encounter? What does rolling two dice instead of 1 do? I presume you use the normal monster chart for both, so a 1-6 that you normally roll for an encounter pits you against weaker monsters, but the mini-boss marks when things start to get serious and all monsters after that will be tougher?

3. Then roll two dice. One die represents your attack, and the other represents the monsters.
You should probably mention they need to be different colors or rolled separately so they can be differentiated.

4. Highest number wins! If playing on Easy, the damages listed in the Reference Section are void. Instead, go by the number rolled by the Monster.
I don't recall any mentions before this about "modes". How does this happen? Who decides? When? What are the choices and differences?

5. If YOU roll the highest number, you do damage to the monster based on the number you rolled. (example; If you roll a five and your opponents rolls and the monster rolls a four, the monster takes 5 damage. If you roll a four and the monster rolls a five, take damage equal to the number listen in the Enemy Reference Sheet. BUT if youre on easy mode, take damage to the number rolled on the Monster die.

I mentioned this elsewhere, but while this is a nice simple way to have "advanced" rules compared to the monster chart listings, I suggest again even for a simple game, you might consider one or two specific traits for a character, like when you pick a "class", each might have a bonus, like "Fighter: +1 to attack rolls" and maybe a Cleric could cast a spell if no enemy tiles were within 6 tiles/squares, maybe a simple 3-6 on d6 to successfully cast Heal which could be used instead of or in combination with the Mana. Another idea might be instead of tracking Mana like you do HP, spells or abilities could give a modifier to an attempt to use a special ability, like the Fireball spell, the more powerful spell the bigger the penalty to the roll, so a simple spell might be -1, casting on a 4-6 (instead of the usual 3-6), while Fireball might only work on a 5-6 (or you could change to rolling two added dice for a larger range of roll options). This would keep players from having to keep track of mana.

6. If you have not defeated the monster, and it has not defeated you, continue this untill victory or death.
Something that might add some variety would be the ability to Flee (you'd make the regular combat roll but if you win, you can move 1 square away, if the monster wins, he does damage equal to his roll minus yours. If that damage is less than 3, you aren't able to Flee after taking damage, otherwise you can. You might also add Stealth for a thief or ranger type, whose Stealth ability might work somewhat like Flee, or allow them to pass through the monster tile on a successful Stealth roll without having to engage in combat (and of course they'd have a once per combat Backstab mana type ability like your other classes).

7. To use a Special Ability, lose the mana it takes to cast, and then roll a die. If the roll is even, the attack hits!
This isn't horrible, though I've recently read on some forums about a game that uses odd/even to resolve actions and that appears to be one of the things people dislike the most about that system, is they normally roll say 5 dice to try to do something, and even if all their dice came up 5, it's a fail because odd numbers are worthless. Players tend to be conditioned to associate, anticipate and desire high numbers as a positive, so while I understand the ultra simplicity of odd/even, the 4-6 model might be more pleasing to those with a math/number leaning. Plus you can use things to modify rolls as I demonstrated in the Casting example; something like "Rope +1 for pit traps" or something.

Now for the board! This only requires one page! You know those red lines on a sheet of looseleaf? Youre going to want to use those for references. Trace...
I'd say fleshing out and explaining and probably giving more examples and a finished map, or providing your own or a link to some square grid paper would be very useful for players. There is a lot you mention or reference casually here that is just too

I think you have a playable game here, and could easily be beefed up a bit to give more variety and options for interactions for players but still remain a simple solo or multiplayer game. Nice work!

ABBQTurtle
04-19-2014, 02:50 PM
1. Everybody has mana. Mana is used for the skills listed in the Class section. This tells you what your abilities are for each class and how much health they have, how much mana it costs to use an ability, etc. think of it as stamina! :)

2. I will add visuals, good idea! :) But, as described, when you make the dungeon, you add in every tile needed! As explained, there are chest tiles, monster tiles, a mini boss tile, and a main boss tile. Landing on a specific tiles calls for a specific action. This is explained in Combat. Or theres plain movement tiles, which is just another square on the grid you made. Each square is a tile.

3. This means that after you defeat the mini-boss, you roll two dice. If you check the Monster Roll Sheet, youll see the number passes 6. It continues to 12. Rolling two dice allows higher rolls for stronger monsters and large variety. :3

5. i respect the player enough to assume they can figure this one out on their own :P

6. The only difference is how you do the damage, whether the results on the die are the damage, or the Roll Sheet.

7. I will consider this. :)

8. When I made this game, I had NEVER touched a table top RPG. I wanted it to be as simple as an experience as possible. But this is a good idea :3 I dot know the 4-6 thingie, but ill look in to it! :)

Thank you, so much :) I again wasnt really sure what I was doing, I just wanted a basic home brew! Noy too much complication, so I could not only craft it but make it work. Please try it, I hope this helped, honestly everything you really need besides visuals is in the roll codes and rules :P Ill work on a good visual to help out, thanks for the feed back! Much appreciated