PDA

View Full Version : How bout' this Shiz!

akdaniel96
01-15-2014, 07:27 PM
I think this pertains to the subtopic, so here it goes. I had an interesting idea that might cut back on some work (real time) and create an interesting continuity for fantasy. The idea started with one of my favorite games, Fable. In said game, you have a quest board, similar to a notice board, which is a format i assume most are familiar with.. as opposed to traveling, and building up to an epic quest; have it laid out in an episodic manner, where players could complete one or two episodes of their choice, as opposed to one long quest. The episodic format, while seemingly inferior, possibly opens up many possibilities. It's like a tale your character participates in, and subsequently finishes. To solve the issue of "I want a long term epic campaign", how bout sequential episodes/quests? Like follow up quests that tie the thing together, and thus start a story arc. This is coming from an amateur writers perspective, but i really see something in this. What are you guys' thoughts and opinions? Is this new, or am i late to the party?

DMMike
01-16-2014, 12:02 AM
Is that any different from the Elder Scrolls quest system, in which you get a portion of the quest on your pause screen, and it updates as you complete subsequent portions of the quest?

akdaniel96
01-16-2014, 10:38 AM
Yes, very different, in the Elder Scrolls you receive quests based on NPC's. This would purely be like posted quests. Now that i think about, a better explanation is like monster Hunter. Someone posts a contract, you take it. That sort of thing.

akdaniel96
01-16-2014, 12:33 PM
But in a table top game.

DMMike
01-22-2014, 03:15 PM
In said game, you have a quest board, similar to a notice board, which is a format i assume most are familiar with..

So, that would be a "no" for me!

Is the quest board an in-game Wanted sign? Or is it more meta-game?

Episodic quests sounds great. It sounds like a GM preference though. If that's the case, I say go for it!

akdaniel96
01-22-2014, 07:33 PM
Just prepare a little summary to explain to the players, and ask which one they'd like to do. But yeah, thanks for the feedback.

nijineko
01-23-2014, 02:47 PM
it would really depend on your world-setting. does it fit in with the background of the town/city/country/world/universe? what kind of a world would evolve a town/city/country where such a system becomes the de facto standard? is it unique to a region? how does that region sustain such a cultural artifact? is it a world-wide phenomena? how and why?

if it fits into the world right, then it will be good.