PDA

View Full Version : Need campaign plot ideas

vader17
08-28-2013, 10:08 PM
The first RPG I played was the old MERP system. We played ourselves, my GM gave us a series of tests to place our stats and then said, "You wake up in a field." And for a year, we played ourselves in a fantasy setting. It was fun. It was a great introduction to roleplaying games. 17 years later, my girlfriend takes an online test that tells you what alignment, race, and class you would be if you were a DnD character. I got nostalgic and took it my self. Then I made my friend take it. And now I want to run my friends in a DnD 3.5 game, literally. So, the problem I'm having is I need a good idea to explain why my friends and I were pulled through to a fantasy world. I am going to use the generic setting material in the 3.5 books. I don't want to do a rip off of the old DnD cartoon, although I do want them to spend most of the time trying to figure out how to get home, but I want a real reason for them to be there. A goal. Could be an accident, a celestial big wig could need our help, or a deity. But why? Any ideas would be helpful, I'm really tired from work so if I spelled stuff wrong or don't make complete sense, I apologize.

Blydden
08-29-2013, 04:14 AM
I was just posting a thread for advice as well my self. Good news, its about something reasonably different! So, here might be some help: (also, I've never seen the D&D cartoon, I've heard of it, but not really much else)

Maybe a good idea would be to NOT explain how they got there. Weird, yes, but still. After all, the "you wake up in a field" worked like a charm, did it not? I do think, if you can't come up with anything you like better, part of the mystery of getting home might include the mystery of how everyone ended up elsewhere in the first place. :)

nijineko
08-30-2013, 10:59 AM
if you are using the default d&d setting, that would place you in greyhawk, which has a history of connections with the 'real earth', and various visits by certain individuals, as well as the 'real earth' being a part of the greyhawk cosmology in any case. (there are apparently 7 main primes which connect to each other in a chain through difficult-but-not-impossible to access means. earth and oerth are two of them.)

that should be enough for a DM to go on, and it need not be something the players know up front, as has already been suggested. i did watch the d&d cartoon, and it has a lot of usable ideas to mine, so long as you don't mind your hair poofing on you. ;D

mrken
09-13-2013, 08:20 PM
First thing that comes to mind is Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court, by Mark Twain. Or, you could go with Guardian's of the Flame, by Joel Rosenberg.

Mark Twain used the Premise that you wake up in the past, while Rosenberg used the premise that the party was brought back in time by the college professor/GM, who was a powerful wizard from the past.

nijineko
09-15-2013, 11:54 AM
...while Rosenberg used the premise that the party was brought back in time by the college professor/GM, who was a powerful wizard from the past.

i'll bet he had a habit of disappearing behind random pieces of lab equipment, too....

TorteStone
09-16-2013, 03:10 AM
I recently (perhaps 2 years ago) ran the Expedition to the Demonweb Pits http://www.amazon.com/Expedition-Demonweb-Dungeons-Dragons-Roleplaying/dp/0786940387 a D&D 3.5 product that has the City of Doors, Sigil (the base of the old Planescape campaign, portals from everywhere too everywhere abound) and the Demonweb Pits (Lloth's Plane in the Abyss that has webs that reach into many worlds, and there are four or so generic D&D worlds listed).

If you can get access to this product, you could have Lloth pull in your crew as a test before full invasion of Earth!

You could also use this product to have the party end up in a portal to Sigil, and have to traverse a series of tasks to gain access to the portal that leads home.

If you do not get access to Expedition to the Demonweb Pits the DMG has info on the Plane of Shadow, the gateway to other dimensions (including Earth).

You could steal the plot from Masters of the Universe http://www.amazon.com/Masters-Universe-25th-Anniversary-Blu-ray/dp/B0089A9VJE/ref=sr_1_1?s=movies-tv&ie=UTF8&qid=1379315209&sr=1-1&keywords=Heman+dolph and have the party encounter a standard D&D party with a Plane travel device, in a fight against an evil Lich with his own Portal device and his plans for universe domination!

Any of these ideas seem useful to you?

-Will-

TorteStone
09-21-2013, 06:13 AM
How's the campaign going? Did you figure out what you needed to run it?

-Will-