PDA

View Full Version : What is too small to run an RPG- an isolated tiny slow spacecraft

cloa513
03-13-2014, 09:13 PM
Some guy posted on RPG StackOverflow something like given current technology what system would work for space travel.

And I thought about it. It would be 15 people (like the ISS) in Zero G- the spacecraft would have to be enormous like a city size with limited access to occupants. Current AI could be really awesome- what is keeping it back is really corporate and political- corporate wants a black box computer systems that's why Autopilot systems and many others are so dumb and politicians and voters believe in human absolute control so AI could control cooperatively with the human staff relieving the humans of all the heavy lifting without the stress of being totally uninformed of why what is happening. It would probably have to subsume an asteroid to protect against radiation. An almost totally isolated world with maybe TV/radio signals and prerecorded information. They'd have to be breeding- this trip would take hundreds of generations.

Malruhn
03-19-2014, 09:46 PM
For breeding purposes, for sheer species continuation, you need at LEAST 50 breeding pairs. For actual regeneration of the species, you need at least 250 individuals, with about a 50:50 mix of genders. This would greatly reduce the threat of interbreeding and subsequent birth defects.

nijineko
03-20-2014, 04:57 PM
and very careful tracking of genealogies....

cloa513
03-25-2014, 04:54 AM
Wouldn't 20 individuals of highly varied backgrounds, an expansive sperm bank, an ovuum bank, genetic engineering and reproductive technology all mitigate against in-breeding?

nijineko
03-25-2014, 01:11 PM
that is highly dependent upon a vast number of variables and probabilities which render the question incalculable.

Not the least of which is preventing the younglings from impregnating each other for enough generations to build a viable genepool with sufficient lack of overlap to be racially sustainable. it's harder than you would think, even with tech - and again, assuming that they keep the tech going from generation to generation with so few numbers to fix stuff, gather new resources, make spare parts, etc...

DMMike
03-26-2014, 08:57 AM
something like given current technology

Does this mean what I think it means?

Given current technology, space travel is limited to moon landings (or so we're told). Sure, we could dump some people on Mars, but we'd either have to dope them up or force them to play Second Life over the whole trip, just to keep them from going (mildly) crazy. Better yet, Elder Scrolls Online.

Then I read:

What is too small to run an RPG
and thought, "oh, we're talking about an adventure set in a slow, small spacecraft. Awesome!" Each of your encounters would be psychological, but as stress levels rose (your subsystem), physical encounters would increase as well. The game's goal: keep your crew alive until landing. See Alien for an example of sorts.

nijineko
03-26-2014, 12:58 PM
See Mush (http://mush.twinoid.com).

magic-rhyme
04-18-2014, 05:09 PM
For breeding purposes, for sheer species continuation

I dunno . . . I rather like the idea of a game in which all the current crew have become idiots due to genetic interbreeding, which was the plan of the government all along because stupid people make controllable people.

Onboard education could consist exclusively of Bill O'Reilly and Sean Hannity rants, and all entertainment could involve youtube videos and pinterest collages. Religion and social interaction could be ruled over by Facebook, where your value as a marriage partner would be determined entirely by how many Friends you have listed in your profile.

It would be like the RPG Paranoia! met the movie Idiocracy, but set in space!

nijineko
04-18-2014, 05:13 PM

oh, you mean Redshirt (http://www.redshirtgame.com)?

magic-rhyme
04-19-2014, 05:33 PM

Or, if anyone wants it as a film, Star Wreck: In the Pirkinning, freely accessible with copyright holder permission at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RHAPXlVq5lk

There was a proper pen-&-paper freeware game system something like that, focused on the hapless Night Crew of the Enterprise or an expy thereof. I have been unable to remember its name, I have been unsuccessful in my occasional searches for it over the years. So if anyone knows whereof I write, please let me know!

nijineko
04-21-2014, 07:39 PM
you might try asking the crew over at noble knight games - they specialize in that sort of thing, and might be able to recognize it by description - send them an email.