PDA

View Full Version : Genres you're a sucker for ...

fmitchell
02-07-2014, 11:45 AM
For a while I've known there are two genres of RPG (and other media) I can't resist: Lovecraftian horror and time travel. Considering that Lovecraft and Doctor Who were my two biggest obsessions as a lad, I'm not surprised.

Does anyone else have RPG genres they just can't resist? Or genres they play to the exclusion of all else?

I've put together a poll consisting of what I think are likely answers, but I could just as easily list dozens of genres and sub-genres. Please pick the most specific genres you can. Since fantasy genres overlap, I've put in literary examples to help disambiguate. (Listing games would be less helpful: D&D for example stretches from Dark Sun to Ravenloft to Forgotten Worlds to Spelljammer.)

(I'm betting "Fantasy, Standard" will get the most votes.)

nijineko
02-07-2014, 04:12 PM
psionics and similar psychic phenomena. ^^

supers come in second.

DMMike
02-07-2014, 11:32 PM
What the heck is cyberpunk? I'm getting excited about a flashy, hover-car, holograms, corporate-sponsored, blaster-firing, matrix-surfing, Tron-sporting sci-fi setting. Kind of like 1984 plus the roaring '20s. Otherwise, I just wants it. We wants it. My . . . precioussssss....

Eshaiel
02-21-2014, 01:35 PM
Oh man, I love it all. I have a gnawing hunger for all the beautiful little escapisms. Any well written well considered story strikes me to the core. I have a special love for cyber/plasma/steampunk but not so special that I can really put it above lovecraft or classic sci-fi. Actually about the only thing I have a hard time getting into at all is standard fantasy.

catty_big
02-24-2014, 06:19 PM
What the heck is cyberpunk?
Best quote I ever heard was 'Hi-tech, low-life'. It's basically stuff like Bladerunner.