PDA

View Full Version : Random Dungeon Generator

DMMike
03-18-2014, 11:02 PM
"...and the steel guardian falls. The last bit of unstirred dust in the room clouds up above it, and your ears ring from the returning silence. What do you do?"

"I check the treasure chest for traps!"

"Hold, Stickypalms. We're racing against time, remember? GM, I lead the party dungeon-north, through the collapsed section of wall ahead."

::GM clicks "Next Room" on the O.G.R.E. Random Dungeon Generator::

This is a project made possible (for me, anyway) via the Online Generator Randomizer Engine (OGRE) over at ENworld. So far, no one's offering me any help with this endeavor. So if a Click-for-Next-Room dungeon app sounds like something you'd like to use, drop me a line here or swing over to ENworld to help me get it off the ground.

nijineko
03-20-2014, 04:59 PM
they better watch out for copyright infringement with that name....

DMMike
03-22-2014, 01:05 AM
With the name OGRE? I hope you're kidding.

Who's not kidding: the people not choosing to respond to my pleas for help. Strange, I would love a room-by-room automatic dungeon designer. It would almost run itself without a GM. Yet, not a peep from the masses. I guess they're all using donjon...

nijineko
03-22-2014, 01:31 PM
No seriously, the name is copyrighted.

http://www.sjgames.com/ogre/

However, I'm sure that if they could manage a different enough presentation, that SJGames wouldn't be too worried about it. After all, they are pretty cool people to work with, unlike the lawyer happy W/H conglomerate.

*DISCLOSURE: I am a MIB for SJGames, however, my comments above are my own opinion, and cannot represent actual and/or legal stance of SJGames. Or the W/H conglomerate, for that matter.

DMMike
03-23-2014, 12:02 AM
Now you have me wondering about the nuances of copyright law. I seem to recall that terribly common terms, like ogre, can only have reserved rights within a certain scope. For example, if you name your robot factory "Red," then someone else can still name their book "Red," and yet another person can still call his tax-practice "Red."

But then, I haven't looked at copyright law for a good 20 years or so.

Well, the good news is that I'm almost done with my One Page Dungeon, so I'll have more time to work on the random dungeons (in which, it seems, only I am interested).

nijineko
03-25-2014, 01:30 PM
it is my personal opinion that O.G.R.E. and Ogre are different enough to pass muster, taking a second look at both. Even if Ogre happens to be an acronym as used inside the books, it is still shown as a single word on the title. Actually, I think there is a 3d engine that is also called ogre, iirc. ^^ not to mention the mythical monster(s).

DMMike
03-26-2014, 08:48 AM
Here's my basic idea: version 1 of the random dungeon generator creates a complex that is a generic "dungeon." Which is to say, underground, tile/brick, and dangerous. Much like anything made by the ancient Nords of Skyrim.

Before a GM clicks "Next room," he can tailor a handful of things: encounter difficulty (based on PC abilities), room size (based on where the room needs to fit in the map) - the main ones. Then, everything is random:

- Room size
- Room shape
- Room lighting
- Room contents/obstacles
- Enemies/friends present
- Treasure
- Number/type of exits
- Traps
- Clues (to a puzzle encounter)

Each "random" decision will actually be based on a die roll and bell curve - so while "shadowy" might be the default lighting, there's the possibility that dark, bright, and dim rooms are present as well (but not as likely).

The random dungeon will still require a handful of GM pregens, because it cannot (yet?) account for different systems, house rules, genres, and power levels. So each random dungeon will probably require 5-7 pregenerated NPC/monsters, and 5-7 traps as well. I'm hoping that treasure is generic enough to not require system-specific rules.

I'll be including the dungeon-dressing tables from a DMG, some awesome ideas from Dungeonscape, and some encounter and random-dungeon ideas from Miniatures Handbook.

Tip of the iceberg, my friends. Any other ideas so far?

Read more: http://www.enworld.org/forum/showthread.php?353628-OGRE-Dungeon-Recruiting-and-work-thread#ixzz2x4nzOxs6

Sneaksta
03-27-2014, 01:01 PM
You would almost have to make some specific encounter tables that are swappable. For instance, using a generic encounter table filled with tons of different random monsters may not work well.. Say you are exploring a Duergar mine or such, it wouldn't really work out if your random generator pulled from a large mixed table, and pow, next room houses a dryad or some such monster that doesn't fit your campaign lol. Some system of cut and paste and or easily swappable tables would be a boon.

DMMike
03-29-2014, 10:22 PM
Well, as I mentioned above, I could see the GM having 5-7 pregenerated monsters. The smart way to do them would be to rate them weaker than, equal to, and tougher than the PCs. Two of each...and an endboss. But I think it would be easy enough to provide links to other monster generators, if specific, random monsters were desired. I bet you could easily find monster generators for D&D 3.5, 4, and Pathfinder.

I know, it takes some of the spontaneity out of a "random dungeon generator," but who really wants to run a Zorn encounter, anyway?