PDA

View Full Version : Holy Lack Of Motivation, Batman!

ABBQTurtle
04-13-2014, 01:49 PM
Okay, so just for starters, this topic has nothing to do with batman! As I have stated in previous posts, I am a new table top roleplayer! I got my start by a friend on Xbox Live giving me a little more info than what I already knew. I originally thought it was just some geeks sitting at a table and making up a story as they roll dice to predict the outcome. I was sort of right. Then when I realised NOBODY i knew did it, I figured if I was to try it, I would have to make one! So thats just what I did. If anybody would like information on that its on my profile and if you want to try it, let me know! Maybe ill post it and you can try it out for yourself! In all its basic dungeon crawling nooby glory haha. But anyways, upon logging on to this site I have discovered the game finder thingie! It came up with no results in my area and anything that did come up was posted in the beginning of 2013. :/ infact, the only thread ive found so far with any real current posting is the one I appear to be posting in right now! Is this forum a place for me to start? Is there a better forum to begin with? I am at a total loss, but yet I still feel a want to pursue this gaming style. Ive always had a guilty pleasure for Card games and board games. Infact, I love the Resident Evil: Deck Building Game. I enjoyed the Pen and Paper RPG i made. Im sure Id enjoy other peoples creations! I need help. Geeks of the internet, I call upon thee for your assistance! Will you help me in my hour of need? Perhaps a noble hero can step forth! Haha..

nijineko
04-18-2014, 12:00 PM
hmmmm. a lot of people use our gamer database, even if they are not active on the forums.

while we are a good site to find an online game, or to find online players for pickup games, and occasionally local players too; there are a number of other sites you should be aware of:

enworld.com
drivethrurpg.com
rpg.net forums
paizo.com forums
nobleknightgames.com forums
sjgames.com forums
gamecrafter.com and forums (make your own board and card games site...)
minmaxboards.com (game, system, & character design and optimization theories site)

also, don't neglect your local game shops - they might have boards where people can post looking-for-game/player announcements as well as potential play testers. (and invite people to join here, too!)

hope this helps. =D

ABBQTurtle
04-19-2014, 01:14 AM
This has actually been BEYOND helpful! Thank you so much :) I will keep all of this in mind! I have some gameshops local that have been really nice in the past. Also, just for a personal note, I was able to find a group! :D Im going to my first local game this Friday. :P

Sneaksta
04-19-2014, 07:08 AM
One more little tidbit, is that many in person local RPG/tabletop gaming groups setup a Facebook Group.

Log-in to Facebook, flit left to your favorites list ( if on a mobile ) , and enter into the search line something along the lines of

" Tampa Area Role Playing group ",

or " Tampa local gaming group"

and don't forget to try "Tampa Area Pathfinder Society"

... I lucked out and even found 2 groups within a reasonable distance from me .. Pay-dirt!!! And that is in the middle of Bum-Feck Nebraska, no less!!! One is in a town 45 miles away, and the other one rotates between the town I live in , and another town 22 miles away. And about every couple months we get both groups together, ie meet in the middle, and have one huge, Public, open invite : new and beginning players interested in learning new games welcome , and have a day long 9am to 8pm game-day. So cool, in my opinion.

A Mid-Nebraska Pathfinder Society; and a Central Nebraska Board Gaming Club- who also do RPG and CCGaming as well as a lot of the new non-standard Euro-Boardgames as well. Some of those, like Settlers of Catan, and Dominion, etc.

ABBQTurtle
04-19-2014, 02:58 PM

Malruhn
04-19-2014, 07:50 PM
The websites are great, but my favorite reference is always the local gaming stores. Just ask the geek at the front counter about local groups that play and if there is a gaming bulletin board where the groups advertise for openings in their groups.

MANY stores allow gaming IN the store - and that's a great way to both meet people and to watch a game in progress.