PDA

View Full Version : Geocoding Issue

Skunkape
10-04-2013, 11:37 AM
Hey, I just tried to post a new thread in the Find or Advertise Games in Your Area forum and kept getting a Geocoding Address error. Has anyone else experienced the same issue?

I know the address I'm using is correct because I tested it using the Google Geocoding API!

nijineko
10-04-2013, 12:37 PM
first i've heard of it. i guess it's pester the farcaster time. ^^

Skunkape
10-04-2013, 12:44 PM
Thanks.

I'll hold off till I see if anyone else is having an issue, before I bug him. I'd rather give him a list of everyone's issue rather than hit him willy nilly with issues!

tesral
10-04-2013, 06:22 PM
I'm running into the same thing. At least it isn't me.

A valid address is required for all games which are not marked as "online." The address you entered could not be geocoded. Please hit the back button in your browser and try changing the address entered.

ERROR: Google Reponse page could not be loaded. (Address Passed = )

tesral
10-06-2013, 12:56 PM
Has this issue been dealt with?

Squeakula
10-06-2013, 02:53 PM
I'm having the same problem. Can't even search for nearby gamers as my latitude and longitude cannot be determined by my address.

cplmac
10-07-2013, 09:42 AM
Hmmm, wonder if it is an issue that is actually coming from something at google?

Skunkape
10-07-2013, 04:18 PM
cplmac, well, per my second sentence in my original post, I went to Google's API and tested the address and it worked there. So it makes me wonder if there's something not being passed or maybe received from the API.

nijineko
10-07-2013, 06:41 PM
i say time to bug farcaster. that's an important functionality of our site, if not one of the biggest reasons people come here.

(sad as that may speak of our communities current status. =P )

Skunkape
10-08-2013, 04:51 PM
Sent a message via the PnP Games facebook page.

AKA13
10-08-2013, 08:35 PM
just tried to post a game, listed it as online because no matter what address I used it didn't take, using 3810 federal blvd Denver Colorado (the 711) and tried many others

cplmac
10-10-2013, 09:38 AM
Only reason I asked was that we were having issues at the fire department with the computers. Our resident computer guy swithced them from using Google Chrome to Firefox and have had no problem since. Apparently there was some type of a compatability issue, but then, that is why he is the computer guy and I am the financial guy. I stopped many years (at least 10) ago to try and keep up with the changes with computer stuff like that.

Skunkape
10-11-2013, 04:33 PM
Only reason I asked was that we were having issues at the fire department with the computers. Our resident computer guy swithced them from using Google Chrome to Firefox and have had no problem since. Apparently there was some type of a compatability issue, but then, that is why he is the computer guy and I am the financial guy. I stopped many years (at least 10) ago to try and keep up with the changes with computer stuff like that.

Great suggestion, but unfortunately, doesn't fix the problem. I actually use Firefox most of the time. Also tried to post the game using Chrome and IE, but no luck!:(

Farcaster
10-14-2013, 10:05 PM
I'm working on it now.

Skunkape
10-16-2013, 04:16 PM
I'm working on it now.

Thank you very much sir!:biggrin:

Skunkape
10-30-2013, 02:53 PM
I recently tried to post my game via Firefox and got the geocoding error, but I wanted to let everyone know that when I went to Google Chrome, I managed to get it posted, so if you're trying to post a game on the site, you should also try to post it via Chrome. The version I'm currently using is, 30.0.1599.101 m which is the latest version!

tesral
11-05-2013, 02:21 AM
I just tried with yet a differet browser (Konquer pecular to KDE) Results below.

A valid address is required for all games which are not marked as "online." The address you entered could not be geocoded. Please hit the back button in your browser and try changing the address entered.

Is Google holding the geocashing thing hostage to force crome use?

There isn't even a way to post a game without the fancy stuff that doesn't work.

Skunkape
11-05-2013, 03:30 PM
I just tried with yet a differet browser (Konquer pecular to KDE) Results below.

Is Google holding the geocashing thing hostage to force crome use?

There isn't even a way to post a game without the fancy stuff that doesn't work.

I would hope that's not what is happening, but since it works in Chrome...

REV_G33K
11-06-2013, 03:22 AM
I am using chrome and it didn't work

DiamondDalek
11-14-2013, 12:57 AM
I'm also using Chrome and it hasn't worked for the past month for me. But this doesn't seem to be the only site affected by the geocoding issue, because I saw this on other sites. I don't know, though, and I can't remember what sites. Considering a big reason I joined this site was for easier using of the player searching, I'm kind of disappointed, but I guess I can use the game finding part of the forum.

tesral
11-18-2013, 03:06 AM
Maybe we all need to join google+ (or else)

Seriously does anyone have a google+ account and does it work for you?

Skunkape
11-18-2013, 11:48 AM
I have a Google + account, but I don't log into it from Chrome! Unless they somehow are logging me in without my knowledge, that should not have made a difference. Oh and they do ask me if I want to log in whenever I use Chrome, but I never do. I'm only logged in from Firefox and I couldn't post games from FF.

REV_G33K
11-19-2013, 10:00 AM
I have a G+ account, Am using Chrome, and I am currently logged in to it as part of chrome. Still won't work.

hannon.ac
12-05-2013, 09:13 AM
So, is there some sort of solution to this problem? I pretty much only use this site to attract new players to my game. Now the site doesn't accept my address as valid and coding as an online game is pointless. I sent a message to the "contact us" folks, but as of yet no reply.

nijineko
12-05-2013, 03:31 PM
farcaster said he was working on it... hope we hear an update soon.

Farcaster
12-22-2013, 07:46 PM
It's working. Sorry for the delay. I'm a horrible, horrible, webmaster. :(

nijineko
12-22-2013, 10:43 PM
huzzah! thank you for your efforts, farcaster!

none of us think you are horrible. just rl-challenged. ^^

show up and say hi a few times a month, and we're good. =D

hannon.ac
12-22-2013, 11:58 PM
Awesome, thanks.

REV_G33K
12-23-2013, 10:09 AM
W00t! you rock, going to test it out now!