PDA

View Full Version : Sci-Fi Beta Kappa is here- Yay!!

catty_big
10-25-2013, 09:39 PM
At last, it's here! Yes, Sci-Fi Beta Kappa, the game about delinquent aliens that a gamer buddy and I designed and which we've been demoing at various UK cons over the last year and a bit (sadly, we're too poor atm to do any non-UK ones :(), finally hits the shelves on November 1st, and will be available to purchase at Indiecon (a major UK con in early November), price £9.

Folks not based in the UK can purchase it from DriveTHRU RPG, for whatever the equivalent of £9 is in local currency, from November 1st this year. Follow this link (https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/44973653/SFBK%20(cover).pdf) to see the cover of the Sci-Fi Beta Kappa book, so you'll know to look out for it :D.

nijineko
10-29-2013, 01:32 PM
Congrats on the release!

catty_big
10-30-2013, 10:36 AM
Congrats on the release!
Thanks! The first of many I hope. I know I'm not going to be the next Gary Gygax but, you know, you gotta try.

catty_big
11-01-2013, 06:25 PM
OK, so the big launch isn't going to be today after all (at least not outside the UK), as the files that were acceptable for my local POD printer to work from are it seems unacceptable to onebookshelf. Every time I try to upload the insides file it says I need to embed all fonts- Yep, I've no problem with that- but it goes on to say that it's detected Arial and Arial Bold in the document- well, I don't know how it's detected that as there's no Arial anywhere in the text, I've gone through it line by line.

Anyway, upshot is it's probably going to take me a couple of weeks to get this sorted, so apologies to my overseas customers who were hoping to bag themselves a copy today, but I will do my level best to get it up before the end of the month. Watch this space...

nijineko
11-04-2013, 03:48 PM
depending on what software you use to generate the pdf, it may put text outside the visible area of the document such as coding, content tags, and other metadata that your software uses. it is quite possible that it uses arial for those pieces of normally invisible metadata. you can try using a file-ripping software, like filejuicer (and if you don't have a mac, find a windows or *nix equivalent) to see the full image/page.

catty_big
11-07-2013, 03:23 AM
Thanks dude. I'll work on that, but while it's being sorted, here (https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/44973653/SFBK%20prices.doc) are the publisher-direct prices.

catty_big
02-11-2014, 07:58 PM
Hurrah! Sci-Fi Beta Kappa is now available from Leisure Games (https://www.leisuregames.com/acatalog/Sci-Fi-Beta-Kappa.html).

DMMike
02-11-2014, 11:25 PM
Hurrah! Sci-Fi Beta Kappa is now available from Leisure Games (https://www.leisuregames.com/acatalog/Sci-Fi-Beta-Kappa.html).

Awesome! Wanna tell us what we can look forward to/why we'll want to play the game?

catty_big
02-12-2014, 06:45 PM
Awesome! Wanna tell us what we can look forward to/why we'll want to play the game?
Sure! First of all, I should say that I havenít just jumped on this forum to shill my game, Iíve posted about it here before, and Iíve been active on the forum for a while, although not recently.

OkÖ

Player agency
SFBK uses a very innovative yes system, whereby anything the characters do using their skills automatically succeeds, the one limitation being that they cannot commit any serious or violent crime, because that would lead to the emergency clause of the Treaty being invoked (see pp3/4), meaning that they would be instantly expelled, and probably repatriated. However, at a skill check they roll for complications of those actions, which we call demerits. Forex, when Kraag (the big, beefy not-Klingon character) pulled up a Xmas tree in the nursery, he used his Super Strength, which he succeeded in doing, but what he didnít know was that that particular tree was reserved for the Dean. Earlier, when Harok (Enhanced Senses) was asked to look out for people or vehicles coming up the road thatís all he did, so he didnít spot the sign saying This Area Reserved For Weber College Staff.

Essentially what Iíve done is separate out the system from the roleplaying, so that the players can get up to whatever anarchic silliness they want, while the demerit total gradually builds up. All the content is entirely* player-generated; all the GM has to do is explain the overall mission, forex, in the scenario Bigfella: Kraag Gets Made, where by mistake Kraag joins the local mafia, and has been told to Ďwhackí someone, I simply drop that in the playersí laps, and let them get on with formulating a plan to extract Kraag from his predicament.

Minimal prep
You hear a lot of games, particularly GMless story games, being described as requiring zero prep. Well, most of them need at least some prep, whereas with SFBK all you have to do is print off the character sheets and player cheat sheets- if you think theyíre necessary- give players a mission, and leave them to it, pausing only to say Yes there is (Player A: Is there a floristís in town?) or Yes you can, or to throw an obstacle in their way in the form of a member of campus security or a police officer, or to voice NPCs. Itís that simple.

The stories toldÖ
Öare awesomely hilarious, as players revel in the intoxicating freedom they have to influence the narrative. Also, as the game is totally different every time (even with the same scenario) it has a high replayability factor.

Good as 'filler fodder'
You know what itís like, out of five players two canít make it and oneís feeling ill- crumbs, what are we going to do? Well, you could play a boardgame, or whip out a light-hearted one-shot such as SFBK. Having said that, itís also possible to run mini-campaigns- see my AP report of the three-weeker I ran at my club a year or so ago. Week 1: lots of in-character roleplaying, no dice rolling; Week 2: dice rolling and demerit totalling but no Epilogue; Week 3: Epilogue.

Finally, all you need in order to play the game is the book, about 17 d6s, and some tokens to use as Merits and House Points. And the bookís only £9!

Link to the RPGGeek RPG page (with loads of session reports) here (http://www.rpggeek.com/rpg/18392/sci-fi-beta-kappa).
Link to the text here (https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/44973653/SFBK.pdf).

*The players can even narrate the complications if they want.