PDA

View Full Version : Part 1: Act 2: Scene 5



Narayan
03-09-2014, 06:09 PM
http://i1345.photobucket.com/albums/p662/crowsontheskulls/World%20of%20Sion/Maps/th_OverlandMapofKingdomofVulkh_zps06c08861.png (http://s1345.photobucket.com/user/crowsontheskulls/media/World%20of%20Sion/Maps/OverlandMapofKingdomofVulkh_zps06c08861.png.html)h ttp://i1345.photobucket.com/albums/p662/crowsontheskulls/World%20of%20Sion/Maps/th_CityofMasaeusDetailedFixed.png (http://s1345.photobucket.com/user/crowsontheskulls/media/World%20of%20Sion/Maps/CityofMasaeusDetailedFixed.png.html)http://i1345.photobucket.com/albums/p662/crowsontheskulls/World%20of%20Sion/Things/th_LawsofVulkh.jpg (http://s1345.photobucket.com/user/crowsontheskulls/media/World%20of%20Sion/Things/LawsofVulkh.jpg.html) http://i1345.photobucket.com/albums/p662/crowsontheskulls/World%20of%20Sion/Diagrams/th_VulkyriePrison.jpg (http://s1345.photobucket.com/user/crowsontheskulls/media/World%20of%20Sion/Diagrams/VulkyriePrison.jpg.html)
Where: Continent of Akhenaten - Kingdom of Vulkh - Undercity of Masaeus

When: 500th Year of the 3rd Age - Tuesday Morning - April 10th
__________________________________________________ ____


We are on DDS 125 now on rolz.org... please everyone roll up new Fate Pools​.

Narayan
03-09-2014, 07:00 PM
__________________________________________________ _____

[Approximate Time in Game: = 5 AM]


As you stand witness at the lower end of the cavern, a foul creature steps closer towards you. (now 50 ft. away) It appears more or less humanoid, but has mottled, decaying flesh drawn tight across clearly visible bones. It is mostly hairless and has a carnivore’s sharp teeth. Its eyes burn like hot coals in their sunken sockets.

Ghost in the Darkness: Recognizes the creature and frowns. "Yes... as I expected. This cavern is home to Ghouls and Ghasts... They are little threat to me of course, but their paralyzing claws might be your downfall... However, it is capable of speech and reason, perhaps I can negotiate with it? One undead to another... it should respect me. So I say let it approach. Do not attack unless I say so, agreed?"

[What do you do?]

rtcvb32
03-09-2014, 07:08 PM
(Since the last battle/scene, how much healing have any lycanthropes (namely me) gotten?)

Supernatural creatures, undead, although it made Sauel growl he wasn't ready to jump head first to fighting a ghoul. His own experiences with the undead were more limited to helping track and familiarization rather than actual fighting. Well until the ghoul made the first attack he would hold his position.

Daydreaming
03-09-2014, 07:13 PM
{Emiko does as Ghost bids and waits for negotiations.}

(Fate Pool: 20D20 => 232.)

Narayan
03-09-2014, 10:08 PM
(Since the last battle/scene, how much healing have any lycanthropes (namely me) gotten?)

Well, it's been one hour since the battle with the Bugbears. That means you'd have regenerated 9 hp's since then. Any other healing would have come from drinking potions or maybe some spells from Cred... all of which would have been mentioned in posts that you should have kept track of.


Well, it's been one hour since the battle with the Bugbears. That means you'd have regenerated 9 hp's since then. Any other healing would have come from drinking potions or maybe some spells from Cred... all of which would have been mentioned in posts that you should have kept track of.

Well most healing and damage is applied right away and easy to track; Regeneration is a little trickier to keep track of. The last battle Sauel took damage from wasn't the Bugbears but rather the fireball from Cred.


Well most healing and damage is applied right away and easy to track; Regeneration is a little trickier to keep track of. The last battle Sauel took damage from wasn't the Bugbears but rather the fireball from Cred.

Well, if you haven't applied that 9 hp's of healing from regeneration yet go ahead and do that.


Well, if you haven't applied that 9 hp's of healing from regeneration yet go ahead and do that.

I have, and I only needed 8 to heal up completely (due to some quick healing via Cred after Sauel escaped the explosion defurred...).

Probably combine all these into a single post/conversation for simplicity.

Narayan
03-10-2014, 03:28 AM
As you watch in guarded position the ghoul moves closer with steady confident steps. It's garments are completely soiled and torn to shreds, but if you had to guess, this creature was once a human. Likely an Akhenaten slave that died in the undercity mines...

As it steps It's glowing eyes observe you with obvious intelligence, sizing you up. When it gets within twenty paces or so it halts, but even at that distance it's stench is almost overwhelming!

Ghast: {speaks Akhenaten}"Intruders! Or should I say, fresh meat?" It asks with a hungry gleam in its eyes as its sharpened teeth and claw-like fingers look easily capable of tearing you to pieces.

Ghost in the Darkness: Steps forward. {Answers in Akhenaten} "You will not find this group to be an easy meal, Ghast!" He says flashing his fangs. (Intimidate Check: = 14)

Ghast: narrows its gaze at Ghost, and nods respectfully. (Sense Motive Check: = 19) "A Vampire?! How interesting... yes you would be too strong for me, but I never said I was alone..." It adds with a loud hiss.

At that moment at least a dozen more ghouls appear at the edge of your darkvision, moving to surround you!

Ghost in the Darkness: Frowns. "We don't have time for this! I see how hungry you are... I understand that better then most. Leave us alone, and I will provide you with other fresh victims." (Bluff Check: = 28)

Ghast: (Sense Motive Check: = 21) "People say anything to save their lives. Always empty promises. Step aside vampire, or we will destroy you as well!"

Ghost in the Darkness: "Have you heard of the Ghost in the Darkness?"

Ghast: Laughs. "What of him?"

Ghost in the Darkness: (Bluff Check: = 28) "I am his employer. You think fresh victims would be hard for someone like that to acquire? Trust me, this is not an empty promise."

Ghast: (Sense Motive Check: = 21) "Hmm... well, even if I wanted to believe you. I can't speak for the others. As you know our hunger is very great indeed! It is not so easy to put aside a meal of fresh flesh..." He says running his tongue over his sharpened teeth staring at the group.

Ghost in the Darkness: Nods. "Perhaps you just lack sufficient motivation to convince the others..." Ghost moves his fingers and his lips in an almost imperceptibly quick and subtle fashion (swift action)... an instant later the Ghast is outlined in a burning effigy of ghostly violet flames!

Ghast: (Reflex save, DC 22: = 20, Fail)(Damage: = 6)

The Ghast begins to hiss and scream as his dead flesh burns! Meanwhile the other Ghouls continue to move forward.

Ghost in the Darkness: "I'd do my best to stop them if I were you... or you'll soon just be a pile of ashes!"

Ghast: Cries out to the other ghouls. "STOP! DO NOT ATTACK! I made a bargain with this vampire!"

The Ghast starts to step backwards, as if some distance might cancel the spell, but it does not. The fire continues to burn it. So it keeps crying out to the others. Tense moments follow, as the other Ghouls argue or try and ignore the burning Ghast. But in the end, he is so insistent that they reluctantly step back into the shadows.

Ghast: Moves close to the vampire again, smoking and screeching with pain. "I have done it! Pleeeease cease this agony!"

Ghost in the Darkness: Waves his fingers again and the flames disappear. "Good. You will see I am a man of my word. At this same hour tomorrow, other victims will appear here for you to feed upon."

Ghast: "Thank you!" The creature says, before it too moves with haste into the shadows.

Ghost in the Darkness: Speaking in Common again to the rest of you. "We should be safe now."

rtcvb32
03-10-2014, 04:51 AM
Being surrounded by ghouls wasn't something he enjoyed and looked between them nervously, more nervous wondering if and when to attack, still while Ghost was bargaining he held himself in place keeping well out of reach and stride from one of their attacks. Having them leave from Ghost's forward, blunt, and harsh yet likely mostly honest demeanor could only make him wonder what replacement victims he meant. Course if it was a bluff and he never intended to feed them was something Sauel had no ability to calculate for the undead, and hoped they would merely be some Vul that were hunted, or maybe those hunting Ghost and not simply bystanders.

This is where being a paladin would never work, especially as a lycanthrope and in lycanthrope politics where if you weren't aware of it before you were in the area there was no reason for you to go out of your way to try and fix an area either. Sauel could only hope he was doing more good than bad in these cases.

With the ghouls now gone and the stench filling his nose he almost wondered if he would have preferred to fight the spiders... At least detached spider limbs don't keep crawling after you...

Shun001
03-10-2014, 06:45 PM
((post pending))

voidoblivion
03-10-2014, 09:14 PM
The ghast and the ghouls were almost to much mixed with the stench of death. ~Thank Userwroth for his protection ~ Looking at the others. Then asking "How many non detection scrolls do we have? I can make three others non detectable beyond the scrolls? But this will all depend on how many will be ascending with us? Also " He looks to Emiko. " could I have the silk rope and some viles of acid so I can be prepared to make an opening?"

He walks over to ghost asking. "are those the shafts we must fly into?"

Narayan
03-11-2014, 12:45 AM
He walks over to ghost asking. "are those the shafts we must fly into?"

Ghost in the Darkness: Nods to Crdechzkragar. "They are indeed. We should take a closer look."

Ghost leads you forward towards the dim light from the Vulkyrie dungeon above... the stench of the place only gets worse the closer you get to the garbage chutes; and when you finally reach them it's obvious they are the source of the smell. Huge piles of old bones, rotten bits of flesh and feces, deposited here over centuries, loom before you. The chutes themselves are about 50 ft. above, chiseled through the caverns ceiling.

Daydreaming
03-11-2014, 12:52 AM
~Ghost is very wise... What does Cred mean about the rope? They didn't grab it?!~

"I left the rope I had on the table for all of you in Faereg's home. I assumed one of you took it with you..." She says in response to Cred.

{She stops suddenly and pukes on the ground as she get's closer to the rotting stench.}

~I remember it too well... This smell is too much...~

Narayan
03-11-2014, 03:47 AM
Posted for Sauel


Although as the stench increased Sauel tried to use the bandages he used as a blindfold as a filter over his mouth and nose. He could feel his stomach wanting to empty. It was hard to tell what was worse at this point, and watching Emiko hurl made him want to throw up even more.

~Not good.... thankfully our scent isn't going to give us away~

voidoblivion
03-11-2014, 04:00 PM
He follows Ghost not allowing the stench to bother him and doing hid best not to taste the air. it was a awful smell and taste. "I did not grab it, with everything else I am carrying I would not of been able to move adding that to the bundle, I assumed some one else grabbed it." He says looking back at the others.

Narayan
03-11-2014, 05:30 PM
Ghost in the Darkness: "I took the rope back at the Cottage, but I have plenty more of it and other useful tools on me. I wouldn't be much of a smuggler if I didn't keep myself well supplied with such things."

Olo: Answers Crdechzkragar. "Thiara gave me five scrolls of non-detection. We might as well use them now that we are here. Do we need to go over the plan again or are we good to go?"

Daydreaming
03-11-2014, 05:46 PM
"I'm ready..." She says, spitting off to the side away from the others.

Shun001
03-11-2014, 10:48 PM
"I ready, tell where you the need" Xiaolong offers himself up for direction.

he took part of his top and covered his nose with it to no avail it still reeks.

~after this we all need a drink I think.~

voidoblivion
03-13-2014, 07:29 AM
He nods and begins to count heads "I can cast non-detection on two others saving one for our friend, giving us a total of 7, which would leave..." he finishes counting. (how many are in the party?) "I think it would be wise to go over one more time really quickly what the plan is so everyone is clear on what we are doing."

Narayan
03-13-2014, 11:06 PM
Ghost in the Darkness: "I am going to shift into gaseous form and float past the bars above us into the dungeon and take a look around. Cred will fly up to the bars behind me carrying some rope. He will then melt through the bars at the top and bottom of the garbage chutes with acid, leaving one bar left to tie rope unto so others can climb up who can't fly."

"When I give the ok signal, Cred, Emiko and Purusartha will enter the dungeon first. Cred and I will fly up to free Palenrian. Emiko and Purusartha will ready ranged weapons to cover us. Others can enter at that point as well if they choose. When we've got Palenrian, I will tie a rope and descend back down with him. Probably carrying him since he won't likely have the strength to hold the rope himself...Then, we all descend back down the same way we got in."

Olo: "As Cred said there's only seven non-detection spells. I will use them on whoever wants to enter the dungeon besides Cred and Ghost who can shield themselves. Emiko and Purusartha have already agreed to go, but who else?"

rtcvb32
03-14-2014, 05:07 AM
Sauel looks up to the bars above, thinking for a few moments before looking to Olo. "I'llll Goooo...." he says in a half growl in his currently hybrid form. "Aaallthough I'll taaake uup theee rearrr". He wasn't sure how much help he would be while lacking ranged weapons. Merely being there could change the tide of the battle, although he'd rather it went quickly, quietly and safely. It went down to if Olo cast it on him or if Cred or one of the others thought he should wait, which then would mean he'd hope they weren't detected and could leave quickly and quietly.

Narayan
03-14-2014, 05:17 AM
The Sand Dragon Inn, approximately 9pm, April 9th...

You are eating a meal at a side table with an interesting foreigner. A Mgorongoron youth, late into his teens you would guess. Very tall and lanky, wearing poor common garb. He's missing teeth and looks generally malnourished and downtrodden.

After you heard him play a peculiar stick-instrument out on the street earlier, you were inclined to strike up conversation with him and after a friendly chat you came into the Inn to share something to eat. The boys name is Bosede.

Elidor: Says grace and blesses the meal (with a detect posion spell) before they begin to eat. "Where did you learn to play such an instrument?" He asks Bosede.

[The food is not poisoned and delicious.]

Bosede: "I learned from my father Babatunde. He was very good! I am still learning." He says with a gapped grin before be takes several hungry bites of his food. "I am so hungry, I play all day so I can afford this meal!" He chuckles. "Hopefully I get better soon so I can eat more often!"

Elidor: Chuckles at the latter revelation and responds in a happy mirthful tone "Carful with that hope, get too good and you might get fat!" Elidor begins to eat his own meal with gusto. "You are from Mgorongoro am I right?"

Bosede: Nods. "Yes I am. Mgorongoro is very tough living. Always violence and warlords fighting one another. My father was a poor merchant for as long as I could remember. He sold native goods to richer merchants who made much better profits trading them abroad. But after my mother and sister were killed, my father say Mgorongoro is bad place. Nothing there he wants anymore... so we take what money he had saved and take a ship here."

"My father say that many merchants make good profit here in Masaeus. He think he can do likewise. But he was wrong." Bosede says sadly.

Elidor: Frowns and asks softly. "What happen?"

Bosede: "He was cheated... local merchants took advantage that he had no friends and forced him into bad deals. My father good man, but he try and protect me so he no stand up to them. He is afraid to put us in danger."

Elidor: "I am deeply sorry to hear that Bosede. do you have plans then? What shall you do with your life?"

Bosede: Shrugs. "I am surviving, but I need to learn more skills. I am not interested in following my fathers footsteps. A lot of coin has based through his hands yes, but in the end he kept very little of it. I don't trust that business."

"You look like you are content Elidor, yet you do not seem very wealthy despite being much older then I, no offense... I merely wish to know what is your secret to being at peace in such a cruel place as this?"

Elidor: "Ha! Were I of an age similar to yours I would not feel so achy at night. I am a priest, Bosede, and such a life comes with some luxuries although it also carries a great weight. The most I can tell you about my success in life is a result of my passions. What passions do you have?"

Bosede: "I like music, I like to work with my hands. I like to talk to people and help people. My mother always said I was a good boy. I want to make her proud and stay out of trouble. Where did you come from Elidor? And who do you know here in Masaeus?"

Elidor: "Well Bosede, those are definitely good things to like. I am from many places and I know many people. Hardships are what make a man. I see you have faced some already and so I will tell you this, meet me here in the morning and we shall see about getting you a apprenticeship with a local Guild. Hard work it might be, but if you never stop learning it will be well worth it. Do you have a place to stay?"

Bosede: "I have places to stay yes. No need to worry about me." He says with a smile, as if happy that you even asked. "Tell me more about being a priest Elidor? Is it difficult? Does it take long to learn? Did you ever want to do anything else?"

Elidor: "Well yes there are many things I have wanted to do and try, but this is my life and it suites me. These other questions are a bit harder Bosede. My life is not difficult in my eyes, I see what needs to be done and I do it, But others would be hard pressed to even take a step in my shoes. as for how long it takes to learn, well one is never done learning when one is a priest, you simply know more then you did before if that makes any sense to you? Why do you ask?"

Bosede: "I like to imagine myself in other people's shoes. It's what keeps me thinking about things other than how much my feet hurt. Back home in Mgorongoro there are priests too... they worship Mawu, the god of Magic, Nature and Spirits. Is your god like that? What is his name?"

Elidor: "The keeper of my faith is known as Meriadar where i come from, and no he is not really like your Mawu. Meriadar cares not for things like magic or nature, He is a visonary Bosede. He watches our world and sees the good and the bad things that happen, and wants for just one thing. Peace. he wants all the races and all the people to be as one. I have a question for you Bosede, when you look at me what do you see?"

Bosede: Swallows and takes a long look at you, not so much critically, more like he's having fun with it. "I see a nice man. I don't see an enemy, I see someone who could be my friend. Is that the right answer?" He asks excitedly.

Elidor: "There are no right and wrongs here Bosede, but that is a good answer." Elidor pats his shoulder gently. "You are a good man Bosede, I can see the life of a guilds man is not for you. How would you like to wander Bosede?"

Bosede: "I would like to travel and meet more exotic people. The world is so vastly large, I don't think anyone has seen it all. But perhaps your god has? Do you think so? Have you ever spoken with him?"

Elidor: Laughs at the simplicity of the questions before him. "I have never spoken to him Bosede, but he has spoken to me. The voice of Meriadar can be very subtle though and so sometimes I fail to listen. I believe Meriadar has seen it, as have some others, but the reason I ask you Bosede is I would set you upon a path if your willing."

Bosede: "What sort of path?" He asks curiously.

Elidor: "One of discovery. It will not be easy, and it will require your utmost attention. I can give you the items you need to see the world. To travel every road your feet can find. and On this path of discovery, I will ask you only one thing, and its very simple Bosede. All you have to do is learn. Where ever you go pick up every bit of knowledge you can and give it to others who look to be able to learn it. How does that sound?"

Bosede: Smiles. "That sounds very fulfilling. Is that what you do Elidor?"

Elidor: "It is what I once did. No longer do I walk such a path, but I have the things a man once gave me Bosede and I would give them to you just as he did to me. Would you walk the path I have set before you?"

Bosede: Nods. "I would like to try..." He looks away for a moment and frowns, as if saddened by something he's remembered. "Elidor... does your god protect you? Can he protect others you care about?"

Elidor: Frowns as memories of old play in his mind leaving a distant look in his eyes. He stutters as he speaks in a soft somber tone. "In some ways yes he does Bosede, but not always in the way I would prefer. All the gods are strange Bosede, they do things in ways we cannot see nor fathom. What bades this question? Do you feel you need to be protected from something?"

Your conversation is interrupted then by sounds of shouting and the sight of people running through the streets outside the Inn. The bouncer, a tough-looking half dwarf standing by the entrance starts to look very concerned. Other patrons in the common room are also looking frightened or on edge. What do you do?

Elidor: Stands and moves towards the open entrance of the Inn and looks for any in need of assistance.

The scene you see before you is one close to anarchy. Street-peddlers have abandoned their stalls while people toss aside their burdens to run. Men, women, children... and the occasional paniced horse rush about in all directions. Meanwhile, squads of city guards dart about, accosting and arresting anyone in sight! What do you do?

Elidor: Frowns deeply at the sight and a dozen thoughts flash before his eyes before settling on one... he rushes back to the table with Bosede "Quickly come with me!" Elidor pulls him to his feet and begin to wade through the tavern room to the stairs pulling Bosede behind him. "It isn't safe down here anymore."

Bosede: Resists and shakes his head. "It isn't safe for you!" He says quickly. "I can't..."

Suddenly a loud voice shouts through the common room. "BOSEDE!"

You turn to see a cruel-looking akhenaten man step into the common room flanked by two burly-looking thugs. Bosede's complexion pales a bit and you see droplets of worrisome sweat form on his brow.

The bouncer tries to step between you and the three men, but the two thugs look capable of grinding gravel between their teeth and step up to him fearlessly muttering something in a low voice that you can't quite overhear. The bouncer then backs away, clearly unhappy but apparently cowed. What do you do?

Elidor: "Quickly Bosede, you asked if Meriadar protects me, Well I can tell you that he is protecting you now. Quickly run up the stairs to the third door on the left!" Shoves him forward while trying to keep my body between him and the three men.

Bosede: Looks like he's about to cry. "I Can't run! They have my father!" He explains exasperatedly.

The Akhenaten men points his finger assertively at the both of you. "YOU TWO! STOP RIGHT THERE!" Meanwhile the pair of thugs start to move towards you threateningly. They are 30 ft. away. Roll initiative.

<start of round 1>

Elidor: (Initiative: = 22)(Okay so what is the composition of the stairs and how are they built?)

They are built of stone, as are the lower-story walls, sturdily made.

Elidor: (damn but fine) I'll cast Obscuring Mist directly between us and the thugs and continue to shove Bosede towards/up the stairs. "Talk up stairs, for now just trust me. Where is your father? who has him and why are they after you?"

<start of round 2>

You make it up unto the 2nd floor and start moving down the hall before the thugs step through the obsuring mist behind you. (Thugs initiative: = 3)

Bosede: (Initiative: = 17) "It's hopless!" He exclaims. "They are Vulfear! There is no place we can hide from them."

Elidor: Hold my turn to sync it with Bosede before continuing to shove him into my room. "We aren't hiding, we are buying time. Now where are they keeping your father? Tell me and i will do all i can to save him but you have to leave. Grab that pack there and put it on!" Softly shuts the door and begins to cast summon monster 1 (celestial dog).

<start of round 3>

Bosede: Does as he's told, clearly shaken with fear and wide-eyed with adrenaline. "They don't tell me where he is. They said I had to spy for them to pay off his debt and earn his release."

Elidor: Turns to Bosede. "Stay here and hide. I'm going to cast invisibility on you. Wait till everything is quiet and then leave the city. I will make sure none are looking for you. Read the book in the bag it will explain the path and help guide you. I will not rest till I free your father Bosede this I swear to you."

<start of round 4>

Casts Disguise Self remodeling my appearance after Bosede and uses Sound Imitation to mimic his voice.

<start of round 5>

I then cast Invisibility on him before opening the door and running out with the dog set to run ahead of me and jump out the window before vanishing to its homeplane after one more turn of fleeing in an attempt to get out of sight before vanishing. I will yell after the dog "Run Elidor I will hold them off!"

<start of round 6>

The thugs are standing out in the hall when you open the door. They are clearly confused by your words. One of them tries to tackle the dog as it moves past with Improved Grapple.

Thug #1: (Touch Attack: = 20, Hit)(Opposed Grapple: = 16, Win)

Celestial Dog: (Uses Bite Attack against Thug: = 6, Miss)

One of the thugs manages to tackle the dog as it attempts to run past. The other one steps towards you, and at the top of the stairs the cruel-looking Akhenaten man glares at you, whom he thinks is Bosede.

Cruel Akhenaten man: "BOSEDE! What is this nonsense?!" He scolds. "Grab him!" He orders his other thug, who steps forward and attempts to initiate a grapple with you.

Thug #2: (Touch Attack: = 10, Miss)

Elidor: Attempts to charge Thug #1 and break his grapple with the celestial dog.

Thug #1 and the dog are towards the end of the hallway towards the far eastern window the dog was going for, so you will provoke attacks of opportunity from Thug #2 and/or the Akhenaten man attempting to reach him because you have to brush past them to reach it.

Thug #2: (AOO Grapple check: = 22, Hit)

Elidor: (Opposed Grapple Check vs. Thug #2: = 11, Loose)

Thug #2: (Grapple Check vs. Elidor: = 16, Win)

Thug #2 snatches at your neck as you try and brush past, pulling you into a grapple. He then applies his considerable strength into dealing non-lethal damage. (Non Lethal Damage: = 5)

Elidor: (Opposed Grapple Check vs. Thug #2 attempting to break free: = 14, Loose)

Thug #2: (Grapple Check vs. Elidor trying to break free: = 15, Win)

<start of round 7>

Bosede: Moves from the open room, still invisible, and moves up silently behind Thug #2. (Move Silently Check: = 7, possible fumble)(Fumble Check: = 19, Not a fumble)

Thug #2: (Listen Check: = 7)

For a moment Thug #2 thinks he hears something from behind him, but as he can see nothing, and is so busy struggling to hold Elidor he disregards it.

Bosede: Produces a hidden dagger and strikes to backstab Thug #2: (Sneak Attack w/ Dagger vs. Thug #2: = 18, Hit)(Location: Gut)(Damage: = 9) "I WON'T LET YOU HURT HIM LIKE YOU DID MY FATHER!" He yells as his dagger sinks into the Thug's gut, and thus instantly loosing the invisibility spell.

Thug #2: Yells out in pain and shock. He notices in shock that there are suddenly two Bosede's and releases Elidor from his grapple out of confusion.

<start or round 8>

Elidor: Takes the opportunity to step away from Thug #2, grabbing his Bag of Stones from his pack on Bosede's back and throwing one at Thug #2! (Ranged Attack: = 23, Hit)(Location: Right Hand)(Damage: = 5)

Thug #2: Gasps with unexpected pain at the force of being hit by Elidor's pebble.

Bosede: (Attacks Thug #2 Again w/ dagger: = 24, possible crit)(Crit confirm check: = 11, Not a crit)(Location: = Left Arm)(Damage: = 5)

Thug #2 stumbles backwards, bleeding now from two stab wounds. Elidor's Celestial dog blinks out of existence at this point, and Thug #1 charges up to defend Thug #2, drawing a curved short sword.

The Akhenaten man sneers and draws another curved short sword. "WHAT IS THIS TRICKERY?!" He shouts adding in a lower tone full of cruelty. "Your life is forfeit now Bosede... same as your fathers!" He looks to Thug #1 and shouts at him. "ATTACK THEM!"

Thug #1: (Charge Attack vs. Bosede: = 25, Hit)(Location: Left Eye)(Damage: = 8)

Thug #1 cruely slashes Bosede across the face, blinding his left eye. The young Mgorongoron cries out in agony and collapses!

<start of round 9>

Elidor: 5 Ft. Step back, throws another magic pebble. (Ranged Attack vs. Thug #1: = 18, Hit)(Location: Gut)(Damage: = 13)

Thug #2: Draws his Short Sword and charges Elidor! (Charge Elidor w/ Short sword: = 13, Hit)(Location: Right Arm)(Damage: = 6)

Thug #1: Attacks Elidor. (Attack w/ Short Sword: = 16, Hit)(Location: Left Hand)(Damage: = 5)

The Akhenaten man moves up to Bosede's body now that there are two thugs between him and you. He kicks the boys dagger out of his hand before he kneels down pressing his blade to his neck while he checks his pulse with his other hand. "He's Alive!" He shouts. "You want to save him, surrender!" (Bluff Check: = 31)

Elidor: (Sense Motive Check: = 10) Holds up his hands and speaks a word of peace in dwarven. "I just wanted to give the boy a chance, I didn't mean for injury to befall any of you."

The thugs step forward and seize you, twisting your arms painfully and kicking your legs out until you are forced to lie prone on your stomach. Then they shackle you at the wrists and ankles while one presses his full weight down on his knee pressed painfully down on your back. The other does the same across your neck though not quite enough to choke you.

Akhenaten Man: Sheathes his sword, sparing Bosede's life. "That one is a caster for sure! Gag him and break his fingers!"

He instructs the thugs, who do as they are bid. As your fingers start to be snapped one by one, they shove a sack over your head before all you see is blackness.

__________________________________________________ ___

<to be continued>

voidoblivion
03-14-2014, 07:20 AM
"Sauel if everything goes as planned this should not take to long. Those who are down here may need you in case the ghouls and ghasts change there feeble minds and allow their hunger to rule there thoughts." Turning Olo "let us cast non detection on Emiko and Purusartha. while myself and ghost head up. I will begin by cutting the bars so that when Ghost finishes his scouting. From there is all goes as planned we can secure the rope and allow Emiko and Purusartha to climb up the rope as additional support. I will then fly up and cast non detect on our friend, while cutting a few bars of his cage so he can escape. With Ghosts help we can all then make it to the cavern again." He looks around to make sure everyone agrees " then if things go bad at that point, I will get us all quickly to safety with the help of Userwroths blessings." Finishes what he has to say, and waits to make sure everyone is ready before moving over to Ghost to begin his flight.

Narayan
03-15-2014, 04:31 PM
Ghost in the Darkness: Opens a Bag of Holding and removes some coils of silk rope. "Here you go Crdechzkragar. Take two coils, that'll be enough to reach the ground from the top of the garbage chute. There's more where that came from, I'll take the rest up with me."


Silk Rope; 5 lbs per 50 ft. This rope has 4 hit points and can be burst with a DC 24 strength check. It is so supple it allows for a +2 circumstance bonus on Use Rope checks.

Olo: Casts non-detection from the scrolls on Emiko. Purusartha and Sauel. "Anyone else going up? There's three more scrolls here..." He asks.

Sher' Reek: Steps over to Crdechzkragar speaking to him in a confidential tone. {Speaks in Draconic} "Crdechzkaragar, let me go up with you! I want to remain by your side and away from these... animals..." She says glancing at Sauel and Xiaolong.

voidoblivion
03-15-2014, 06:44 PM
{Draconic} "those animals are warriors who have fought at my side, you may not trust them now, but you will see in time that they are worthy of your trust." He moves and grabs the ropes. " What is it you can do? do you have any special skills that will be of use against the Vul?" he Asks Sher' Reek.

Shun001
03-16-2014, 02:50 AM
Xiaolong prepped himself for the climb.

"I go, can carry friend, have good the balance"

Xiaolong then looked around at who was staying

"say the safe, no be long"

He started stretching his arms preparing for Cred to give him an opening to climb.

"I fast, make up rope good, let go first."

He then took a scroll and began evoking its enchantment.

voidoblivion
03-16-2014, 10:10 AM
As he waits for Sher'Reeks response he turns to Xiaolong. "Tie these ropes together to support your weight and others. Then as I fly up and secure it feed the rope out so that it does not get tangled." Handing Xiaolong the two ends of the light silk rope.

Narayan
03-16-2014, 11:16 PM
{Draconic} "those animals are warriors who have fought at my side, you may not trust them now, but you will see in time that they are worthy of your trust." He moves and grabs the ropes. " What is it you can do? do you have any special skills that will be of use against the Vul?" he Asks Sher' Reek.

Sher' Reek: {in draconic} "I never fought Vul before it's true, but I'm not a coward! I see the look on your faces when you speak of these Vulkyrie, as though they truly frighten you, and I am eager to see if their reputation is so well deserved? I'm sure I can make myself useful, I'm a sorcerer after all. Let me carry one of the gourd bombs. I dabble a bit in alchemy, I am interested to use one."


He then took a scroll and began evoking its enchantment.

[Xiaolong: Unless you have levels as an arcane caster that I am not aware of, you won't be able to cast the spell on the scroll. Scrolls are not that easy to use. If you have Use Magic Device (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/skills/useMagicDevice.htm) you could possibly do so... but the DC would be a 26 to use the scroll with that skill.]

Olo can cast the spell from the scroll on you, all you have to do is say the word?

Daydreaming
03-16-2014, 11:37 PM
~Seriously?! She thinks she can just do anything she wants after threatening our lives?!~

{Emiko watches and listens to the exchange of words in draconic between Cred and Sher'Reek. Once Sher'Reek asks to carry one of the gourd bombs, Emiko decides to speak up. Emiko moves over to stand behind Sher'Reek before speaking.}

Emiko speaks in Draconic to Sher'Reek and Cred. "Do you think we are stupid enough to trust you so quickly with dangerous weapons and people's lives, Sher'Reek?! Only moments ago you cared nothing for us, and you were going to try and kill us... I think you need to do a bit more than just walking around complaining and being insulting to others to earn the trust of the group. The only thing you have earned so far is a new chance at life, and it would be wise of you not to take this new life for granted..."

{Emiko looks over to Cred making sure he heard what she said to Sher'Reek and approves.}

(Listen Check DC16: 1D20+3 => 20, Succeeded.)

Narayan
03-17-2014, 01:09 AM
Sher' Reek's body language immediately becomes defensive as soon as Emiko steps towards her. The scrawny Kobold shifts herself over on the balls of her feet to avoid showing Emiko her back, while also keeping Crdechzkragar at her side in the corner of her eye. She doesn't raise her clawed fingers before her in a threatening manner just yet, although she is clearly tense enough to react quickly to whatever might happen.

Sher Reek: Bares her fangs at Emiko before replying. {in draconic} "I don't recall requiring your approval to join this group at all pale one?" {Points to Purusartha} "He left the decision and responsibility to spare me with Crdechzkragar. As far as I'm concerned it is Crdechzkragar, and Crdechzkragar alone, that I answer too!"

voidoblivion
03-17-2014, 07:29 AM
{draconic} "We are a team here and many feel as she does. If any of them feel your life is no longer worthy of userwroths service, especially if you betray the group. Then any of them have the right to end it." He looks at emiko and nods his head in approval before looking back at Sher' Reek. "The Vul hunt our people and all of dragon birth. Everyone here has lost someone because of the Vul, and for this they eagerly look forward to spilling there blood. You will stay and gaurd our path of return, with these others that you have called animals. These animals are the beginnings of a great army that will rise and destroy the Vul. There names will be sung of for thousands of years and all who stand with us will be remembered by all of Dragon kind. Even now Dragons stand with my tribe as our God serves there God. It has been ordained by our Gods that all Vul must die for their sins against our kind. This is what you are apart of, something greater then foolish bickering. You will show respect to everyone who is apart of our team." Looking at Emiko and the others before looking back at Sher' Reek "You will prove you are worthy of there trust and will earn there respect as I have theirs. You live because they showed you mercy and allowed me to choose. Remember it was their mercy that gave you life, as it was your oath to Userwroth that allowed them to give you mercy."

Shun001
03-17-2014, 04:56 PM
[Xiaolong: Unless you have levels as an arcane caster that I am not aware of, you won't be able to cast the spell on the scroll. Scrolls are not that easy to use. If you have Use Magic Device (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/skills/useMagicDevice.htm) you could possibly do so... but the DC would be a 26 to use the scroll with that skill.]

Olo can cast the spell from the scroll on you, all you have to do is say the word?

Xiaolong began helping Cred with the silk rope (Xiaolong use rope= take 10+2dex+2 silk rope circumstance) when he politely looks over to Olo

"Olo friend, please the spell can use?" he nods his head over to Olo.

he notices the bickering between cred Emiko and the new companion Sher'Reek

"please don't the fighting, we all need be friend. I no remember you, Xiaolong name, nice meet. You friend the little healer? (cred)" Xiaolong lets out a cheesy old man smile his hands flurrying around the rather nice to tie silk rope.

Daydreaming
03-17-2014, 06:35 PM
Emiko turns to Xiao and speaks in common. "There is no fighting here at the moment... It was just a reminder about earning the trust of new friends. Sher'Reek forgets that only a few hours ago she attempted to kill us, and she wanted Cred to give her an explosive and take her into the base with us. I believe I speak for everyone when I say that she is not quite ready for that level of trust just yet..."

She turns to Sher'Reek speaking in common still. "Cred is right, Sher'Reek, your strength and wisdom will be needed here to defend our escape. It is an important task that we hope you can handle."

Narayan
03-22-2014, 04:06 PM
You are woken sometime later with water splashed over your head, still covered by the sack. As you gasp for breath trying to catch your bearings you suddenly feel the sharp agony of your broken fingers again, and that pain almost makes you pass out once more. But then you hear a voice... his voice. The voice of the cruel akhenaten man.

Cruel Akhenaten Man: "Time to wake up!"

You still have the gag in your mouth so there's no point trying to speak but you still grunt anyway. You're tied to a chair somewhere cool and dark. Probably a cellar. You hear the sound of a bucket dropped to the floor beside you. Floorboards creek indicating it's someone heavy, probably one of the thugs who broke your fingers.

Cruel Akhenaten Man: "Leave us!" He says, and the other person in the room steps away. You hear two sets of footsteps moving up stairs and the sound of a door closing. Then you hear another chair being pulled before you, and the akhenaten man speaks again in a lower voice.

"I apologize for the rough treatment. You are a good man. The way you risked your life for Bosede was noble. You did the right thing surrendering to us. I promised you would save Bosede if you did, and I am a man of my word I haven't harmed him I promise."

"...But a man in my position doesn't impress my superiors with leniancy. You need to tell me something I can use to satisfy them. Can you do that? Nod if you can do that."

Elidor: Nods.

Cruel Akhenaten Man: Reaches back behind your neck and unties your gag, but doesn't remove the sack. You have to spit out the gag since your broken fingers won't do you any good.

Elidor: Spits the gag out and stretches his jaw a bit. "I am not sure what you want to know. I now little about the boy beyond his origins and his hopes."

Cruel Akhenaten Man: "I wasn't asking about Bosede. I know more about him then you do. I was asking about you and why you are here."

Elidor: Looks confused for a moment but hardly pauses to speak. "Well that is easy. I am Elidor Manta, A priest of Meriadar, the patient one. I am here to spread the word of Meriadar and offer solace to those in need."

Cruel Akhenaten Man: "Nothing more?"

Elidor: "Well I am a man, not just a priest. I have my own thoughts and wants and my wanderings also sate those. For instance I am a great researcher of culture. I love to learn new things and busy trade cities like this one greatly help me in acquiring the knowledge I seek."

Cruel Akhenaten Man: "That's an interesting lifestyle. Yet perhaps that is to blame for this situation? Wanderers can often find themselves at the wrong place at the wrong time. Outsider priests always get special attention from us when they come to our fair city. The Vul hate religion you see. They see it as a threat to their power because religious ideals encourage men to defy those that don't live up to them."

"You should have known to be more careful here. Masaeus is no place to be brave and full of ideals. You should have left by now if you knew what was good for you..."
{Sighs} "I'm sorry but I get tired of repeating myself. I have had this same talk with other men, other priests. They all say they are doing their gods work. Some of them are even happy to die, as if they were martyrs... is that what you are Elidor?"

Elidor: Frowns at the mans words. "I... I might die for certain things, possibly even with a smile upon my lips but no I would not be happy to die... If I may ask what is your name?"

Cruel Akhenaten Man: "My name makes no difference. You might as well call me... death. I may be the last person you have a conversation with afterall... Do you know what caused that panic on the streets earlier?"

Eldior: The mans answer steals a bit of the color from Elidor's face and sobers him considerably. "No."

Cruel Akhenaten Man: "Some lycanthropes were fighting in the streets near to the Inn. A Vulkyrie was drawn to the fight and was somehow killed. Vulkyrie do not tolerate the murder of their own. When that happened, the entire city guard was put on orders to comb the streets for suspicious suspects. The rest of us who serve them are also expected to contribute with our own efforts. It may seem like hell for you here with me, but believe me it isn't much better for those on the streets right now. No one is safe in this city tonight."

Elidor: "Why did you want the boy and why did he look so worried? He mentioned he was a spy? If he works for you then why did he react so when I told him to hide and flee?"

Cruel Akhenaten Man: "I don't know how he reacted I wasn't close enough to hear? It looked to me that he was hesitant to flee with you, as well he should have been, foolish boy! But I understand the ignorance of youth. I have a son close to Bosede's age, which is why I am happy you surrendered. I would not have enjoyed killing a boy like that."

"But we are straying from the point here. I said you had to give me some information I could use to please my superiors. If you can do that, I can make things somewhat easier for you. I might even have your life spared, but I can make no promises on a night like this. Tonight, even those who serve the Vulkyrie are likely to be their prey. For once their bloodlust is piqued, anyone is doomed who arouses their ire!"

Elidor: "And I have answered truthfully all that you have asked. I would displease no one were it possable. Ask of me what you will and I will do what I can to ensure both our lives Death. I have no love of your namesake and would wish it upon no one."

Cruel Akhenaten Man: "So you have no information of interest to my superiors? No names? Rumors?" {Sighs} "That is unfortunate. Well a man in my position can't offer you leniency with nothing to show for it. I'm afraid I'll have to bring in the muscle again, you understand... to keep up appearances. I have a job to do, its not personal."

Elidor: "What names do you wish to hear? What rumors? All you have told me is that a pack of beast men killed a Vul. You have told me nothing about them, I can list the name of every known shifter I know but I doubt that would do you any good. I haven't said I have no information. On the contrary I have spent my life gathering information. Perhaps you should be more specific."

Cruel Akhenaten Man: "You know the names of lycanthropes? Are any of them local or visited this city before?"

Elidor: "I know a vast array of names, people of different races, of cultures, I know of a few tribes in distant lands and a few locally, as for who has ever visited the city before i am not a keeper of peoples life stories in even the least literal sense. May I ask what kind of lycanthropes are suspected? I would hate to drop names of a person who has nothing to be charged with beyond the suspicion I placed there."

Cruel Akhenaten Man: Chuckles. "The Vul distrust all lycanthropes. They have too much hidden strength for their liking. So whatever lycanthropes you know hold weight regardless of which variety they are."

Elidor: "As I have said, I have names, would you care to tell me what it is your looking for so that i may be specific and not waste your time? If what you said is true many other informants will be giving names tonight. I'd rather give you the names you need to please your superiors, for both our sakes."

Cruel Akhenaten Man: "Oh indeed. I appreciate your cooperation. If you knew any names of local werewolves or wererats that would be most helpful."

Elidor: "Well that narrows it down a bit. I know about a pair of wererat kidnappers from the undercity known by the names of Jamal and Jamel Waheed. And there is a merchant of the undercity by the name of Qamar Raheem, I don't know if he has done any crimes but he is a wererat as well."

You hear the sound of a quill scratching against parchment, indicating he is writing those names down.

Cruel Akhenaten Man: Grunts. "Wererats are scum, creatures of the shadows that thrive in chaos. If we didn't keep them in check law and order in the city would quickly crumble..."

He stands again from where he was seated, stepping across the room before you hear the sound of a glass vessel being lifted, and liquid being poured into a cup.

"Are you thirsty priest?"

Elidor: "Parched."

Cruel Akhenaten Man: Returns to your side. "Do you like Tejj? It's my own family recipe. I'll admit you're the first captive I've ever offered to share it with."

Elidor: "Aye, I have had my fair share. It would be my privilege thank you."

He raises the sack across your face just enough so he can hold the cup to your lips and let you sip the sweet alcohol. It's potency almost startles you, as you almost immediately feel light-headed with a warm sensation seeping through your body.

[Make a Fortitude Save. Vs. Drugs]

Elidor: (Fortitude Save: = 13, Fail)(Suffers 1d4 Dex Dmg: = 1), and 1d4 Wis Dmg: = 2)

Cruel Akhenaten Man: "...Speaking of chaos, have you heard of any talk of dissent against the Vul?"

Elidor: "Nothing beyond drunken rants. Common rabble often express themselves that way in any land so it's nothing out of the ordinary. And of course, Vulkh has such a large slave population, such wishes would be expected from them."

Cruel Akhenaten Man: "Have you heard talk of an uprising?"

Elidor: "No, I have heard no plans of revolt and I pray to all the gods that it does not happen Death"

Cruel Akhenaten Man: Chuckles, in a dry, humorless tone. "Would you honestly pray to all the gods? Do you not preach against cruelty and evil?"

Elidor: "You assume I preach, Death. And to answer your other question to avert the death of an innocent I would prey to any and all who would hear my voice."

Cruel Akhenaten Man: "Isn't preaching the very thing that makes you a priest? What else do you do?"

Elidor: "I have already told you Death, I travel and bring solace to those in need. It is true that if someone inquires of my god I am do and bound to teach and tell them of him. I do not preach to the masses though death, I do not seek converts. I simply wish for a better world. Shouldn't we all?"

Cruel Akhenaten Man: "I prefer to leave wishes to children. I have learned to embrace reality, which is probably why I am in this position and you are in yours. You wanted to help Bosede escape. Why?"

Elidor: "He was looking for something like I once was. I was trying to give him the chance to find it."

Cruel Akhenaten Man: "And this urge of yours was enough to disobey a lawful order to stop? People die for less in this city everyday. Don't make me regret showing you mercy. Suppose I were to let you go? What's to say you won't try something like that again and make a fool of me?"

Elidor: "I am sorry Death, but I was not aware at the time you were the law of this city. You bear no emblems or tokens, no regalia or uniform. I mistook you for what ever was causing the panic in the streets, my only thought was the boy. Had you said that you were an authority figure I would have, more then likely, not tried to force the boy to run. I respect laws Death, and would not break them lightly."

"However, it is true that as a wanderer I have picked up some bad habits, born of prudence. The road has laws but they often do no good for a lack of men to enforce them. This has led me to act quickly to avoid danger. Bosede isn't the first boy I helped avoid trouble, and he won't be the last. However, I see now that I should not doubt the law In this city and I won't make the same mistake again."

Cruel Akhenaten Man: "Hmmm..." He murmers, pausing to consider your words for a few long moments. "I like you priest. I see no cause to hold you further. Real troublemakers don't live to reach an age as old as you in these lands... Heed my warning to stay out of trouble and you may see more years yet to come."

Elidor: "You don't seem that bad yourself Death. I will atempt to keep myself from ever returning to such a position. I may very well have learned my lesson for once."

Cruel Akhenaten Man: "Don't misunderstand me priest, this is not the end of your lesson. There is no such thing as forgiveness from the Vulfear. You will spy for us in exchange for your life, and if we find your information lacking, you'll guess what happens next... Forget about Bosede, you won't see him again. Nor I, though I don't expect that will bother you so much. You won't know when we're watching you. You won't know when we'll come to you for information. But rest assured that we won't forget you priest and never doubt that the Vulfear are everywhere and capable of anything."

Elidor: "A heavy price but not unfair."

Death calls for his men before you hear a door open and the familiar heavy footsteps of his thugs descending towards you.

Cruel Akhenaten Man: "Our guest is ready to leave. Escort him home and give him a potion of healing for his broken fingers with my compliments."

Elidor: Exhales and slumps in his chair, a deep weariness seeping into his bones from the tense situation. Was this ordeal really over?

__________________________________________________ ______________________

<To be continued>

Narayan
03-23-2014, 01:21 AM
Arminas: "I am going up also of course. Please use a scroll on me as well." He says to Olo.

Olo: (Uses Non-Detection scrolls on Arminas and Xiaolong)

Sher' Reek looks much chagrined by Crdechzkragar's scolding as her dark eyes narrow hatefully at Emiko. She takes deep breath's that exhale like hisses through her fangs. Yet she makes no threatening moves, to the contrary she seems resolved to calm herself.

Sher' Reek: {in common} "Forgive me. I am used to hating anything that isn't a Kobold... lycanthropes most of all... for good reason! How else could my tribe survive so near the rat king and his vile ilk?" She spits to the ground. "Hate is all I've ever understood. Yet now you are asking me to trust you and think of you all as equals?! It is not so easy a thing to do..." She looks to Crdechzkragar. "But If you can do it Crdechzkragar, I must believe that I can as well." She looks back to Emiko and bows her head slightly as if she has to bite her tongue. "...I apologize."

She then turns to Xiaolong. "I am Sher' Reek old man. It is... nice... to meet you too." She says matter-of-factly, as it clearly bewilders her to hear her own voice making pleasantries with the alter-ego of the werebull that so brutishly dispatched her comrades so recently.

Ghost in the Darkness: "I am going gaseous form now. Fly up after me Crdechzkragar and be careful about melting the bars... but be equally careful that you are not heard nor spotted while you do so! Wait for my signal to enter the dungeon!"

And with that, the vampire shifts his form into a gaseous vapor, floating up effortlessly through the air at a speed of 20 ft with perfect maneuverability.

[Cred: What do you do? Your fly (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/movement.htm) speed is 60 ft. with poor maneuverability. Flying up to grasp the bars won't require any special checks, but because of your poor maneuverability you can't hover. Tying the rope would normally require a DC 10 Use Rope (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/skills/useRope.htm) check, but because you can't hover the difficulty will be a DC 15. For the same reason handling the vials of acid and using them to melt through the bars will be more difficult.

You have to melt through 3 bars per grate, requiring 1 vial of acid per bar, for a total of 6 bars. DC 15 Dex check per bar to use the acid successfully... (I will allow you to apply any ranks you have in Slight of Hand and/or Craft: Alchemy towards this check also) failure means you waste half a vial. A fumble means you drop the vial and manage to burn yourself. You only have 10 vials total.

Also, you are not literally melting the entire bar. You just need to melt through the ends of each bar, separating it from the grate while leaving most of it intact. That means that you have to either collect the bars after you melt them, or let them fall to the piles of filth below. Each bar weights 4 lbs. Letting them fall will make some noise of course.

If you decide not to attempt to melt the bars yourself, you can just tie the rope and let someone else climb the rope and do so instead. But anyone who can't fly that attempts to do so must either make a DC 15 strength check per bar to hold themselves steady or first fashion some sort of hanging harness first.]

voidoblivion
03-24-2014, 05:18 AM
Flying up with an end of the rope Cred heads up a shaft. Once he reaches the bars he begins by first tying off the rope.(fail: 13) After tying it he tests it by grabbing the rope and flying down pulling on it to verify it is tied properly. [if it holds he will then return and begin melting the bars. if it does not hold he will attempt to tie it again, and then test it again]

Narayan
03-24-2014, 02:28 PM
Flying up with an end of the rope Cred heads for the bottom grate at the bottom of a shaft. Once he reaches the bars he begins by first tying off the rope.(fail: 13) After tying it he tests it by grabbing the rope and flying down pulling on it to verify it is tied properly. [if it holds he will then return and begin melting the bars. if it does not hold he will attempt to tie it again, and then test it again]

[Cred: Since you were so close to the difficulty number, it's possible you may not realize the knot isn't quite good enough. However, you can't properly test that yourself given how small and frail you are. But someone that's heavier can yank on the rope from below and test it better that way. Someone else will think of this, even if you don't so no worries.]

[Also, you aren't quite accurate with how you describe yourself already flying 'up' the shaft. I edited your quote above to correct that, do the same with your post. Each shaft has a grate at both ends, like it shows in the diagram. So you have to melt through the bottom one before you can enter the shaft. You could then tie a single rope to the bottom grate, before flying up to melt the top grate and tie another rope to that. But that's up to you.]

Purusartha clambers atop a pile of filth and bones below the shaft in question, grabbing ahold of the rope from below and gives it a good yank to test the knot (Strength Check, + Ranks in Use Rope, DC 12: = 21, Success) The knot slips on the grate above.

Purusartha: Avoids the the urge to shout up at Crdechzkragar in case his voice carries up the shaft. But it's obvious to the Kobold that his knot didn't hold and he has to try again.

voidoblivion
03-24-2014, 09:45 PM
when the first knot slips he makes another attempt at tying it off. (1D20+3 => 22 succeed) Then motions Purusathra to tug on it again and test the rope.

After the rope is tested he begins with one of the bars with a vile of acid. (1D20+3 => 18 succeed) the first bar is properly cut, he then starts on the second bar doing his best to cut just one side properly. (1D20+3 => 7 fail) the acid just did not want to work for him this time. [I dont want to drop the bar or make noise what do I need to do from here]

Narayan
03-25-2014, 03:31 AM
[I dont want to drop the bar or make noise what do I need to do from here]

I'll be nice and say you don't need to make checks to avoid dropping the bars once they've been melted through. Just let me know where you are putting the bars and keep track of their added weight in case encumbrance will affect your movement rate.

Keep going with your checks to finish melting the lower grate. I'll probably pop in with a description of what you may see and hear once you have a chance to fly up to the upper grate though.

voidoblivion
03-25-2014, 06:16 AM
Over melting the second bar he grabs it and flies down and set it on the ground then returns to the bars pulling out another flask of acid and begins to melt the last initial set of bars. (1D20+3 => 22 success) once the lest bar is melted he moves the bars so he cant get past them and continue up the shaft to the next set of bars.

Narayan
03-25-2014, 04:32 PM
Now that the lower grate has been removed you can fly up the garbage chute towards the upper grate. At that point, the unspeakable filth of the dungeon really does envelope you, smearing over your clothes as you fly up the narrow shaft. The dim glow of torchlight you glimpsed below is brighter now as you reach the upper grate. Bright enough to illuminate the horrors of the dungeon above...

You quickly notice that Ghost's diagram of the dungeon wasn't entirely accurate. For starters, the dungeon is larger with thrice as many cages then were indicated in the diagram, though they are still arranged in a similar fashion. Their are eight heavy chains lowered down from the central platform, with three cages hanging-low per chain. By design, when you raise one chain you therefore raise three cages.

You imagine that fact must frighten the prisoners in each of those cages, wondering which of them are going to be tortured next each time that group of cages is raised. And even if they aren't chosen, they probably get to watch at a convenient viewing angle while the others are.

The second difference you notice about the actual dungeon vs the diagram is that there is no roof... the central chamber is open all the way up through the tower to the sky far above. This is actually a very practical thing... for it allows an occasional rain to wash away some of the stink of the place... draining down the same chutes you currently find yourself in.

Far up above the cages at regular intervals, on the various floors of the tower (of which there are thirteen to be exact) there are doorways open to the central chamber that the winged Vulkyrie can use to fly up and down through the tower without need for stairs.

There are a dozen torches illuminating the dungeon, though they are likely magical torches that will not be doused by rain or in need of regular replacement. Six of them jut from sconces on the outer wall about thirty feet above you, and the other six are placed up around the central platform over sixty feet above you.

[Cred: Make Listen and Spot checks.]

voidoblivion
03-26-2014, 01:03 AM
(listen 17)
(spot 9)

Narayan
03-26-2014, 02:15 AM
(listen 17)
(spot 9)

At this moment, you don't see Palenrian. But from this angle, it'd be difficult to see him if he is in any of the cages, and probably impossible to see him up on the platform. What you do hear are screams, along with some shouting and moaning from several of the cages. It's very hard to distinguish individual voices, much less words, in such a large echo'y chamber at this distance.

You do glimpse the flash of a wing on the platform, indicating there is at least one Vulkyrie up there. You also see the bright grey sky far above, indicating sunrise is almost upon you.

[What do you do?]

voidoblivion
03-26-2014, 11:31 PM
knowing it is now or never he pulls out the acid and begins to burn,(10 fail, 9 fail, 16 succede) as he gets a little sloppy he has to take the bars and slip them into his pack, he knows his friend is up there some were but he must be careful not to be spotted by the vul

Narayan
03-27-2014, 03:57 PM
knowing it is now or never he pulls out the acid and begins to burn,(10 fail, 9 fail, 16 succede) as he gets a little sloppy he has to take the bars and slip them into his pack, he knows his friend is up there some were but he must be careful not to be spotted by the vul

[Cred: Keep rolling until you get through all three of the bars you need to melt through.]

And as for everyone else who plans on going into the dungeon, you may want to start climbing the rope now so that you are all ready to emerge as a group when Ghost gives the signal.

Daydreaming
03-27-2014, 11:01 PM
{Emiko moves forward and tugs at the secured rope just to make sure it's safe. She begins climbing the rope with ease, like a spider on it's web, staying at a safe pace to catch up with Cred.}

(Using the warlock's spiderclimb ability, so no need for rolls on climbing ropes.)

voidoblivion
03-28-2014, 12:07 AM
(20-S,11-F,21-S,) Once he succeeds in removing the lest set of bars he slips in (11 to hide *kills the dice roller*) does what he feels is proper flight movement quietly upwards, as he tries to use the hanging cages to hide his approach, while scanning for there friend. He needs to find him quickly.

Hillsy
03-28-2014, 08:26 PM
​​Twilight sits overhead like a cloud of white embers, bleeding into pale azure on the western horizon. Pael climbs down from the small pony, bare feet sinking into the loamy earth, and shivers. The sun that fell west out of the sky not an hour ago took all its heat with it, leaving a chill breeze chasing it towards the Thayamar desert. His scuffed coat and ragged breeches are riddled with holes the wind can slip inside. The small wooden house creaks softly, his pony snuffles and stamps a hoof, but otherwise this small plot outside Cabarda is quiet.

Pael ties the reins to the hitching post outside – three trimmed planks nailed together and hammered firmly into the ground. ~This has to be the place, there’s nowhere else for miles.~ The door to the hut is ajar and flickering firelight spits across the wooden deck. The windows are dark though, and Pael thinks how much this looks like a small cave. ~Where better to find a Dwarf?~ As he moves onto the porch, the aroma of cooking hits him. Someone’s home for sure. He hadn’t eaten since noon and his mouth fills with saliva, his stomach rumbles. The smell almost drags him the last two paces to the door and he raps hard on it.

Pael: “Mr Steelborn, sir?” He calls. “Burrai Steelborn?” Pael pushes and the door swings inward. Warmth paints his face, his chest, much hotter for the chill at his back, and he takes a step inside. “Hello?”

The inside of the hut is bathed in rich, warm light from the hearth at the far side. A pot, large enough to boil a pig in, hangs over it, the wonderful smelling steam boiling from it like morning mist off a river. A table, two chairs, a wash tub and a cupboard cast sharp shadows on the wall. Each is simple and functional; pieces of straight wood hammered together at precise angles. Nothing a real artist of a carpenter like his father would make. A small bucket of oats and vegetable peelings hides in one corner. No sound but the snapping of burning twigs.

Pael: “Sir?” Pael says, looking around. “Burrai Steel – AH!” A figure is suddenly next to him, and Pael staggers backwards, nearly tripping. It was so still he didn’t notice until he turned.

Burrai: “As you’re already in, shut the door behind you, son.” A deep voice speaks from a darkened doorway.

Pael: Pael takes a step back as his heart skips a beat. It’s then he realises the figure that was so close to him was nothing but a full suit of armour hung carefully on a stand. A dark blue hooded cloak is draped over it, so only the faintest glimmer from the fire can be seen. The voice came from the doorway behind, half obscured by the armour and tucked in the shadows draped in the corner of the room. “M-M-Mr Steelborn?” He stammers.

From within the darkness, a faint, ruddy red glow appears on the floor, before a single hot rock of coal floats upwards. There’s a pause, and suddenly a candle blooms bright, painting the room in light. A man sits in an oversized chair, feet on a padded stool, a large tome open on his lap. The man lowers the hot coal he’s holding between tongs and places it back in the sand filled bucket by his chair, replacing the lid.

Burrai: “That’s me. Now close the door, son.” His voice is soft, calm. Almost sad.

Pael: Takes a couple of unsteady steps and pushes the door closed, winding the twine around the peg to lock it. “But, sir. I was told you were a dwarf.”

Burrai: “Who else would read in the dark? It always amazes me how often people forget that about dwarves.”

The man looks up, and Pael realises his mistake. Though his beard is trimmed to a neat square goatee, and his hair cropped shorter than Pael’s own, the heavy jaw, brow and bold dwarven nose were all there. The reason the book and chair looked oversized was because they were made for a human; Burrai Steelborn may have been exceptionally tall for a dwarf, but he was still too small for his furniture.

Pael: “I’m sorry, Mr Steelborn. It’s just you don’t look…you don’t…” He couldn’t think of the right way to say it.

Burrai: “Not all dwarves are fat.” {pats his flat stomach} “You looked famished, son. Grab a bowl of stew and then sit down and tell me why you’re here.”
Again Pael was struck by how emotionless Burrai Steelborn’s voice is. But he is also starving. Snatching a clean clay bowl and spoon from the table, Pael fills it to the brim with two ladles and scuttles back.

Burrai Returns to his book meanwhile, ignoring Pael. On three walls, shelves rise from floor to ceiling, each packed with neat rows of books. The single mirrored lamp, Burrai’s chair and stool, and a writing desk against the fourth wall are the only other furnishings. Each is made with the same efficient design. Pael drags out the chair and sits and eats.

For a time there’s only the creaking of the house on the wind, the cracking of the fire, the smacking of Pael’s lips, and every now and then a crisp rasp and crunch as Burrai turns a page of heavy parchment. When Pael finishes he sits and tries to scrape the gravy stains from the bowl, knowing and regretting there’s nothing left.

Pael: “Thank you, sir. That was delicious.”

Burrai: “You’re welcome.” Burrai doesn’t look up, almost ignoring Pael.

~It’s patience~, Pael thinks. ~Like the way rocks are.~ And Burrai was a great square slab of a dwarf to match. Pael was fourteen, and growing fast, and he was already of a height with him. But Burrai was wide and solid, like Mr Cathart the blacksmith. Only wider, and more solid. The light brown tunic stretched across his chest, and the sleeves split to accommodate arms as thick as the trunks of firs. Patient like a rock, and carved from it too.

Pael: “So I should tell you why I’m here.” Pael says brightly.

Burrai: “You probably should.” Burrai replies, still reading.

Pael: Pael Clears his throat and sits up straight, how his mother tells him he should. “The Merchant-Lord Farrik requests your assistance,” He says in his best voice. “He has an important shipment of goods he's sending to Tabba and he wants to hire you to escort it there. These are the details...” Pael reaches into his coat and pulls out a folded sheet of paper and offers it.

Burrai: Burrai looks up and takes it in his heavy, scarred fingers. As he turns to Pael to take it, Pael gasps.

Pael: “What happened?”

Burrai: Burrai raises one finger and traces the mass of scars slashing down from his hairline to his chin, nearly blinding his left eye. “This?” He says, absently. “Life, son. It’ll kill you one day.” Burrai unfolds the paper over his book and begins reading. Pael sits back, slightly embarrassed and watches Burrai. After a moment the dwarf turns the paper on its side and neatly tears it in half.

Burrai: “No.” He says, and hands the two halves back without looking up. Pael reaches out, unsure. The dismissal was clear, but not angry.

Pael: “No, sir?” he asks. “But Farrik says you are a ‘Mercenary Prince’. Isn’t this what you….do?”

Burrai: Burrai snorts. “Are they still calling me that? I would have thought I’d rid myself of that title years ago. I’m far from a prince... and mercenary? No. It's true I owe allegiance to no Lord, and accept coin for work bloodier than farming or smithing. But my goals require more then gold to achieve.” He swings a hand overhead, indicating his library filling the walls. “Do you know what these are, son?”

Pael: Pael pauses – clearly the answer isn’t simply ‘books’. “I – No, sir. I don’t”

Burrai: “History. Or as much of it as I can gather. Everything from treaties on warfare, the diaries of great men – Kings, generals, bards, philosophers – to the myths and lore of the world. Even fables and stories, such as the Tales of Tasheon the Wise.”

Pael: Brightens. “My Mother used to read those to me when I was younger.”

Burrai: Nods, still seemingly absorbed in his book. “Even in bedtime stories, there is a little nugget of truth, a glimpse of the person whose deeds moved someone to write them down, in script or verse. You’ll find no tales in them about a guard paid to protect wheat from bandits, son. If I’m a mercenary, it’s to fate. Not gold.” The silence creeps back between them as Burrai says nothing else.

Pael: “I-I don’t understand.” Pael says finally, clutching the torn letter in his lap. “What should I say to Farrik about why you are refusing?”

Burrai: Burrai looks up, turns to Pael. His good eye is dark and piercing, the other peeking out from the beneath the ragged folds of his scars, like some dark jewel buried inside. “Just tell the Lord I said no.” He pauses for a moment, clearly weighing something in his mind. “And if that isn’t to his satisfaction, tell him he can visit me himself. Now best run home to your mother, son. Before it’s full dark.” And Burrai turns back to his tome, silent. Just a rock again, brimming with patience.

Pale stands, the dismissal clear. Even his Thank you, Mr Steelborn went ignored. It was as though to Burrai Pael had simply ceased existing. Pael moves to leave, floorboards creaking, wind outside hissing through the eaves. He reaches for the door.

Burrai: “Son?”

Pael Turns back to Burrai and sees the unmistakable glitter of gold flash through the air. He fumbles it twice, but finally grasps the gold piece firmly in his hands.

Burrai: “Give that to your mother. A boy like you needs more flesh on his bones. Leave the door ajar on the way out.” And with that, Burrai pinches the candle wick between his fingers and darkness covers the room as though a spell has been cast.

Pael Shivers despite the warmth spilling from the hearth. He tucks the coin into his coat, thanks the darkness where Burrai had sat, receiving no reply. Outside his pony is grazing on a tiny sprig of a shrub. Pael unhitches the reins, takes one last look at the hut and its single blade of firelight lying across the porch, and races the night back to Cabarda.

--------------

Burrai sits in the dark, thinking, though to his eyes it wasn’t truly dark, simply dimmer and washed out to black and white, like a tapestry left too long in the sun. Maybe he had been too hasty. Maybe the offer from Farrik might lead to greater things: Adventure; uncovering a bandit uprising; a Manticore attack – the possibilities of fame from even a simple trip on the road were great.

But not likely.

He stands and moves to his desk where the Farrik's stableboy, judging by the stains on his coat, breeches, and the smell that lingered after he left, had been sitting. Burrai places the heavy tome down and pulls a smaller, thicker book from a shelf and opens it. Here he kept his notes; throughout the books he hoarded were patterns, trends that formed the outset of many tales of heroism, or great deeds. He jotted them down, a record of all the ways into history for a simple man with an axe and a strong arm to swing it. None of them started with a caravan guard.

No, Burrai was right to decline Farrik's offer, just as he was to give the boy gold. True it might draw the lad back, hoping for a meal and another coin for his troubles. But he was young and poor and Burrai was neither. Just for a moment he feels a flicker of sadness – poor urchins like that often produced that emotion. Especially boys; they reminded him of his son. The one he’d given everything to except his time and his protection. The son he now held a duty to that wiped all other purpose from his life.

Burrai finishes his notes, closes his book and returns both to his shelf. He collects the spoon and bowl and methodically cleans them in his washtub in the kitchen. Finally, unable to resist the tug of his thoughts, he walks into his homes third and last room. His bedroom.

Here is a locked chest, though the key is still stuck in it. The click is sharp as he turns the key. Inside many items are stored, all wrapped in the same clean white linen, indistinguishable to anyone who isn’t Burrai. He pulls out a large, square object, flat and as heavy as trimmed oak, closes the chest and sits on his bed. There he places it across his knees and unwraps it.

It’s a simple plaque, crafted from burnished silver by his own hand. He also etched the flowing script: two names, each with two dates. The first is Cherrian Steelborn, his wife. The first date is her birth, the second her death. The second name is that of his son, and the date of his birth coincides with the death of his wife. He’d lost one as he gained the other. His death twenty-five years ago is now recorded in silver forever, and he has sworn to do the same with his son’s name, but written in history.

His son was Burrai Steelborn. A name he now bears so that his own deeds will be bestowed upon his son when the historians copy them down. Burrai Steelborn, both his name and his burden.

Burrai rewraps the plaque and returns it to the chest. He doesn’t even think of himself by his own name anymore, one eroded by the passing years. He hasn’t for a long time. Recorded history is more resilient than memory. That immortality is all he can give his son now.

As he locks the chest, Burrai hears footsteps on the porch above the wind gently rocking his creaking home. He stands in the dark, watching the doorway slowly ease open, lit by the hearth in his large kitchen. It wasn’t unusual for men to come calling after darkness fell.

But most had the decency to knock.

Narayan
03-29-2014, 01:03 AM
[Climbing the rope has a base DC of 15 at a quarter of your normal movement rate. Increasing your speed to half increases the DC to 20. If you have 5 or more ranks in Use Rope, you get a +2 to Climbing ropes. And FYI because it's silk rope it gives you a +2 Bonus to Use Rope. You have to climb a total distance of 80 ft to reach the upper grate. Characters with a movement rate of 30 will have to make 12 climb checks to do it. Failing the check means you don't make any progress up the rope, but not that you'll fall, unless you fumble.]

[Also, it's important to mention that Climb is a Move Action, meaning that you can do it twice in a round, just as if you were doing a double-move action, or simply using two move actions instead of a move action and a standard action. So, bottom line is you can make a climb check twice in a round, and therefore double your climb rate for that round if you make both your climb checks. I'm feeling generous so I'll allow a Natural 20 on your Climb checks to count as making two successful checks in a row.]

[Emiko: You have a base climbing movement rate of 20, so you'll reach the opening into the dungeon in 2 rounds if you double-move.]

[Xiaolong: I assume you might want to be next to climb the rope, since you have a better base movement rate then the others? You can climb at a base rate of 10 ft per round.]

Narayan
03-29-2014, 06:34 PM
(20-S,11-F,21-S,) Once he succeeds in removing the lest set of bars he slips in (11 to hide *kills the dice roller*) does what he feels is proper flight movement quietly upwards, as he tries to use the hanging cages to hide his approach, while scanning for there friend. He needs to find him quickly.

As you squeeze up and out of the narrow waste chute you find yourself at the bottom of the Vulkyie dungeon. All around you scattered wherever there is a nook or cranny to catch something from falling through the waste chute are bones and rags, buckles, buttons, and other skeletal remains of what could have been hundreds of different bodies of all sizes and types.

However, you notice that these bones are completely clean and devoid of flesh... unlike the piles of remains fallen through the waste chute that you saw in the cavern below. It is a puzzling thing. Your eyes also catch some interesting stonework on the huge central pillar. Sculptured reliefs of Vulkyrie, in life-size scale, depicted in poses of butchering and feasting on human flesh.

But before you can take flight, you notice that the eyes and the mouth's of some of these sculptures are actually open holes. Holes that serve as convenient openings for nests of flesh-eating locusts!

Locusts: (Spot Check vs. Crdechzkragar's Hide, DC 11: = 19)

To your horror, these vile insects react to your presence by emerging as a large swarm capable of devouring you in short order!

[Crdechzkragar: Roll Initiative!]

voidoblivion
03-29-2014, 08:16 PM
Crdechzkragar: (1D20+7 => 22 Initiative) Shouts down the waste chute in Draconic. "DON'T COME UP!" Hoping they can hear him before the insects get to him. He then starts flying up towards the cages hoping to find Palenrian, pulling his dagger in the process. He thinks a prayer silently to Userrwroth to give him strength to survive this but he also takes some comfort in the fact he has healing spells prepared in reserve.

Narayan
03-30-2014, 04:00 AM
​​As he locks the chest, Burrai hears footsteps on the porch above the wind gently rocking his creaking home. He stands in the dark, watching the doorway slowly ease open, lit by the hearth in his large kitchen. It wasn't unusual for visitors to come calling after dark.

But most had the decency to knock.

A voice calls from beyond the threshold of your front door. A female voice, speaking the dwarven tongue in a slightly chiding, yet friendly tone.

"Is it really true? Does the 'Mercenary Prince' live here?" She asks.

[What do you do?]

Shun001
03-30-2014, 03:07 PM
Xiaolong looked up in amazement at Emiko's speed as she ascends the rope

"hiya, So fast."

he then looked at his hands which were at this point dirtied from the surroundings

"I go now"

Nodding to the rest of the group. Taking hold of the rope the grime slips from his palms onto the silky rope. after a couple seconds he gains traction and begins getting a steady pace on upwards sometimes slipping his grip as the rope seemed to be rather difficult to climb especially at a man not getting any younger.

He herd Cred's voice yelling down in the language he had herd spoken a few times now. He looked up and kept shoving along.

Near the top after (9 rounds) 54 seconds in his arms grew very heavy as he struggled, his head grew ever more painful of living sober, his throat yearning the taste of tobacco and alcohol again. His mind began to wander on unpleasant subjects, He started to seriously doubt his place among these people who so far have shown something that he truly lacked, purpose, and what of Jia- he cut his thoughts short as his head raged in pain from denial.

He sees himself in the world of his mind, to one side stands a bald Caishin man in his 20's wearing a pattered set of scholars robes, Bo. He spoke out to Xiaolong internally.

'His fist were fast like a gale, his power crashed down like a wave. Xiaolong, how long will you pretend to be an old drunken fool. You fool yourself and only you of what you are and will always be.' His mental image of Bo argued with him.

Xiaolong was about to rebuttal as another figure to his other side, dressed in Katanese armor of red katana at the hip, her face was pure and untouched, her skin was a nice sun tanned tone as her hair was tied in a long knot that poured the rest of her hair from the top down her back side where it rested right at her hip line. Piercing brown eyes with fire to slay an army shot through Xiaolong's very essence.

'Xiaolong will not be defeated by anyone else, especially by a drunken old fool. Wake up Xiaolong, you betray yourself as much as you abandoned me. I do not want to see Xiaolong die a quiet death as a beggar without people knowing who you are.' Tomoe chastised him.

Xiaolong began to tear up internally and externally as another figure shined before him in a silhouette of light

'My child, you are lost as I once was, you have traveled far to find my meaning and experience my journey. Take my hand and follow my way and you will be lead to truth and meaning, not just to yourself but all those around you who need your love and protection. Do not let the people struggle alone, be my light to them.' the Saint's radiance glowed across his soul as another voice in the darkness called out to him

'You are a fool not even worthy of carrying your curse, I do not wish to end it so easily myself' The large werebull figure echoed to him in the shadowy darkness in the depths of his mind.

Xiaolong returned to reality (approx 9 rounds later 54 seconds in thought) as he swung there stuck on the rope looking up at the grey sky through the vent. Biting the side of his lip a small stream of blood ran from the side of his mouth and he replaced his mental pain with physical pain and began with new found energy and will to finish his climb. His palm finally rested on the cool metal of the cut grate as he hoisted himself over the edge to see a new surrounding...

[Emiko will arrive before me and if Emiko chooses not to go up I will edit the ending of this post to match the situation]

Hillsy
03-30-2014, 06:22 PM
The door creaks open, but no one follows. A second passes, then two more. Burrai feels the danger building in the air, the imminent sense of violence tickling his skin like the icy fingers of a north wind. He takes two quick, soft steps deeper into the darkness of his bedroom, reaching beneath his pillow for the dagger he keeps there.


A voice calls from beyond the threshold of your front door. A female voice, speaking the dwarven tongue in a slightly chiding, yet friendly tone.

"Is it really true? Does the 'Mercenary Prince' live here?" She asks.

Hearing his native tongue from the doorway Burrai pauses, fingers pressing against the worn hide wrapping of the hilt. It doesn't feel odd to hear his own tongue; even here in Cabarda plenty know a few phrases of Dwarvish, but few spoke it as clearly. Not many were female either.

The edge of Burrai's nerves dulls a little, the air of danger ebbing away. But not the sense of confusion. Curiosity really, shot through with an anxiety no warrior every really loses. After a moments thought he draws out the dagger, clasped in one hand behind his back. You could never be too careful - three of the most dangerous mercenaries he knew were woman. He straightens, moves quickly aside so the doorway is just in shot. His hand squeezes the dagger hilt.

"Regardless if he does or not," he says from the shadows of his room, "you may as well come in. This is Burrai Steelborn's house. No more, no less."

[In the interest of speeding up the flow, if the person who enters clearly isn't armed and looking to kill him, Burrai will step forward into the doorway where he can be seen, lean on it so he can still hide the dagger behind his back]

Narayan
03-30-2014, 07:40 PM
Tracing the steps of Ivar Silver'Rune from Kraljakar means you must first cross the broad Arosis River and take the northern road down to Masaeus. It is a rough, stony road not nearly as well used or well kept as the main trade route that passes through Masaeus from west-to-east because the more obvious means of ferrying goods from the north is river itself. The road is more commonly used by lesser merchants who cannot afford a river boat or barge.

You encounter many such merchants and other travelers on your way south, and some of them do recall spotting a half-dwarf matching Ivar's description. When you passed through the town of Kara you heard an account of a Vulkyrie attack. One man was killed they say, a local Akhenaten by the name of Vritra who tried to flee arrest by the local sheriff named Hassan.

In all it takes four days to reach the city of Masaeus on foot, traveling approximately 140 miles. You weren't able to reach the gates before the sun set, and thus had to camp a short distance away from the city awaiting the dawn when they would open again. Several other camps of other weary travelers were near to you, which is why you were fast alerted when a dragon appeared flying beneath the stars!

It raised quite the uproar, for a dragon is a rare sight indeed in the Kingdom of Vulkh. The winged Vul are known to be ancient enemies of dragons, capable of bringing down the terrible beasts in groups called flights. Yet to everyone's great surprise, the dragon at first did not appear to attack the city or be attacked. But later, the dragon did breath fire down upon the streets and this raised a panic.

Many of those camped outside the walls quickly fled, for there was no shelter to be had out in the open, or indeed within the city itself it would seem... as echoes of shouts and screams carried over the high walls on the wind. But the dragon only breathed fire once, and still was not brought down by the hundreds of Vulkyrie guarding the city that could have easily done so. This Lead some to wonder if the dragon, somehow... was in league with the Vulkyrie?

As dawn finally approaches those that remain camped outside the city walls with you prepare to enter the city, excitement and fear evident in their voices. You overhear two merchants discussing it in the common tongue. One appears to be a slaver, with about a dozen slaves bound by chains. The other looks to be a more successful general merchant with a cart full of trade goods.

Merchant: "What do you think we'll see inside?"

Slaver: "I imagine we'll see a great deal of carnage! Did you not hear the screams carrying over the walls all night long? The Vulkyrie have obviously been hunting people in the streets."

Merchant: "Is it not safe for us then?"

Slaver: "Nowhere in the kingdom is safe from them, you know this... so what difference does it make if we enter the city or not? They will either let us pass and do business, or they will turn us away."

Merchant: "I fear we may be arrested, our goods confiscated!"

Slaver: "Indeed that is possible. But I see now the dawn comes... and you are still here? If you are so afraid, why did you not flee with the others when the dragon breathed fire?"

Merchant: "I... have a daughter in the city... I must enter for her sake!"

Slaver: Nods. "Then I advise you not to give the watchmen any reason to accost you. If they demand anything of you, goods, coin, whatever it may be... give it without argument."

Merchant: "But my goods are all I have! It would ruin me!"

Slaver: "It is your daughter that matters is it not? Let them have what they want. Do whatever you have to do to gain entry. If you loose your goods then so be it. But I will say this, give me your name sir, and if you are arrested I will see to your release. And if your daughter has indeed got herself in trouble, I will do what I can for her as well."

Merchant: "My name is Almas Midhat. Why would you help us?"

Slaver: "Because I would save anyone from the cruelty of the Vulkyrie if I could."

Almas: "That is noble of you, and no offense intended, surprising to hear from a slaver? Do you not expect your slaves to be treated cruely?"

Slaver: "I am not proud of my profession. But you'll see when we approach the gates that slavers are treated better by the city watch. For they know how much the Vulkyrie enjoy the practice of slavery even more then they love wealth. And while we Summarans bear their yoke around our necks, some will always be slaves. I acknowledge that even though I do not like it. And while it may appear that I am part of the problem, I assure you sir that all is not as might seem."

Almas: "But freeing me from arrest would require wealth. And no offense sir you do not appear to profit from your trade as much as I. How could you afford it?"

Slaver: Chuckles. "I do not wear my wealth so obviously it is true. But that's because it is safer to keep a low profile. The Vulfear take notice of rich men much more than poor ones. And besides..." He adds in a lower voice "...I have powerful friends who watch my back."

Almas: "I envy you your friends then."

Slaver: Shrugs. "Maybe someday they will be our friends."

Almas: Smiles. "I might like that very much."

[Kromedon: What do you do?]

Zemile
03-30-2014, 08:44 PM
Kromedon Broadbeard
Kromedon Broadbeard is no stranger to the road, standing just two inches over the four foot mark he carries himself in the unhurried manner of one with a long trip ahead of him and a much longer time to cover it in. Haste is for the humans his great uncle Gromenlen Broadbeard would say. Not yet an old dwarf, he is also clearly not young, somewhere in the century long gap between the two and where exactly would be anyone's guess. His black hair is kept at a moderate length, not long enough to get into the eyes and yet still enough to protect his head from the rain and sun. His great black beard is anything but short, though he does keep it trimmed enough that he need not worry about tripping on it. It is upbraided but relatively well behaved, mostly clean and clasped at the bottom by a band to keep it from flailing all about.


Sturdy looking brown leather clothes keep his medium round, short body company with room to spare without being oversized. He isn't overweight by dwarven standards, nor especially short, neither is he tall or extraordinarily fit. What he lacks in definition, however, he makes up for in determination. One would not expect this dwarf to run a marathon at any great speed, but he looks solid enough to finish twice before needing to stop. His boots are clearly accustomed to the road, well broken in and ready for another hundred thousand miles. The backpack he wears has a frame, lots of support straps, and looks like you could carry another dwarf in it without any risk to its structural integrity. Dwarven craftsmanship at its finest, everything about Kromedon suggests a very traditional dwarven love for all things sturdy.


The dragon was cause for surprise, and attentiveness, but Kromedon was more wary than worried. As it was a clear enough night, he had gone with the bedroll and use the backpack as a pillow method, so there was no need to scurry about to get a good look at the dragon once the commotion had woken him. Better to hold still and wait to see what the dragon was up to. Fortunately the dragon was uninterested in the dwarf, though the opposite was far from true.


Having eaten the last of his good food last night, Kromedon is faced with the choice between going into the city or eating iron rations. It would take more than one little dragon to keep Kromedon from a good breakfast, especially since every city has bacon. This makes the overheard conversation mildly interesting, but ultimately irrelevant. Two humans worrying about very human things do not concern a dwarf on a mission to find a good breakfast, except that one of them appears to be a regular, and might know a good place to eat. Toward that end, he interjects himself into their conversation when it reaches a lull, addressing the Slaver principally, as the other one appears to be just as new as Kromedon is himself.


Kromedon speaks in a deep rumbling voice that is more common amongst dwarves than humans, but he has none of the dwarven accent or gravel in his voice that one might otherwise expect. He is quite well spoken by any standard, let alone dwarven standards. "Excuse me sir, normally I would not interject myself in someone else's conversation, but I could not help but overhear you, and it seems to me like you may have been to this city before, and recently. I certainly hope that the particular topics of your conversation will not bear any significant relevance on my situation as I'd rather not be incarcerated or enslaved, but I wonder if it would not be too great an imposition if I could trouble you with a simple, if unrelated question?" pausing only briefly enough for a glance and/or nod of recognition, Kromedon asks his question. "Would you happen to know a good place to get some breakfast? Somewhere that will not mind overmuch the dust of the road I will surely bring them, but I really could use a good meal and I should be able to afford at least the one as a conclusion to my long journey. So, good food, including bacon, and a relaxed atmosphere, is there one such place in town, hopefully nearby?"

Narayan
03-30-2014, 09:45 PM
"Regardless if he does or not," he says from the shadows of his room, "you may as well come in. This is Burrai Steelborn's house. No more, no less."

The voice responds as the door opens. "I would argue that it is both more, and less... for Burrai Steelborn is dead. This is his fathers house."

You see a middle-aged dwarven woman standing at the threshold when the door swings aside, dressed in plain grey robes carrying a heavy walking staff. She looks vaguely familiar to you already, but you can't be sure until steps into the light of your hearth entering your common room. Then you recognize her face and wise brown eyes. This is Elloral Wiseheart, the same priestess that prayed over your sons birthday, and funeral.

Her once yellow hair, now mostly gray, is even longer now, still kept still in two large braids that hang before her, clasped with heavy silver bands bearing the holy symbol of Valkauna.

[What do you do?]

Hillsy
03-31-2014, 01:29 PM
This is Elloral Wiseheart, the same priestess that prayed over your sons birthday, and funeral.

Her once yellow hair, now mostly gray, is even longer now, still kept still in two large braids that hang before her, clasped with heavy silver bands bearing the holy symbol of Valkauna.



"Elloral." Burrai says, stepping out into his kitchen, into the firelight. Her face, lined and weathered by all those passing years since he'd last seen her, still retains its vibrant authority. So long ago since....A tiny invisible fist clutches his heart at the memories, one about the same size as that which curled around his little finger, nearly four decades ago, and gripped as though it was the only thing in his baby son's world. Time has dulled that too - just a flicker of grief; a tiny spark of loss falling into a vast darkness in his heart.

He pushes away from the door frame and walks into the room, bringing the dagger from behind his back and laying it on the table, point away from Elloral. "I gave everything I had to my son. I don't see why it should stop even though he has passed on. My home, my forge, my deeds....my life. They all belong to Burrai." Although his tone is cold, Burrai still kneels before Elloral, making a knot of their hands and resting his forehead on them for a few seconds, as was custom. She was still a Priestess after all, know matter how dark the memory she pulled into the room after her.

Burrai stands and gestures to the table, then to the fire. "The stew is still hot. I'll warrant your journey here hasn't been brief or comfortable." Elloral nods in acceptance and moves to the table, regal as ever, heavy staff tapping at his floorboards. Burrai turns and starts filling a bowl for her. "If you'd been in town long, I'd have heard. Though it seems you've picked up on that brittle iron name hung around my neck." He slides the food before her, adding a clean spoon, and slips onto the chair opposite. They may have looked faintly ridiculous, two dwarves on seats built for humans, but the air is heavy and serious. And Burrai's brows are clenched into a frown.

"You can stay the night to, Elloral, if you've not got board in town yet. Though I'd like the courtesy to know why I must make the offer at all, first." Elloral looks back across his table, her eyes alive and young in the firelight despite the grey in her hair. ~She was always stately,~ he recalls, ~and prone to house calls. But travelling this many days from Bofain, decades since we last spoke, is a little excessive.~

Daydreaming
04-01-2014, 12:05 AM
Crdechzkragar: (1D20+7 => 22 Initiative) Shouts down the waste chute in Draconic. "DON'T COME UP!"
{Emiko continues climbing the rope at an even pace making sure to be careful. She stops a moment hearing something in the distance up above.}

Emiko calls down to the others below in common, just loud enough for them to hear her. "I heard Cred cry out above us... There might be trouble! We must help!"

{Emiko continues up the rope, making sure not to lose her grip.}

(Listen Check: 1D20+3 => 5, Heard Cred say "Don't". Emiko climbs the rope at a pace that doesn't require her to roll checks.)

Narayan
04-01-2014, 06:43 AM
Crdechzkragar: (1D20+7 => 22 Initiative) Shouts down the waste chute in Draconic. "DON'T COME UP!" Hoping they can hear him before the insects get to him. He then starts flying up towards the cages hoping to find Palenrian, pulling his dagger in the process. He thinks a prayer silently to Userrwroth to give him strength to survive this but he also takes some comfort in the fact he has healing spells prepared in reserve.

Locust Swarm: (Initiative: = 23)

The locusts swarm out of their nest to engulf Crdechzkragar in an instant, immediately attempting to strip the flesh from his bones! (Automatically deals damage to any creature in a space it occupies after it moves.)(Damage: = 7)

However, Crdechzkragar manages to fly up and out of the swarm despite the damage with his faster movement rate. The swarm gives chase, but they appear to hit an invisible and intangible barrier and cannot rise more then 20' from the bottom of the dungeon. In essence, they are insects trapped in a magicaly-bordered space, and only pose a threat to living tissue within that space.

Yet even having apparently escaped the locusts, Crdechzkragar is still very much in danger.

Vulkyrie Guard #1 (Listen Check, DC 13: = 19, Success)(Spot Check, DC 11: = 9, Possible Fumble)(Fumble Check: = 20, Not a Fumble)

Vulkyrie Guard #2: (Listen Check, DC 13: = 21, Success)(Spot Check, DC 11: = 10, Fail)

Two Vulkyrie guards atop the center platform have heard Crdechzkragar's warning shout below and lean over the side of the platform trying to spot him. However by sheer dumb luck, neither one looks down over the right side. Crdechzkragar is still hidden for the moment and they cannot confirm there is in fact an intruder, or even a breech in their security, because the swarm of Locusts is blocking line of site to the open garbage chute below.

Palenrian: (Listen Check, DC 16: = 27, Great Success) Palenrian by some miracle also hears Crdechzkragar's voice, and starts to shout loudly from atop the central platform. {In common} "MY NAME IS PALENRIAN AND YOU WINGED DEVILS WILL HAVE YOUR DAY OF RECKONING! DO YOU HEAR ME?!!!"

You would probably guess that he is shouting to let you know he is alive and help guide you to where he is exactly. However, you still can't see him from where you are below the platform. The other prisoners within the cages have no trouble spotting you of course, but they would hardly consider you a threat compared to the Vulkyrie, and thus for the moment, are staring at you trying to determine if you are friend or foe?

[Crdechzkragar: You have one more round to act before Emiko reaches the open grate below. You have moved up 60' towards the platform above you and are basically hidden between some of the hanging cages. You have 30' left to travel before you reach the level of the platform. What do you do?]

voidoblivion
04-01-2014, 07:04 AM
Flying towards and the center platform while flying so that he is against close to the pillar as he attempts to use that to help him hide. (19 hide), as he flies upwards close to the pillar towards the platform he moves around to the others side of the pillar working his way to the very edge so that he can just peak over the lip to spot his friend. during this movement he uses his amulet to heal himself as he says a silent mental prayer to Userwroth asking for healing. (heal=15) once he reaches the lip of the pillar, before he pears over he will look and listen to make sure none of the winged monsters are near this side of the lip, before he peeks over.(spot=4, listen =16)

Narayan
04-01-2014, 06:35 PM
Alright, I'll need initiative from the rest of the PC's who're going to be entering the dungeon. Even though technically Emiko is the only other PC who'll have a chance to do anything next round. Everyone else is going to be held up by Xialong for another 9 rounds (almost a minute) of game time unfortunately.

Narayan
04-01-2014, 07:32 PM
Kromedon speaks in a deep rumbling voice that is more common amongst dwarves than humans, but he has none of the dwarven accent or gravel in his voice that one might otherwise expect. He is quite well spoken by any standard, let alone dwarven standards. "Excuse me sir, normally I would not interject myself in someone else's conversation, but I could not help but overhear you, and it seems to me like you may have been to this city before, and recently. I certainly hope that the particular topics of your conversation will not bear any significant relevance on my situation as I'd rather not be incarcerated or enslaved, but I wonder if it would not be too great an imposition if I could trouble you with a simple, if unrelated question?" pausing only briefly enough for a glance and/or nod of recognition, Kromedon asks his question. "Would you happen to know a good place to get some breakfast? Somewhere that will not mind overmuch the dust of the road I will surely bring them, but I really could use a good meal and I should be able to afford at least the one as a conclusion to my long journey. So, good food, including bacon, and a relaxed atmosphere, is there one such place in Masaeus, hopefully nearby?"

Almas: "Masaeus is a large city sir Dwarf. There are dozens of places that serve good food."

Slaver: "You'll probably be most comfortable at the Beard and Brew tavern. It's owned by dwarves as you might have guessed, and it's also the closest tavern to the northern gate so you'll have no trouble finding it."

[What do you do? The gates will open very soon, yet there is some time to spare in the meantime. It'll probably be another 10-30 minutes before the sun truly rises.]

Narayan
04-01-2014, 11:29 PM
"Elloral." Burrai says, stepping out into his kitchen, into the firelight. Her face, lined and weathered by all those passing years since he'd last seen her, still retains its vibrant authority. So long ago since....A tiny invisible fist clutches his heart at the memories, one about the same size as that which curled around his little finger, nearly four decades ago, and gripped as though it was the only thing in his baby son's world. Time has dulled that too - just a flicker of grief; a tiny spark of loss falling into a vast darkness in his heart.

He pushes away from the door frame and walks into the room, bringing the dagger from behind his back and laying it on the table, point away from Elloral. "I gave everything I had to my son. I don't see why it should stop even though he has passed on. My home, my forge, my deeds....my life. They all belong to Burrai." Although his tone is cold, Burrai still kneels before Elloral, making a knot of their hands and resting his forehead on them for a few seconds, as was custom. She was still a Priestess after all, know matter how dark the memory she pulled into the room after her.

Burrai stands and gestures to the table, then to the fire. "The stew is still hot. I'll warrant your journey here hasn't been brief or comfortable." Elloral nods in acceptance and moves to the table, regal as ever, heavy staff tapping at his floorboards. Burrai turns and starts filling a bowl for her. "If you'd been in town long, I'd have heard. Though it seems you've picked up on that brittle iron name hung around my neck." He slides the food before her, adding a clean spoon, and slips onto the chair opposite. They may have looked faintly ridiculous, two dwarves on seats built for humans, but the air is heavy and serious. And Burrai's brows are clenched into a frown.

"You can stay the night to, Elloral, if you've not got board in town yet. Though I'd like the courtesy to know why I must make the offer at all, first." Elloral looks back across his table, her eyes alive and young in the firelight despite the grey in her hair. ~She was always stately,~ he recalls, ~and prone to house calls. But travelling this many days from Bofain, decades since we last spoke, is a little excessive.~

Elloral: Accepts the offered bowl of stew, tasting a spoonful before she says. "Whenever I try stew, I often think on your wife's terrific cooking. It's funny how people we care for literally change the world for us isn't it? I'll never taste stew like hers again, but thanks to her I know how good stew can be. I'll always remember that, and it reminds me to think of her." She pauses to pull a horn of ale out from beneath her robe, which she uncaps and drinks deeply from, wiping the foam from her lips before she hands it over to you. "Drink! I'm sure it feels like a lifetime since you tasted Garrid's Stout!"

The brew is delicious, dark and rich, full of strong flavor that makes your head swim in a delightful way. Human ales can't compare to this!

As you drink she continues talking. "I know it's unexpected to see me after all this time, especially given how I spoke so harshly to you as you were leaving. But we all cope with loss in different ways. I wanted you to take time to grieve and let your clan help carry the weight of your sorrow, as is tradition. But you were in too much of a rush to search for your families killers. You would not rest. This in itself was not such a strange wish of course, except that you refused our help! You insisted that you go alone. That shamed us don't you see? It made the rest of us feel like we were useless to you."

"Surely you understand how we dwarves react badly to anyone who spurns the aid of their own clan? It's just not the way we traditionally think. Yet since then I have learned to accept that our help may not have been what you needed. It is your right to grieve anyway you see fit. Valkauna preaches that Grief is impossible to divide... it only multiplies with more that hear of it. I didn't see what you were doing as a sacrifice at the time. I saw it as denial, and foolhardiness."

"We worried about you for a long time. Search parties went out after you in defiance of your wishes, but you are a shrewder traveler then most, skilled in leaving little to no trace of your whereabouts. After a time we feared you were lost to us. But then rumors started to circulate about a lone dwarven warrior of great bravery and strength accomplishing dangerous deeds. A warrior who named himself Burrai Steelborn!"

"Most back home think you're cracked in the brain. I did too I admit, but then I stumbled upon a tale in the lore of Valkauna. A tale of a son who adopted his fathers name, took up his axe and wore his armor to surprise and frighten his enemies who believed they had slain him, to better avenge him! I dunno if you ever heard that tale before, but it finally shed some light on your actions. Thus I have come to seek your forgiveness. I feel I have been negligent as your priestess, and believe it or not, I know it was Valkauna herself who guided me to my realization about you. I feel she watches over you and wants me to make amends and offer my assistance to your quest!"

Her eyes are moist and sincere as she bows her head humbly across the table from you.

[What do you do?]

Zemile
04-02-2014, 03:55 AM
Kromedon

Almas: "Masaeus is a large city sir Dwarf. There are dozens of places that serve good food."

Slaver: "You'll probably be most comfortable at the Beard and Brew tavern. It's owned by dwarves as you might have guessed, and it's also the closest tavern to the northern gate so you'll have no trouble finding it."

[What do you do? The gates will open very soon, yet there is some time to spare in the meantime. It'll probably be another 10-30 minutes before the sun truly rises.]


Kromedon offers a tip of his hand in thanks to the Slaver specifically, but both humans in general. "Thank you both for the advice, I think I will look into the Beard and Brew. Nothing wrong with a familiar meal to make an unfamiliar place a little less daunting. I wish you both good fortune in your various enterprises in the city, and I'm sure we all hope we won't be seeing that Dragon again."


He then proceeds to break camp, which entails little more than rolling up the bedroll and strapping it to the bottom of his pack. A cursory double check of his resting spot to avoid leaving anything behind, and he shoulders the pack for the short, but unfamiliar trip into a new city.

Hillsy
04-02-2014, 03:45 PM
Thus I have come to seek your forgiveness. I feel I have been negligent as your priestess, and believe it or not, I know it was Valkauna herself who guided me to my realization about you. I feel she watches over you and wants me to make amends and offer my assistance to your quest!"

Her eyes are moist and sincere as she bows her head humbly across the table from you.


Burrai: He rolls the horn of stout between his palms. His thoughts, broken and rearranged by Elloral's brutal honesty and his own painful memories, swirl and tumble like a river in monsoon slopping over rapids. When he doesn't answer, and Elloral looks up, he beckons for her to finish her stew. He only has eyes for the fire.

While she spoke some truth, it was also at it's truest decades ago. Thoughts of revenge were long since gone, as was the heat of his grief. Yes, he had turned his back on clan custom, however that served him better now. Perhaps at the time accepting the sympathy of Bofain's community would have been a salve to his raw loss, but the starkness, the isolation, of the intervening years had distilled away everything that no longer mattered: Revenge, hate, self-pity, memories, loss. What remained may be small - a remnant of his soul - but it was pure. It was his, something to give to his son....

He takes another pull of stout, heady and divine, leaving a soft iron tang beneath his tongue and around his gums. No. What had chased him from Bofain wasn't rage or duty. It was history. Had he stayed, he'd have just been the father of the murdered son. A Dwarf who sought adventurer's gold once too often, and paid a price he couldn't earn in three dozen dwarven lifetimes. Would Elloral understand that? Maybe - he wasn't the only dwarf with an appreciation of historical lore. Instead of two victims, father and son, he planned to bless history with one hero instead. And History would remember his son in turn, lovingly preserving and protecting him in a way his father had not. He would do it, a promised he'd hacked into his heart..........and yet.......

Elloral was right. Time had changed her perspective some. Her view of her own actions. Time had also molded his own emotions into something coherent, purposeful. And was it truly now his to selfishly covet, like some powerful warmth he wrapped himself around to survive the cold, hard world? The world wasn't that same cruel thing; all he did was plant a barrier between the fire of his purpose and the world he hoped it would light up. Elloral had taken a new a path. He should to.

Carefully he placed the horn of stout back on the table between them. Elloral was watching him, bowl empty by her elbow. He met her gaze, ready to take a new step.

"Anything you can do to help make Burrai's name great, to make sure the world remembers him even after his chance to do so himself had been taken away, is a gift I would value above all else. If you have some guidance from Valkauna, or some insight of your own, I would hear it."

Burrai knits his fingers beneath his chin. "And remember, Elloral Wiseheart, it's not my quest. It's Burrai's."

Narayan
04-02-2014, 10:39 PM
Kromedon
Kromedon offers a tip of his hand in thanks to the Slaver specifically, but both humans in general. "Thank you both for the advice, I think I will look into the Beard and Brew. Nothing wrong with a familiar meal to make an unfamiliar place a little less daunting. I wish you both good fortune in your various enterprises in the city, and I'm sure we all hope we won't be seeing that Dragon again."

He then proceeds to break camp, which entails little more than rolling up the bedroll and strapping it to the bottom of his pack. A cursory double check of his resting spot to avoid leaving anything behind, and he shoulders the pack for the short, but unfamiliar trip into a new city.

As you stand in the shadow of the mighty Mt Kraljak, the glow of the rising sun finally appears across the river where the eastern trade road stretches beyond Torgrimms Dwarfbridge, towards the eastern horizon through the pass between the mountains.

Having packed up your simple camp you file in with the crowd approaching the cities northern gate as soon as it starts to creak on heavy hinges. Many dwarves speak of Masaeus with pride, knowing fellow dwarves were responsible for its construction.

Its massive walls never cease to inspire awe. They are 20 ft thick and twice as high. Atop the gates towers you glimpse fearsome-looking, winged, vulture-headed humanoids you know to be Vulkyrie. Beside the gates, a massive stone tablet sits with the laws of Vulkh chiseled upon it.

http://i1345.photobucket.com/albums/p662/crowsontheskulls/World%20of%20Sion/Things/th_LawsofVulkh.jpg (http://s1345.photobucket.com/user/crowsontheskulls/media/World%20of%20Sion/Things/LawsofVulkh.jpg.html)

After the gates have opened, the city watch arranges itself in its usual way to manage the traffic which flows through it. Yet today, they all appear sleep-deprived and in a very foul mood. Almost immediately travelers are grabbed out of line for questioning. One poor woman who lays a hand on a watchman, pleading with him to excuse her husband, is actually pushed to the ground even as she holds an infant.

But the most shocking thing you see, is when a young lad appears to get the jitters approaching the gates, bolting away from the crowd towards a camp you spotted him in earlier this morning. You didn't speak with him, but you don't remember having the impression he was a bad sort of boy... Yet even so, a Vulkyrie atop the tower must have misconstrued the action to be suspicious in some way, throwing a javelin down to impale the boy mid-stride!

He collapses to the dirt, groaning and twitching with the disbelief and vigor of youth, eyes staring widely at the crowd in horrified shock. His voice is reduced to a bloody gurgle, breathlessly pleading with anyone to save his life somehow.

Behind you, Almas the merchant starts to move out of line towards the boy, prompting the slaver to step before him, grabbing him by the arm and sorrowfully shaking his head.

Slaver: {Speaks in a low warning tone} "I told you it would be bad! Keep still and keep quiet, or you may not live long enough to see your daughter again."

[What do you do?]

Zemile
04-03-2014, 12:18 AM
Kromedon
Kromedon doesn't even consider stepping out assist the boy, humans lead such short lives anyway, clearly this one wanted to die a misguided martyr's death. Fleeing into a wide open place from armed guards with wings should be on every suicidal idiot's bucket list. Kromedon's level of disbelief at the boy's actions is matched only by his astonishment at the merchant apparently considering dieing alongside this unknown stranger. In a different place Kromedon might have asked either or both of them what they were thinking, everyone knows the way through a situation like this is to fit in, keep your head down and avoid doing anything to draw attention. But, of course, such questions would only serve to draw the aforementioned undesirable attention.


Instead, Kromedon just ignores the rest of the people, keeps his hands on his coin purse, and keeps moving. Unless any thing else unexpected happens, he continues on his way as planned.

Narayan
04-03-2014, 02:17 AM
__________________________________________________

<Start of Round 2>



Bleeding Damage ( * )

Fire Damage ( # )

Cold Damage ( @ )
Spell Damage ( ^ )
Poison Damage ( ! )


the order of initiative is:

(23) Emiko
(23) Locusts
(22) Cred
(?) Sauel
(22) Xiaolong
(21) Purusartha
(17) Arminas
(16) Vukyrie Guard 1
(10) Ghost in the Darkness
(10) Vulkyrie Torturer
(07) Vulkyrie Guard 2

Narayan
04-03-2014, 05:39 PM
Burrai:"Anything you can do to help make Burrai's name great, to make sure the world remembers him even after his chance to do so himself had been taken away, is a gift I would value above all else. If you have some guidance from Valkauna, or some insight of your own, I would hear it."

Burrai knits his fingers beneath his chin. "And remember, Elloral Wiseheart, it's not my quest. It's Burrai's."

Elloral: Sighs "For some years now I've had nightmares... or visions would be more fitting... of the murder of your wife and son. Not so frequent that it keeps me up most nights, but enough to remind me whenever I might have started to forget. I've prayed on it, trying to put my mind at peace... but then I realized it is Valkauna's doing in the first place. She wants me to solve the mystery and finally find justice for your family. Such an unspeakable crime angers the gods! They see what we see after all, and they never forget."

"I have thought long and hard on it, quietly collecting evidence and taking notes of accounts from everyone I know was living there at the time. I was even able to copy the written logs from the town guard. Despite all that, it still didn't make sense. But then last month the guard-captain, Thorel OakHill, choked on his food and died at the local tavern. I presided over his funeral of course... a small affair. Thorel was a hill dwarf if you remember, unmarried, with no family of his own in Bofain. Well-liked but not very well known in truth."

"I was going through his home searching for a set of clothes more suitable for his burial when I stumbled upon a false-bottomed chest where I found these..." She says reaching into her robes to pull out what could be a journal wrapped in cloth, a wooden case, and a small sack who's contents rattles when she places it on the table between you. The first thing she opens is the case, which contains vials of various liquids and powders, and several sharp needles. "It's poison..." She says darkly. "...and drugs of various types. An evil thing to keep hidden is it not? Having seen this, I felt I had a right to investigate further."

She hesitantly unwraps the journal bound in a strange pinkish leather. "You don't want to know what kind of leather this is..." Elloral says swallowing with disgust, careful to avoid touching it directly, keeping the cloth over her fingertips as she reveals penmanship of a strange wicked-looking scrawl. "It's some kind of infernal script used by devils!" She hisses.

"When I saw this, it suddenly occurred to me that I never saw the good-captain pray at any shrines, or remember him attending weddings at any of our chapels. Something important always came up that kept him out of town or otherwise occupied. ...I'm sorry..." {Lowers her eyes shamefully} "I never realized what sort of dwarf he really was. Maybe If I'd noticed... maybe they..." Ellorals voice cracks and she has to grunt and clear her throat to regain her composure.

"It took me weeks to start to make sense of the journal and translate a portion of it. A simple comprehend-languages spell won't work. It's been warded somehow against such magic, especially that used by a priest. Everytime I attempt to decipher this journal, I feel a sickness come over me. The language on those pages is foul and corrupting. It makes you... feel... and think of things too dark to stomach!" Elloral visbily pales merely speaking of it, grasping for the horn of ale draining the contents quickly in desperate gulps.

[What do you do?]

Daydreaming
04-03-2014, 05:58 PM
{Emiko finishes her climb to the top grate and stops for a moment before reaching the surface to look up and take in the situation.}

~Locusts?! The Vul must use them to clear the remnants that fall and protect the lower sections of the chamber... It looks as though they are contained to a limited area by magical means... Maybe I should wait til the others are closer...~





(Spot Check: 1D20+3 => 21)









(Listen Check: 1D20+3 => 14)

Narayan
04-05-2014, 07:16 PM
Flying up towards and the center platform close against the pillar as he attempts to use that to help him hide. (19 hide), as he flies upwards close to the pillar towards the platform he moves around to the others side of the pillar working his way to the very edge so that he can just peak over the lip to spot his friend. during this movement he uses his amulet to heal himself as he says a silent mental prayer to Userrwroth asking for healing. (heal=15) Once he reaches the lip of the pillar, before he peers over he, will look and listen to make sure none of the winged monsters are near this side of the lip, before he peeks over.(spot=4, listen =16)

Your Hide check is opposed by the Spot (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/skills/spot.htm) check of anyone who might see you. You can move up to one-half your normal speed and hide at no penalty. When moving at a speed greater than one-half but less than your normal speed, you take a -5 penalty.

[Cred: Because you are hiding as you are moving, you can only move at half speed. Therefore, flying up to the edge of the platform uses up all your regular movement. But I will be generous and say you can still peek over as a free action. This is what you see and hear...]

Upon the central platform you witness a grizzly scene. Four men are shackled to tall iron spikes rising from the center of the platform. Three of them are obviously dead, but the fourth is still breathing, dripping in his own blood from dozens of terrible wounds. His body is in such a ruin you hardly recognize him to be Palenrian Conethel.

Before him stands a very old Vulkyrie, stooped with age and long of beak and talon, with frayed feathers of pale white and dull grey. It wears a long mantle made from finger bones, of which there must be at least a thousand, that drags upon the stone.

Indeed even Palenrian is missing half a digit from his right hand, which the aged Vul has apparently dropped into a vial of acid to melt away the flesh, and just now has plucked out to weave into his mantle with the others. When it speaks, its voice is exceedingly hoarse and raspy.

Vulkyrie Torturer: {Speaking common to Palenrian so as to be understood by him} "Ahhhh... defiant to the last?!" It comments of Palenrian, both amused and impressed by his shout. "I look forward to finding out if other Acameans are as tough as you? You've told me so much about your world, I'm sure we'll want to pay it a visit!"

Palenrian: Attempts to laugh, but the pain from his bruises and broken ribs is such that he can only manage a short chortle and a grimace. "You couldn't possibly defeat us... you vile, weak, cowardly old buzzard!"

Vulkyrie Torturer: "Some of the men in his realm used to say the same thing, yet look at us now?! We rule over men like the hawk soars above mice in the field! Those who walk the earth beneath us will always be our prey. We rightly rule over them!"

Palenrian: Spits blood defiantly. "Just come and try!"

Vulkyrie Torturer: "A pity that all I needed from you were these names..." {He says tapping a scroll of parchment against his hand} "I wish we had more time together. It's a rare pleasure to work on such a willful man. Even now, at the brink of dawn, you spit in the face of your doom?! I'd have enjoyed breaking your spirit completely. It's unfortunate I'll have to hand you over to the prince. But of course, it is his right to be the first feast on your flesh as a warning to others, after he drags you through the streets in shame."

Meanwhile the pair of Vulkyrie guards atop the central platform, circle around its perimeter, peering over the edge in an almost bored fashion. They are armed and armored the same as the other Vulkyrie guard you fought in the streets. Which is to say they wear masterwork dragonhide breastplate armor, and wield masterwork (likely magical) halberds and javelins. When they speak to each other in Vul, your amulet translates for you.

Vulkyrie Guard #1: {speaking Vul} "I swore I heard a shout... did you not hear it too?"

Vulkyrie Guard #2: {speaking Vul} "I did, but I have been posted in these dungeons much longer then you. It must have been a shout from one of the damned inside these cages, demented from fear, pain, thirst and hunger. If you spend as much time in here as I have, you'll hear many men crack like that and loose their wits!"

[Cred: You can still take another move or standard action, as it does not take up your standard action to have the amulet heal you because the Amulet has it's own actions. But keep in mind that the amulet can only use one of its powers like that per round. So it won't be able to use another power until next round. What do you do?]

Narayan
04-06-2014, 02:01 AM
Kromedon
Kromedon doesn't even consider stepping out assist the boy, humans lead such short lives anyway, clearly this one wanted to die a misguided martyr's death. Fleeing into a wide open place from armed guards with wings should be on every suicidal idiot's bucket list. Kromedon's level of disbelief at the boy's actions is matched only by his astonishment at the merchant apparently considering dieing alongside this unknown stranger. In a different place Kromedon might have asked either or both of them what they were thinking, everyone knows the way through a situation like this is to fit in, keep your head down and avoid doing anything to draw attention. But, of course, such questions would only serve to draw the aforementioned undesirable attention.

Instead, Kromedon just ignores the rest of the people, keeps his hands on his coin purse, and keeps moving. Unless any thing else unexpected happens, he continues on his way as planned.

You pass through the gates un-accosted, entering the city proper with its perfectly straight streets and cornered flagstones, every step and sight around you a testament to the expertise of dwarven construction. Yet the large majority of those who lived here were anything but dwarven, evident mostly by their lack of calm and dignity.

It was clearly a long night for everyone within these walls. Most that are moving about trying to go about business as usual look very weary, if not horrified or saddened with grief. Women sob openly in the streets, crying out for missing sons and husbands. Children walk about clutching each others hands, too scared to speak to anyone. The human slaver passes you by with a look and a nod of understanding. He seems to recognize and appreciate your pragmatic common sense towards survival.

Slaver: "The Beard and Brew is down that way..." He says gesturing towards a small side-street. "If you need something, ask for Shakat in the slave market..."

You find the tavern in just a few minutes. It is a plain-looking two-story square structure on a corner, with iron rings attached to the walls beside the front door for tying up ponies. The heavy low-door bears a metal plaque with a message spelled out in akhenaten and common.

Dwarves Only!

An immensely strong hulk of a dwarf sits upon a stool beside the front door, clearly keen on enforcing the rule. A heavy great axe leans against the wall beside him capable of chopping limbs off as easily as a hatchet went through kindling most likely. His eyes are dark as flint, observing all with dangerous self confidence while his hands look capable of crushing rocks to dust. He seems to size you up very quickly and make the judgement that you'll be no troublemaker, thus making no effort to block your entry or even question you.
http://i1345.photobucket.com/albums/p662/crowsontheskulls/World%20of%20Sion/Places/TheBeardandBrewTavern.png~originalAs you shoulder open the front door you see a stairwell leading down from ground level, which technically makes this two story building three stories. Once you reach the bottom you're immediately welcomed by the pleasing sights and scents of home. The ceiling rises up a good thirty feet above you giving it an airy cavern-like feel. There are no windows at ground level in this common room, but there are a few on the second and level that let in just a bit of light which makes it feel comfortably dark and homey.

Two stairwells flank the entrance to the common room, one going down somewhere the other going up to a wooden walkway, around which there are several doorways, which match each other on every level. The little rooms marked 'P' are privies. The stone walls around the common room are all adorned with various dwarven trappings, including several shields, axes, tapestries, helms and monstrous skulls. [Knowledge: (Nobility) DC 16, required to recognize the clan crest on these items.]

By far the most surprising thing you see is the huge stuffed bat hanging from the ceiling by chains! So large it has a wingspan of about eighteen feet wide! [Knowledge: (Dungeoneering) DC 17, required to know what sort of bat this is]

There's a broad fire pit set in the center of the room, and its smoke is free to rise all the way to chimney vents far above. Low sitting benches are placed around the fire pit, and around that are square tables with large comfortable high-backed armchairs each draped with animal furs. A bar to the right seats fifteen. All told, the common room can comfortably seat fifty patrons, but there are only about fifteen inside currently.

Six dwarves are seated at the bar, one pair of them on one side, and four on the opposite. Another four dwarves are seated at a table, two more are seated by the fire pit, and then there's the barkeep. Two dwarven barmaids move in and out of the kitchen bringing drinks and food to the patrons.

[What do you do?]

Zemile
04-06-2014, 02:27 AM
KromedonKromedon offers the Slaver a nod in thanks and agreement with the premise of looking him up again later, but does not say anything so as to avoid the attentions of any guards still watching. He makes his way to the Beard and Brew in the slow, patient way that dwarves often have.


The bouncer gets a nod of acknowledgment, appreciation for his services in general, and for not applying them to Kromedon personally. Once down to the main floor, Kromedon bypasses the firepit in favor of the table in the back left corner. He tries to catch the eye of a barmaid as he takes up a seat against the back wall, so he may offer her the universal nod which means I would like to order, but I am in no great hurry. [Knowledge: (Dungeoneering), DC 17 1D20+13 => (http://rolz.org/group#)20]

Narayan
04-06-2014, 03:08 AM
KromedonKromedon offers the Slaver a nod in thanks and agreement with the premise of looking him up again later, but does not say anything so as to avoid the attentions of any guards still watching. He makes his way to the Beard and Brew in the slow, patient way that dwarves often have.


The bouncer gets a nod of acknowledgment, appreciation for his services in general, and for not applying them to Kromedon personally. Once down to the main floor, Kromedon bypasses the firepit in favor of the table in the back left corner. He tries to catch the eye of a barmaid as he takes up a seat against the back wall, so he may offer her the universal nod which means I would like to order, but I am in no great hurry. [Knowledge: (Dungeoneering), DC 17 1D20+13 => (http://rolz.org/group#)20]

You recognize the bat as a Desmodu War Bat, bred as mounts and beasts of burden by those large, mythical, batlike humanoids who live in deep underground caverns. It's intriguing to imagine how they trapped and captured this creature in the first place... much less transported it here?

A barmaid notices you immediately and steps over to your table. She's a younger dwarven lass, about 3'9", fair of skin yet dark of hair and eyes. She is pretty, dressed in a blue dress with an apron tied to her waist. You also notice she wears a pin in her hair stylized as a bat, and the clan crest you see featured on the tapestries and armor also features a bat, clutching an axe and a gold coin in each of it's claws.

Barmaid: "Welcome sir, is this your first time at our tavern? My name is Jarida. What can I bring you?"

Most of the other patrons here take note of your arrival with at least a glance. The closest four dwarves seated at another table are the most obvious about their attention towards you. Sharing guesses and observations about you in a low tone.

[What do you do?]

Zemile
04-06-2014, 03:07 PM
Kromedon

Kromedon returns Jarida's greeting with a short sigh and a relaxed smile. "I have just finished a long journey and this is the first time I have visited this city. I will start with a pitcher of ale, and a glass of your finest whiskey. A plate of food as well, whatever you would recommend is fine, so long as it includes bacon and can be prepared promptly. If there is a room available, I should like to sleep in a proper bed tonight, but that can be sorted out after I have eaten." Having made his order, Kromedon finally beings to relax into his chair, letting the wariness required by travel relax a bit.

Narayan
04-06-2014, 05:42 PM
Jarida moves away, pausing by the bar to give your order to the barkeep before disappearing through one of the swinging kitchen doors. The barkeep promptly prepares your drinks and sends them over to you by the other barmaid. She introduces herself as Vonida, and you have no trouble surmising they're probably sisters. Though Vonida appears a bit older and more aware of her femininity then Jarida, as her dress is cut deeper across her bosom and her smile is full of confidence and charm.

Vonida: "That'll be five silver pieces sir." She says sweetly. "The ale is very good, one of several varieties we brew ourselves. We selected one of the popular favorites for you for starters. We call it, 'Taverns Prize', a sweeter malt that settles well on the pallet early in the day. The whiskey is called 'Earth's Delight', smooth and sweet of character; tasting of vanilla, honey and druid fruit."

Shortly after Vonida twirls away from your table, Jarida returns with a platter of food. There is a large heel of soft bread, fleshly hot from the ovens beside a heated metal bowl of melted butter... a trencher with no less then eight thick strips of bacon draped over it sprinkled with savory herbs. A cup of crumbled goat-cheese and a plate stacked with a variety of sweet pastries.

Jarida: "That'll be three silver pieces, and there's plenty more where that came from so please enjoy. The barkeep will answer your questions about a room when you're ready."

Zemile
04-06-2014, 07:44 PM
Kromedon
Kromedon waits patiently while Vonida describes the beverages. "Tavern's Prize, not to be confused with Tavern Surprise(though he says it more like S'prize)?" He hands Vonida a gold coin. "I suspect this will cover the food as well, and I'm sure you and your sister can figure out something to do with the remainder." If he's going to be staying here, it can't hurt to start off on the right foot. Each sister receives a thank you as well as they bring out the various items. Though hungry from the road, Kromedon eats with a practiced patience. Eating too fast simply results in more food on the beard, and less food in the belly. Not only messy, but also inefficient. Food and ale consumed in tandem, with the whiskey's tantalizing aroma severing as a promise for after the pastries.

Narayan
04-06-2014, 08:26 PM
[Sauel: I still need climb checks and initiative for you?]

Arminas:
Purusartha: (Manages to Climb up to Emiko and Xialong's level in 9 rounds.)

[Climbing the rope has a base DC of 15 at a quarter of your normal movement rate. Increasing your speed to half increases the DC to 20. If you have 5 or more ranks in Use Rope, you get a +2 to Climbing ropes. And FYI because it's silk rope it gives you a +2 Bonus to Use Rope. You have to climb a total distance of 80 ft to reach the upper grate. Characters with a movement rate of 30 will have to make 12 climb checks to do it. Failing the check means you don't make any progress up the rope, but not that you'll fall, unless you fumble.]

[Also, it's important to mention that Climb is a Move Action, meaning that you can do it twice in a round, just as if you were doing a double-move action, or simply using two move actions instead of a move action and a standard action. So, bottom line is you can make a climb check twice in a round, and therefore double your climb rate for that round if you make both your climb checks. I'm feeling generous so I'll allow a Natural 20 on your Climb checks to count as making two successful checks in a row.]

Narayan
04-06-2014, 08:50 PM
Kromedon
Kromedon waits patiently while Vonida describes the beverages. "Tavern's Prize, not to be confused with Tavern Surprise(though he says it more like S'prize)?" He hands Vonida a gold coin. "I suspect this will cover the food as well, and I'm sure you and your sister can figure out something to do with the remainder." If he's going to be staying here, it can't hurt to start off on the right foot. Each sister receives a thank you as well as they bring out the various items. Though hungry from the road, Kromedon eats with a practiced patience. Eating too fast simply results in more food on the beard, and less food in the belly. Not only messy, but also inefficient. Food and ale consumed in tandem, with the whiskey's tantalizing aroma severing as a promise for after the pastries.

Vonida chuckles at your pun, and both barmaids leave you to enjoy your meal in peace, thankful for the tip you gave them. After you've finished eating and begin to savor the glass of whiskey, the barkeep walks over to your table. He's a large, round-bellied fellow that creaks the floorboards when he moves. Like the bouncer outside, his eyes are very dark, matched by a thick black beard streaked with grey.

There's nothing overly fancy about his clothes, especially since he wears a large leather apron over everything, but he does have a few valuable looking rings on his fingers. Two are gold and one is silver, each set with either an emerald, a ruby, or a sapphire. He keeps his tunic rolled up to his elbows revealing forearms thickly corded with muscle cut with many scars. Thus the barkeep may have just as much experience wielding weapons as he does a flagon.

As he approaches, he smiles warmly, placing a large hand on one of the other high-backed chairs.

Barkeep: "Good morning sir, I hope everything was to your satisfaction? My name is Azain BatMaster. This is my families establishment. May I sit with you?"

Zemile
04-06-2014, 11:30 PM
KromedonKromedon motions with his hand, palm up, indicating a seat at the table. "Well met and a good morning to you Azain BatMaster. I am Kromedon Broadbeard, and I offer my compliments to your family establishment. There is of course the off chance that it is the dust of the road speaking, but I doubt it, you have truly brought a piece of home to this unfamiliar city. If there is a room to rent, I should like to stay here. I am uncertain how long I will be in town, it could be a night, it could be a month." Kromedon takes a sip of his whiskey, still relaxed in his chair.

Narayan
04-07-2014, 02:11 AM
​Azain: Takes a seat across the table from you and the chair groans under his weight. "You paid with a Torgrimm gold piece Kromedon, so I presume that's where you hail from? My family isn't welcome in that kingdom, though perhaps you weren't aware of that?"

"Don't get the wrong idea. I'm happy to serve you regardless of where you're from. We welcome all our fellow dwarves here. But if you knew more about my family history, and our relationship with the Torgrimm Dwarfholds, you might better understand why I won't offer a room to you as a complete stranger."

"We do have rooms here of course, but we only offer them to those who've proven themselves friends of the family. So I'm afraid I can't offer you a room tonight, but I can offer you the finest food and drink to be had in the city and the company of fellow dwarves."

"In time, I might consider you a friend and offer more. But first we have to get to know each other. Genuine friendship starts with mutual respect and understanding wouldn't you agree? ...If you wish, I can help you understand me and my family by sharing the tale of our history. It's a long story, but we have to start somewhere on the long road to mutual respect."

"I'll even offer you free drinks for as long as I sit here taking up your valuable time talking about it. What do you say?"

Zemile
04-07-2014, 02:26 AM
KromedonKromedon is clearly surprised by more than one of Azain's points, though no outbursts occur. "I do not keep tabs on all the grudges of the Torgrimm Dwarfholds. The Broadbeards are respected well enough, but we tend toward apathy when it comes to the grudges of others. I have never been known to turn down free drinks so I hope it is a very long tale indeed. I seem to remember hearing about more than one house brew on tap, I should like to sample them all, and I very much doubt one sample will do. When, if, we get to the end of your tale, if you happen to know a half orc by the name of Wrusk, I had planned to look him up after getting a room, but it appears I will be doing it first."

Narayan
04-07-2014, 04:53 AM
Azain: Grins. "Well said! We're off to a good start then, for you know what they say... a drinking man is a barkeeps best friend!" {Raises his hand and snaps his fingers once, summoning Jarida to his side.} "Jarida my dear, see that this customer doesn't go wanting for a sampling of our house ales."

Jarida smiles and takes away the empty pitcher and used dishes, bringing over tall foaming flagons whenever you leave an empty one by the table's edge. Meanwhile Azain settles into his chair and starts to speak his tale.

"The BatMaster clan was living in the caverns below this city for several generations. We weren't as rich or proud as your mountain clans, but my grandfather was a good friend of king Harlond IronAxe, ruler of the dwarven kingdom of Whurgythmora. Our two clans enjoyed a profitable trading partnership and fought together against mutual enemies."

"When Kurukshetra fell, our chief, my grandfather Andal BatMaster, assembled our army to join Torgrimm IronAxe in his campaign to reclaim it. Andal died there, and the great bulk of our army was laid low alongside him. Afterwards, Torgrimm founded a new kingdom, but he was appreciative of our sacrifice and maintained the same good will towards us as that king Harlond did. He was the last of the honorable warrior kings as far as we're concerned."

"His death was mourned in our halls as much as it was in yours. But we never anticipated the sad era of greed and callousness it would usher in. His successor, king Durrid Goldenshield, was a puppet for the honorless merchant clans. He called for trade talks with the Vul, attempting to open up new markets for their goods."

"This angered my father, chief Hazain, for the Vul were already known to prey upon our clans trade caravans. To hear that Durrid wanted to make a trade arrangement with them, putting them on an equal status with our clan, was an unforgivable insult! Torgrimm IronAxe would have never permitted that."

"My uncle Helsun was our ambassador to the Torgrimm Dwarfholds. He was also a dear friend of king Torgrimm before his passing, and lived more days in his halls then our own. So when he saw a Vul ambassador talking with king Durrid, his anger got the better of him... he raised his axe, and charged the creature! Durrids guards claim he attempted to attack the king and cut him down. But that was, and remains, a damned lie!"

"Helsun was always regular and frequent with his correspondence with us. We knew his mind, and he was not the sort of dwarf who could commit regicide! Such a thing could easily prompt a war between our clans after all. He would never put us at risk like that, regardless of how he felt about king Durrid. He was an honorable dwarf, and we believe he decided he'd rather die then let Durrid start negotiations that pissed all over us and shamed king Torgrimm's legacy. May he rest in peace."

"Of course it did not come to war between our clans. My father was no fool. He knew such a war would only see us crushed. Yet King Durrid refused to let us make amends or accept another one of our ambassadors into his halls. Instead he declared us all enemies of his kingdom. I believe this is what he wanted all along, for it seemed he was far more interested in what the Vul had to offer him."

"You know of what I speak of course... the commission of the bridge, and this great city spread around us... laid over the bones of my clan... He pauses to take a breath, clearly saddened by the subject. "The loss of our ancestral home never seemed to matter much to them who've profited so greatly by it. But I don't recall hearing the Broadbeards were among them... lucky for you." He says with a wink.

[What do you do?]

Hillsy
04-07-2014, 12:26 PM
"It took me weeks to start to make sense of the journal and translate a portion of it. A simple comprehend-languages spell won't work. It's been warded somehow against such magic, especially that used by a priest. Everytime I attempt to decipher this journal, I feel a sickness come over me. The language on those pages is foul and corrupting. It makes you... feel... and think of things too dark to stomach!" Elloral visbily pales merely speaking of it, grasping for the horn of ale draining the contents quickly in desperate gulps.


Elloral places the empty ale horn on the table and falls silent. The journal sits between them, its presence a palpable weight in the room pulling attention towards it. Burrai carefully reaches out, drawing it towards him by a corner of cloth. The pages of slashed script stare at the ceiling.

~That’s exactly what it is~ Burrai thinks. ~ The text is looking out of the pages. That’s impossible.~ He blinks, and it’s as if not just his perception, but reality itself warps so the pages gain an incredible depth. Harsh writing floating above an infinity of white. The walls of his small home seem to draw away, stretching off to the horizons, and a dirty grey fog floods in, surrounding them. The fire dims; warm red glow washed out to cold white like a murky dawn on a stormy day.

The hissing starts almost inaudible, like grass trembling in a silent breeze. As the volume grows Burrai realises its actually a thousand, thousand voices each talking incessantly in some glottal, sibilant tongue. Burrai reaches one hand out towards the endless depths of the pages, and the voices become insistent. Eager. Lustful. His fingers stop an inch above the page. The unseen crowd reaches a susurrant crescendo and inside his head, inside his mind, a pain of slitted orange eyes snap open –

“Burrai?”

- And everything is as it was. He looks down, at Elloral grasping his wrist, at the simple pages and dead, lifeless words hacked into them. It’s just a journal. ~But it isn’t, is it?~ He draws back his hand, slipping it from Elloral’s.

“You’re right. It is an evil thing; I don’t need to have seen the like of it before to know that. The skin binding is enough.” He uses the cloth to curl over a handful of pages, but nothing happens. Whatever reaction occurred is now inert. “Thorel Oakhill you say? I can’t say I knew anything of him barring his name nor station. Caught up as I was in earning coin our paths crossed little – I can’t think of a time I passed anything more than “good day” to any of the guards, let alone their captain. This however…Well let us say it casts a long, dark shadow.”

Burrai closes the book, careful not to touch it. Spinning it around he seens no marks or script on the outside. No concealed nooks for hidden items – the tight leather ~cured dwarf skin no doubt~ is all of a piece and taut across the wooden covers. Evil at it is, it’s clearly just a book. However, it’s clearly not ‘just’ a journal. If only they could read…

He felt it. It was the same whenever he was asked to undertake a dangerous rescue, or to liberate a besieged village, or to delve into a long forgotten tomb in search of haunted heirlooms: Possibility. It felt like something setting a hook in his head, snagging his attention, his anticipation. When a simple task seemed to open up before him and the potential stories unfolded in all directions.

History was littered with such points, where narrow duty suddenly burst. Escorting carts for mercenary lords? That was contained, linear. Simple. This however – a tome of infernal script kept by a reclusive guard captain alongside the tools of an assassin – this could lead onward to any one of a hundred epic tales. Tales where a Dwarf and his Axe might carve his names into eternity. Where his son will be forever remembered.

Burrai slides the book back into the centre of the table. “I’ve had dealings with various mercenaries in the past, so I know there are people of dubious morals but excellent skills amongst whom we might find someone to fully translate this. It’d be a difficult and cautious undertaking – asking around for people who may translate the tongue of demons is a sure way of attracting the wrong attention. But in time we may find someone who would swap that knowledge for some gold and silence.”

He rewraps the book in its cloth and taps it twice with his forefinger. “You said you translated a portion?”

Zemile
04-07-2014, 03:20 PM
KromedonKromedon drinks consistently but without haste. To spill free beer in front of the host would be an insult to rival regicide or the false accusation of regicide. While the story is indeed lengthy, it comes in well short of the three hours of drinking that would be required to impair Kromedon's speech. "That sounds like exactly the sort of politics that the Broadbeard clan has been avoiding for just about as long. We are smiths, warriors and scholars, though rarely all three in any one dwarf. My great uncle Gromenlen Broadbeard was the only one in recent memory to combine all three. Politics, trade negotiations, and the flights of fancy of kings are none of our concern. I have no intention of taking a side in any debate on the topic of your family's honor. Your tavern speaks for you on that subject, no honorless dwarf could operate an establishment like this."

rtcvb32
04-07-2014, 06:01 PM
(I had the impression I wasn't going up. Plus as you mentioned via PM lacking any type of ranged combat I'd end up as a meat shield. So I'm not part of this battle unless someone screams bloody murder and I have to climb up afterwards...)

voidoblivion
04-08-2014, 04:00 PM
[ Cred will hold his action until further notice]

Not seeing any way that he can make his move yet he ducks his head down bellow the lip of the edge and hides waiting.

Narayan
04-09-2014, 12:23 AM
Burrai slides the book back into the centre of the table. “I’ve had dealings with various mercenaries in the past, so I know there are people of dubious morals but excellent skills amongst whom we might find someone to fully translate this. It’d be a difficult and cautious undertaking – asking around for people who may translate the tongue of demons is a sure way of attracting the wrong attention. But in time we may find someone who would swap that knowledge for some gold and silence.”

He rewraps the book in its cloth and taps it twice with his forefinger. “You said you translated a portion?”

Elloral: "Yes I did manage to translate a passage, but not right away. First thing I did with these items was bury them near a shrine. I suspected Thorel was part of some evil cult. News of this death would certainly bring others to recover these items. I didn't want them to find them, and I presumed those of that sort who came looking for them wouldn't want to go near a shrine."

"Next I had to proceed with Thorel's burial as if nothing was amiss. That was very difficult, I've never been more nervous in my life. I felt eyes on me all the time. I didn't feel safe, and it seemed my paranoia was warranted. Thorel's home was indeed ransacked less then two days after his death. I avoided spending the night at my home for the next couple of days and it appeared I was wise to do so, for my home was next to be turned over and searched."

"Once I saw that, I knew my worst fears were justified. Thorel was not acting alone, and there were others in town that were likely their informants. At that point I couldn't remain there any longer. I retrieved these items and left Bofain, making my way as hastily as possible up to Magalack. There I sought out my mother, Algret, who is a high priestess of Valkauna."

"I told her what had happened and showed her the items. She dressed me in rags and brought me into the temple as a stranger under the pretense of sanctuary. Then she hid me away in a small chamber and provided me with an infernal dictionary. There I labored on the work of deciphering the infernal script."

"I could feel the journals connection to it's evil power lessened somewhat within the temple. It helped make the work easier, yet still it took a toll on me. I slept fitfully at best, unable to rest with all these dark thoughts invading my mind. My mother had to bless me and perform rights to remove curses a few times before I managed to finish just one page."

"And yes, you might wonder which page I chose to translate first? Arguably, the first or last pages would make the the most sense to start with because those were likely to contain the most information about his cult or what they're currently planning. But I had to know if Thorel was responsible for the murder of your wife and son, so I chose to translate the passage from that date first... I'm sorry, it's not an easy thing to read." She says producing a small scroll of parchment with dwarven script written in her own hand.

Master beneath the dark lord,

Odem Steelborn's recent adventures have brought him close to stumbling upon us. I worry he may discover something. I could eliminate him, but I believe striking at his family might be even more effective. I will slay his wife and child and sacrifice both their souls to you!

The shock-value of their murder will help me manipulate the townsfolk further by enforcing a curfew and establishing regularly schedule patrols with the local militia. That can keep the black network better prepared to avoid detection.

Your watcher and humble servant...

Elloral: Watches your reaction apprehensively, her eyes close to tears again. "So it seems that mystery is finally solved, but I was a fool to believe it would bring us closure. An even larger mystery, of truly dire depths and profound repercussions looms before us, threatening our very souls. The question is, what do we do next?"

Elloral Reaches for the sack on the table and unties it, opening it to reveal several hundred fingerbones, each scratched with infernal markings. "These fingerbones seem to bear names of people who've lived in Bofain within the last fifty years or so. These weren't collected from old skeletons dug up from the ground, so I imagine Thorel was murdering others to collect the material he needed." She says bitterly.

"I cannot be certain what purpose these serve, my mother believes they are evil tokens used to bring curses against whoever's names are marked upon them. Probably picked at random. My first desire is to destroy these, but It occurred to me that if only the cults enemies are marked on these, I might note a name or two missing from the bunch. Those names would probably be involved with the cult somehow. But that in itself is far from being real proof."

"I left her to seek you out as soon as I'd deciphered that passage from the journal. My mother is the only other dwarf who's seen it. She thinks it is unwise to report this prematurely until we know more about this 'black network'. Meanwhile, she'll quietly inquire through clerical channels for other rumors, and warn whoever she can trust about this evil threat to the kingdom."

"As you say, translating the whole journal is of utmost importance. I will help you see this evil rooted out, if it's the last thing I do!"

[What do you do?]

Narayan
04-09-2014, 02:51 AM
KromedonKromedon drinks consistently but without haste. To spill free beer in front of the host would be an insult to rival regicide or the false accusation of regicide. While the story is indeed lengthy, it comes in well short of the three hours of drinking that would be required to impair Kromedon's speech. "That sounds like exactly the sort of politics that the Broadbeard clan has been avoiding for just about as long. We are smiths, warriors and scholars, though rarely all three in any one dwarf. My great uncle Gromenlen Broadbeard was the only one in recent memory to combine all three. Politics, trade negotiations, and the flights of fancy of kings are none of our concern. I have no intention of taking a side in any debate on the topic of your family's honor. Your tavern speaks for you on that subject, no honorless dwarf could operate an establishment like this."

Azain: "Holding oneself accountable to a code and high standards, regardless of those who don't, is the essence of honor. However, some might say I'm honorless for choosing to live in this city, given what happened to my clan. Yet none would say that to my face under this roof if they want to walk out alive. My clan is finished now, I accept that. Nothing I do will bring them back. I have a family to look after, that's what truly matters."

"So you say you are here to meet with Wrusk the half orc? That's a tough old goat if I ever met one. They say he was quite the ranger in his day. Now he runs a tannery, one of the best in the city by all accounts."

"If you don't mind me asking, what brings you to Masaeus Kromedon?"

Narayan
04-09-2014, 05:54 AM
[ Cred will hold his action until further notice]

Not seeing any way that he can make his move yet he ducks his head down bellow the lip of the edge and hides waiting.

Suddenly, from at the top of the tower, a Vulkyrie lets out a long, screeching warble. Not a cry of alarm exactly, more like a ritualistic shout, which echoes down to your level.

Vulkyrie Torturer: "Ah, that's the signal for sunrise, your last sunrise Palenrian... Unshackle him!"

The two Vulkyrie guards do as they are bid, one of them taking a firm grip on Palenrians arm while one of its wing-claws presses against his neck, ready to tear open his throat if he resists. The other one uses a key to unlock his shackles.

Yet the moment the chains fall of Palenrians wrists and ankles, Ghost materializes atop the edge of the platform opposite you. You don't see it exactly as you are still ducked down, but you easily hear the sudden squawk of surprise from the Vulkyrie, which does prompt you to pop your head up.

Ghost has caught the Vulkyrie by surprise and waves his hand towards them casting a spell. Instantly, all three of them are outlined in a burning, violet effigy!

[Cred: What do you do?]

Zemile
04-09-2014, 11:35 AM
Kromedon Broadbeard
Kromedon goes back to nursing his ale, having already had a few and having finished the free refills period, haste is no longer a factor. "I've lost track of a cousin, he is young and impetuous. Wrusk is the only name I know from this city, but my information is a few decades out of date. Perhaps you've heard of him, Ivar Silver'Rune. Since you have such a nice tavern here, I can only imagine he would have wanted to stay here."

Hillsy
04-09-2014, 05:17 PM
Elloral’s voice cracks as she speaks, words punctuated by the ticking of the fire, underlined by the winds soft moan. Burrai listens and reaches for the offered scroll. The parchment is thick, almost soft, and he spreads it before him with the edges of his hands, a gesture like parting waves. Her handwriting is flowing, elegant, utterly in contrast to it's evil message:


Master beneath the dark lord,

Odem Steelborn's recent adventures have brought him close to stumbling upon us. I worry he may discover something. I could eliminate him, but I believe striking at his family might be even more effective. I will slay his wife and child and sacrifice both their souls to you!

The shock-value of their murder will help me manipulate the townsfolk further by enforcing a curfew and establishing regularly schedule patrols with the local militia. That can keep the black network better prepared to avoid detection.

Your watcher and humble servant...


Burrai reads the words out loud – “I will slay his wife and child” – and inside he flinches, preparing for the blow to his heart. But nothing comes. Fate had taken aim at his sorrow certainly, but whatever raw pain he’d once felt is not there to hit. No grief, no sense of injustice or rage – all he feels is the heady mix of curiosity and anticipation. His duty was not revenge, but to honor his son’s name in the very history of the world. Decades had passed, writing that purpose into his bones, smothering any other feelings.

Burrai’s brows draw down, reading through the translation again, then shifts to the fingerbones Elloral revealed within the sack.



"These fingerbones seem to bear names of people who've lived in Bofain within the last fifty years or so. These weren't collected from old skeletons dug up from the ground, so I imagine Thorel was murdering others to collect the material he needed." She says bitterly.

"As you say, translating the whole journal is of utmost importance. I will help you see this evil rooted out, if it's the last thing I do!"


Burrai picks up a fingerbone, turning it over in his heavy, forge scarred fingers and examines the writings etched into the bone. He snorts in disgust and casts the fingerbone back among the others.

"I couldn't agree more," he says leaning back in his chair, brawny arms crossed over his chest. "Whatever Thorel was doing, there's little doubt it was both terrible and in service to a dark cause. This... Black Network sounds ominous, even without all this evidence of murder and Thorel's hand-written admission of guilt." He eyes grow dark, grave, and for a moment he feels the ache of something like sorrow deep in his chest, along with the slow burn of smoldering rage. He sits for a long time, thinking. The weight of Elloral's revelations give the room a heavy, dark air despite the warmth and glow of the fire.

"There's little else we can do tonight. In the morning we shall head into town. I may know of a man in town who can point us towards someone with the knowledge to translate this....this filth." Burrai stands and walks to the door, taking one look out at the darkness and the wind chasing itself within it. Then he pulls the door closed, winding the twine around the hook to close it. After a pause he takes one of the chairs and wedges it underneath on of the struts on the door.

"Take my bed priestess and I shall sleep in my study. In the morning we'll prepare and begin investigating." And with that he hands Elloral a small candle and retires to his study.

Narayan
04-09-2014, 09:33 PM
Kromedon goes back to nursing his ale, having already had a few and having finished the free refills period, haste is no longer a factor. "I've lost track of a cousin, he is young and impetuous. Wrusk is the only name I know from this city, but my information is a few decades out of date. Perhaps you've heard of him, Ivar Silver'Rune. Since you have such a nice tavern here, I can only imagine he would have wanted to stay here."

Azain: "I don't recall hearing that name, but perhaps he never gave it? What does he look like?"

Zemile
04-09-2014, 11:00 PM
Kromedon BroadbeardKromedon: "He's only half dwarf, don't ask me, I don't know the details, but his mother was human. The most striking thing about him was he had tattoos everywhere. Well, I can't be sure about /everywhere/ but it was more than enough coverage to stand out. Due to his human side, he was five and a half feet tall, you may well have mistaken him for a human with a beard. He favored a light mail shirt and always insisted on wearing a signet ring on each hand, I always figured he was afraid he might get one hand chopped off and still need to seal a letter. Misplaced priorities were not uncommon for him, must have been the human blood."

voidoblivion
04-10-2014, 07:21 AM
Flyng over the lip and staying close to the floor he moves straight over to Palenrians side, positioning himself to deny the Vulkyrie flanking for the time being, while being ready to cast non-detection on him next round.

Narayan
04-11-2014, 11:14 PM
"There's little else we can do tonight. In the morning we shall head into town. I may know of a man in town who can point us towards someone with the knowledge to translate this....this filth." Burrai stands and walks to the door, taking one look out at the darkness and the wind chasing itself within it. Then he pulls the door closed, winding the twine around the hook to close it. After a pause he takes one of the chairs and wedges it underneath on of the struts on the door.

"Take my bed priestess and I shall sleep in my study. In the morning we'll prepare and begin investigating." And with that he hands Elloral a small candle and retires to his study.

Sleep did not come easy to either one of you. The memory of Burrai and Cherrian Steelborn haunt your thoughts, outlined by the dark facts that have finally come to light about their murder. The future seems to promise even greater dread, which keeps your mind restless.

Yet that sleeplessness may have saved your life, because it keeps you just alert enough to possibly notice something....

[Burrai: Make listen and spot checks please.]

Narayan
04-11-2014, 11:58 PM
Kromedon: "He's only half dwarf, don't ask me, I don't know the details, but his mother was human. The most striking thing about him was he had tattoos everywhere. Well, I can't be sure about /everywhere/ but it was more than enough coverage to stand out. Due to his human side, he was five and a half feet tall, you may well have mistaken him for a human with a beard. He favored a light mail shirt and always insisted on wearing a signet ring on each hand, I always figured he was afraid he might get one hand chopped off and still need to seal a letter. Misplaced priorities were not uncommon for him, must have been the human blood."

Azain: Hmphs. "I would have remembered someone like that. But I'm not sure my son Kazain would have let him in to be honest... He's the big one guarding the front door. My eldest."

"It's been our experience that half dwarves are often the first to betray their dwarven brethren for the sake of humans. We don't really trust them much better then humans. No offense to your cousin, but my rules are in place to help keep my family safe."

"So beyond looking for your cousin, do you have any other plans? Do you have a family? What is your profession?"

Zemile
04-12-2014, 12:14 AM
Kromedon BroadbeardKromedon: "Looking for Ivar is my purpose in this city. I am a Wizard by trade, which I have put to good use at home, and I expect will serve me well abroad. I have no reason to believe my search for Ivar will stop here, I know only that it starts here. It may take me quite some time to catch up to him, wherever he's gotten off to. If you know where Wrusk keeps his shop, some directions would be much appreciated, and I'll let you get back to the details of this fine establishment, though I can't promise I won't be back for lunch or dinner."

Narayan
04-14-2014, 10:01 PM
Vulkyrie Guard #1: (Suffers 6 Damage from Ghosts Spell) Uses a move action to blow his horn hanging around his neck. His second action is to move towards Ghost and ready his Halberd to attack!

Palenrian: Too weak from his wounds to stand, he raises a hand towards the Vulkyrie Torturer and casts 'Mage Hand', snatching away the scroll from his grip that bore the names they tortured from his mind.

Vulkyrie Torturer: (Suffers 7 damage from Ghost Spell) Screeches loudly. {In Vul} "KILL THE INTRUDERS!!!" Before he strikes at Crdechzkragar with his wing claws. A bit more feebly then a younger Vulkyrie could.
(Wing Claw #1: = 20, Hit)(Location: Gut)(Damage: = 8)
(Wing Claw #2: = 4, Possible Fumble)(Fumble Check: = 15, Fumble!)

The Vulkyrie Torturers first claw slashes across Cred's middle, wounding him, but as he moves to strike with his second claw, he suddenly grimaces, clutching at his chest.... warbling painfully and gasping, before he collapses!

Vulkyrie Guard #2: (Suffers 8 Damage from Ghosts Spell) Charges Ghost with his Halberd!
(Charge with Halberd: = 26, Hit)(Location: Right Arm)(Damage: = 15)

The Vulkyrie's Halberd stabs Ghost deeply into his right arm, but the vampire doesn't even grimace because he of course feels no pain.

[Emiko: You are last to act in round 2, cause you held your action until you could see signs of a struggle inside the Dungeon. What do you do?]

Narayan
04-15-2014, 01:07 AM
Burrai: (Listen Check, DC 19: = 10, Fail)(Spot Check, DC 28: = 1, Fail)

Elloral: (Listen Check, DC 19: = 22, Success)(Spot Check, DC 28: = 8, Fail)

Your fitful sleep is interrupted by the sound of creaking floorboards as Elloral steps out of your bedroom and moves across your cottage to your study. You hear her voice whispering your name urgently through the door.

Elloral: {Whispers} "Burrai! Get up Burrai!"

[What do you do?]

Narayan
04-15-2014, 02:17 AM
Azain: "A wizard? That is a rare profession for our kind, but a useful one. I can think of a few things I could use your help with, if you're interested in the work? As for directions to Wrusks Tannery, that is no bother at all... (Gives you directions) You are welcome back Kromedon. We close our door to business when the moon rises, but if you absolutely need to speak with me don't hesitate to knock."

Zemile
04-15-2014, 03:07 AM
Kromedon BroadbeardKromedon nods to affirm the Wizard question when it comes up. "It is quite rare indeed, but I have a special knack for it and I had a great uncle, Jodarin Broadbeard to teach me. Thank you kindly for the drinks, hospitality and directions. I think I had best be on my way now. Depending on what I find from Wrusk, I may well be back and if there's time I'd be glad to help you in any way I can, especially if there's a room available to rent. Again, of course depending on what I find, I may be on my way right away and never come back to this city, who knows?" Kromedon finishes his whiskey finally, having been nursing it for quite some time, stands, offers his hand in parting respect to Azain, and will make his way toward Wrusk's.

Daydreaming
04-15-2014, 05:38 AM
{Emiko hears the horn being sounded from the Vul above. She stares at the locusts in frustration, then looks down at Xiaolong. She sees him covered in sweat and stuck in a daze gripping the rope. An intense look of desperation comes over her face.}

"The Vul have sounded their horn! The others are in trouble!" She cries out in common to the others below.

~What's wrong with Xiaolong?! He's going to get us all killed if he doesn't snap out of it... These locusts... Wait! Xiaolong has one of those gourd bombs! Here is hoping I don't mess this up this time...~

{Emiko quickly moves down the rope to grab the gourd bomb from where Xiaolong had stored it on him. Holding tightly to the rope with one hand she uses the other to hold out the bomb in front of her. In a flash her hand glows bright bluish white and the fuse ignites on the bomb. She tosses the bomb up and out the top of the shaft where it lands next to the swarm of locusts. Emiko holds tightly to the rope bracing herself for the impact of the explosion.}

"Brace yourselves!" She cries out in common to the others below, warning them of the incoming explosion.

(Concentration Check to light timed fuse on bomb with powers: 1D20+6 => 19, Success. Attack Roll to throw gourd bomb: 1D20+6 => 16, success.)

Hillsy
04-15-2014, 01:33 PM
Elloral: {Whispers} "Burrai! Get up Burrai!"


Burrai stirs from his fitful sleep - a carousel of memories of his wife, Cherrian, his son, Burrai. Time has eroded them, so they are only impressions full of blurred edges and sharp feelings. Then he's awake.

The wind has died during the night. In the dark the colours are washed out, save for the weak throb from the dying embers on his hearth. The deep red light touches Elloral's outline with colour. It's still full dark, and as his head clears he realises the words that stirred him were her's. And worried.

"Wha-" he starts to croak, but Elloral reaches and presses two fingers to his lips. He can see the worry carved into her features as she points to her ear and then gestures towards the study door. Suddenly Burrai isn't so tired; no dwarf who's seen battle stays drowsy in the face of danger and lives as long as he has.

Carefully he eases himself out of his chair, and takes the two paces to the door. His armour is on it's stand a foot away. The dark, deep red of the fire is so weak, it looks like the masterfully worked plates are windows into the molten depths of the earth. His armour is on it's stand, but his shield and axe are crossed at his feet.

Holding up a palm behind him for Elloral to remain still Burrai crouches down and reaches for his axe and shield. The familiar twined grips in his hands, his own work, shake off the last dregs of sleep as he strains to hear the danger in the night.....

(Move Silently Check: 1D20+1 => 3)

....And sneezes loud enough to rival thunder rending a stormy sky.

"Damn!!!"

Narayan
04-15-2014, 07:23 PM
"Brace yourselves!" She cries out in common to the others below, warning them of the incoming explosion.

(Concentration Check to light timed fuse on bomb with powers: 1D20+6 => 19, Success. Attack Roll to throw gourd bomb: 1D20+6 => 16, success.)

The gourd bomb explodes almost instantly after you toss it up with a thunderous BOOM that you couldn't prepare for having never heard it's like before. It's probably the loudest thing you ever heard, and very nearly makes you loose your grip as your first instinct is to reach up to cover your ears.

You even feel the earth and stone around you tremble with the tremendous force of its explosion. Acrid smoke billows down with the strong scent of sulfur making you cough as your eyes water. Yet you see no more locusts as the smoke clears, as they must have been completely obliterated!

<End of Round 2>
__________________________________________________ __________

<Start of Round 3>



Bleeding Damage ( * )

Fire Damage ( # )

Cold Damage ( @ )
Spell Damage ( ^ )
Poison Damage ( ! )


The order of initiative is:

(23) Emiko
(X) Locusts (Deceased)
(22) Cred
(22) Xiaolong
(21) Purusartha
(17) Arminas
(16) Vukyrie Guard 1 (-6^)(Blinded^)(-31)
(13) Palenrian
(10) Ghost in the Darkness (-15)
(X) Vulkyrie Torturer (-7^) (Deceased)
(07) Vulkyrie Guard 2 (-8^)(-7)
(07) Vulkyrie Guard 3 (-3^)
(07) Vulkyrie Guard 4 (-10)(-4^)
(07) Vulkyrie Guard 5
(07) Vulkyrie Guard 6
(07) Vulkyrie Guard 7
(07) Vulkyrie Guard 8

[Emiko: You are first to act in round 3, What do you do?]

voidoblivion
04-16-2014, 10:05 PM
(was not my turn in the initiative sequence sorry)

rtcvb32
04-16-2014, 11:54 PM
touching Purusartha while saying a silent prayer to Userwroth to hide him from the eyes of our enemies, (non detect via amulet), as his pray is given he pulls a vile of cure wounds and pours it into Purusartha mouth.

(You mean Palenrian here, not Purusartha correct? And probably vial, not vile...)

Narayan
04-17-2014, 12:42 AM
Now that you are fully awake, you hear growls and low barks outside the cottage as a pack of savage, wild dogs circles it. And then you hear... "thunk" ...as something embeds itself into your front door. Not so loudly that it would be an axe as if someone was trying to chop it down, but softer... as if someone had just stabbed a dagger into the wood.

[What do you do?]

Narayan
04-19-2014, 02:29 AM
Emiko: (Posted on her behalf) Pulls herself up into the bottom of the Vulkyrie dungeon, looking for an enemy in range to target with her eldritch blast. However, there are none she can see clearly at this moment, so she will hold her action until there is.

[Cred: It is your turn What do you do?]

[Xiaolong: You will act shortly after Cred. The blast from the gourd-bomb has jolted you back to your senses.]

voidoblivion
04-19-2014, 07:03 PM
Cred using one hand he touches his friend and says a silent prayer to Userwroth to hide him from the eyes of our enemies (non detection), while raising a potion of Healing to his friends lips so that he can drink quickly.

Narayan
04-21-2014, 01:52 AM
Your potion heals Palenrian 11 damage, and seems to do him much good as the worst of his wounds stop bleeding. However, the Vulkyrie's horn and the great BOOM at the bottom of the dungeon has ensured the alarm has been raised. You see several more Vulkyrie appear as silhouettes and shadows in some of the open doorways further up within the tower.

Emiko: Fires off an eldritch blast at the first Vulkyrie she can aim at, utilizing her Eldritch Spear class ability to increase the range. (Eldritch Blast, Fate Pool: = 21, Hits!)(Location, Fate Pool: Right Arm)(Damage: = 3)

Her blast doesn't do much damage, but it certainly gives the Vulkyrie pause from taking flight believing they may be targeted by dangerous magic!

[Xiaolong: It is your turn, what do you do?]

Hillsy
04-21-2014, 05:18 AM
Now that you are fully awake, you hear growls and low barks outside the cottage as a pack of savage, wild dogs circles it. And then you hear... "thunk" ...as something embeds itself into your front door. Not so loudly that it would be an axe as if someone was trying to chop it down, but softer... as if someone had just stabbed a dagger into the wood.


Burrai growls under his breath. "No chance now they think we're asleep. Help me Elloral, we wont have long before they realise they can't draw us out. Hurry." He glances at the door; the chair he wedged beneath the struts still holds firm. No one yet has tested the heavy latches locking the wooden shutters either. He grabs his armor, dragging the stand into the study with him, and starts unclipping the catches worked into the armor's joins. "Help me into this."

From just inside the study door, Burrai tries to keep an eye on the front door and the windows while getting clothed for battle. And it will be a battle. Dogs howling in the night around his remote plot just didn't happen, and nor would the spacing be so complete. He just hoped the effort he'd put into crafting his armor gave him the time he needed to get prepared before whoever was besieging his house tired of waiting, and brought the fight inside....

Shun001
04-21-2014, 11:33 PM
Xiaolong hears the explosion ripping him back into reality which, now a war zone, he observed soon after a blast from the ever to familiar Emiko above his head. Though he cannot see the destination of the shot too well. Horns are trumpeting echoing across walls, the quiet was short lived as Xiaolong was pushed back into the battlefield. He rose up the last length of rope and quickly peered around before he joined Emiko's side.

"Little healer save the friend yes?" he quickly questioned as he places one leg forward into his normal martial arts stance waiting for something to approach him.

~they need to come down quick, these numbers are not favoring us~

[Used movement action, held standard action]

Narayan
04-22-2014, 02:13 AM
Kromedon BroadbeardKromedon nods to affirm the Wizard question when it comes up. "It is quite rare indeed, but I have a special knack for it and I had a great uncle, Jodarin Broadbeard to teach me. Thank you kindly for the drinks, hospitality and directions. I think I had best be on my way now. Depending on what I find from Wrusk, I may well be back and if there's time I'd be glad to help you in any way I can, especially if there's a room available to rent. Again, of course depending on what I find, I may be on my way right away and never come back to this city, who knows?" Kromedon finishes his whiskey finally, having been nursing it for quite some time, stands, offers his hand in parting respect to Azain, and will make his way toward Wrusk's.

[Please refer to city map for Masaeus: http://i1345.photobucket.com/albums/p662/crowsontheskulls/World%20of%20Sion/Maps/CityofMasaeusDetailedFixed.png~original

You'll see that you have a bit of a walk ahead of you, effectively crossing the whole city. (Wrusks Tannery is highlighted in blue, Marked as Z2, under Noteworthy Sites for the PC's)

Azain's directions were to continue down through the slave market, through the northern gates of the inner district, before hooking left (eastward) down to the docks. After following the docks south you will pop up through the south-eastern gate of the inner district, which will put you close to your destination. There are hand or horse-drawn carriages, and even slave-born litters, available for hire if you'd rather not walk.]

As you step out of the Beard and Brew, you begin to walk through the slave market which is quite a busy place. Hundreds of slaves are milling about, chained and branded, or else wearing some sort of token identifying their master. Most are local Akhenaten (https://sion.obsidianportal.com/wikis/akhenatens) humans, but there are many other races as well. Rhats (https://sion.obsidianportal.com/wikis/rhat), Halflings (https://sion.obsidianportal.com/wikis/halflings), Half Orcs, Half Elves, Half Dwarves (https://sion.obsidianportal.com/wikis/half-dwarves)... and some full-blooded Dwarves (https://sion.obsidianportal.com/wikis/dwarves) as well... though you'd guess those specimens were Sundered Dwarves by their disheveled, half-mad appearance.

On the other side of the slave market you glimpse the large gates for the inner district ahead of you as you pass by another tavern called The Filthy Monkey. However, horns across the city star to blare as an alarm is raised! You glimpse dozens of Vulkyrie taking to the air, flocking towards the huge tower rising from the center of the city that is their headquarters.

A little more than fifty yard ahead of you, the gates of the inner district begin to creak and swing shut! Even further behind you, the huge outer gates of Masaeus are also closing. Which means, you will be trapped within these walls in just a few rounds!

Bystanders start shouting and running to and fro, initiating a mad panic and a veritable stampede as people react to the fact that the Vulkyrie are about to prey on them. Just as they were last night when the freakish dragon appeared!

[What do you do?]

Zemile
04-22-2014, 01:21 PM
Kromedon Broadbeard
If it looks like people are running through the inner gate that is shutting, I will run for that as the directions specified. If people are not running through the gate, I will assume that the Vulkyrie plan to kill anything near the gate, and instead run for the Filthy Monkey.

Narayan
04-22-2014, 07:38 PM
At the Bottom of the Dungeon_______________________________

Purusartha: Climbs up quickly after Xiaolong. (Move Action) Readies his compound bow with a magical flaming arrow. (Holds Standard Action) "Damn! ...this dungeon is even larger then Ghosts information hinted it would be. Xiaolong is correct, if they're up there they need to come down in a hurry! I see dozens of open doorways up there, and you can bet there will be a Vulkyrie in every one throwing Javelins down at us very soon!"

Arminas: Climbs up after Purusartha. (Double-Move Action because has too climb more than a quarter of his movement rate to reach the grate.) "Is he up there? Is he alive?!" The elf asks quickly of his friend Palenrian.

Purusartha: "I'm not sure, but Cred appears to have flown up there and I can see Ghost up there fighting... Do you know if Palenrian lives Emiko?" He asks the warlock.


Atop the central platform_______________________________________

Vulkyrie Guard #1: Noticing the Vulkyrie Torturer has fallen, turns back around. {Speaking Common} "YOU WONT ESCAPE ALIVE!" He shrieks at Palenrian and Crdechzkragar, lowering the point of his halberd seeking to finish off the prisoner!

Palenrian: Uses Early Action (https://sion.obsidianportal.com/wikis/actions) to cast Light (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/light.htm) on the beak of the charging Vulkyrie (https://sion.obsidianportal.com/wikis/vulkyrie). (Spellcraft Check vs DC 13: = 25, Success)

Suddenly blinded (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/conditionSummary.htm), the Vulkyrie guard has no choice but to abandon his attack to keep his bearings!

Ghost in the Darkness: Attempts to use his Dominate power on Vulkyrie Guard #2.

Vulkyrie Guard #2: (Will Saving Throw, DC 14: = 12, Fail) Ghosts eyes wordlessly assert supernatural powers of domination over the Vulkyrie, who turns then and moves to attack Vulkyrie Guard #1! (Attacks with Halberd: = 29, Possible Critical)(Critical Check: = 22, Crit!)(Location: Right Wing)(Damage: = 31, Serious Damage!)

Vulkyrie Guard #2's Halberd chops down savagely upon his blinded comrades back, cutting deeply into his right wing, spraying blood and feathers both! It shrieks with terrible pain.

Ghost in the Darkness: Uses his move action to step over to where Crdechzkaragar and Palenrian are kneeling. "We must leave now! Clamber upon my back Palenrian and I will carry you down to safety like a spider. I am much stronger then I look I assure you."

Palenrian: Regards Ghost with no small measure of suspicion. "You are not a living elf are you?" He croaks.

Ghost in the Darkness: Smiles revealing his fangs. "I am living enough to save your life."

Palenrian: "So be it..." He mutters, and uses a move action to climb over Ghosts shoulders.

Up in the Tower_____________________________________________ __

Meanwhile, Vulkyrie start to emerge from the doorways in the tower above you!

At the Bottom of the Dungeon_______________________________

Purusartha: Uses his readied standard action to fire off flaming arrows at Vulkyrie #4.

(First attack with compound bow: = 24, Hit)(Location: Chest)(Damage: = 10 + 4 Fire Damage)
(Second attack with compound bow: = 7, Miss)


Up in the Tower_____________________________________________ __


The Vulkyrie who emerge are not pleased to see the Vulkyrie Torturer dead, but they are even more angry to see Vulkyrie Guard #2 attacking Vulkyrie Guard #1, so two of them rain javelins down upon him!

Vulkyrie Guard #3:

(Throws first Javelin: = 17, Miss)

(Throws second Javelin: = 25, Possible Crit)(Crit Check: = 14, Not a crit)(Location: Left Arm)(Damage: = 7)

(Throws third Javelin: = 16, Miss)


Vulkyrie Guard #4:


(Throws first Javelin: = 8, Miss)

(Throws second Javelin: = 7, Miss)

(Throws third Javelin: = 13, Miss)


The Javelins that miss Vulkyrie Guard #2 spark and ricochet off the platform with loud TANG! sounds. Three of them bounce off the platform entirely and go flipping down as dangerous free-falling projectiles to the bottom of the dungeon below! Two of them however manage to stay atop the platform in case anyone wants to grab one as a weapon.


The other four Vulkyrie that emerge wait until #3 & #4 have thrown their Javelins, before they begin to swoop down to the platform! Which they will reach at the end of next round...

<End of round 3>
__________________________________________________ ___________

Narayan
04-22-2014, 07:56 PM
__________________________________________________ __________

<Start of Round 4>



Bleeding Damage ( * )

Fire Damage ( # )

Cold Damage ( @ )
Spell Damage ( ^ )
Poison Damage ( ! )


The order of initiative is:

(23) Emiko
(X) Locusts (Deceased)
(22) Cred
(22) Xiaolong
(21) Purusartha
(17) Arminas
(16) Vukyrie Guard 1 (-6^)(Blinded^)(-31)(-9^)
(13) Palenrian
(10) Ghost in the Darkness (-15)(+2)
(X) Vulkyrie Torturer (-7^) (Deceased)
(07) Vulkyrie Guard 2 (-8^)(-7)(-6^)
(07) Vulkyrie Guard 3 (-3^)(-4^)
(07) Vulkyrie Guard 4 (-10)(-4^)
(07) Vulkyrie Guard 5
(07) Vulkyrie Guard 6
(07) Vulkyrie Guard 7
(07) Vulkyrie Guard 8

[Emiko: You are first to act in round 4, What do you do?]

Daydreaming
04-24-2014, 01:28 AM
"I do not know if he still lives... It is too hard to see up there, but we must help the others right now and worry about that after!" She says in response to Purusartha.

{Emiko focuses her attention back to the Vulkyrie she hit before, and blasts it once again with her flames.}

(Attack Roll on Vulkyrie#3, +2 from BP: 1D20+6+2 => 21, Hit. Location: 1D20 => 7, Right Leg. Damage: 2D6 => 4.)

Narayan
04-24-2014, 02:04 AM
[Cred: It's your turn, what do you do?]

Narayan
04-24-2014, 03:38 AM
Elloral: Helps Burrai put on his armor with nervous fingers. "What is the plan then? I know some spells that may be helpful."

voidoblivion
04-24-2014, 07:35 AM
"Then allow me to help us all reach the exit faster." He says to ghost and Palenrian. Touching them both he says a silent prayer to Userwroth asking to transport them to the floor of this dungeon near the grates he came through. Hoping to make it faster for them all to escape.

Narayan
04-25-2014, 01:53 AM
[Cred: Your amulet has to make the Teleportation check because it's consciousness is responsible for casting the magic. Due to all the antimagic spheres around the cages, teleportation within the dungeon is more difficult and hazardous, but not impossible.

The chance for a successful teleportation is 74%, (1-74 on the percentile dice), The odds for being off target is 16%, (75-90 on the percentile dice), The odds for a Mishap is 10% (91-100 on the percentile dice).]

Amulet of Userrwroth: (Teleportation Check: = 98%, Mishap!)

Unfortunately, the teleport does not go very smoothly. You materialize at the bottom of the dungeon wracked with pain! (Each of you take 10 points of damage), but you do make it to the bottom successfully.

[Xiaolong: It is your turn, what do you do?]

voidoblivion
04-25-2014, 06:06 AM
(having taken 18hp of damage leaving him with 0 hp) Cred upon getting them to the bottom of the dungeon collapses

rtcvb32
04-25-2014, 06:28 AM
You materialize at the bottom of the dungeon wracked with pain!

Please clarify. Is this in the sewer system with the remainder of us below (and if so, how close to our group did they appear or are they a little ways away)? Or is this at the bars/lower area where Emiko and Xiaolong are at?

Narayan
04-25-2014, 03:53 PM
Please clarify. Is this in the sewer system with the remainder of us below (and if so, how close to our group did they appear or are they a little ways away)? Or is this at the bars/lower area where Emiko and Xiaolong are at?

They appeared at the bottom of the dungeon itself, above the garbage chutes they climbed up to get inside. They couldn't have teleported through the garbage chutes down into the cavern below because there's a ward against any teleportation in or out of the dungeon. Ghost already mentioned that to Cred a few times.

rtcvb32
04-25-2014, 06:55 PM
Ghost already mentioned that to Cred a few times.

Just checking. It's been a while and I don't recall all the details from the plan since I'm not the most active at this second.

Narayan
04-25-2014, 09:56 PM
Just checking. It's been a while and I don't recall all the details from the plan since I'm not the most active at this second.

Yeah I gotcha. No worries.

Shun001
04-27-2014, 12:55 AM
Xiaolong looks over as Cred and company rematerialized near his location, to his dismay it look like a very hard landing and Cred is in need of help.

~Little healer needs my help!~

Xiaolong swiftly moves to Cred and pulls his body onto his shoulders

"I got the you, save now like you save Ziya" He said quietly to the now unconscious cred

Xiaolong then looks to the rest of the party and yells a quick "Run!"

[5 ft step to get to Cred's location, standard action to lift Cred atop Xiaolong's shoulders and begin to climb down the rope.]

Narayan
04-27-2014, 02:01 AM
Kromedon Broadbeard
If it looks like people are running through the inner gate that is shutting, I will run for that as the directions specified. If people are not running through the gate, I will assume that the Vulkyrie plan to kill anything near the gate, and instead run for the Filthy Monkey.

Yeah running for the gates at this time seems too risky. Ducking off the street for now is a much wiser course of action.

The Filthy Monkey is located on the upper floor of the three story structure on the corner. You are not the only one to have the idea of ducking within its doors, and that means you have to shoulder you way inside with a bit of a crowd. Reaching The Filthy Monkey is accomplished by means of a creaky old stairwell, or an ingenious elevator contraption at the end of a broad hallway. Some of the other shops within the building are obviously closing early, literally shoving patrons out with lots of loud curses and frightened shouts.

After a harried couple of minutes, you manage to reach the doors of the tavern. To your relief they do not appear to be kicking anyone out, but it would seem they are trying to capitalize on the circumstances...

A large, slightly obese and misshapen brute of a foreigner stands by the entrance. Darker, and more yellowed of skin then the local Akhenatens, you'd guess he was Neferese by the look of his eyes and the style of his bright orange and golden clothing. His hair is tied back in a long braid that hangs down his back, which makes his skull seem even smaller above his thick muscular neck. He carries a heavy bladed short sword tucked into the sash around his great stomach that looks much like a cleaver.

He glares down at you and growls deep within his broad chest. "TODAY WE CHARGE DOUBLE!" He grunts.

[What do you do?]

Hillsy
04-27-2014, 10:23 AM
"What is the plan then? I know some spells that may be helpful."


Burrai flicks the last catch closed on his armour and picks up his helmet. Outside the Dogs caterwauling has become more frenzied - but there was no one for miles in any direction. The noise wasn't going to bring help.

"Then I'd get them ready, Elloral." He says, slipping the helmet down over his head. The world contracted into a familiar shape, framed by the metal eye slot. It felt familiar. Focusing. "From what I can tell, those dogs are too persistent and to spread out to just be on the hunt. Someone brought them, and whomever it is isn't here in the middle of the night with dogs for some tea and scones."

His home was on open land, and he didn't even have a barn. The only cover was a small shed, some rough fencing and an old, broken wagon. While it meant it gave him no chance to flee safely, it also meant no cover for the attackers. He paused for a moment, taking up his axe and shield.

"They'll be expecting us to come through the front door. Or the back." He said to Elloral. "It may not be much, but perhaps we can gain a little surprise by doing neither. Are you ready?" Elloral gave him a tight nod, her hands knotted in front of her. But they weren't shaking. "Here goes then."

Burrai takes a few steps backwards, raises his shield, then sprints and hurls himself through the wooden shutters in a spray of splinters. He lands, rolls, and springs to his feet. Outside the barking fills the air, like a dense fog. He scans around, the world shaded in black and white from his darkvision, looking for whatever threat had borne down upon his home....

Narayan
04-27-2014, 04:48 PM
Ghost in the Darkness: {Shouts} "Everyone down! I will go last and carry Palenrian."

Arminas, Purusartha and Emiko oblige the vampire, sliding down the rope as quickly as they can following Xiaolong. Above you, the terrible screeches of rage and blood lust from the descending Vulkyrie echo through the dungeon spurning you to move even faster!

When ghost finally has a chance to climb down the rope after you, he creates a globe of Deeper Darkness which extends out to a 60 ft radius, easily swallowing the whole of the lower dungeon in it's inky blackness, keeping the Vulkyrie in the dark long enough for you to descend down the full length of the rope.

__________________________________________________ ______________________

<End of Combat>

As you clamber down from the great piles of bones beneath the garbage chutes, Olo, Sher' Reek, Yorick and Sauel are waiting.

Olo: "That was quick!" He says admiringly. "Amazing, I almost didn't think you would pull it off Ghost!"

Ghost in the Darkness: "That obstinate and impatient little Kobold nearly ruined the whole thing! Yet, when the moment came to confront the Vulkyrie, he did so bravely, and put his powers to good use. We have him to thank for getting us out so quickly. He lives yes?" He asks Xiaolong.

Sher' Reek: Glares at Ghost and quickly moves over to Xiaolong's side. "Put him down!" She hisses.

[Everyone: What do you do?]

Narayan
04-27-2014, 05:18 PM
As you launch yourself through the shutters, you tumble into the dirt with a loud CLANK! rolling quickly to get back on your feet in a cloud of dust. Your darkvision serves you well as you have no trouble making out the vicious-looking canines that circle your cottage. Two of them are within 10 ft of you, and you glimpse another pair of them making their way around the other side of the cottage.

These hounds are quite large, easily weighing in over 150 lbs a piece, with strong jaws full of sharp fangs. What's worse, they appear to be wearing custom-fitted, spiked-hide armor and spiked iron collars offering them a good degree of protection from your axe or any attempts to grapple them.

Something about the animals feels wrong to you, as their eyes seem wild and blood-shot, evidently in some sort of bloodthirsty frenzy! But clearly, these animals are not merely wild dogs. Someone trained them, which means their master must also be here...

Just then, you hear a command spoke from the darkness about 30 ft away from a hulking Hobgoblin kneeling low so you didn't glimpse him already, draped in a heavy-black leather cloak. He's holding a compound bow in his hands. You glimpse now that one of his arrows hit your front door, apparently wrapped with some sort of message... That's the sound you must have heard.

HogGoblin: {Speaking Goblin} "ATTACK!"

The hounds snarl and rush towards you to obey his command!

[Roll Initiative!]

rtcvb32
04-27-2014, 06:23 PM
Sauel's eyebrow raised at hearing Ghost say Cred was impatient; It appeared everyone returned (more or less) safely, and the screeches from above didn't make him feel any better. Thankfully it was likely too thin an area for them to come down due to cramped conditions, but that wouldn't last long. Sauel knew birds wanted to be high up with room around them to retreat; Vuls were no different. Sauel himself barely knew Cred and had only been working with him since an hour before they made their way to the sewers.

A glance over the group Cred seemed to be the only one 'down'. Reaching into his pouch he pulls out one of the two potions of cure moderate wounds. He was going to uncork it to give to Cred but Sher' Reek's devotion and hissing made him pause in mid-step. Sauel wasn't about to get in a pissing contest with the sorceress over who had first dibs to care for him, Kobold physiology wasn't his specialty anyways.

They needed to leave quickly, they could lick their wounds later. Sauel taps Sher' Reek's shoulder getting her attention and offering the bottle. "Heeaal Potion. Giiiveee to Crrreeedd and thenn weeee leeeave!"

Zemile
04-27-2014, 08:52 PM
Kromedon Broadbeard
Kromedon is not especially proficient at shoving his way through a crowd, so it is not a quick process, but he is naturally adept at not getting shoved around himself, so he rarely makes any retrograde progress, and thus maintains steady, if slow, forward progress. By the time Kromedon reaches the large man at the top of the stairs, he has most likely already heard the large man make the same claim of double cost to other would be patrons. He has a gold coin in hand, which he holds up for the man to take. "A gold coin for a window seat with a view of the gates." presumably the coin is gone regardless of the man's intention of fulfilling the request. "I'll buy a sealed flask of spirits at your double rate if you can make it a seat with a little elbow room." Kromedon will take whatever space he gets, the offer may or may not be good enough for a reasonable location, but he isn't going to complain either way.

Shun001
04-28-2014, 03:23 AM
Xiaolong sliding down the rope with one arm holding cred on his shoulders he makes a sloppy thud at the bottom to which everyone seems to spend a few seconds regrouping, Sauel and Sher'Reek have their back and fourth as Xiaolong shifts him into a piggy back position then quickly makes his own remark.

"If you heal do the quick, we must now go..." he then looks at Olo

"friend, you the way back with hole?" Xiaolong politely asked about his magical portal.

~There is no way we can rest easy after this, they will be on high alert... though we NEED the rest, some of us look ready to drop from exhaustion.~

Daydreaming
04-29-2014, 12:51 AM
{Emiko quickly slides down the rope with the others, being the second to last down the chute, followed by Ghost and Palenrian. As soon as she has her feet on the ground, she rushes over to Olo to anxiously await his portal, but pauses for a moment when she hears Sher'Reek's command.}

-Speaking Katanese-"Baka!" She exclaims."He will not put him down!" She says in an angry tone to Sher'Reek. "We do not have time to care for him right this moment! We must get out of here first, the Vulkyrie are swarming up there! We can heal him once we are safe." She shouts urgently to the others. -Speaking Katanese- "Gomen'nasai, jikan ga arimasen!" She yells at Olo in her frustration. She rushes up to him getting ready to take the portal from him, and set it up herself if he doesn't do it fast enough. "We must go now!"

(Purple lettering was spoken in common. Translation for Katanese: Baka! = Idiot!, Gomen'nasai, jikan ga arimasen! = I'm sorry, there is no time for this!)

Narayan
04-29-2014, 10:00 PM
As you clamber down from the great piles of bones beneath the garbage chutes, Olo, Sher' Reek, Yorick and Sauel are waiting.

Olo: "That was quick!" He says admiringly. "Amazing, I almost didn't think you would pull it off Ghost!"

Ghost in the Darkness: "That obstinate and impatient little Kobold nearly ruined the whole thing! Yet, when the moment came to confront the Vulkyrie, he did so bravely, and put his powers to good use. We have him to thank for getting us out so quickly. He lives yes?" He asks Xiaolong.

Sher' Reek: Glares at Ghost and quickly moves over to Xiaolong's side. "Put him down!" She hisses.


Sauel taps Sher' Reek's shoulder getting her attention and offering the bottle. "Heeaal Potion. Giiiveee to Crrreeedd and thenn weeee leeeave!"

Sher' Reek: Snatches the offered potion and takes a couple steps away from the fearsome werewolf. "Keep back!" She hisses.


"If you heal do the quick, we must now go..."

He then looks at Olo. "Friend, you the way back with hole?" Xiaolong politely asked about his magical portal.


-Speaking Katanese-"Baka!" She exclaims."He will not put him down!" She says in an angry tone to Sher'Reek. "We do not have time to care for him right this moment! We must get out of here first, the Vulkyrie are swarming up there! We can heal him once we are safe." She shouts urgently to the others. -Speaking Katanese- "Gomen'nasai, jikan ga arimasen!" She yells at Olo in her frustration. She rushes up to him getting ready to take the portal from him, and set it up herself if he doesn't do it fast enough. "We must go now!"

(Purple lettering was spoken in common. Translation for Katanese: Baka! = Idiot!, Gomen'nasai, jikan ga arimasen! = I'm sorry, there is no time for this!)

Sher' Reek: Glares at Emiko.

Olo: Seems a bit taken-aback by Emiko's outburst. "Whoa, calm down! I'm getting it..." He says pulling his portable portal from his garments and laying it upon the ground. Instantly the familiar hole through dimension appears, with the still-dark cellar on the other side. Rabi appears to catch your scent and barks, poking his head out over the portal.

Ghost sits Palenrian down beside the portal, still conscious, but once again groaning in serious pain from the teleportation gone awry.

Arminas kneels down beside Palenrian, the two off-worlders reunited again at last.

Palenrian: "Ar...Arminas? Is it truly you?"

Arminas: {Places a comforting hand on his shoulder} "It is friend. We should never have separated. I should have known you would end up in a place like this without me to watch your back."

Palenrian: "I keep trying to die a martyrs death, yet fate has a habit of keeping me alive, if only to keep torturing me..." He says with a wry bit of dark humor, spitting up blood as he chuckles.

Ghost in the Darkness: "Are all the men from your world as tough as you?.

Palenrian: "Not all, but most are likely to have better luck!"

Ghost in the Darkness: "My job here is done then. I will be going now. I suggest you do the same." He says plainly.

Arminas: Looks up to the vampire appreciatively. "We are in your debt."

Palenrian: Also looks up to Ghost with gratitude. "Thank you."

Ghost in the Darkness: Nods with acknowledgement. "We may fight again together. There's a lot left to do to overthrow the Vul."

[Everyone: What do you do?]

rtcvb32
04-29-2014, 10:22 PM
"Taake Caarre" Sauel replied to Ghost; Sauel tried not to sound nearly as disgruntled as the way it came out as a hybrid. He also had the impression this wouldn't be the only time he worked with this vampire, although next time could be more indirect. Although Ghost was undead, Sauel wouldn't hold that minor detail against him, since ghost had been honorable and helpful the entire time.

Sauel having given up the potion could do little else than wait for when they would go through the portal. He didn't want to delay, but he certainly also didn't want to be the first through, rather he would probably be one of the last ones going through unless Olo thought otherwise.

The bark from Rabi caught Sauel's attention and reaching forward he touched the wolf's head. ~Stay There, be quiet~ he gave a mental command which Rabi would better understand than his hybrid's voice, plus be far faster. Already he felt more physically weary knowing they were almost done. Still, just in case with the Vul being so close he pulls out the dust of dispersion. If the Vul ventured close enough quickly enough, it might just tip the tables long enough to get away.

[ 1 Potion of Cure Moderate Wounds removed ]

Narayan
04-30-2014, 10:03 AM
__________________________________________________ ________

<Start of Round 1>



Bleeding Damage ( * )

Fire Damage ( # )

Cold Damage ( @ )
Spell Damage ( ^ )
Poison Damage ( ! )


The order of initiative is:

(21) Hound 1
(21) Hound 3
(20) Hobgoblin (-13^)
(18) Elloral (-7)
(14) Hound 2
(06) Hound 4
(04) Burrai

[Hounds 1 & 3 Initiative are effectively a 20 this first round, as they waited for the Hobgoblins command to attack]
__________________________________________________ ________

Narayan
04-30-2014, 10:55 AM
Kromedon Broadbeard
Kromedon is not especially proficient at shoving his way through a crowd, so it is not a quick process, but he is naturally adept at not getting shoved around himself, so he rarely makes any retrograde progress, and thus maintains steady, if slow, forward progress. By the time Kromedon reaches the large man at the top of the stairs, he has most likely already heard the large man make the same claim of double cost to other would be patrons. He has a gold coin in hand, which he holds up for the man to take. "A gold coin for a window seat with a view of the gates." presumably the coin is gone regardless of the man's intention of fulfilling the request. "I'll buy a sealed flask of spirits at your double rate if you can make it a seat with a little elbow room." Kromedon will take whatever space he gets, the offer may or may not be good enough for a reasonable location, but he isn't going to complain either way.

The ugly brute of a Neferese takes the offered gold coin with fat fingers and holds it up to his teeth to test its authenticity... a rather rude and unnecessary gesture, for Dwarves generally love gold too much try and pass off fake coins...

Satisfied, he half-turns and barks a command in Neferese to one of the serving girls who rushes to his side. The bouncer apparently informs her of your wishes, and jerks his head for you to follow her inside. It seems rare for a dwarf to enter this place, as you get quite a few curious stares and some outright snickers.

The Filthy Monkey is not nearly as well kept up as the Beard and Brew. Spills and stains can be seen on both the floors and the tables as most of the serving girls are too distracted swatting away mens grasping hands to do much cleaning. You get the impression that these scantily-clad serving girls can be made to do more then serve you drinks, for a price...

The common room currently seats about sixty, with seats enough for thrice that number during busier times of the day. Probably at least a third of these patrons are drunks who sat here all night. Mostly seedier Akhenatens who have less care for the principles of Ishvar, and at least a dozen Neferese patrons who strut about the place like princes in their own palace. Nearly all the staff are Neferese, but you'd guess most of these serving girls are actually full-blooded Caishians. Likely mistreated, uneducated, and obviously kept poor by the looks of them.

The girl leads you to your table by a window with a view of the gates, grabbing away some dirtied plates for you before asking in very rough common. "Bring you bottle of Baiju, cost 6 silver, you like? Want anything else?"

[What do you do?]

Zemile
04-30-2014, 04:34 PM
Kromedon Broadbeard
Kromedon takes a seat against the window, better to have to crane one's neck to look out, than to have one's back to this room. While he is no stranger to taverns, and has likely been in seedy places like this before, he tries to avoid it, and knows better than to risk any of these overused, under cleaned women. "Make sure the bottle is still sealed, I'll open it myself. Take your time, I have a feeling I may be here for a while." He then devotes one eye to the brewing troubles outside, and the other one to the possibility of shenanigans inside.

Hillsy
05-01-2014, 05:08 PM
"ATTACK!"


The Hobgoblin's rasping command rings through the night, bringing with it a fresh peal of howls from the beasts. Burrai scans around, taking stock of the dangers, building a plan of the battle in his mind. Bringing up his shield he realizes at once he'll never get himself in advantageous position before the dogs, ready to spring, fall on him.

"Elloral!" He cries. "Cover me!"

Burrai hunkers down, making himself a small target behind the thick steel of his shield

~They may have the advantage now, but Burrai Steelborn is no easy meat!~

[Activate combat expertise - ATT: -4, AC +4]

Daydreaming
05-01-2014, 05:31 PM
Ghost in the Darkness: "My job here is done then. I will be going now. I suggest you do the same." He says plainly.

Arminas: Looks up to the vampire appreciatively. "We are in your debt."

Palenrian: Also looks up to Ghost with gratitude. "Thank you."

Ghost in the Darkness: Nods with acknowledgement. "We may fight again together. There's a lot left to do to overthrow the Vul."

[Everyone: What do you do?]
{Emiko glares right back at Sher'Reek, warning her with her blood red eyes. Emiko becomes more calm once she sees Olo open the portal. She hears Ghost speak of leaving and a look of sadness comes upon her face as she stares at him.}

"Will I... I mean... Will we see you again soon? I would still like to..." She speaks in a somber tone to Ghost before being interrupted by Kitsune.

{Kitsune chitters in happiness when she sees Emiko through the portal, and Emiko turns to acknowledge Kit for a moment before returning her attention back to Ghost.}

~Not now... I told you everything would be fine Kit. Just relax...~

Emiko gives a frustrated sigh to Ghost. "It doesn't matter..." She trails off quietly. -Speaking Katanese- "Dai suki dayo..."

{Emiko sadly turns back to the portal and readies herself to go through it with the others.}

(Translation: Dai suki dayo = I really like you. )

Shun001
05-01-2014, 08:44 PM
Xiaolong shoulders Cred as farewells are said from ghost, Xiaolong turned facing him and replied back.

"I no like you the kind... that be said, you good man, honor work you with. Should need the beggar ear, beckon old man Xiaolong."

Xiaolong then tuned to the portal which came alive with the sound of chattering animals and walked through, [balance check going through orientations of portals = 31 natural 20 roll] Xiaolong seamlessly transitions with a small efficient hop onto the flat ground of the cellar, the body of Cael quietly resting wrapped in cloth. Xiaolong looked at the outlined shadow of the dead and lets out a remorseful sigh.

Placing Cred in a seated position on the ground he attends to the Kobold making sure he would rouse into consciousness.

"Little healer okay you?" he speaks calmly to him "anything need? I get for you"

Xiaolong then turned to the rest of the party as they entered through,

"we need help the people who hurting" he scans Palenreian and Olo the best he can in this darkness.

~Where is my pipe? my throat is dry and itching for tobacco and alcohol~

Xiaolongs headache proceeds to grow worse.

Narayan
05-02-2014, 02:38 AM
Fiendish Hound 1: (Bite Attack: = 18, Miss)

Fiendish Hound 3: (Charge + Bite Attack: = 10, Miss)

The closest Hound circles and snaps at you but seems to have trouble finding a weak spot in your armor. The other closest hound circles but waits (not it's turn in initiative yet) and then a third hound charges you and snaps its jaws at you during a flying leap but misses badly.

Hobgoblin: (Fires Compound Longbow/ Precise Shot: = 20, Miss)

You feel and hear a loud TANG! As a heavy sheaf arrow fired from the Hobgoblins Compound Longbow deflects off your steel plate!

Elloral: Looks through the shattered shutters to assess the fighting and spots the bow-wielding Hobgoblin and decides to target him with a Searing Light spell. (Ranged Touch: = 24, Hit)(Damage: = 13)

A blinding ray of light fires from her outstretched hand to strike the Hobgoblin. He shouts with pain as his flesh burns!

Fiendish Hound 2: (Bite Attack, +1 Flanking: = 10, Miss)

Hound 2 finally moves in to attack, but cannot find a good spot to bite at you either.

Hound 4 is drawn to the light from Elloral's spell and leaps up to bite at her hand through the open window!

Fiendish Hound 4: (Bite Attack, -2 for cover: = 15, Hit)(Location: Right Hand)(Damage: 7)

Elloral screams as the Hound clamps its jaws over her outstretched hand, growling savagely and refusing to release it's hold!

[Can do continuous damage each round in this fashion, and prevent her from casting spells at the same time]

[Burrai: It is your turn. What do you do?]

Narayan
05-02-2014, 04:03 AM
Kromedon Broadbeard
Kromedon takes a seat against the window, better to have to crane one's neck to look out, than to have one's back to this room. While he is no stranger to taverns, and has likely been in seedy places like this before, he tries to avoid it, and knows better than to risk any of these overused, under cleaned women. "Make sure the bottle is still sealed, I'll open it myself. Take your time, I have a feeling I may be here for a while." He then devotes one eye to the brewing troubles outside, and the other one to the possibility of shenanigans inside.

The serving girl probably couldn't understand everything you said, but she returns with an interesting squat porcelain jug that has a cork sealed with wax.

Serving Girl: "Baiju! You pay, six silver, please!"

After receiving payment the girl moves off, but then another female moves to stand in her place beside your table. This one is no girl, but an adult Caishian woman by the look of her pale round face, black hair and dark eyes.

She is dressed something like a warrior, which is very unusual for a woman in her culture. Her leggings are loose in the local desert fashion, made of more durable fabric then silks, worn over supple leather boots with steel plates strapped over her shins. Her tunic is rolled up around her forearms, revealing steel-plated leather bracers. Beneath her loose tunic you glimpse other sheets of steel plate strapped around her middle and her ribs, and finally, a thick leather head-band features a sturdy steel band as well.

Her hair is cut very short and shaggy, almost boy-like. She is pretty, but certainly doesn't act very feminine. She also wears a very light, airy cloak over her shoulders that would do little to repel water but serves adequately against wind-blown sand and sun. You see nothing on her person that you'd consider a weapon, although there appear to be some kind of rods tucked into her waistband attached to each other with a short chain.

Caishian Woman: -Speaking Common- "I'd guess you've never tried Baiju before have you sir dwarf?" She asks in perfect common. "Take care, it's probably the strongest drink you've ever tasted made by humans. I'd suggest sharing that jug with me if you want to stay somewhat sober for the rest of the day. What do you say?"

Narayan
05-02-2014, 05:05 AM
Ghost in the Darkness: Stares into Emiko's red eyes with his violet gaze and smiles slightly. "Perhaps it is you they should call Ghost, pale one..." He lifts a hand towards Emiko's face, as if he means to touch it, but at the instant his skin would make contact with hers he shifts to gaseous form. All Emiko feels at that point is a deep chill as he rises up into the air before her.

Purusartha: "Many thanks!" He shouts up at Ghost. "Now lets get out of here while we still can!" He says, following Xiaolong.

After everyone has passed through the portal into the cellar of The Drunken Fool, Olo is last to step through. Then he reaches back to retrieve the other part of the portal, followed by the one at your feet and effectively closes it.

Olo: Exhales with relief. "Glad that's done!" The halfling says lighting his lantern once again.

__________________________________________________ __

<End of Scene 5><End of Act 2>


Experience Award Time (* = Normal xp adjusted for bloodlines, roleplaying xp is not penalized for bloodlines like normal xp)

Main Group______________________________________

PC's

Crdechzkragar - 2,200 xp + 700 bonus roleplaying xp +3 character points
Emiko - 2,300 xp + 800 bonus roleplaying xp + 3 character points
Sauel - *1,750 xp + 550 bonus roleplaying xp + 2 character points
Xiaolong - 2,250 xp + 750 bonus roleplaying xp + 3 character points

NPC's
Arminas - 750 xp
Olo - 1,000 xp
Purusartha - 1,000 xp
Sher' Reek - 750 xp
Yorick - *500 xp

__________________________________________________ __

Other Group_________________________________________

PC's
Burrai - 500 xp + 500 bonus roleplaying xp
Kromedon - 500 xp + 500 bonus roleplaying xp

NPC's
Elloral - 250 xp
__________________________________________________ __