PDA

View Full Version : Duds- should you include them and do you?

cloa513
01-26-2014, 06:32 PM
By duds, I mean that they can succeed with some skill check but the result is unimportant so they get used to not expecting every skill check to be something major. E.g. The warrior sees a figure with glowing red "eyes" and he rushes over to attack it but its just a tree with some glowing mould. Or they do a perception check and its just a minor but highly stealthy enemy.

DMMike
01-27-2014, 12:33 AM
Should you include them? Of course. I wouldn't call them duds so much as "false alarms." You won't be able to sneak an important roll on your PCs if EVERY roll is an important one.

nijineko
01-27-2014, 09:22 AM
perception checks should be a frequent event. or the party states that they take 10 (depending on game system) and move forward with that until they call for something specific.

Malruhn
04-19-2014, 06:59 PM
I make my players roll LOTS of perception checks... just to keep them on their toes. If you don't, and then, from out of the blue, ask them to roll a check, they suddenly get mega-curious and it ruins any idea of surprise. By making them roll 40-50 a session, they then stay curious... or not... but it's their own decision.

I also make it a habit of passing notes. Some are just general commentary, "You did a good job in that fight". Others are FYI after perception checks, "That coyote is still following the party". Some of them are bogus, "Hit me baby, one more time," can have special instructions, "What color is a polar bear - write the answer and pass this back to me", or can even be totally blank. A _REALLY_ mean one is to just write, "I need you to nod, smile, and then crumple this note and throw it away."

It keep everyone on their toes.