PDA

View Full Version : 5E what do you think?

lokiare1
03-07-2014, 11:31 PM
So what does everyone think of 5E?

Vyrolakos
03-08-2014, 06:17 AM
I've moved over from D&D 3.5 to Pathfinder and I'm very happy with it. I've tried (bought the books and played) D&D 4th Edition and I'm personally very unhappy with it and the direction it took.

So, I think 5th Edition will have to prove itself before I go anywhere near it. Effectively, WotC have lost me as a customer. They will have to pull something truly impressive out of the bag to get me back.

Soft Serve
03-08-2014, 02:14 PM
Same as I said in chat. It should be good. I think they've taken their time and put forth a genuine effort with this one. I don't remember ever really hearing about 4e before it came out. It was just kind of dropped on me a day or so before its release, and once I had read through it it was just... bad. Uncomfortable and just a hard read. Pages and pages of little "cards" that represented character abilities does not a book make.

I think with the community playtesting and feedback they've received, using 3.5 as a base model for the game and condensing the skills like they did in 4e (which was one of the only good things they did with that edition.) This should be a decent system. One that I will try for sure before making a final judgement, but I have high hopes.

nijineko
03-08-2014, 02:36 PM
pathfinder = blah. 4e = blah. 5e = interesting playtest, but we'll wait and see until they start putting out expansion books.

Soft Serve
03-08-2014, 03:15 PM
I'm excited for the expansion material already being a huge fan of Warforged and Changelings who both come out of Eberron. I'll buy Eberron and never use any material other than those two races and be happy with it. XD

Though I hope the shardmind come back as well. I actually really liked them for no real specific reason. They just seemed cool to me but they were wasted potential in 4e. A better Psionic suited race than Dromites or Half-Giants in my opinion.

lokiare1
03-09-2014, 06:35 PM
After reading this article http://angrydm.com/2014/01/gaming-for-fun-part-1-eight-kinds-of-fun/ I realized that I liked 4E because I enjoy the Challenge type of fun. Others enjoy their preferred editions because it provides the other kinds of fun.

My problem with 5E involves their goals of allowing every play style and trying to unite the fan base and then only providing 2-3 of the major types of fun, which means again they will only capture about 1/3 of the TTRPG market.

Soft Serve
03-10-2014, 02:28 AM
7/8 of the things in that article save "Sensory Pleasure" are, in my opinion, the DMs charge to create or change for his players so they enjoy the game regardless of system or mechanics.

3.5 is my favorite edition, but I houserule a lot. And I apply a lot of expansions. And a lot of custom made material, special things exclusive to the campaign I'm running at that moment. Running vanilla anything ever, is not fun in any way for me. You can call that the "Expression" type of fun if you want.

The rulebooks I have are guidelines for my own creation, and I like the terms and mechanics presented and operated in 3.5 more than I do 4e, and 5e looks like an updated and possibly better version of the one I already enjoy.

TorteStone
03-23-2014, 05:30 AM
I'm going to wait until 5th is out a running adventures for a year or two before checking it out myself (Pathfinder "meh", 4th Ed = not my cup of tea btw).

@ lokiare1 (http://www.penandpapergames.com/forums/member.php/731-lokiare1): That article is cool! Looking through it right now.

-Will-

Malruhn
03-29-2014, 01:46 PM
I don't remember ever really hearing about 4e before it came out. It was just kind of dropped on me a day or so before its release, and once I had read through it it was just... bad.
I find the second sentence hard to believe. The DAY BEFORE 4E was dropped, Wizards issued yet ANOTHER press release and spammed their forum boards with, "There is no new edition in any stage of development. Stop asking."

Then, the next day, they had the unveiling of 4E.

They ticked me off - and I won't be back for ANY edition of Wizards' product. I've got my Pathfinder and I am done.

Sneaksta
03-30-2014, 12:22 AM
For me, as i had started my TT RPG experiences with D&D 1st ed, then hardcore Advanced 2nd ed, 3.5 was awesome. Blew the options wide open, and allowed eons of fun to be had! Now that isn't to say it was problem free, nor is Pathfinder. However, I looked at Pathfinder, and was wowed at the input from gamers themselves that they used, and was very impressed. To me they took the 3.5 premises, and fixed a ton of problems, and made it better. That is why it is referred to as, by some, D&D 3.75, as produced by Paizo, LOL. Looked at and played a couple 4e adventures, and was almost sickened as to how WOTC had, in my opinion, Taken a wonderful game, and ruined it. Now, as for 5E, I am skeptical. I will hold any opinion to what i think till after release, and dutiful inspection and play testing. However, we will see if WOTC can make up for and recover from the disgrace they have brought upon themselves......

DMMike
03-31-2014, 08:56 PM
I'm really excited to look at all the 5E artwork and steal all the cool flavor ideas...while reading at Barnes and Noble. And every time I walk out I'll still have $50 in my pocket.

Skunkape
04-02-2014, 12:25 PM
I'm pretty sure I won't be running any 5e games. Will I play it, if someone in our group buys the books, but I'm not really that interested in investing in the system at the moment. I've switched back to BRP, something that I ran many years ago when it was Runequest and I really liked it. But I went back to DnD because of how much popularity it had.

I've slowly but surely managed to get players in my group interested in at least trying BRP so that's what I'm sticking with to run my weird west campaign, my fantasy campaign and my sci-fi campaign. I want to run a superhero campaign and if I end up doing that, I'll use DC Adventures.

nijineko
04-06-2014, 01:47 PM
well, i've found my comfortable niche - that being psionics; so unless 5th ed support psionics, i am unlikely to play it. which saddens me as i really wanted to try out pathfinder too, but they don't support psionics in core.

i did find it amusing that they are trying to mix in simplicity of game mechanics with legacy stuff from the old editions.

Sneaksta
04-06-2014, 09:21 PM
didn't 3.5 have a decent psionics ruleset? if so, just house rule it in for PF :)

Skunkape
04-07-2014, 12:46 PM
I thought there was some 3rd party Psionics rules for PF!

Sneaksta
04-07-2014, 01:01 PM
http://paizo.com/products/btpy91t5/discuss?Ultimate-Psionics
http://paizo.com/products/btpy8i42?Psionics-Unleashed

Psionics for Pathfinder

nijineko
04-08-2014, 11:15 AM
yes, i am aware of the third party products for pathfinder.

my issue is that that there is no first party support for psionics, which may be a meaningless distinction for some, but not for me.

it may sound weird, but i will only play games that support psionics within the context of the first party offerings.

Skunkape
04-08-2014, 12:31 PM
Nope, understand you completely, nijineko.

kirksmithicus
04-26-2014, 01:49 AM
I'll try it, but I won't like it. Then I will then take to the internet my venomous butthurt rage and whine about how bad it is and declare over and over and over again that 4e is the greatest edition of D&D EVAR!!!!!!:)

Really though, I will try it if I like it, I will play it. If it sucks I won't play it and will continue to play games I do like.

MortonStromgal
04-28-2014, 12:37 AM
What I like about pathfinder is the archetypes they use, Wotc likes to insert obscure races and classes where as Piazo stuck to doing the heroes and villains we all read about in fiction. I don't think they really fixed any major issues with 3e but they did fix a lot of minor stuff. So far I like the 5e rules better but every edition of dnd I though was better in the beta rules than the actual release.

eventhorizon
06-09-2014, 03:45 AM
not sure how long it has been since the thread was started but IMO it will be there best in a long time the have some great new mechanics. best of all they will release the basic set as a free PDF on July 3rd as well as the boxed starter set (not free) the basic pdf will cover character creation and will be added to over time as the other books get closer to their respective release dates. I have been DMing since way back and i have to tell you there is very little i dislike about it. the last playtest packet is more than enough to hit the ground running and adjust the rules accordingly. the only thing i was disappointed by was that psionics rules will not be released for awhile, however in the advanced books PHB, MM, DMG there will be rule adjustments where needed for other campaign worlds :). There is so much news about the new edition i would be wrighting for hours. So have a look and see what you think.

Soft Serve
06-09-2014, 07:22 AM
not sure how long it has been since the thread was started but IMO it will be there best in a long time the have some great new mechanics. best of all they will release the basic set as a free PDF on July 3rd as well as the boxed starter set (not free) the basic pdf will cover character creation and will be added to over time as the other books get closer to their respective release dates. I have been DMing since way back and i have to tell you there is very little i dislike about it. the last playtest packet is more than enough to hit the ground running and adjust the rules accordingly. the only thing i was disappointed by was that psionics rules will not be released for awhile, however in the advanced books PHB, MM, DMG there will be rule adjustments where needed for other campaign worlds :). There is so much news about the new edition i would be wrighting for hours. So have a look and see what you think.

I am hoping that they make Psionics core. It always feels like this thing that the developers never want to deal with like D&D's step child or something. But I love it and I know a lot of people like them.

trechriron
06-09-2014, 10:21 AM
I'm very interested based on what I'm hearing thus far. Didn't much participate in the play test, so I want to see the basic rules and the 3 core books. Currently I have Novus to scratch my old school fantasy romps. :-)

Matt James
06-09-2014, 10:39 AM
I've been involved in the internal alpha playtest. I have not been paid by WotC to work on anything 5e, so take that for what it's worth when I say I really enjoy the game.

You can take a simple character built from the basic set and firmly place them into a more advanced version of the game (when the DMG comes out). I really dig that a lot. It plays into my philosophy of game design nicely (make things easy, and then build on that).

Also, something complete missing from 4e, you tend to look at the situation first, then decide how to resolve the conflict--rather than look at your character sheet first, and then decide. Does that make sense?

Carodwen
06-09-2014, 01:12 PM
I like gaming so I will probably buy it and play it. and maybe even run it

Gunnar Greybeard
06-10-2014, 12:50 AM
I will get the Starter Set and at least give it a good going over. Being 'OLD'school I am hoping that basic game is back more being more like the early versions (up to 1E).

Thriondel Half-Elven
06-14-2014, 11:35 PM
I'm very excited about this edition. I read all the playtest material but never really got a chance to play. But from what I've read and heard from other people it makes me excited to game like I was when I first started with 3.5.

I've actually preordered the Starter Set and 3 core books and can't wait for them to come out!

Talmek
06-16-2014, 08:15 PM
I plan on purchasing the core books (PH/DMG/MM) really more out of curiosity than anything else at this point. As I have done with most of my 4e collection, I purchased them in keeping with my collecting role playing games. I haven't been keeping up with the play testing, despite my invitation I could never really find the time to play and provide feedback. More than anything else I'm disappointed that they are staggering the release of each of the core books by a month.

So it's a wait and see approach for me on this edition.

Thorn
07-30-2014, 01:48 PM
I'll wait and see, if it flows as nice as the playtesting that Kaewin did it should be a very interesting system.

DMMike
07-30-2014, 10:25 PM
4-month update: well, lots of the facts are out now. I have to say, the similarities between 5E and my homebrew (was an open design process) are a little creepy. But 5E has a shining point: it looks to be 3E minus the large bonuses. AND 5E has invested in character backgrounds, all but forcing PCs to actually have backgrounds. It's about time.

Matt James - any chance you can elaborate on the "look at situation first, not character" aspect? It sounds interesting.

falinxelote
07-31-2014, 06:24 AM
right off the bat I see a couple of things I'm going to take issue with but nothing some house rules wouldn't fix. All in all I'm looking forward to trying a game out, skeptically though.

rabkala
09-23-2014, 07:41 PM
Just started a 5e game. so far so good. I like how it is so far, but they could easily trash it with all sorts of supplemental material and settings. As I start it feels far better than 4e, though I loved 3.5 and pathfinder. I'm somehow excited, almost like when I first started playing in 1979.

Soft Serve
09-28-2014, 10:56 AM
Just started a 5e game. so far so good. I like how it is so far, but they could easily trash it with all sorts of supplemental material and settings. As I start it feels far better than 4e, though I loved 3.5 and pathfinder. I'm somehow excited, almost like when I first started playing in 1979.

Trash it with supplemental material? How can you not like supplemental material?

Aurora_Skies
10-01-2014, 01:04 AM
I enjoy it. It kinda sucks they are moving away from grid maps and minis because well a lot of us enjoy that but I always have my pathfinder mini map packs :) Happy Gaming.

Matt James
10-04-2014, 09:14 AM
I'm loving 5e. One note, you can still use grid maps. I use the PFRGP map packs for the 5e campaign my buddy runs. It works well.

DMMike
10-04-2014, 06:25 PM
Trash it with supplemental material? How can you not like supplemental material?

Supplemental material ruined 3rd edition. Too many feats and prestige classes. Not enough playtesting. Granted, 3rd edition also had some excellent SM. But feats and class abilities were too easily broken, and when you start telling players that they can't use the book on which they spent their hard-earned money, they get testy. Plus, Warlocks and the Book of Nine Swords (?) were supplemental material. Look what they led to.

5e is the much-needed streamlining of 3rd edition, though I get the feeling that WotC didn't have the leash fully secured before they let it out. There will be some great optional rules (modules), and I am both hoping for and fearing the release of the SM. I expect that I'll be playing more core 5e (Player's Handbook 1) than anything else.

Grids? Where we're going, we don't need grids.

Talmek
04-26-2015, 10:36 AM
So...my group had our first session using 5th edition rules and I must say that I was very surprised with how much everyone enjoyed it. Our group consisted of 4 PCs and myself as the DM, running the published Forgotten Realms adventure Hoard of the Dragon Queen. No one had really done more than sample playtesting over a year ago so this was basically everyone's first real taste of the ruleset and implications of them. There were no real issues to report and everyone thoroughly enjoyed themselves.

I'm personally very happy with the edition. However, a word of caution to anyone who would purchase HotDQ: this is not a published setting that you can simply pick up and run straight out of the book. It appears that since the adventure was released prior to the ruleset being finalized this had a somewhat negative impact upon the way that the adventure was assembled (errors and omissions abound). Granted, WotC did release an online supplement that helps with these issues and brings a good bit of order back to the adventure path, but please do not make the same mistake that I did and believe that it's ready to run "out of the box".

Bottom line - my group and I are greatly enjoying the 5th edition rules and look forward to continuing through the Tyranny of Dragons adventure path. If anyone is interested in more specific feedback just let me know.