PDA

View Full Version : GM Woes...

TheWorldRiversGame
11-29-2013, 02:02 PM
so, I am a little depressed. I am looking to get a game started with me as the GM, and I can't find any players. I have been advertising in local game shops with flyers and on line in forums like this (I have a post in the Midwest forum here (http://www.penandpapergames.com/forums/showthread.php/28054-The-World-Rivers?p=185675#post185675)) for over a year.

maybe Columbus Ohio is not the best town for gaming?

I don't know, Im just a bit depressed that I have all this time and effort invested in a social hobby and no one to share it with.

anyone have any ideas on how to attract new players?

I am ultimately looking for a long term epic campaign and I need dedicated people. I see alot of people looking for online gaming, but, I really want to use miniatures for the combat and I have a lot of handouts which makes online gaming awkward.

TorteStone
11-30-2013, 04:51 AM
I hear ya! Finding people to get together in the same room, especially with our crazy schedules can be near impossible. I work all weekend and I go to church on Sundays, so it's been extra difficult to find people to game with throughout the week!

That being said, the gamers are out there! I have had luck in IN by reponding to posts at the local library and book stores (early 90's), going to gaming stores (you have one in Westerville here (http://www.bing.com/local/details.aspx?lid=YN671x401908570&q=Games%20Workshop&form=LARE) and college campuses (even after school ended for me).

You have a game, the supply for the need, so you just need to advertise. Perhaps a flyer in the above places with an e-mail address where you can be reached? Word of mouth by any other gamers who cannot attend your game can work, and there's always putting out the call on facebook/craigslist (though you might want to meet at a library or campus for a new group, most can allow you to reserve a room for free).

Good luck on your hunt! I plan on running a game soon, and I plan to run on campus (you can come, if you don't mind the 5hour plus drive!)

-Will-

nijineko
11-30-2013, 05:14 PM
off-the-cuff suggestion... what about taking pictures of all your miniatures and scanning all your handouts?

catty_big
12-01-2013, 09:06 AM
Pity, if you were asking about this earlier (like in the Spring) I'd have suggested advertising for players at Origins (http://originsgamefair.com/), which, although by and large a boardgame con, pulls in reasonable numbers of RPers too. In fact, why don't you contact CAB (http://www.buckeyeboardgamers.org/) (Columbus Area Boardgamers)?* They could well include some roleplayers.

*If you do, please say Hi to Nathan Morse for me.

TheWorldRiversGame
12-01-2013, 01:18 PM
Thanks for the suggestions.

as for the Games Workshop store...I had, at one time, 3 people who expressed interest in my game, but, they were more into warhammer miniatures combat than actual roleplaying. warhammer and D&D are actually very different hobbys and I have found that people who are into one generally aren't into the other. yes, I have miniatures for combat, but, those are just to aid the flow of combat so people don't get confused, its not meant to be the focus. But, I am getting desperate, so I guess its worth a shot!

I am aware of CABS, I went in one weekend and it just seemed like everyone was so engrossed in their own private groups. I actually didn't meet anyone in the 5 hours I was there. no one wants to be bothered or interrupted while they are playing. and when they are done with their game they already have another one lined up with the same group of people. I am not sure how to advertise for an RPG in a group of boardgamers. like wargamers, boardgamers are not necessarily RPGers.

I did just start up a facebook account and facebook page for my game, but, I have no idea how to advertise it or get people to see it. I am not a fan of social media, but, again, I am desperate so I am starting to step outside of my comfort zones in order to get a group going.

luckily, the two other people I have ready to game understand the situation and are being patient.

catty_big
12-01-2013, 03:10 PM
I'm sorry you had a bad experience at CABS, but I'm not surprised. Unfortunately, BGers do tend to be like that. I used to be a member of a boardgame club that met in a pub in Central London and I often heard stories of new folks turning up and not being greeted, in fact being pretty well totally ignored. I'm so glad I got into roleplaying, we're a much more welcoming part of the hobby :D.

On the social media front, have you thought of G+? I'm massively anti-Facebook myself, for various reasons that I won't go into here, but I've found G+ invaluable as a networing tool, plus it's a good way to get games and develop an internet presence, which I suspect is ultimately what you'll have to do in order to get f2f games. Bizarre, but there you go.

nijineko
12-03-2013, 11:34 AM
the internet is the new filtering mechanism for f2f... which is very odd considering, well, you know... the internet. says something about 'first world' societies, it does.

cplmac
12-04-2013, 08:26 AM
If you haven't done so already, another place to look would be on Meetup.com. You would be able to see people that are in the area you are located at. Still, it may take quite awhile before you get enough folks that express interest and actually show up to game. I personally have been able to use both P&PG and a local meetup group on Meetup.com to find enough people to fill seats and get a game going.

TorteStone
12-05-2013, 02:44 AM
So TheWorldRiversGame (http://www.penandpapergames.com/forums/member.php/20960-TheWorldRiversGame),

How have your attempts to get new gamers been going?

-Will-

TheWorldRiversGame
12-06-2013, 11:45 AM
thanks for asking. not well in that I have no new leads. I have reworked my main advertisement and created a facebook page. I plan to hang the new add in some local game stores this weekend. not sure how to get peoples attentions on facebook though, it seems like you need to know people in real life in order for facebook to do anything. unfortunately, all the people I know that game don't use facebook and all the people I know with facebook accounts don't game, so it seems like a dead end.

I thought Meetup.com was a paid service. I have not become so desperate yet as to pay for advertising.

nijineko
12-06-2013, 01:35 PM
meetup is free to join. but to host a group is paid, iirc.

you need to hit locations that gamers can be found:

local schools and universities - look for job boards, general add boards, check for games, strategy, language, theater, anime, and culture clubs.

military hang outs - lots of gamers in the military.

video game stores and arcades - i found one of my best gms and long time friend through commenting on fighting styles with chun-li over a game of SSF2.

also, check out company sites for games you play - they frequently have forums where you can find other local gamers with a pre-vetted interest in the game or company products. for example, steve jackson games has a gamer and store finder database for all sjg products.

TheWorldRiversGame
12-07-2013, 10:26 AM
I am trying out meetup. I found two groups in my area that might have some success, but, I don't know how often people check those boards.

I was a US Marine for 4 years and the only people I could find to game with were people who were bored and had nothing better to do. I would not say that military types are dedicated gamers. I would certainly welcome a member of the armed forces to my group though!

not sure how to advertise at a university. usually university forums require you to be staff or student. I havent been a student for over 10 years.

and I am not going to advertise at local highschools: "Middle aged bald man seeks young children for fun and games!" yeah, thats not creepy...

jpatterson
12-07-2013, 12:33 PM
I dunno, at least if you did advertise at highschools with your example, it would sort of take care of the elephant in the room. But yeah, while I think gaming can bring people of many ages and backgrounds together, there does tend to be a comfortable range. I run a game online that's been going since Feb 2011 that has a military man and someone in charge of a department for his company's entire North American division, so don't give up - it just takes the right situation. Some of the links in this post may be of interest to you, near the bottom:

http://www.penandpapergames.com/forums/showthread.php/19328-Online-RPG-Primer-New-Looking-for-Games-Groups-Players?highlight=

cplmac
12-10-2013, 03:24 PM
I am trying out meetup. I found two groups in my area that might have some success, but, I don't know how often people check those boards.

I was a US Marine for 4 years and the only people I could find to game with were people who were bored and had nothing better to do. I would not say that military types are dedicated gamers. I would certainly welcome a member of the armed forces to my group though!

not sure how to advertise at a university. usually university forums require you to be staff or student. I havent been a student for over 10 years.

and I am not going to advertise at local highschools: "Middle aged bald man seeks young children for fun and games!" yeah, thats not creepy...

First, from another old Marine, Thanks for your service. As for using Meetup to find players, be sure to only use groups that don't charge a fee to be a member. Not sure if it would be helpful, but you could always check Steel City Gamers out on Meetup. I am the Co-Organizer there. Also, be prepared to need to refill seats at times as you go along. Had to do that several times when I was running a long campaign.

nijineko
12-10-2013, 04:54 PM
as far as advertising at schools there are some ways around the creep / not-a-student factor:

colleges: many colleges allow one to attend classes not-for-credit for free or cheap. check at the registrars office. find one you've always wanted to learn about but never got around to, and sign up. presto - you're a student. also, you check through the school directory, find the offices in charge of ESL, clubs, after school activities, etc., and walk in / call them and ask if they are looking for volunteers (ESL always needs volunteers)... presto, you have a legit reason to be on campus and be associated with students. that gives you the ability to show up for clubs and other groups. takes some time commitment, and possibly some money depending on which route you go. ask the students where the notice boards are and what the rules for advertising on them may be (or find the office in charge of that) and off you go.

high schools: two words = parent volunteer. even if you don't have a kid at that school, "contributing to the community" is a possible sell. start with the administration offices. you can volunteer to help with certain clubs - maybe find out which teacher is in charge and speak with them. schools are always strapped for money, so if you can volunteer some time and talents, they are usually willing to at least talk. find out what they need that will match your abilities. if what they need isn't related to gaming or whatever, but they do have gaming possibilities - then spend some time getting to know people and helping out. then, after a suitable interval, find out who is in charge of anything gaming related, and offer to assist there as well.

this all assumes you have time to commit to these activites. and who knows what sorts of connections might open up by getting to know more people in your community. it is also important to ensure that once one does find some gaming opportunities via these methods, that the volunteer activities (if non-gaming related) don't taper off once gaming stuff opens up.

i have personally used some of these methods quite successfully.