PDA

View Full Version : Pen and Paper Secondary Skills List!! Please Help!

CallMeCosmic
01-07-2014, 03:24 PM
Hello everyone! I want to start work on my own adaptation of the common d20 system to forge my own game. As with most PNP RPGs... I have six Primary Stats that everyone knows by heart now (Strength, Dexterity, Constitution, Intelligence, Wisdom, and Charisma) These may change, however they are not my concern. The problem I have is coming up with a list of secondary skills that would care to the setting of my game which I plan on it being in the Universe of Pirates and ships and what have you. I have looked at many games and wrote down their secondary skills (acrobatics, swim, repair, first aid, etc....) but I need help coming up with more. I need skills that would make sense with the professions and things pirates would have to know how to do during this time period like cook, repair sails, navigate, stuff like that. If you could all please list some that you think of even the ones that are the common must haves. I would really appreciate it! THANKS!

nijineko
01-07-2014, 04:49 PM
wooden era sailing ships? modern era? futuristic era? skills will be vastly different based on the tech level, setting type, and sub-genres.

CallMeCosmic
01-07-2014, 07:11 PM
Wooden era sailing ships, think 1600s - 1700s. Sorry for the confusion.

nijineko
01-08-2014, 10:52 AM
ships almost always carried a carpenter.

Sneaksta
01-08-2014, 04:30 PM
Navigation, rope use, Rigging( aka the skill of setting the sails, and maneuvers in sailing ie tacking, quartering the wind, etc), Gunnery( ability to aim and fire ship mounted ballistae( or large mounted spear bow) or other ship mounted missiles of the time. Quartermaster kindof( ability to plan and maintain ship stores and supplies ?) , just a few ideas there.

tesral
01-09-2014, 04:04 AM
It depends on if you are lumping of splitting. If you are a lumper most of the necessary thing to run a ship can be put under "seamanship". Setting sails, splicing rope, knowing the rigging and so forth. Even things like rowing a boat.

As stated the Ship's carpenter was a petty offcier of much importance. Likewise the sailmaker.

Other specialties wouldl be the sawbones, navigation, gunners, cooks.

Some offices don't require specific skills. The purser, who keeps track of the ship's invatory needs reading and math, but a specialized "pursing" skill isn't required.

DMMike
01-09-2014, 08:34 PM
I've got a set of broad skills, but they might get you going in the right direction:
Cast Spell
Concentration
Deceive
Detect
Fight-Melee
Fight-Missile
Fight-Unarmed
Handle Animal
Knowledge-Nature
Knowledge-Scholarship
Larceny
Movement