PDA

View Full Version : Consecutive Attacks

dragonlord5590
04-09-2014, 11:58 AM
I have a game (3.5 D&D) where I am playing a character that has a feat called "Lightning Maces" which makes it that whenever I crit I get another attack. My friend and I came up with an idea that involved making a enemy helpless and then performing a "Coup de grace". According to "Coup de grace" in the 3.5 rule book, it says that when a Coup is performed is automatically hits and is a crit. Now in this situation the enemy survives the hit and makes the necessary Fort save. If the enemy survives, is there anywhere in the rules that states that the next hit would need to be rolled? I'm still rather new to D&D so I may have over looked it but from the sounds of it unless house ruled, my attacks go in an infinite loop till the enemy is dead.

I hope you can help me with this cause I'd rather not piss my DM off lol. Thanks for your time.

http://dndtools.eu/feats/complete-warrior--61/lightning-mace--1770/<-- Lightning Maces description.

Sneaksta
04-09-2014, 01:11 PM
As the rule stated, it looks like it could be infinite. However, it may be broken or unintended that way, sort of like Mighty Cleave etc.

With mighty cleave, if you cleave, and your enemy dies, you can hit the next enemy automatically.. as long as they keep dying, you keep getting extra attacks etc.. I houseruled that out in my old campaign, via a area check.. they could cleave away until there were no more enemy within reach, ie 10. I see on the link you provided, mighty cleave is not on their feat list or under the phb list there.. However, check the 3.5 phb for regular cleave, looks fixed to show only 1 extra attack allowed etc, and cannot take a 5' step etc etc.

Back to your question though, if your enemy is "Helpless" , i see no reason not to make all attacks a coup etc. However, beating on a helpless foe repeatedly may seem to lack honor, lol. Or at least severe introspection into his/her alignment.. :p

dragonlord5590
04-09-2014, 03:38 PM
Thank you for you answer :D

I'll take a look into cleave. I talked to another friend that not playing and they said that they ruled back in the day that no matter what, any any extra attacks have to be rolled after the first attack.

As for the honor part... it's an evil campaign lol. Yeah my DM was not too happy with me, when I killed a adult Black Dragon in one turn, I was lvl 6 lol.

nijineko
04-12-2014, 07:20 PM
hmmm, i pulled that off the single combat vs dragon bit, only i think i was level 8 and it was a blue dragon, a step or two higher than an adult though. of course, i put a lot of prep into it, and i think the combat lasted three or four rounds. but i won, if barely. ^^

Sneaksta
04-13-2014, 01:51 AM
I had a level 2 rogue , and i took out a 7th level Gith-Yankee Knight, with a lasso.....

nijineko
04-18-2014, 11:01 AM
i see what you did there.... ^^