PDA

View Full Version : Cheerful greetings from Germany

Gin-German
09-27-2013, 02:29 PM
Hello everybody, my name's Alexander, aka "Da frickin' Gin-German" or Gin for short and I've been a fan of Pen and Paper games for years now.
Started to like D&D, but due to...let's say "parental control" I could not actively delve into this matter till a few years ago. Things have changed since the 4th edition of D&D and so I sadly left it behind and swapped over to PAthfinder and the HEROES System, though I currently focus on the latter.

I am really eager to get to play here (my area has few HEROES Players) and to participate and learn from other sessions too!

Cheers and have a good time, I promise I will try to make it even better :lol:

nijineko
09-27-2013, 06:07 PM
wilkommen! ich sprechen nicht gut deutsh...

and that's about most of what i remember in german. ^^ (i speak american and japanese mostly) hope you find friends and game here. feel free to ask questions! =D

jpatterson
09-27-2013, 10:37 PM
Guten tag...? Eh, my See It and Say It In German book is failing me, but I tried. =)

Welcome to the site, good to have another international member! Hope you find things of use to you here. Feel free to also check out the chatroom here, though most people are active around 3-10 PM central US time.

TorteStone
09-28-2013, 05:00 AM
Hello Alexander and welcome to the forums! Tell us one of your gaming stories!

-Will-

ClydeBarbara
09-28-2013, 05:43 AM
Welcome aboard the forums.
Have fun and i hope you have a great time out here.

Gin-German
09-28-2013, 05:46 AM
Hello Alexander and welcome to the forums! Tell us one of your gaming stories!

-Will-

True story ;n;

jpatterson
09-28-2013, 03:25 PM
Hahaha, good answer. How did you get into gaming and what did you enjoy most, and least and where did that lead you, game-wise? Do you like playing or GMing more, or reluctant or looking for more info on one or the other, etc?

Gin-German
09-28-2013, 03:36 PM
Hahaha, good answer. How did you get into gaming and what did you enjoy most, and least and where did that lead you, game-wise? Do you like playing or GMing more, or reluctant or looking for more info on one or the other, etc?

I personally love the freedom of character creation to have the option to let your "personal hero" come to life. I personally plan to GM as I wish to give others a good experience, one that they can look for. As for gaming itself, I grew up with the Super Nintendo and Super Mario World, as well as a PC game from a FLoppy Disc called "Jill in the Jungle". I sadly grew addicted to the virtual games for quite a while, but got rid of it a few years ago.

I still enjoy games, though I tend to think of them from the position of a GM (coincidentially), thinking how immersive things is, if it's fun or who might find it fun. That lead me to Pen&Paper, which is in my opinion the best way to have the "fun" you want to. THat made me eager to learn the original D&D 3.5 which I absorbed like a sponge, just to learn after a few years of "absence" from P&P that Version 4 pretty much screwed D&D up for me. That was when I found the HEROES System and began to learn it throughly (which was kind of hard given it was written in english and me being a German) and discovered that it was universal and fit for any setting, leading me to come up with several ideas what kind of Campaign I'd like to create, of which only one stuck with me: One set in the One Piece Universe.

tl;dr: I grew up with games, learned to love D&D 3.5 and to dislike D&D 4, then found the HEROES System as a replacement and now prepare a campaign feautring the world of One Piece.

TorteStone
09-29-2013, 06:16 AM
That's terrible that you don't have any gaming stories yet! Here's to hoping you have many good ones soon! Allow me to tell one:

When I first started role-playing (In 1992) my first DM was some guy last named Zany who one of my friends knew. I had already bought my first set of dice and was ready to play! But he didn't seem to be very focused (later found out he liked the drugs more than D&D) and when ever we wanted to do something he'd look at us, then mumble "Roll a d20".

When he left the room to use the bathroom, as a group we decided to hide all of our d20s, and when next he mumbled, I replied "But I have no d20s!" He freaked out a little when none of us had a d20, and sort of wandered off. Thus began my stint as DM...

-Will-

Gin-German
09-29-2013, 08:01 AM
...and when ever we wanted to do something he'd look at us, then mumble "Roll a d20".

When he left the room to use the bathroom, as a group we decided to hide all of our d20s, and when next he mumbled, I replied "But I have no d20s!" He freaked out a little when none of us had a d20, and sort of wandered off. Thus began my stint as DM...

Torte, that was pure brilliance! You surely had a very cool time, but my parents...eeeh, let's say they used to be quite hysterical. I mean the day I told them about LARP they forbid me to visit this place "where satanists get their recruits" from. They just saw a guy with a black leather coat ONCE and never again. Now think what they said about D&D :/

But eh, there ain't no time to sit around and weep, I make final preparations for my own scenario and cmapign right now and will post it soon in the Super-Heroic section of the forums in hopes to get some constructive criticism. Let's hope I turn out as a better DM than Zany (who really bore his name quite literally it seems)

TorteStone
09-30-2013, 04:56 AM
My parents were also very anti- D&D (they called all role-playing games Devils and Devils, and called all video games Nintendo). I had to closet game at my friends house (Where the Zany event happened and so forth) until I got Outed as a gamer. I got grounded, and they sabotaged any at my own house gaming attempts, but couldn't stop me from gaming! (Thankfully, though they still don't like gaming, I have a good relationship with my parents now, helped alot after I moved out)

-Will-

nijineko
09-30-2013, 11:43 AM
i had a slightly different experience in my early years of gaming. when i was home sick from school, my dad would hand me his comics and gaming collection, with warnings to keep them in good condition, and i would sit up at home all day reading and reading and making characters until my eyes hurt too much to keep them open. ^^ (i eventually inherited most of his original gaming stuff)

after i had found some gaming groups, my mom eventually became worried that i was becoming obsessed and would go down some of the same poor path-choices that my father had made (with his various friends and buddies - some of whom he gamed with, and they were some really crappy choices... so it was a valid concern).... therefore, we sat down and talked about it openly. she expressed her concerns and presented her understandings and observations, i expressed my feelings and presented my counter points and what facts i had. at the end of our discussion, i volunteered to demonstrate both that i cared about and respected her point of view and that i wasn't obsessed by giving up gaming for a few years, after which we could talk again and renegotiate if i was still interested in it. which is exactly what we did. (i didn't have a gaming group at the time, cause i couldn't find people i was willing to game with, so it wasn't that big a deal for me to quit for a year or two. )

in fact, my very first gaming group was an all-christian group: the dm was an elder and most of the rest of the gaming group were deacons, teachers, and priests. ^^ which came in handy for that discussion as i was able to demonstrate that we stayed away from and would not game with people who were 'into' spellcasting and demonology and so forth in real life, nor did we play such styles in-game.

in any case, here i am, over 25 years later, gaming strong (and, btw, still religiously strong of my own will and choice, which continues to make the mom happy. =D ) hooray for parents that research and study and then foster open discussion before deciding on something! ^^ and for the record, over the years we have continued to discuss it, and she has come to acknowledge that it is possible for gaming to result in positive things, depending on who one games with, and how such games are conducted; despite the real (i've seen them too) evidences she has had demonstrated (more than once, unfortunately) to her of people who go overboard into the deep end of... something.