PDA

View Full Version : Romance in Role Playing?

MrFrost
08-21-2013, 05:54 AM
Hello Ladies and Gentlemen,
I wanted to bring up the topic of Romance in Role Playing. I am a fan of tastefully done romance in pen & paper games so as long as it is done correctly. I wanted to find out how do you guys and gals go about peppering romance into your campaigns so that I can compare it to how I've been doing it. I believe it adds much to the role playing experience just as it is a big part of our every day lives away from the table. Either way I'd like to hear your take and suggestions.
I tend to put bits and pieces of romance into my games as some players enjoy it more then others. I keep it light and simple since most of the time it is with common npc's. I'd like it to have a more active role in my campaigns but I am not sure on how to go about doing so. Like I said suggestions are welcome.

nijineko
08-21-2013, 11:50 AM
well, it requires the active consent and participation of all the players and the gm. after all, if half your group is on board, but the other half is not, it will cause friction any time it is more than a few comments and innuendos and takes away from the things which interest the other half.

as in real life, it should not be something that is forced, it should be something that is pursued and explored and risked.

in game terms, and in the interest of gameplay, it is not something that will take center stage very often, unless that is the point of the game in question. (high-school manga/anime romances come to mind....) after all, even if the romance is intra-party, rp-ing it means the rest of the group is more or less on the sidelines for the duration. now, if everyone finds the unfolding scene entertaining and interesting, it might work for short times, but everyone wants their turns too. it seems to work best within very small groups, or a group which really enjoys that sort of thing even when it isn't their turn.

also, i prefer FTB (http://nijineko.hubpages.com/hub/GameMasterY-GlossaryRPG) to handle things of an intimate or sexual nature.

in practice in my own games, the gm and i handled the budding romance between my character and an NPC via vapor (http://nijineko.hubpages.com/hub/GameMasterY-GlossaryRPG)-discussion, which worked out perfectly for us. That way, we didn't interfere with the other players (one of whom the GM was married to), and we could sprinkle references now and again to reinforce the sense of relationship without having to rp anything out in excessive detail.

MrFrost
08-21-2013, 01:16 PM
That's a solid outlook. I tend to allow my players all have their moments in the spot light. I do how ever find that only a few are interested in romance so I keep it short and sweet as to keep with the games pace. Should a character wish to rp more the note pad is always present.

nijineko
08-27-2013, 05:53 PM
i linked a couple of terms in my last post to my rpg glossary, i'd be interested in your feedback, if you care to take a look.

MrFrost
08-28-2013, 06:30 AM
Sure I'd be happy to

nijineko
08-28-2013, 11:18 AM
thanks. back on subject, i've noticed that the chat-based, freeform ruleset, and literary inclined rp individuals and groups seem to be the ones interested in romance as a major aspect of game play. have you ever been a part of such, or looked into such groups?

i've also noticed that there is also an unfortunate tendency towards extremism, fetishism, niche themes, divas, and control freaks among such groups and individuals. which is why i avoid most such groups myself. ymmv.

and even the ones that avoid the common traps, i personally do not feel enjoyment with unstructured forms of plot progression. i prefer to explore an existing and engaging plot rather than write my own in the middle of everyone else writing their own. if i wanted to write my own, i would write a novel. (though i am doing that, too.) ^^

VerdellMelo
08-31-2013, 04:18 AM
that would be remarkable if i also get listed in it once, it would definitly be personified appearance

TorteStone
09-01-2013, 06:30 AM
I've handled Romance in roleplaying alot of different ways, from my early teenage days (You've made love to a sweet lady? You gain a level, dude!) to my more recent days (Had two characters that we married in real life, whose characters were married. Their Player's would remark here and then "On our watch our characters are totally doing it!"). Maybe I haven't grown up much.

During Modern games, I've had the characters even brave a Hostel (As in the terrible movie) style strip club to face down a vampire's supporter.

I'm currently into making romance/sexuality much like the real world - try to make it exsist in all it's forms in the world as setting/era supports, but it is rare when it is at an uncomfortable level in public, and the party would experiance it in a "real" way (I imagine D&D style heroes like sailors in town on leave, modern characters are usually solid citizens, monsterous types like werewolves act like the Discovery channel, etc, etc).

-Will-

EG2
01-27-2015, 02:05 AM
I think a lot has to do with the group you have at the table. If you've properly screened your players from the start for a more r/p kind of campaign, it should work out fine. If participants play their characters well, the "spectators" should be entertained almost as much as the participants, despite not being directly involved. Additionally, the GM can get the "spectators" even more involved through good GMing by adding spice and drama to the mix (e.g. subtly setting things up so two or three PCs are interested in the same woman). Finally, it always pays to somehow integrate the romance into the overall story of the campaign (e.g. the woman all the PCs have been vying for turns out to be a high level spy that has played them against each other...but, secretly she truly does love one of them...) This is very important.

When done as described above, all players are involved whether directly or indirectly...and because they were screened to begin with, there should be no hack'n slashers to degenerate the campaign down to the Neanderthal levels to which they are accustomed.

Hello Ladies and Gentlemen,
I wanted to bring up the topic of Romance in Role Playing. I am a fan of tastefully done romance in pen & paper games so as long as it is done correctly. I wanted to find out how do you guys and gals go about peppering romance into your campaigns so that I can compare it to how I've been doing it. I believe it adds much to the role playing experience just as it is a big part of our every day lives away from the table. Either way I'd like to hear your take and suggestions.
I tend to put bits and pieces of romance into my games as some players enjoy it more then others. I keep it light and simple since most of the time it is with common npc's. I'd like it to have a more active role in my campaigns but I am not sure on how to go about doing so. Like I said suggestions are welcome.

tesral
01-28-2015, 02:32 PM
If your players want that sort of thing, all to the yes.

tesral
02-04-2015, 03:48 AM
I suppose I should elaborate. 3:35 AM is likely a lousy time to do it. But it never stopped me before.

First you need to define "romance". Are we taking the normal interplay of men and women seeking love? The overblown drama of a bodice ripper? Or vising the brothel for a bit?

Simple, I don't do sex. When it come to that we close the door and revisit the characters in the morning. Be it a rent a girl or a hot steamy romance with all the bells and whistles. And I game with my wife.

There is also the comfort things. My skill with role-playing asind, I'm a fatbead grognard and nothing is changing that, even my best Elven princess squeaky voice. Getting too intimate and personal is going to push the comfort zone hard. And uncomfortable people are not having fun. First and foremost gaming is about fun. I offer players romantic interests form the Pcs, I never push the issue, And I keep it light and at worst R. But bare flesh in my game often has nothing to do with sex. So that is nothing special.Offe

Offer, accomidate, keep it light and fun.

Morashitar
02-07-2015, 04:45 PM
When creating my games, I always add some romance to it. I think the key point is to know how far one can go with the group you have. Make sure everyone is comfortable with it otherwise you might not have a player returning at the next meeting.

EG2
02-19-2015, 04:39 AM
...Which gets us back to vetting and knowing your players. You might not want to turn your whole campaign into a real time Harlequin romance novel but, you don't want to go to the other end of the spectrum and truncate good role-play either. When someone says they're "not comfortable" with romance, make sure it's not a hack'n slasher just trying to sabotage anything that's NOT combat. Don't let the wrong player hold your campaign hostage. No need for the XXX crowd but, no need for the hack'n slash crowd either if you're aiming for a balanced campaign. \
When creating my games, I always add some romance to it. I think the key point is to know how far one can go with the group you have. Make sure everyone is comfortable with it otherwise you might not have a player returning at the next meeting.

Malruhn
02-19-2015, 04:58 PM
In my campaign, I add historical realism... for festivals and stuff, if you weren't the wife of a noble, odds are that you were prostituting yourself to make extra money... and this went down to young teen daughters.

For fantasy campaigns, depending on where you are located in my campaign world, lower-social-strata folks will do their best to pimp out their marriage-age daughters to adventurers with the hope that the adventurer will either marry her - or at least impregnate her so the family can pressure (blackmail) the adventurer into providing cash for the benefit of the family. Is it "nice"?? Oh, HELLS to the no! Is it historically accurate? You betcha.

I only had "romance" show up once in a campaign - a solo player rescued a slave who had some skill as a rogue/thief. She stayed around him for a while, stealing a bit of coin from various treasures, until she realized that he really WAS a nice guy - and ended up marrying him for the "stability". Neither me NOR the player intended it to go that direction, but it just felt... natural. Unfortunately, I moved soon after and the campaign ended.