PDA

View Full Version : Fight!

TorteStone
09-20-2013, 05:26 AM
Hello all!

One thing I enjoy doing is the "Roll" part of roleplaying, and when I get into a new system I try to grab one of my buddies for a combat simulation. I find it helps me to learn the rules, and also try out obscure rules (Overrun? How does it work?) and also wacky class ideas (Time for the Human who gains a level in every class in the PHB, can such a mixed class guy hang? What tier is he?) For this I came up with the idea of Fight!

Fight! is a D&D (or other system really) minus the campaign part. Each person makes a character, then you take turns fighting an encounter (Many times a monster of like CR on an empty field). If even one party member survives, the whole group is revived (with no penalty) to full hp/pp/etc and get the average xp/gp. Every takes a moment to level and buy supplies as needed, then start another fight!

I use Fight! For those times when I'm learning a new system, days the regular DM is not available, or when I cannot get more than one other person around to game.

I wonder if anyone else does this regularly, and if you have any good stories to relate to it (Since I cannot help but add some story to it myself!)

-Will-

TorteStone
09-20-2013, 05:37 AM
I started doing Fight! with D&D minis, and as I bought more I would use them in Fight!. I had recently gotten a Cult of the Dragon mini (can't remember his exact mini name) that I decided would be a wizard focused on becoming an Elemental Savant using electricity named Jholm. He died after only a couple of rounds of Fight!, and I lost intrest and dedcided to make another character.

Grasping for a monster when it was my turn, I saw Jholm poking out from the bottom of the stack and announced "Johlm was actually a part of a cult- called the Johlms (Master Storyteller idea Will!). And put two of the minis on the board. After that, when I wanted my Fight! encounter to have wizard support, those pesky Johlms would show up, and my other buddy would groan!

-Will-

TorteStone
09-20-2013, 05:42 AM
I had a dry spell with no one running D&D (I was he resident DM) and so I ran a Taer Barbarian in Fight! after I found a Taer (big white monkey) in my mini set. I only had one other player available, so we played Fight till we got into epic levels, my using my ape with a magical wooden club.

When the Book of Vile Darkness came out, we started going through the Lords of the Nine- and When we fought Bel the Iron Lord, I realized that my monkey made the perfect assassain for the job!

-Will-

TorteStone
09-21-2013, 04:49 AM
After running a fun Planescape campaign full of custom magic items, Half aasimar/half ogres, and Shapechange abuse, the party wanted to really cut loose, and we tried Fight! as a campaign.

After a glut of all the cheese 3.5 can offer, the party collectivly said "Let's not play silly/crazy D&D and start to focus on story". That dedication to cheeseless play lasted 4 sessions....sigh.

-Will-

nijineko
09-21-2013, 11:10 AM
heh. i use this method as well. and occasionally we'll just do a DBZ style arena combat for fun.

TorteStone
09-23-2013, 05:08 AM
By "DBZ style arena combat" do you mean PC vs. PC?! Oh the angry Player faces you must have seen. (It's is fun to PvP!)

-Will-

TorteStone
09-23-2013, 05:11 AM
I would have to say the fist real time I would do Fight! was in 9th grade. A friend of mine and I were bored during lunch time, and so my buddy would pit his character (A 2E 1st or 2nd lv Dwarf Fighter) vs. The Psionic Handbook's Su monster. I don't think he ever beat it...

-Will-

Yohan Redde
09-23-2013, 12:48 PM
this sounds like a fun idea for PbP too. the other site I used to use (self-proclaimed weavers of myth) frowned upon this, even went so far as to take down a game i put up for this idea...

Anyways, my son (who i would run mini-campaigns for wit SW Saga Edition) and I would make a 2 man team, he would run the team and make his way down a cave to find a rare crystal, or infiltrate a hutt hideout for some loot.

I wonder how welcome this idea would be here on the site... It would be nice for me to learn some 3.5 or Modern or Dragn Age or The One Ring or... Doctor Who... or .... what else do i have lying around... :p

nijineko
09-23-2013, 04:55 PM
start up a pbp or pbc or pbem game in the game thread. =D might have some takers. ^^

i never had to deal with angry players, at least not yet, as they always knew in advance. originally we would pit characters from different game systems and do the equivalencies and conversions on the fly to see which character concepts were better done in which systems. ^^ that was fun, if math intensive.

and let me just say, from personal experience, that supers characters generally lay waste to fantasy and sci-fi characters, regardless of game system. unless you include synnibarr... then all bets are off. ^^

Yohan Redde
09-23-2013, 07:43 PM
Ha! i never could get into the supers style of games... tho I have marvel biased opinions.

I think I will post a thread for that Fight! idea. thanks to both of you for the inspiration!

TorteStone
09-26-2013, 02:57 AM
@Yohan Redde: I like the idea of mini campaign, especially to teach the next generation of gamer!

@Nijineko: Glad to hear of no-hurt-feelinged players! The cross game fight sounds interesteing too. Since I primarily played oWoD and D&D, my Players used to joke that a Werewolf would get way more attcks per round, but only 7 hp, so would lose to any D&D character!

TorteStone
09-26-2013, 03:04 AM
I did have some interesting variations for game as a competition. I did these as a demonstartion of the D&D map at a National Games Week at PUC sometime in the early 2000's.

I did the standard pre-gen 1st level cahracter PvP Royal Rumble style (Last man standing wins). I do believe we had some grumpy faces there!

Stealing outright from the Mario videogames, one time I scattered "coins" around the board, and the Fight! characters had to collect the coins, winner being the character with the most coins, of course.

I also did a co-operative competition where the pre-made PC's had to fight a big monster (I think it was a giant?) and the winners were ranked in order by how many rounds they lived.

-Will-

TorteStone
09-27-2013, 01:53 AM
One of the fun things that came out of Fight! was the land of Moronica. As i've mentioned earlier, I can't help but add some story to Fight!, and some of the monsters I would have us fight were a strange mix, like an archon and a demon fighting together, or a base creature like a drow without any allies or equipment when they usually have those things.

A friend I was playing with joked that they must be from Moronica, which in true gamer fashion lead us to begin riffing on the land of Moronica, where all monsters did stupid things due to Mind Flayers stealing all of the intelligence in the land using magic crystals. Our Fight! characters travelled through the land of Moronica for a long time after that, and we had a blast making super silly encounters.

-Will-

Yohan Redde
09-27-2013, 10:56 AM
Ha! Moronica... nice!
Thats a great way to solve that problem. We always had the issue of my son being a SUPER stardork, "Dad, why would the Rancor being fighting with the ewoks in order to kill my Sith?" or "Who would win dad, Obi-wan or Revan?" so yea, sometimes having a place for these scenarios would be an awesome thing to do , if anything to just add some funny fluff pieces to the game table.

TorteStone
09-28-2013, 04:36 AM
Good old Moronica...

One of the more interesting things about Fight! was that we could do things that are frowned at during games (Looking up and discussing the rules during play), but gave a direction for learning the rules.

I'd often add terrain from the 3.5 DMG "There's a 30 foot long berm up ahead between you and the goblins" "What's a berm?" So we would stop and I would show the berm description in the DMG.

"Well, can I charge over the berm?" So we'd look up charge, and make a ruling either of us could use later in real play.

"Can a shocker Lizard shock more in water?" We stop and all people there could look over the monster without ruining the flow of an adventure.

I learned alot from the roll-play so it didn't get in the way of my role-playing in campaigns later!

-Will-

TorteStone
09-29-2013, 05:39 AM
One of my fun recent Fight! encounters was the Tricky Wall. I put the PC's on the board and put a 60' horizontal wall with two 15' wide towers on either side of it roughly 100' away from the party.

The PC's could easily see that there was 2 Drow Warlocks on top of the towers, but after the first round I added a ? to the bottom of the initiative board and had my custom Huge sized Spider monster Abberations jump over the wall! The warlocks also had a tendancy to use their dimension door powers to hide inside the hollow towers to fast heal...Things did not go well for my Fight! crew.

-Will-

TorteStone
09-30-2013, 04:14 AM
So I mentioned the Su monster, and that germinated in the back of my head from roughly '98 to 2004 or so, when I started a good starting Fight! encounter for new characters.

In this Fight! scenario, the characters are on a dock by a ship when a crate bursts open and a gorilla bursts forth! (I got a $1 pack of zoo animals at a dollar store with an awesome gorilla that I put in my pile of D&D minis that I still use till this day.)

A simple scenario, but one that's pretty fun! When a friend of mine was teaching us Traveller, he ran a Fight! to teach us combat, and he modified it to us being in a spaceship delivering cargo when one of our crates in the holds bursts forth. Space monkey!

Just recently, as I put the beginnings on which optional/house rules to use for my upcoming BRP game, I had a friend playtest combat with me and we went back to the dock (by the way, gorillas are alot more dangerous in BRP!)

-Will-

nijineko
09-30-2013, 09:50 AM
one of the most epic and memorable fights i've ever had described to me is one that took place in a this weird series of rooms that all ended in these series of progressively smaller tubes, and a seeming lack of gravity. they were trying to find and fight a powerful magic-type who was playing peek-a-blast with them. they eventually got outside of the structure, only to discover that it was a massive iron golem controlled by the magic-type that they had been climbing around inside, and that it was falling towards the planetary surface from the outer atmosphere. the combat turned into a giant free-fall-free-for-all. ^^ nothing like an impending splat to add urgency to the combat!

TorteStone
10-03-2013, 02:52 AM
What?! That's awesome! I never did an inside the giant monster dungeon, must do this sometime...

-Will-

TorteStone
10-04-2013, 03:35 AM
One of the most funny Fight! Encounters happened when I was trying out new monsters, and started fighting the monsters of the Fiend Folio (3.? D&D). It was low CR mosters, so the scene for Fight! Was a simple 20' long ramp going up to make a hill, with the PC's at the bottom and a handfull of Skeroloths http://forgottenrealms.wikia.com/wiki/Skeroloth at the top (think small-medium sized lobster men).

The thing about Skeroloths is that when they are confronted by an even fight, they turn white and look pathetic, which requires a Will check to let you hit them (like a lame version of the Santuary spell).

However the PC's could not make the save! So the party is menacing a group of white skinned lobster men on top of a hill for all the world to see, but were too embarrased to kill them. Amid our real life laughs, we eventually just moved on to another encounter.

-Will-

TorteStone
10-06-2013, 01:32 AM
Another memorable Fight! happened when I pitted my PC and one other against a mighty imp (or was it a quasit?) in 3.5.

It couldn't hit us,and we couldn't bypass it's DR or keep up with his Fast Healing 1. So after many rounds (30 or so, to no effect), my buddy says "[Forget] this! I'm going to grapple it, then drown it in a bucket."

So ended the mighty fiend from Hell...

-Will-

tesral
10-06-2013, 12:03 PM
It couldn't hit us,and we couldn't bypass it's DR or keep up with his Fast Healing 1. So after many rounds (30 or so, to no effect), my buddy says "[Forget] this! I'm going to grapple it, then drown it in a bucket."

So ended the mighty fiend from Hell...

-Will-

b-b-b-b-b-b-b-b-b *

Yea we had and imp fight at low level. It didn't much like my warlock. That one had the calzone golem, I kid you not. I looked Mike (the DM) right in the eyes and said "Now I have to hurt you". I still owe him a hurting.

TorteStone
10-13-2013, 05:35 AM
Calzone Golem? Sounds like something they'd make in Moronica!

-Will-

tesral
10-14-2013, 03:47 PM
I later found the key he used in the Haiti relief bundle. <Voice="Terry Brooks"> Very silly. </voice>

I still need to hurt him.

TorteStone
10-15-2013, 05:01 AM
He he he!

This reminded me of the time I was running D&D 3.5 ed and my buddy wanted to bring in his little brother to play. He of course made his brother's character, a nigh unstoppable crowd killing barbarian. I say nigh unstoppable because the barbarian was eaten by a deepspawn, while the party retreated.

The deepspawn's power was that it can spit out "children" of the creatures it has eaten- I passed a note telling little bro that he had been replaced and did he want to fight the party.

He did, and when the barbarian made a beeline for big bro's character, the look he gave me soured milk!

-Will-

TorteStone
10-15-2013, 05:08 AM
I remember in a more recent playing of Fight!, we had talked of which type of (D&D 3.5) monster was the rarest, and we believed it to be the Plant type.

We started taking turns setting up the monsters, and on my turn, I ran the Fight! crew versus a plant encounter. "Not bad Will" they said.

When it got to my turn, I again ran a plant monster scenario. One of my more astute Players looked at my sheet of paper and asked "Just about how many Plant encounters you got there? To which I replied, "35" :)

Five EL4 Encounters (1,200gp)
12 Twig Blight MM2 197 Plant, Small 1/3
6 Myconid, Junior Worker MM2 155 Plant, Tiny 1/2
4 Shrieker MM 113 Plant, Medium 1
2 Myconid, Elder Worker MM2 155 Plant, Medium 2
2 Needlefolk MM2 158 Plant, Medium 2

Five EL5 Encounters (1,600gp)
9 Myconid, Junior Worker MM2 155 Plant, Tiny 1/2
2 Assassin Vine MM 20 Plant, Large 3
2 Phantom Fungus MM 207 Plant, Medium 3
2 Violet Fungus MM 113 Plant, Medium 3
2 Bloodthorn FF 23 Plant, Large (Extraplanar) 3

Five EL6 Encounters (2,000gp)
3 Assassin Vine MM 20 Plant, Large 3
2 Green Warder Mon 57 Plant, Medium 4
2 Myconid, Guard MM2 156 Plant, Medium 4
2 Vine Horror FF 185 Plant, Medium (Aquatic) 4
2 Yellow Musk Creeper FF 190 Plant, Huge 4

Five EL7 Encounters (2,600gp)
4 Phantom Fungus MM 207 Plant, Medium 3
3Green Warder Mon 57 Plant, Medium 4
3 Myconid, Guard MM2 156 Plant, Medium 4
3 Vine Horror FF 185 Plant, Medium (Aquatic) 4
3 Yellow Musk Creeper FF 190 Plant, Huge 4

Five EL8 Encounters (3,400gp)
6 Phantom Fungus MM 207 Plant, Medium 3
4 Myconid, Guard MM2 156 Plant, Medium 4
2 Myconid, Circle Leader MM2 156 Plant, Large 6
2 Shambling Mound MM 222 Plant, Large 6
2Tendriculos MM 241 Plant, Huge 6

Five EL9 Encounters (4,500gp)
3 Myconid, Circle Leader MM2 156 Plant, Large 6
3 Shambling Mound MM 222 Plant, Large 6
3 Tendriculos MM 241 Plant, Huge 6
2 Dark Tree Mon 31 (ShS 62) Plant, Huge 7
2 Myconid, Sovereign MM2 156 Plant, Large 7

Five EL10 Encounters (5,800gp)
3 Dark Tree Mon 31 (ShS 62) Plant, Huge 7
3 Myconid, Sovereign MM2 156 Plant, Large 7
2 Treant MM 244 Plant, Huge 8
1 Greenvise MM2 120 Plant, Huge 10
1 Sporebat FF 161 Plant, Medium 10

FF Fiend Folio
Mon Monster Compendium: Monsters of Faerūn
MM2 Monster Manual II
MM Monster Manual v.3.5
ShS Shining South

Somehow I managed to leave the table unbeaten!

-Will-

cplmac
10-16-2013, 09:59 AM
After consultling with the knowledgable, Tesral, for some ideas, I threw a coven of 3 Ghoul Hags at a party of 9 characters in a 2E AD&D game. They were surprised to find that some stuff that usually worked in their combats now had no effect. Then party members started to get parallized. The whole battle can be found on my P&PG blog in the "Search for the Drow" continuation of the "Lost Caverns of Tsojcanth" game.