PDA

View Full Version : Armorial of Ashbarex: Chapter the Second: Twice Shy



nijineko
08-15-2013, 09:40 AM
Having made all your preparations accordingly, you find yourself back outside the gate, facing back the way you just came from. The pair who first greeted you are here still, or perhaps again. They bid you farewell and good luck. The helmeted one removes his helm. Startlingly, his face is not that far a cry from his helmet, but despite his tusks and snout-ish nose, his voice is soft and deep as he rumbles quietly, "Mistress's tough, but her heart's a little girl's. Be gentle." His fellow guard punches him 'gently' on the arm, a blow which surely would have left a bruise on a weaker person.

Dax Thura
08-17-2013, 12:51 AM
Ashbarex starts off cross country in as direct a line as he can to the closest town to the East.

nijineko
08-19-2013, 10:37 AM
You retrace your path, managing to avoid getting soaked this time. Reaching the point where your original path veered from the north, you strike out into new terrain, more or less following the meandering path of the stream. There is no sign of the dragon, though you also cannot see your 'landing area' from here. The terrain ahead seems to be mostly rolling hills and gentle fields, with scattered copses of trees broken only by the more heavily treed line of the stream.


{{{Please make spot and listen checks. }}}

Dax Thura
08-19-2013, 03:24 PM
Ashbarex tries to enjoy the walk, but secretly harbors hopes that he'll spot her around every bend and over every hill.

Spot
Listen

nijineko
08-19-2013, 04:16 PM
{{{Question, how exactly are you traveling? On foot? Using magical assistance? Gliding? Something else? }}}

Dax Thura
08-20-2013, 09:04 AM
Just walking.

nijineko
08-20-2013, 11:51 AM
It takes you a while to be certain that it is not your imagination, but as the day is drawing to a close, you strongly suspect that you are being followed. You have not caught a glimpse of anyone, but there have been a series of startled animals that seems just a bit too many, especially as they are all generally rearwards of you.

Dax Thura
08-20-2013, 01:43 PM
I'll make camp in the open. I want to make it as hard for my tail to hide as I can.

nijineko
08-20-2013, 04:40 PM
You find a nice spot on the top of one of the rolling hills with some stones for seats and surfaces, while being low enough to not block the view in any direction. The cloudless skies promise a cool, if not cold, night. There are enough stones to make a fire ring, should you want one, though that would rather highlight your position far and wide. The sun slips to the horizon and the strongest stars begin to appear. There is an intermittent breeze.

Dax Thura
08-21-2013, 08:08 AM
Yes. I want a fire ring. I want to get my camp as warm as I can. Once the fire is going strong, I'll cast Invisibility as well as Mage Armor and go find out who is following me.

Move Silent
Search or Spot

nijineko
08-21-2013, 10:20 AM
With a nice strong blaze going, and plenty of extra wood at hand, you have warmed up enough to endure the encroaching chill of the evening. Glancing around, you feel a sudden twinge in your heart pulling you towards a certain direction. You descend from your hill, let your vision adjust, and begin quietly sneaking a big circle around your chosen hill. You make it about three quarters the way around, when you spot a decidedly humanoid cloaked shape huddled up behind some bushes and scruff nicely positioned to avoid being seen from the hill. Whatever that twinge was, it certainly wasn't related to this, as the figure is nowhere near the direction the twinge pulled. You are fairly confident that the figure has not seen or heard you.

Dax Thura
08-22-2013, 08:10 AM
Then Ashbarex will continue moving to try and locate the 'twinge'. Recasting invisibility if needed.

nijineko
08-27-2013, 12:19 PM
After some experimenting, you are able to determine that the 'twinge' is something that occurs whenever you are looking west, regardless of your relative position. From your recollections of the maps, that is exactly the direction where there are no trade routes; and you further recall a rather large body of water, called a lake though broad enough to be a minor sea, in that direction as well.

Dax Thura
08-27-2013, 08:51 PM
After some thought, Ashbarex decides to return to the mysterious figure. He is still Invisible with both Mage Armor and Shield active and his crossbow is leveled on the figure. He gets within easy speaking distance or stops when the figure first seems to notice him, whichever is first. "It is late. I have had a very trying day and I would like to rest. So, please, join me at my camp or make your attempt upon my life now."

How many uses of Invisibility have I used to this point? To the hooded figure (my guess is that it's Quendreda). From the hooded figure. Back to the hooded figure.

Move Silent

nijineko
08-27-2013, 09:51 PM
{{{As you were keeping silent, it took more time than normal to make your circle, pin down the twinge, think, and go back. This is your second casting of invisibility, but only by a short while. It has some duration left should you wish to make use of it. }}}

You get nearly to where you intended when a small stick breaks under you. The figure twitches and looks about. At your pronouncement, the figure jumps and nearly falls into the bush. After some frantic glancing about, the figure gathers them self together, and with a resigned slump to the shoulders, trudges up the slope to your campsite. You notice that despite the sharpness of your vision, and the movements of the figure, at no time did you get a clear look at the face.

Dax Thura
08-28-2013, 09:17 AM
I'll stay invisible while following the figure to the campsite. Trying to figure out who it is.
Int Roll
Wis or Sense Motive
Listen
Spot
Search
Once at camp. "Ok. Let's have a better look at you now." He casts Light then Detect Magic. "Let down your hood, would you?" Ashbarex says as he becomes visible again.

Assuming they are still 'friendly', he continues, "Welcome to my humble accommodations. I don't have much, but I'll share what I have if you will share why you've followed me."

nijineko
08-28-2013, 10:04 AM
The figure settles down on one of the stones near the fire. There is another small jump as you become visible, and the figure leans away slightly from the aim of the crossbow. At your request, the hood is lowered, revealing a huge mass of hair tamed with braids and ties, and a feminine face, though the details are obscured by a veil over which bright eyes look directly into yours. Between the fire and your light spell, you should be able to see through the veil better than you can, and your detection confirms that there is low level magic involved.

In response to your request, she speaks for the first time, "There is no need for the crossbow. My weapons are with my pack, back there." She waves back towards the bush. Her voice is a pure and clear contralto, sounding more like a musical instrument than a typical voice. "As for my following you, you happen to be going my way. I thought perhaps, safety in numbers, though a woman traveling alone with an unknown male may be suspect, or in danger, thus my caution." After a brief pause, "I would like to retrieve my pack, if I may.​"

Dax Thura
08-28-2013, 12:08 PM
I'm sorry. I had assumed she had brought her supplies with her. I'll roll a spot check to see if I noticed it, but if I would have seen it, I would have preferred for her to bring all of her gear with her. Weapons and all.
Spot

If I didn't note it by design: "I mean no harm to you or your reputation. I trust you will say the same of me." Ashbarex lowers his crossbow.
"Of course you may gather your things. I'll come with you, if you don't mind. You are a woman travelling alone and should not be traipsing through the wilderness in the dark alone without an escort if it can be helped." He teases.
Diplomacy

nijineko
08-29-2013, 10:21 AM
{{{she had deliberately hid her pack out of line of sight of the campfire and a distance away before approaching the bush.}}}

She thanks you and makes no trouble for you. Retrieving her pack entails a somewhat longer than anticipated, if uneventful, walk out into the dark and around a couple of hills. Given the size of her pack, and the ease with which she hoists, settles it into place, and walks back to your campsite, you estimate that she is quite a bit stronger than her first impression would imply. She also moves rather silently, perhaps even better than you.

You note that the veil seems to hide her face completely once out in the dark, hiding even the gleam of her eyes. Once back at the camp and in the light, it simply obscures details of everything below the eyes. She rests her pack on the ground near her and sits back on the same stone as before.

Dax Thura
08-29-2013, 10:21 PM
{{I am not liking that veil at all.}}

Ashbarex walks alongside the woman in silence to get her pack and return to the camp. Once back, however, "My lady, I am Ashbarex, plane jumper, world traveler, and retriever of lost children. Whom do I have the pleasure of turning my charm loose upon this night?He strikes a pose with his clawed hands on his hips and his wings flexing a bit.

nijineko
08-30-2013, 09:48 AM
She eyes you a moment before replying, "I am Moonrose..." Her mouth quirks up in an unsuccessfully suppressed lopsided smile. "Are all of your kind like that?"

Dax Thura
08-30-2013, 01:02 PM
"If by kind you mean dragon, then yes. But how could one not be vain when one is this awesome?" He teases. "However, I am not a True Dragon, though I am a scion of the blood of dragons. In truth, I have never met another really like myself. As far as I know, I am unique in all the world." He pauses a bit for effect before continuing. "Now, I will refuse to say another word until you tell me something of substance about yourself or why you are out here or you could remove the glamour and let me see what you actually look like."

nijineko
09-03-2013, 10:57 AM
She was quite amused, enjoying your banter, giggling at your posturing, but at your last comment her face falls. "I am traveling to... a certain place, where I hope to establish myself as a merchant." She looks away from you, staring into the fire. "I, I don't look like others, and I want to be judged, on my own merits and strengths... not on how I look." Her hand unconsciously brushes her veil. After a brief silence, she continues, "If that makes it impossible for us to travel together, then I will go my own way, and take my chances." Her hands clench together in her lap.

Dax Thura
09-04-2013, 09:37 AM
"Yeah. It must be difficult being different and unique. I wouldn't know anything about that myself" [Heavy Sigh] "You must have had it very hard growing up." Ashbarex pauses for sarcastic effect. "No one gets it like I do. The looks and stares, the fear and hatred, and the insults and prejudice. I have a personal hatred for those with a scholarly interest. I won't press you on it, but you might consider putting your looks to work for you. You said you hoped to become a merchant. Why not put your looks to work for you? No matter what you're selling, traders will want to talk to you as a novelty. Once you have their attention, it's easy to talk them into lower prices or higher prices as the case may be." He then leans in closer. Ashbarex's slit irises narrow and smoke leaks from his mouth, "Plus when you can do this it's easy to intimidate them when the situation requires it."

nijineko
09-04-2013, 10:35 AM
She smiles wanly as she unconsciously leans away, "I see that I am wrong to think that because one looks dangerous or striking, that the cruelty of others would be suppressed. But you sir, I think, have advantages that I do not. I doubt that anyone looking upon you would think you incapable of defending yourself, or that you are weak." She pauses and hmmms as a thought strikes her. "I was referring to painful experiences I have had... in, ah... in... suitors... who spoke pleasantly to my face but, I discovered, secretly shuddered at the thought of being wed to my face, being willing to overlook it solely for what advantages such an arrangement might have brought. I had thought it unique to women, such pain, but your words give me cause to rethink. Being so unique, you also... ah... ermmm." She stumbles to a halt over her words, flushing visibly even through the veil, clearly thinking she has possibly offended you.

Dax Thura
09-05-2013, 08:02 AM
"I have also had my heart broken and have been betrayed. It is a difficult trick to let the evil in others be their problem and not your own. It is difficult not become bitter and spiteful or timid and fearful. I have no good advice for you. I only know that neither of those were right for me. You don't know me and have no reason to believe me, but you can trust me." He gives her as sincere a smile as he can. "I hope you find your true love and feel brave enough to show the world your true self, Moonrose. If that is your real name." [Mischievous Grin] "Enough about that. Perhaps you can tell me more about this 'certain place' you are going to to become a merchant."

nijineko
09-05-2013, 02:28 PM
She sniffs and turns her head partly away, but you can see a crinkle at the corner of her eye revealing her offense to be mock. "Moonrose most certainly is my name, the one I was given at my birth, and have born ever since." After a moment, she turns back, "As to where I wish to go, have you ever heard of the Immortal Queen?​"

Dax Thura
09-05-2013, 05:23 PM
"No. I am not from here. I am sure that there are many many places, people, and legends that you know of that I could not possibly know."

nijineko
09-09-2013, 01:53 PM
"Oh. Well, her fame is supposed to have spread far and wide. She is said to live on the islands in the midst of the Saltless Sea, in a city which welcomes all who will abide their laws. It is also said that they deal in trade of many different kinds. It is there I wish to seek my opportunities.​"

Dax Thura
09-11-2013, 08:10 AM
"So, Moonrose, you're a young woman travelling alone in the mid of the night to, what I assume to be, a far off land to find her fortune doing business in the city of a legendary queen, all the while you are reticent about showing yourself. As far as I can tell, you have little in the way of inventory and, I suppose, not much in the way of coin either. Not that I'm overly interested in your coin, mind you. Do, I have a fair grasp on the situation we've been discussing?"
If she agrees that Ashbarex is on the right track or remains silent, he'll continue, "You do strike me as knowledgeable about the region, though. Perhaps you plan to try to begin with whatever you have brought as trade to set the roots of your fortune and fame. One trade after the next, building first a road to the coast, then a ship to the island. A fine story so far, eh?"
"Tell me, then, do I have your tale right so far? This is most important, because, if I do, you will not make your fame or fortune as a merchant."​

nijineko
09-11-2013, 02:05 PM
"Not too far off the mark, I must admit, though you are incorrect in one point, good sir. I have made arrangements for trade items which lie ahead, I need only arrive safely to set them in motion. Once set in motion, I will be able to obtain the fruit of my arrangements. It is not practical or safe, after all, to carry trade goods across a distance when one is expecting to be alone. Also, I differ from you in another point! There have been some who start with nearly nothing, yet make of themselves merchants, or leaders, or much else. There is no guarantee that I will be as such, but surely I may assay the attempt and discover for myself?"

Dax Thura
09-13-2013, 08:17 AM
"Oh! You prepared ahead of time? Very wise of you. You seem to have all the angles worked out. What will you be trading in? Cloth? Spirits? Livestock? And what of those you're leaving behind? How do they feel about your choice to become a merchant princess?"

nijineko
09-13-2013, 10:32 AM
"If you will permit a woman her mysteries, I should prefer to wait till I have retrieved my goods before I reveal their nature to you. Or at least until we have come to know each other better. As for my family, some have become merchants themselves, I am following in their footsteps. Should I fail in my endeavors, however, they are certain to be displeased. This is my big chance to prove my ability."

Dax Thura
09-16-2013, 02:28 PM
"You are an interesting woman." Ashbarex remarks. "Your mysteries? Well now I am a potential investor. As I said, I am not from here. However, I may be here for quite some time and it may be necessary for me to begin to replenish and even grow my funds. This.... You seem like a prime opportunity for me to get in on something on the ground floor, as the saying goes, if that is all right with you? The fates may have had us meet for a reason. Where is your next stop on your journey or do you plan on skirting all civilization as you walk to the city by the sea?"

nijineko
09-19-2013, 10:14 AM
She smiles, "There are not that many towns out this way. I had thought to travel straight for one of the sea-towns, but I am not sure that my supplies alone will cover two. Depending on if you have anything left at this end of your long journey, we may have to stop at one of the few inland towns on the way. You keep implying that you are from far away, and yet are unfamiliar with this area. How came you here in such a fashion that you know so little? Ah! You said plane-jumper? By that do you mean that you came from one of the elemental planes, or perhaps even by jammer-ship?" She seems excited by this last prospect.

Dax Thura
09-19-2013, 04:43 PM
"Neither. I was transported, somehow, from my plane to this one. It was an exhilarating experience to say the least."

nijineko
09-23-2013, 02:33 PM
She mulls this over, wrinkling her brow in thought. "Perhaps you were summoned by a Power, or by a Contractor. I do not know much about such things." After a further pause, you can hear her stomach grumble, and she turns away slightly grasping her middle, blushing rather vividly. "It, it seems that I hunger. Please forgive my rudeness," she says with an embarrassed squeak to her voice.

Dax Thura
09-24-2013, 11:50 AM
"Of course. I did lure you here with the promise of food." Ashbarex prepares the meal.

nijineko
09-25-2013, 02:42 PM
The meal and the accompanying rest pass by fairly uneventfully, except for your thoughts. The unfamiliar stars play hide and seek behind drifting clouds which begin to appear.

{{{ if there are any questions or specific lines of conversation you wish to pursue this night, please let me know so i can compose answers. if not, then events will resume in the morning when both of you awake. }}}

Dax Thura
09-28-2013, 01:58 AM
Ashbarex would like to wake early or at least before Moonrose. He'll get the fire going and then go for water once he sees that she is waking. He'll give her some time to 'put on her face'.

nijineko
09-30-2013, 03:05 PM
The morning is pleasant and cool. She wakes fairly swiftly, and is ready in surprisingly short order. You note that she slept with the veil on. She also has a customized travel utensil of cunning make. In appears to be a wooden spoon with a few tines extending forward from one side of the bowl, with a bulky shaft and metal accents. This proves to be extensible, and locks into place with the same metal accents that serve as clips. Unfolded, it proves to be offset such that it forms something like a "z". This allows her to eat without removing the veil, or revealing more of her face as she eats. Somehow, you are not surprised, though a few other thoughts cross your mind.

She eats swiftly, sharing from her pack some hard travel bread and dried fruit. She bites off one end of the tough crusted bread, and pours in some liquid to soften it. Once finished, she cleans after herself, and shoulders her pack ready to go.

Dax Thura
10-03-2013, 07:26 AM
Ashbarex will eat as well. He'll let her lead any conversation they have. After breakfast, he'll clean up the camp area in preparation of going to the nearest settlement.

nijineko
10-10-2013, 05:57 PM
She doesn't talk much, a little about the food and speculations about the weather, concentrating mostly on eating. During cleanup, she tries to help. It is apparent to you that she has the theory of how to break camp down pat, but has not had much actual practice, though she is attentive and tries to improve by quietly watching how you are doing things.

Once all is done she faces the west, ready to set out.


{{{will you be flying or walking?}}}

Dax Thura
10-16-2013, 08:20 AM
{{I can't fly yet. At least not for any significant length of time.}}
Once Ashbarex notes that she's watching him, he begins say the rhymes or phrases that help him remember what to do. You know along the vein of 'I before E except after C' or 'ROY G BIV'. "Sorry. Such things help me to keep everything straight." He gives a friendly smile and finishes cleaning up. As they travel, he continues to allow her to guide the conversation. Often, it's not what you say, but how well you listen.

nijineko
10-17-2013, 01:01 PM
Your first day of travel is mostly uneventful, small woodland creatures, a herd of oddly marked herbivores that you don't recall ever seeing before, a small pack of wolves trailing behind the herd which avoid you, and once a fairly large bird passes overhead up high. Moonrose proves to be a climb-the-next-hill sort, chatting amicably about the plants and animals you see along the way, but otherwise focused on what the next view might bring. The similarity of hills, trees, scrub, grasslands and occasional stream does not put a damper on the obvious delight she shows with each hill crested. The sun is westering before she changes subject, asking if you have any idea who it was that brought you here, or where they might be found, or what they want of you.

Dax Thura
10-22-2013, 08:28 PM
Ashbarex is inwardly amused that it took her so long to get onto this subject. "I have wracked my brain, but still have no idea. I don't even know where here is for that matter. If I could find that out, it would be a clue at least."​ He shrugs to express his helplessness.

nijineko
10-23-2013, 02:29 PM
"Well, it is somewhat hard to tell since your dragon parent shows so strongly in you, but you don't look Suloise, or Baklunish, nor Olman or Oeridian, and certainly not Flan. I also doubt Dwur, Noniz, or Hobniz - you're too tall. Unless your other parent was an Olve? In any case, I've read of many lands and places during my merchant studies, perhaps if you tell me more of where you do know, I'll recognize something?" She smiles at you hopefully.

Dax Thura
10-24-2013, 08:06 AM
"No. I mean where is here. I know where there is. I'm not from here, I'm from there."

nijineko
10-24-2013, 03:18 PM
She gets a puzzled look on her face, wrinkling her brow, as she tries to parse that. Finally she latches onto the part that makes the most sense to her. "Well, where we are is the Urn Leist Tamil, eastern-most of the Three Seas of Grass, which surround Nyr Dyv the Bottomless on the east, north, and west. Nyr Dyv is the greatest of the pure waters in all the Flanaess, which in turn is the largest of all the lands of Oerth. Does that help?"

Dax Thura
11-13-2013, 07:15 AM
"I'm sure it will in time, but I'm pretty sure that I'm not from this world at all. I think I was pulled through a dimensional gate somehow. Though, I suppose I could have been teleported to a different part of the world rather than to another plane."

Sorry it took so long to respond.

nijineko
11-15-2013, 10:27 AM
"Not from Oerth at all? From a completely different world? Well, I have read of such things, and story-singers will tell of such tales on occasion. It is difficult not feeling that you belong where you are...." She looks up at the sky, which is darkening. You note that the sky-rings to which you are accustomed are missing, and that none of the stars, neither colors nor positions, look familiar. She offers you a hidden smile, "Only a few more days now, till we sight the coast.​"

Dax Thura
11-17-2013, 08:36 AM
As they walk, Ashbarex asks, "You said this is your chance to prove yourself to your family. Tell me about them, mom, dad, siblings etc cetera. You left with their blessing or without it? Would they be looking for you? What does your family do?"

nijineko
11-18-2013, 06:19 PM
She is does not answer for a bit, and you start to wonder if she is going to, when she speaks.

"There is just my father left. Something went wrong during my birthing, and we both started dying, my mother and I. Mother insisted that the healer treat me first, and she saved my life... but my mother died in those few moments before the healer could help her. In a way, she gave her life to me. That's what Father always says. I don't have any siblings, as my father never remarried. Love-lorn he is. So tragically romantic." She heaves a big sigh.

"Father buys, sells, trades. He always seems to have some sort of plan or deal going on, usually several at once. Though, he always takes time to see me, which is pretty rare. Our place is pretty small, well, more rooms than we need for just the two of us, so it's actually kind of empty. In any case, I obviously take after Father. I know he wants me to succeed, he used to hide me nearby during some of his meetings, so that I could learn about negotiations. You might be surprised to learn how many tried to marry me off to some sibling or relative of theirs in order to secure some trade concession. Some of them were... rather blunt about my being ill-favored, and acted like they were offering him some great favor by taking me off his hands. I didn't like those lessons. No woman likes being told she is ugly, even if they don't know I'm there to hear it. " She scowls, wrinkling her forehead, and bunching up her heavy eyebrows.

"So, I'm fulfilling my heritage and destiny, I plan on bringing a big haul back to Father, to cheer him up and show him how well I've learned his teachings." She leans towards you, amusingly glancing around, as if there might be someone to overhear her even in the middle of the wilderness, and whispers, "I might even try my hand at finding him another wife to comfort him in his old age. With a big enough haul, I should be able to attract someone who won't mind his, age." She flutters her hands delighted at whatever prospect she see in her imagination.

Dax Thura
12-06-2013, 09:18 AM
"And what of your friends? Even if there were no gentlemen of note, surely you had a friend or playmate. What do they think of this adventure that you've chosen to embark upon?"

"Well, when you write home, I do hope you look upon me with favor when you make mention of me. You will make mention of me, won't you?"

nijineko
12-19-2013, 03:29 PM
She laughs at your plaintive tone, "But of course I will mention you, how could I not? And my friends are the usual mixed bag that most people have, I guess. Some for, some against, and some in-between."


{{{ how do you want to handle the next week or so? you are welcome to continue your banter and interrogations, which can be assumed to take place during the course of the week of travel ahead of you, and is quite enjoyable rp. but i don't want to leave you feeling that you are hanging or missing something, either. so just let me know what expectations, goals, and desires you have, and i will seek to accommodate. There may also be random encounters as you travel, since you are on foot. I am looking for a sense of your preferences: glossing over the week and only hitting any encounters or other significant events, or rp'ing your way through the week, or something else entirely? }}}

Dax Thura
12-20-2013, 08:57 AM
We can skip. Right now I think she is the missing daughter and I'm trying to get confirmation. I also want to help her with her family and whatnot.

nijineko
12-30-2013, 10:47 AM
You journey continues, with sporadic amiable chats, usually towards the evening. She seems well educated, and is certainly a quick study at soaking up what camp wisdom that you share. She never fails to be excited at each new vista. Her odd combination of wide-eyed ignorance, extensive training and education, and deft evasion of any detailed discussion of her friends or family strengthen your conviction that she is, in fact, the runaway daughter you've been sent to find. You can't help but feel a sense of admiration at her cheek in talking you into wherever it is she is trying to go, wondering if she has any suspicions of you and your goals. Yet you wonder that there is no mention of the bard, or of any love interest, nary the slightest hint of a mention. You also wonder how you are going to balance the three goals you are juggling, four if you count the mysterious tugging feeling which continues to draw you in the direction of your travels.

A few of days later, your journey is interrupted by an encounter with a herd of swift leaping herbivores of some kind, and the dire wolf pack following them. One or more of which trail after you for the next few nights, testing your alertness and responses. They finally seem to give up, but you are still on alert the next night when you notice that you are being trailed again, this time by a pack of two-footed 'predators'.

Dax Thura
01-10-2014, 05:17 PM
Do I think that they see us or are actually tracking us?

"My dear, we seem to have picked up some followers. Do you think that they are admirers of yours or should we try to evade them?"

nijineko
01-16-2014, 04:38 PM
{{{ oh, they are definitely tracking you, and judging from the glimpses you have gotten, you doubt any good intent. it is an even toss up between a group of bandits, or some locals who are looking to supplement their income or relieve their boredom. }}}

She tenses, then relaxes a fraction, laughing gamely, "No, I do not have any admirers, only admirers of my family's wealth, such as it is, or rather, what they think it is." She forces her self to move almost normally, continuing what she was doing when you spoke. "Is there anywhere I shouldn't look, should I continue to pretend I don't know, or should we prepare for a tussle, do you think?" Her fingers her pack.

Dax Thura
02-02-2014, 08:08 AM
To confirm, they are following our tracks?

"How about we try what I did with you? I can turn us both invisible and we could turn the tables on them. See what they are really about. If she agrees, I'll first cast Mage Armor, then Invisibility on the both of us. I'll lead us off to the side and lay in wait fo our pursuers to come closer. Not close mind you. Just closer.

nijineko
02-03-2014, 01:02 PM
{{{ which version of invis are you using on the both of you, ie: duration? }}}

She agrees, and after you crest the next hill and start down the far side, you cast your spells and slip around sideways for a bit, find a good spot and watch for a short while. There is no mistake, they are definitely following your tracks, as well as peering ahead; though they do not seem alarmed that they cannot see you just at the moment. They seem quite roughly dressed in ill-matching pieces of dirty garb, appear to all be male humans, though you still can't make up your mind about if they are simply opportunistic locals or an actual pack of thieves and brigands. They certainly seem to have no issues picking out your trail. Regardless, you do not feel they have your best interests in mind.

Dax Thura
02-08-2014, 11:30 AM
Basic Invisibility. Lasts 6 minutes. (I remember it lasting longer)

"Well that settles it. They mean to do us harm. They seem to be able to track us pretty easily, so losing them will be difficult. We could try to outdistance them, but they are already very close. We could confront them in hopes of convincing or intimidating them to leave us be. Or, finally, we could roast them where they stand." At the last, Ashbarex's voice changes tone to something more menacing and the smell of brimstone can be smelt. "Since this is your adventure, how do you want to handle them?"

nijineko
02-19-2014, 02:21 PM
"Defending ourselves is one thing... but it is quite another to give them opportunity to strike first. I would prefer neither to shed blood, nor to be victims... though the world is seldom so kind as to deliver what one wishes for the asking. Is there no way we could move from here swiftly, breaking our trail while we are not visible to them?​"

Dax Thura
02-24-2014, 11:55 AM
"I do not have that skill and the invisibility will not last long. I fear that to try that will give them the advantage. "

nijineko
02-25-2014, 02:55 PM
She thinks for a few seconds, her brow furrowed. "Then let us sneak around behind them, and take them by surprise ourselves. If they mean harm, then it is better to reduce their ability to harm us. Perhaps it will scare them off...." She unlimbers her pack, reaches in and pulls out a seriously massive warhammer, then reseats her pack and swings the hammer up to her shoulder with little sign of strain. She nods to you.

Dax Thura
02-27-2014, 02:37 PM
"I will take your lead in this. Please note that it is my preference to strike from a distance, though I am quite capable of acquitting myself in hand to hand" He waits for her to move and follows as best he can.

nijineko
03-03-2014, 09:29 AM
"Ahhh, it would be better for me to defer to your greater experience. I am well trained, but that is not the same as experienced. Let us strike from your preferred distance first, and if any approach, we shall hope my training serves me well." She sounds somewhat nervous.

Dax Thura
03-07-2014, 07:44 AM
How many of them are there?

Spot

Dax Thura
03-07-2014, 07:45 AM
Second try
Spot

nijineko
03-09-2014, 03:01 PM
You spot seven of them.

Dax Thura
03-13-2014, 11:50 AM
Active Spells:
Mage Armor - Ashbarex
Invisibility- Ashbarex, Moonrose
Shield- Ashbarex

Ashbarex finishes his preparations by casting Shield upon himself. "I'm going to move off a ways then make myself a target. If they choose to charge me, wait until after the second blast before charging in." He doesn't give her the chance to respond before he runs off. A few moments later. Boom!

Full Move away from Moonrose.
Fireball to catch the most I can Fireball

nijineko
04-06-2014, 01:18 PM
A fair number of them drop: dead, unconscious, or hiding, you are not certain. One, a lanky younger looking fellow, leaps nimbly away and goes to ground behind a bit of terrain. The leader wasn't quite as fast; you can see him sticking out partly behind a thicket patting out the flames. From the yells, you think there are about four or five still active and alert.

Dax Thura
04-07-2014, 10:28 AM
Spell Slots: 3rd 3/4; 2nd 4/6; 1st 5/7;0th 6/6

Active Spells:
Mage Armor - Ashbarex
Invisibility- Ashbarex, Moonrose
Shield- Ashbarex


The leader is the target of a Magic Missile spell. I move to try and keep the leader in my sights.
"I can keep this up for some time." Yells Ashbarex, "You can choose to come out and talk, leave me in peace, or die."

Magic Missile
Intimidate against the leader

nijineko
04-08-2014, 12:25 PM
The leader goes down, dead or unconscious... at any rate he does not reply. After a few moments, the one who went to ground the fastest pokes his hand over his cover, and waves a dirty bit of cloth... after a moment you see that it is his shirt.

"Go in peace. I thought this was a bad idea the moment glutton-face over there proposed it," he shouts.

Dax Thura
04-12-2014, 07:43 AM
"A most excellent choice." Ashbarex goes over to where he left Moonrose and in a loud whisper calls her name. If she responds he hurries off.

nijineko
04-30-2014, 03:01 PM
She hurries after you, with the occasional glance behind. After a bit, she says, "It would seem that you have understated your capabilities. Though that does make you an able protector. I am most grateful for your assistance.​"

Dax Thura
05-01-2014, 06:15 PM
"I am not potent compared to the others back home. We were just fortunate that that group was even less potent than myself." He looks to Moonrose and shrugs. "Or it could be that we all have secrets and now you know one of mine. The scales will have to be balanced somehow." He hurries away from the area in case the stragglers change their mind.

nijineko
05-08-2014, 03:34 PM
She seems to vacillate between thoughtful and anguished with the occasional look back over her shoulder. However, this does not slow her down, and her stride is swift and unhesitating. As the hours pass, you slowly begin to feel relaxation creep in - it seem that they truly have given up following you. You catch no glimpse of them or any other hunters the remainder of that day.


{{{ any special preparations for camp tonight? }}}

Dax Thura
05-09-2014, 12:09 AM
Not from me.

nijineko
05-25-2014, 04:43 PM
Over the next day, your diligence is rewarded with nothing more dangerous than various beasties: flora and fauna. You notice that the hills seem to becoming more down than up and on the following day you crest a rise to see the coast of which she previously spake. Your travels have brought you slowly and steadily closer to 'sea level', and the vista in front of you is one of a large sloping plain with occasional hills, clumps of brooding trees, and knobby outcroppings of rock, all marching down to meet the edge of the water which glistens sharply in the distance. Based on the direction of sun-travel, the northern visible edge of the water is all hazy and smeared - which after some study resolves itself to be a shore-front town of some kind and the haze is the smoke given off by the town.

Moonrose grins broadly, and indicates the distant haze, citing it as your shared destination. You estimate a day or two more of travel... three at the outside if you take it slow and easy.

Dax Thura
06-04-2014, 07:36 AM
Just moved and didn't have internet for over a week. Man was that rough.

"Then this is the time to speak honestly. If we are going to be partners then we need to be able to trust one another. As I said, I was sent to find a young woman named Cilwyrr. She ran from home and her father wants her returned. He wants to make sure she is safe. I don't feel that I have to take her back, though, if I find her well and capable of taking care of herself.
I think you are Cilwyrr. It does not matter if you are or not. I am still your business partner and you can still trust me."

nijineko
06-16-2014, 10:24 PM
She gazes at you silently for a while. "If it does not matter, then I hope you will permit me my secrets a short time longer. I hope you will trust me when I say that I have good reasons for not confirming or denying your suspicions. I assure you that I have spoken no dishonesty to you, and will reveal those secrets at a time but shortly hence. We need to retrieve my belongings and then secure a safe location, at which location, I will reveal my secrets to you." She pauses searching your face, and then says, "I offer you a token of my trust and promise" She unlimbers her pack, and rummages in it for a second, drawing out a flat bundle tied with ribbons. She unties the ribbons and draws from a packet two sealed envelopes, which she proffers to you. "Keep these safe, hidden, and unopened. Without them, we will be unable to retrieve my belongings.​"

Dax Thura
06-21-2014, 06:14 PM
Ashbarex returns her gaze. He takes the envelopes and secrets them on his person. "Ok, partner." He holds out his hand to shake and seal the deal. "I will do as you ask."
"Now that that is taken care of, I admit to being very curious about this city by the sea. Let's go take a look at it, shall we?"

nijineko
07-17-2014, 09:30 PM
you're not forgotten, i'm just figuring out what's next.

^-^

Dax Thura
10-29-2014, 12:25 PM
Ahem!

nijineko
10-29-2014, 09:46 PM
indeed. um. while you yourself were not forgotten, i had forgotten that my last placeholder post wasn't helpful to advancing the plot... *^^* my sincere apologies.

She shakes your hand, seemingly quite relieved. The two of you set off.

Over the next day the town resolves into a sprawling mess of buildings, not really a city; it looks more like three or four small towns and maybe a village or two expanded and ran into each other, leaving oddly clumped open areas. One such area seems filled with bright patches of color, a faire or bazaar, perhaps. Amongst the fields you are wandering through some cultivated, some left wild, you come across the ruins of a road looping around some hills, headed vaguely from the direction from whence the pair of you came, though more to the north judging from the sun, and leading back down towards the far side of town. It would make your travel into town a bit easier, though it would mean a slight detour from the more direct route you have been heading - roughly parallel to the coast line.

You can make out a large and well marked road on the far side of the town leading away along the coast line, and there seems to be a fair amount of smaller docks on the shore of the town, and more docks along a curved spit of land forming a partial bay where a few larger ships weigh anchor. The odd tugging you have been feeling inside of you seems to be pulling away over the water, rather than towards the town. There seems to be a decent amount of movement along the far road and around the ships. There are also many cultivated fields carved into the hills mostly on the nearer side of town, while the far side seems to be more orchards and gardens. There does not seem to be any buildings above three or four stories, no towers, and no defensible walls or fortified buildings that you can see. Wood and stone predominate. There is a brisk wind from the water, but it brings no smell of salt with it.

Dax Thura
12-28-2014, 07:50 PM
I can't believe its been this long since I've checked this site. I've had quite a lot happen, though. It will probably be after the new year before I respond. Happy New Year!

Dax Thura
12-31-2014, 06:10 AM
"We should go around so that we arrive by road. It will look so much less conspicuous." Ashbarex considers the city for a moment. He considers himself a worldly fellow and his experience tells him that, no matter how new the locale, there will be something about it that is familiar. Only time will tell if that holds true on this world as it does on his.
"So, have you made arrangements for lodging while in this magnificent burg?"

Dax Thura
06-21-2018, 07:16 PM
Can I still post here? Is anyone listening?