PDA

View Full Version : Is an Anime/Manga a good choice as setting or a Pen&Paper Campaign?

Gin-German
09-27-2013, 02:53 PM
Hello there guys, a quick but to me very important question: Is an Anime/Manga setting within a Pen&Paper Campaign a good or rather bad idea?

I ask because I have a little big project running using the HEROES System 6th Ed. to build up a long-term One Piece campaign and I have the problem of habing doubts about it. The fact that most people I know here are bashing and mocking ANime and Manga is really starting to make me feel insecure about this project, not in terms of "If it is good or bad, possible or not" yet rather in a "will anybody even dare to play" kind of insecurity.

Whilst I know that insecurities shouldn't really hinder you if you like to do something (which I do in this case) I of course do not want to create a fulld-fledged campaign and story line without anybody wanting to play it.

Thanks in advance for any answers and help you can give me.

Sincerely
Gin

nijineko
09-27-2013, 06:04 PM
well, let's see - there's the original anime rpg teenagers from outer space which drew most of its inspiration from (of all things) urusei yatsura... much as i dislike takahashi and most of her works, the game was fun despite that. (still available on drivethrurpg)

then there's the bubblegum crisis rpg, never played it, but its out there. (can be found on amazon)

and of course, the still popular besm game (also on amazon)

there is also the soon to be released ova (wiseturtle) which was successfully kickstarted. ^^

i think that's fair proof that it can be done, and that there is a market for it.

it might also help if you told us a little about what your acquaintances are saying about anime and manga so we can help you determine if they really know what they are talking about, or are just aping others uninformed opinions.

in any case, you should know that anime and manga is a huge thing in america for a reason, even if there are groups of haters out there, it would not be in mainstream books stores if it wasn't popular. i've been exposed to all sorts of anime and manga for a long while now, and i've lived in both japan and america, so i've seen the sides that americans don't see, too.

and last, the two dark secrets of roleplaying is that it doesn't matter what you game with, but rather who you game with; that and you don't actually need rules. (but don't tell people that, or they might stop buying books. =P )

believe in yourself. build your rpg. better it through constructive feedback. and have fun. ^^

Gin-German
09-28-2013, 05:09 AM
well, let's see - there's the original anime rpg teenagers from outer space which drew most of its inspiration from (of all things) urusei yatsura... much as i dislike takahashi and most of her works, the game was fun despite that. (still available on drivethrurpg)

then there's the bubblegum crisis rpg, never played it, but its out there. (can be found on amazon)

and of course, the still popular besm game (also on amazon)

there is also the soon to be released ova (wiseturtle) which was successfully kickstarted. ^^

i think that's fair proof that it can be done, and that there is a market for it.

it might also help if you told us a little about what your acquaintances are saying about anime and manga so we can help you determine if they really know what they are talking about, or are just aping others uninformed opinions.

in any case, you should know that anime and manga is a huge thing in america for a reason, even if there are groups of haters out there, it would not be in mainstream books stores if it wasn't popular. i've been exposed to all sorts of anime and manga for a long while now, and i've lived in both japan and america, so i've seen the sides that americans don't see, too.

and last, the two dark secrets of roleplaying is that it doesn't matter what you game with, but rather who you game with; that and you don't actually need rules. (but don't tell people that, or they might stop buying books. =P )

believe in yourself. build your rpg. better it through constructive feedback. and have fun. ^^

MANY thanks for your reply and I personally work on making the world of One Piece the setting whilst using the HEROES System for maximum freedom for character creation! Of course I do not "need" rules and dice for a good roleplay, but since this is still supposed to be a "game" I keep the dice and system, but tweak it a little to keep things fun!

That said, the fun is still the core of the whole thing, just so you know I won't be a grumpy numbercrunching GM that obeys the Rulebooks as if they were the epitome of everything. It's a "guideline" (the HEROES System even says it's up to me what I do!) that I go by to keep things in order but also to let them design their characters, powers etc. as they wish to.

Lastly what my "acquaitances" say is that they ridicule Anime and Manga because of their "usual" over-the-top attacks, powers and similar. They mostly refer to Manga/ANime like DBZ, Naruto and also One Piece, but I personally know better. Despite this though I really needed another one's opinion here to get this nagging feeling of insecurity off my shoulders....but you nijineko really helped me there. That leaves me with the final hurdle to actually pulls this off: A few peeps to play with!

TorteStone
09-28-2013, 05:14 AM
Adding my thumbs up for anime play!

One of the last 3.5 D&D books published was Tome of Battle: book of nine swords, which added an anime like feel to D&D, which should be enough "cred" to do anime style play.

While I would not personally run a Horror or Dark Fantasy in anime form, emulating a manga for a campaign (as it seems you are doing) sounds perfect!

I've heard being a nerd means not having to hide what you're into, so embrace your inner nerd and have fun with what ever game you're going to play!

-Will-

Gin-German
09-28-2013, 05:36 AM
Thanks Torte, I'll check the Tome of Battle when I have the time, though currently I plan on using the HEROES System because it offers more freedom creating attacks, powers and unique equipment. As an example, how would you categorize a pair of rapiers if one of them has a machine attached that heats up the blade to do heat damage and the other one expels a cloud of thick smoke that cloaks an area with a diameter of 3m? (HEROES uses the metric, not the imperial system)

Another example is how you'd scale damage up, since in One Piece people have been cracking whole MOUNTAINS with their bare fists, so how would that be according to the D&D Rules? I am not saying those rules are bogus, but they are made for "realistic" fantasy play whilst One Piece tends to be at the level of "super-heroic" characters that are capable of destroying whole settlments in the blink of an eye. D&D is not made for such extreme levels of damage and destruction, but perfect for fantasy play la Lord of the Rings where battles are fought in (more or less) realistic manners with characters that are still considered "average" or slight above that in terms of their power, nimbleness and alike.

However this Tome of Battle really sounds interesting...gotta look at it and regarding how I plan to do this conversion of One Piece is simple: I only forbid any powers and characters that are essential to the Manga/Anime, as well as the movies (filler characters). Races like the Fishmen, the Longarm/Longleg tribes will exist however, just like any location that the characters have visited as these are part of the WORLD. Also I wish to include the iconic type of technology found in One Piece, like the Den Den Mushi, Seastone, the Cyborgs and similar to keep the "flair" of the world intact.

nijineko
09-30-2013, 11:20 AM
well, the pair of rapiers are pretty easy to replicate with d&d. magic items refluffed as mechanical contraptions. done.

as for the scaling... i'd either have to dip into epic and divine rules, or borrow from d20 and d20 third party - such as mutants & masterminds. but it could be done either way, pretty close. ^^ so mountain cracking is possible in d&d. well, it is in 3.x anyway.

but then, i've been playing d&d for over 25 years, so i know my way around most of the rules, even obscure ones.

as for your anime bashers, have them watch seirei no moribito (usually translated as guardians of sacred heart or sacred spirit).

and maybe some miyazaki/studio ghibli productions as well.

tesral
10-02-2013, 02:23 AM
If you depend on others for your happiness, you will be forever disappointed. -- The Tao of Phoenix

Do what you like. Build your project, you will find the fans thereof. Never let the naysayers take contrtol of your actions. They are not your audience or your fans.