PDA

View Full Version : The Strange

ronpyatt
12-21-2013, 01:04 AM
Monte Cook and Bruce Cordell are putting together this multi-genre setting where your character changes to fit the new "recursion". Jump from Earth to a fantasy to a futuristic environment. I like Numenera's Cypher System, and now I get to play test it with the Strange.

I've printed each cypher out onto ready strips of paper and distribute them during play. We paperclip the unused cyphers to the character sheets at the end of the session.

Are there any other official Strange play testers here?

nijineko
12-22-2013, 11:18 PM
sounds interesting. linkage, more info?

GladysPotter
01-03-2014, 01:10 AM
at least i am not but assuming that there is majority on my side as well as there is no response has turned out against still

ronpyatt
01-03-2014, 04:05 PM
Yep, the playtesting has begun. The Strange's multiple "worlds" element seems like the adventure possibilities will be endless. Each world can be its own genre, but the Strange is not itself mixed-genre setting, just multi-genre.

The core of your character stays the same when traveling to a new world, but your character's body, equipment, name and focus all change to "fit" the new world. Expect none of your equipment from the world you left to be there, except the cyphers which change to match the setting. Though, your old equipment should show when you get back to the world you left.

We started play on modern Earth. We've now ventured into a sword and sorcery setting called Ardyn. I can only assume the next phase will be a trip to the cybernetic setting called Ruk.

www.thestrangerpg.com (http://www.thestrangerpg.com)

The 3 basic types of characters are Vector, Paradox, and Spinner, which roughly summarizes Physical, Mental, and Social respectively. Then there are a variety of descriptors that you keep no matter the world. Next, the "Focus" of your character changes so that you could be a battle machine on one world, a private investigator on another, and a sorcerer on another world.

nijineko
01-04-2014, 08:29 PM
does sound interesting. thanks for the link. =D