PDA

View Full Version : Part 1, Act 1: Scenes 1-5



Pages : [1] 2 3

Narayan
06-11-2013, 06:17 PM
http://i1345.photobucket.com/albums/p662/crowsontheskulls/World%20of%20Sion/Maps/th_CityofMasaeusDetailedFixed.png (http://s1345.photobucket.com/user/crowsontheskulls/media/World%20of%20Sion/Maps/CityofMasaeusDetailedFixed.png.html)​http://i1345.photobucket.com/albums/p662/crowsontheskulls/World%20of%20Sion/Maps/th_OverlandMapofKingdomofVulkh_zps06c08861.png (http://s1345.photobucket.com/user/crowsontheskulls/media/World%20of%20Sion/Maps/OverlandMapofKingdomofVulkh_zps06c08861.png.html)

Achetii

Achetii was enjoying the view, flying high on thermals rising from the mountains surrounding the sprawling city of Masaeus, easternmost city of the Kingdom of Vulkh. Her animal companion soared with her, always together, as Keu and common birds were dear cousins.

Her birds-eye view of the city was breathtaking, positioned beside the broad Arosis river between the peaks of the neighboring low mountains in a spot where the rising sun had an early chance to shine its rays on it. Though not the capital, it could well be with the largest population of any city in Vulkh. Close to thirty thousand people lived in that fine web of streets below.

As a bard, it was her business to know things, and Achetii had done her best to study Vulkh before she dared come near it. A dangerous realm it was, ruled by the hated enemies of her race, the Vul. Achetii took care to keep east of the river while she was aloft, because any being or creature who dared to fly above the Kingdom of Vulkh (other than the Vul themselves) would be brought down by the Vulkyrie. An elite military force of seasoned Vul fighters trained in aerial combat.

Flights of Vul were known to take down Dragons, even before they were trained as Vulkyrie, so Achetii had no doubt they could deal with an interloper like herself as easily as a bat could hunt an insect. Indeed Keu were a favored delicacy for the Vul so if she wasn't careful her life would end as a tasty snack. The thought made her nervous, so Achetii decided not to linger in the air any longer where her presence would attract attention and descended towards the river.

A massive stone bridge crossed the Arosis, built by neighboring dwarves of the Torgrimm Dwarfholds who also had a town on the eastern bank known as Elibin. She would have to enter Vulkh on foot crossing the bridge with the usual crowd of travelers and merchants.

Keu were smaller winged humanoids, covered with intricate patterns of bright feathers. They had little use for clothing, as their own feathers were much better insulation, but some Keu took to wearing garments purely for their style. As a bard Achetii usually made her living attracting attention but this was not the place for that. Achetii had no illusions about how dangerous Vulkh was for a Keu.

For millenium the Vul had hunted her people to the brink of extinction. Where once they roamed the skies in flocks so massive they blotted out the sun, they were lucky now to assemble in flocks of a few dozen or less. Keu spoke of the kingdom of Vulkh like men spoke of hell, and were just as eager to avoid it, but Achetii risked it because she was on a quest to take revenge on the Vul.

The Kingdom of Vulkh was named after an albino Vul who seized power from a cruel and vainglorious king Hamza, slain by the great Land Dragon Khetsara Akular, which meant "mother terror" in the old Akhenaten language. The legend of Vulkh's rise to power two thousand years ago was well known in these lands, but Achetii knew there was much more to the story. She knew King Hamza had an heir, a son who went missing who should have inherited the crown from his father. After such a long, long time no one believed Hamza's descendents survived and the people of Vulkh had no one qualified to lead them in an uprising against the Vul. But Achetii had hope to the contrary.

Keu were revered as the best long-distance messengers on Sion. Why send a raven when a Keu could fly just as fast and carry much more? Most Keu hired themselves out as messengers at some point in their lives because they were in such high demand they earned a tidy income. Achetii was no different, and it helped her primary profession as a bard to travel as much as possible in between performances.

Some days ago Achetii was hired to carry a package from a desperate Akhenaten sage in the Kingdom of Nefer here to the city of Masaeus. She then witnessed the murder of that sage by agents of the Vul the sage warned her about called the Vulfear. A group of assassins, enforcers, informants and spies that tirelessly investigated any threats to the Vul and their king.

Her better judgement told Achetii to abandon the job and get as far away from the Vulfear as she could, but her curiosity and desire for vengeance after what the Vul did to her in the past got the better of her and she read the letter sent along with the package, addressed to someone named Purusartha. The letter said the following:
__________________________________________________ _____________________________________________

Purusartha,


I hope this letter finds you well, for I will likely be dead by the time you read this.


I know the name of the last direct descendant of King Hamza after all these years. It seems Hamza's heir, Hezek, lived out his life such a long time ago hiding in a remote mountain village beside the valley of Sammara. He took a wife and died from old age, and told no one of his true identity.


However he must have hid and buried his princely trappings before he died because they were found a hundred years later by a village goat herder named Ekiah who also happened to be Hezeks great great grandson. These items included Hezeks royal seal, a jeweled dagger, a jeweled golden crown, and a jeweled golden key.


The young goat herder had no idea what to do with such treasures so he brought them back to show to the village elders. The elders debated at great length and decided they should not keep them. Instead they would give them to a lesser king, king Djoud, of a nearby Sammaran city-state as a gift. Ekiah was sent along to do this.

King Djoud was taken aback by the gifts the villagers had for him. Those few treasures could pay to feed his city and the surrounding province for at least a year. "How did you come by these?!" He asked Ekiah, who explained that they were buried near the village behind his family's home where they kept their goats.


King Djoud was intrigued by the mystery of the buried treasure and he questioned Ekiah at length about his family and his village but of course no explanation about the buried treasure was forthcoming. The only clue Djoud had about who might have buried it was Ekiah's statement about his great-great-grandfather being a stranger from a foreign land.


Djoud took a liking to Ekiah because he had no heirs and insisted that he stay with him at his palace for a while longer as his guest. In the meantime Djoud inspected the treasures more carefully concentrating on the royal seal. The kingdom of Summara was overthrown a hundred years before by the Vul, but Djoud believed the seal might have belonged to one of its nobles.


He made inquiries about Summara and came to the conclusion that his guess was right. He even uncovered the rumor about Hamza's heir, Hezek, going missing during the coup and confirmed the seal belonged to him. And that made him wonder about Ekiah. Djoud was very excited about the possibility that this simple goat herding boy might be the lost-heir to a much larger and wealthier kingdom then his own.


But Djoud had erred when he started asking such specific questions about Summara and King Hamza's lost heir. Word was on its way to the Vulfear, but in the meantime Djoud had no idea what sort of danger he was in. He was drunk on the possibilities of wealth and power Ekiah might be entitled too.


He intended to adopted Ekiah as his heir as soon as possible, sending invitations to the other lesser kings of the valley of Sammara to attend the ceremony. It occurred within a fortnight, a grand event which confused the other kings. Why was Djoud so happy adopting a goat herder as his heir?


Afterwards however, Djoud gathered the other kings together in a secret meeting and informed them of his secret plan to reclaim the Summaran region for himself in the name of his adopted son, who was the true heir to the Summaran throne. He asked for their support, and suggested an alliance, because a war with the Vul would endanger them all.


However, even as the other kings pondered what to do, it was already too late. The Vulfear had already infiltrated Djoud's palace and sprang upon the kings, just as a flight of Vulkyries descended from the night sky like nightmares setting the city aflame and distracting the palace guards.


As heir to Djoud's throne, Ekiah was supposed to defend the city, but it was not in his heart to do so. He knew now why king Djoud had shown him such kindness. It was the same reason all these innocent people would die, for the sake of greed.


A greed that he wanted no part of. He knew the best thing to do for these people would be to go into hiding just as his great-great grandfather had done. The Vulfear would never stop tracking him and they would kill anyone he was known to associate with. To protect everyone he cared for meant he had to disappear. So Ekiah left through a hidden passage, taking his inheritance, his great-great grandfathers treasures with him.


Nothing else about Ekiah's life is known, but he had many descendants and most of them were known to be shrewd about keeping a low profile. Not all of them did however, and over the centuries many were killed by the Vulfear. My own inquiries about them have also doomed me, but the Vulfear were not the only ones listening and following my progress.


Another of Hezeks descendents found me last night and brought me Hezeks treasures. He told me the Vulfear were near and that he must send the treasures someplace they would never expect, the Kingdom of Vulkh itself. I tried to explain who I was, who we are, but there was no time. I hope he did not let himself be captured alive.

He told me the true heirs name was Asher Caldarus, a sky half-dragon, who is already on his way to Masaeus as I write this. It seems Asher was secretly being groomed and trained to lead an uprising without any idea of his true destiny.


Amazing isn't it that the descendents of Hezek have been hiding all this time without any knowledge of us? And yet, have still had the same plans and goals as we have! It is a shame our first meeting took so very long to transpire. I pray it will not be the last. But that depends on you, you must find Asher Caldarus and give him these treasures. He is the only one who can use them to destroy the Vul and free the Summaran people!
__________________________________________________ _____________________________________________

Narayan
06-11-2013, 11:15 PM
Sauel Coran

As the rays of the rising sun bathed the city of Masaeus Sauel Coran was already making his way down from the stony cave he used for shelter last night. Even miles away, on the eastern side of the Arosis river, Sauels extraordinary lupine sense of smell could detect the great congealed population of many thousands of people living in cramped proximity.

As a druid, Sauel had no desire to explore human cities. His place was out here among the trees and stones of nature. As a werewolf however, he had to be careful not to be too conspicuous. A stranger all alone out on the fringes of society would attract more notice than just another traveler in the crowd trying to enter the city.

Sauel still wasn't sure venturing into the Kingdom of Vulkh was a good idea. But his adopted werewolf clan, a weeks travel further east, sent him here on an important errand. He was to deliver a small package to a man in Masaeus named Purusartha.

Sauel had no idea what was in the package, but the leader of his clan, the Alpha, bid him do it and so he would. "Come along Rabi." Sauel said to his animal companion, a young salt-and-pepper-gray wolf who lingered by the cave sniffing the air. Rabi whined loudly and Sauel said, "Yes I know, I don't like it any more than you do. But its either you come along or stay here, and I know you'd hate leaving my side even more than the city itself."

It looked likely that the great stone bridge he had to cross belonged to the Dwarves on this side of the river. As he neared the dwarven town he had to pass through to reach the bridge he knelt down and affixed a leash-and-collar around Rabi's neck prompting more complaints.

"Don't whine about it. You know its necessary. People fear wolves and they don't expect anyone would tame one as a pet. Even assuming they trust your tamed, there's no way people would allow any wolf to walk the same streets as their children without a leash."

"That's a fine pet!" Someone nearby said loudly startling Sauel and Rabi both. ~How did he get so close without being detected!~ Sauel asked himself turning towards the sound of the voice unconsciously reaching for his scimitar.

"Sorry, didn't mean to startle you. I guess I was downwind I wasn't paying attention." The man said pushing off the rock he was leaning on and stepping out of the shadows.

Sauel narrowed his gaze to get a better look at the man as Rabi whined and growled softly in his throat. He was Akhenaten, a couple inches shy of six feet in sandals, with long unkempt graying hair hanging over his face in long bangs, meeting with a thick grey beard around his jaw. He seemed rather spry for someone in their late forties and the heavy compound bow he carried on his back seemed to indicate he had some strength left in his aging limbs as well.

"Who are you?" Sauel asked tightening his grip around the hilt of his scimitar at his hip while his other hand gripped Rabi's collar ready to hold him back, or release him, he wasn't sure yet.

"I believe you have something for me." The man said stepping even closer. Close enough to smell... no fear. His common desert garb was well worn, torn full of holes from years among the rocks and thorny desert shrubs.

"You? You're Pur..." Sauel started to say.

"I am he." Purusartha said, interrupting Sauel as if he didn't want to have his name uttered aloud. Purusartha kept his hands open and at his sides in a non-threatening fashion, stepping close and smiling at Rabi, who still growled softly until Purusartha offered a hand for the young wolf to sniff. Sauel released his grip on his collar and petted his head calmly.

"Sorry. He's a bit young and unused to strangers." Sauel apologized.

"Well it's good to be wary around here." Purusartha said with a flick of his eyebrows and a wide grin revealing missing teeth. His skin was deeply tanned and leathered in the way that only many years beneath the sun would do. His eyes were also strange, one being a different shade and color than the other.

"I wasn't expecting to meet you out here. I thought I was supposed to meet you at a tavern, the..." Sauel started to say before the old man interrupted him again.

"I wasn't sure they would let you in the city with your pet."

"How did you know I would be bringing a pet?" Sauel asked.

"The same way I knew I was downwind of you." Purusartha said matter-of-factly with a little wink. "I observed."

Sauel nodded and cleared his throat. "Well I suppose you'll be wanting this..." He said shrugging out of his pack.

"And what is it that I am expecting?" Purusartha asked. Sauel paused.

"Don't you know?" Sauel asked.

"Why don't you just tell me?" The old man said smiling again disarmingly.

"Err, well I don't know exactly. I didn't open it. It's just a small package." Saul answered.

"Oh, well who gave it to you?" Purusartha asked.

Sauel frowned. ~What is with this guy? He's asking weird questions. He should know who the Alpha is if he's expecting a package from him. But maybe he doesn't know? Should I tell him? I'm not supposed to reveal clan members names to non-weres.~

"It's ok, I just want to make sure its from who I think it is." Purusartha chuckled.

"And that is?" Sauel asked. Purusartha's smile dropped slightly.

"Look kid, no need to get smart." The old man said.

"I meant no offense, but its a fair question." Sauel replied.

"I asked you first." Purusartha said.

"Now your the one being smart." Sauel said. "I came a long way to bring you something. Now its just a simple question between giving it to you, or walking away. Your choice."

"I'm pretty sure it was the Alpha that gave you something for me." Purusartha said.

~He knows what an Alpha is! Does that mean he knows what I am?~ Sauel asked himself suddenly feeling a bit nervous.

"I've never heard of someone by that name. I'm sorry I guess you aren't who I thought you were. I'll be going now." Sauel said backing up a step pulling Rabi back with him. ~I don't think I'm doing the wrong thing. Security is the first priority, is what the Alpha always says.~

"That's ok, I suppose I didn't need to ask." Purusartha said raising his hand as if in apology.

~Eh? What is that supposed to mean?~ Sauel asked himself starting to turning away when the old man added.

"...because I already got it."

Sauel stopped moving as if he was suddenly paralyzed. Rabi, sensing his tenseness started to growl again. ~Got it? Got what? I didn't give him anything!~ Sauel thought to himself his mind racing. He turned back to look at Purusartha and the old man was holding a familiar looking package. The same package the alpha gave him over a week ago. ~How the hell?!~

"You didn't do so bad. I've seen worse. Not every young pup has the smarts to avoid direct questions about the pack. Here's a piece of advice for you though. Stuff things you don't want stolen in your shirt at night, never in your pack. That's the first place someone would look. I suppose you never imagined anyone would get close enough to rifle through your stuff though. Especially not with your pet lying beside you." Purusartha said chuckling.

~Of course! That's why Rabi was sniffing the air and whining this morning! And that's why he started growling at Purusartha when we met him. He recognized his scent!~ Sauel thought to himself.

"So this was a test?!" Sauel asked, feeling a bit sheepish.

"Of course it was. Everything is a test. Life is a test. Especially for werewolves like you and me."

"Your a werewolf?... I didn't sense you at all..." Sauel said.

"And that is another lesson. Expect the unexpected. You will learn. I will teach you." Purusartha said smiling.

"I wasn't told I was coming here to learn anything?" Sauel said a bit confused.

"And that is another lesson. Everyday there is something new to learn. Often when we aren't prepared for it."

"But who gives you the authority to tell me anything? The alpha did not say you were my superior, or even a friend of the pack."

"Am I your superior?" Purusartha asked with a raise of his brow.

"I... guess so..." Sauel said meekly.

"And why is that?"

"Because you are older than me, wiser, more powerful, etc."

"Good. That is good. You are able see things as they are. And not what you expect them to be. Earlier, when you first saw me I could see you were ready to dismiss me as a strange old hermit of no consequence. Even though, moments earlier, I could have stuck half a dozen arrows in you before you even knew I was there. Trust nothing, especially your own eyes, and always be on your guard." Purusartha said.

"And last night I suppose you could have killed me then too..." Sauel said feeling a weight in his stomach.

"As easily as someone could smother a sleeping infant." Purusartha said grinning. "But lets not dwell on that. Why don't we open this little package from our mutual friend and see why he sent you here? Here, I'll let you." Purusartha said stepping close once again and handing it to him.

Sauel took it but paused a moment to examine the ties and wrappings to be sure they were undisturbed. They were not.

"Can you tell me why I didn't open it?" Purusartha asked Sauel.

"So that I would know you didn't open it."

"And why would I do that?"

"So I would trust you."

"Do you trust me?"

"Not really no..."

"And does this package change anything in that regard opened or not?"

"I don't know. I haven't opened the package yet..."

"Ah... so now you see. I expect something in this package will help you trust me. Which is why I didn't open it."

Sauel nodded and opened the package. Inside the leather wrappings was something wrapped in folded parchment sealed with a waxen seal. On the seal was the mark of the Alpha of his pack. It was undamaged.

Purusartha commented. "You won't see a seal like that too often so let me explain. It's wax yes, but its mixed with the Alpha's essence. Sniff it for yourself."

Sauel did as he was bid and sure enough he detected the strong scent of the Alpha's blood from the little package.

"We do that to be sure its not a fake. Now open it."

Sauel did so, and unwrapped the parchment revealing a medallion.

"Let me see that please." Purusartha said taking it in his fingers. Carefully he lifted it off the parchment so gingerly that Sauel found himself staring at the medallion mesmerized.

"It's not the medallion you should be looking at young pup. It's the bit of fur the Alpha put underneath it." Purusartha said smiling. And sure enough, there was a tiny tuft of black wolfs fur, the same type the Alpha had on the parchment. "That's another trick you can do to add a secret meaning to a message." Purusartha said. "And now for the final test...." The old man said holding the medallion in his hands examining it in such a way that Sauel could not see. "What is your name?"

~What's this? Another test? Why is he asking?~ Sauel thought to himself wracking his brain.

"My name is Sauel Coran."

Purusartha nodded and held the medallion up for Sauel to see. It was rather plain, carved from bone with a wolf's head on one side and a name carved on the other. It looked like his name.

"Is this your name carved in the back?" He asked.

"Yes.... wait... err, no, it's misspelled. But yes that's my name."

"No would be the correct answer. Do you really think the Alpha went through all this trouble and couldn't spell your name correctly? He obviously misspelled it on purpose."

"But why?" Sauel asked.

"Plausible deniability. You can't be forced to admit a name is your name if it's misspelled, even through magical means. And if you hadn't noticed your name was misspelled at all, you could easily be an imposter."

"But how did you know it was misspelled?" Sauel asked, then added. "...The fur!"

"That's right. So now that we know that you are who you say you are, shall we read what the message says?" Sauel nodded.

__________________________________________________ _____________________________________________

Sawel Coran,

I adopted you into my pack and raised you for many moons. But now the time has come for you to prove yourself worthy of us.

From this day forth you will follow this man like a shadow. This means, you will do whatever he asks of you, and learn whatever you can from him, so long as he holds this medallion. The day you can take that medallion from him and bring it back to me is the day that he has nothing more to teach you, and the day you are ready to return to this pack.
__________________________________________________ _____________________________________________

Narayan
06-12-2013, 01:47 AM
Yorick

"There it is." Astaroth the Angul said as they crested a rise in the road and the city of Masaeus finally came into view as a pool of fiery lights beneath the starry night.

"It's big." Yorick said, raising his nose unconsciously to sniff the breeze a bit.

"Stop that!" Astaroth cursed reaching for his scourge. Yorick instantly crouched into a defense posture and growled. Shackled or not, he was not going to abide another scourging. Astaroth merely laughed.

"I've told you a thousand times since I sprang you from that pit, no sniffing! People catch you doing that and a scourging will be the least of your problems trust me."

"But there's no one around." Yorick said. To which Astaroth replied.

"Don't make no difference. It's not a habit you can afford to have. Not until I turn you over to your buyer. Then you can do as much sniffing as you like and get yourself burned alive for all I care. But get yourself caught before then, and I'll make sure you die before I do. That's a promise, and I keep my promises." Astaroth said with a wicked smile, revealing teeth sharpened in the Angul fashion, designed for gnawing on humanoid flesh which was their prefered diet.

Angul eyes were also eerily devoid of black pupils which always raised the hackles on Yorick's neck. Those eyes were so alien, so inhuman, they haunted his dreams. How many years now had he watched so many of those eyes watching him? How many years had he heard their sickening, perverse voices screaming for blood and cruelty? How many years had he obeyed them. Killed for them. How many other pairs of eyes more like his had he dulled with death? How many?

"Hey! Snap out of it you ignorant brute!" Astaroth said yanking on the chain holding Yoricks shackles. "You don't rest until I say you rest!" But then, after a moment looking around Astaroth added. "...I suppose this is as good a place as any to camp for the night. We'll approach Masaeus in the morning when we're not so weary and the guards are not inclined to be grouchy being bothered in the middle of the night."

Astaroth led Yorick away from the road a ways to a shallow depression in the earth beside some stones. "Lay there! Face down! Don't move!" Astaroth ordered pointing at the hollow. After Yorick obeyed Astaroth began attaching little metal bells to the links of his chain laying it out to its full length of eight feet. "Ok, get comfortable." Astaroth said as he did the same.

Yorick rolled over again, wriggling a bit to avoid the worst of the lumps in the ground, and as he moved the bells tinkled.

"Good. Now be quiet, and don't move, or I'll come over there and club your skull until you do." Astaroth said point-of-factly. "You know I will, cause you'll just heal up again." He muttered.

Before long, Astaroth's regular breathing had become soft snoring but sleep would not come so easily to Yorick. Tomorrow would be the start of a whole new life to another master. A human master, and that made all the difference to Yorick. He hated the Angul with a passion that ached inside his bones. He wanted to kill them all, Astaroth most of all.

It was Astaroth that originally captured him, his mark was still burned into the side of his neck because it was put there before he manifested his powers as a natural born werewolf. Yorick had no idea how long ago that was, but he was just a boy then, whereas for a few years now he had stopped sprouting taller and growing into a man.

Astaroth had told him once that he was Ahuran. A northerner from the frozen land of Ahura across the icy sea. He did not explain much about his people beyond that except that they had the same ancestors, before his people were imbued with the blood of the otherworldly being named Angul which made them stronger, fiercer and capable of healing themselves eating humanoid flesh. He said the Angul were destined to feed on all the Ahurans someday, as the price for disrespecting their creator.

Yorick remembered little about his childhood before he was captured. He vaguely remembered having parents, siblings, and friends, but he didn't like to think about them much because he watched most of them die at the hands and teeth of his captors, or worse, be kept in the pit together to eventually kill each other for their captors amusement.

The night Yorick ought to have died, when he had no strength left and his mind and body were wracked with pain from a dire sickness, was the night the full moon suddenly manifested his powers. It was the wolf inside him that brought him back from the brink of eternal night. The wolf who wanted to live and howl at the moon. The wolf within who gave him strength to live all these years. The wolf within who was his only friend and companion.

Yorick became Astaroth's prized slave after that night. Werewolves, or Wolf-men, as the Angul called them, were a rare specimen to catch alive. Usually they could only catch them when they were children, but there was no way of knowing what they were until they changed for the first time. Yorick wondered sometimes if it was likely that his siblings, and friends, were also wolf-men. How unfortunate for them that they did not live long enough to change as he did. For his powers were the only thing the Angul valued about him. The only reason they kept him alive.

So why now, was Astaroth selling him? Why did he break him out of his cell in the pit of the arena and kill other Anguls to help him escape? Yorick could not fathom what Astaroth was thinking. He would be hunted now, by other Anguls, and that was no good for either of them. Yorick wished he could shift into his wolf form at this moment, the shackles would slide off easily then, and he could slink over nice and quiet to where Astaroth was sleeping and rip his throat out. But that was impossible so long as Astaroth's kept his iron collar locked around his neck with its sharpened silver-plated spikes, designed to strangle and fatally wound him if shapechanged.

Tomorrow. Yorick reminded himself. The collar comes off tomorrow. And then finally he slept.

Narayan
06-13-2013, 02:16 AM
Asher Caldarus


Asher Caldarus had an alluring inhuman charisma about him. He was lithe and tall, with striking silver hair framing a young, handsome face with intelligent, crystal blue eyes. His dark horns were probably his most striking feature, but there were also translucent silver-blue scales under his eyes with patches elsewhere on his body marking him as a half dragon.

Asher knew he was a descendent of King Hamza, and that made the vulture-like usurpers of his throne his sworn enemies. But there were other things he did not know, things he needed to learn, which is why he was appoaching the borders of the Kingdom of Vulkh, previously the Kingdom of Summara, which it would be again if he had his way.

Asher had an aura of confidence and determination about him, but not arrogance. He was a prince yes, but not the sort of foppish prince that spent his days in pampered luxury. He was an exiled prince, a hunted exiled prince, and no one ever put a silver spoon in his mouth.

Asher was born in a remote high mountain stronghold that belonged to his sky-dragon mother, Marasistha Highbryll. Asher never met his father, Marasistha said he died, but when he was old enough she explained that he was killed by the Vulfear, who would never cease in their search to find and kill him too.

Marasistha grieved his fathers death but she told him that it was his responsibility to avenge him. "I cannot fight this battle for you." She said before he left. "The Vul already killed one dragon who attacked them for the sake of her child. It's likely the same would happen to me, and then I would really be no help to you. At least while I live you always have a refuge up here on this mountain." She added.

But Asher had no interest in living out his life in hiding, nor under the protection of others. He prided himself on his self reliance, which is why he spent so many days and nights fending for hiself in the wilds of Akhenaten learning the skills of a Ranger. But he also learned all he could about being a Rogue, and he was just as capable fending for himself in city streets. Skills that would serve him well gathering information and infiltrating the cities of Vulkh.

The first city he had to investigate was Masaeus. It may not be the capital of Vulkh or the seat of the current Vul monarch, King Vulperion, but it had the largest population and the most powerful human merchant-lord, baron Zomok. A man who might be Ashers strongest ally against the Vul, if he could turn him.

But that was a far-fetched plan at the moment. For now, he had to learn as much as he could about Vulkh at the street level, in amongst the commoners and slaves. He had to get a pulse for what they needed, what they wanted, and figure out a way to use their desires to help him help them.

It was the start of a dangerous endeavor to be sure, but Asher knew this was his destiny.

Narayan
06-15-2013, 01:56 AM
http://i1345.photobucket.com/albums/p662/crowsontheskulls/World%20of%20Sion/Places/th_OverheadmapCityofMasaeusBW.jpg (http://s1345.photobucket.com/user/crowsontheskulls/media/World%20of%20Sion/Places/OverheadmapCityofMasaeusBW.jpg.html)http://i1345.photobucket.com/albums/p662/crowsontheskulls/World%20of%20Sion/Maps/th_OverlandMapofKingdomofVulkh_zps06c08861.png (http://s1345.photobucket.com/user/crowsontheskulls/media/World%20of%20Sion/Maps/OverlandMapofKingdomofVulkh_zps06c08861.png.html)

Continent of Akhenaten - Kingdom of Vulkh - 500th year of the 3rd age
Morning of April 9th

(Achetii, Asher, Sauel)

As usual every morning, Torgrimms Dwarfbridge is crowded with every manner of merchant and traveler trying to cross the Arosis River into, or out of, the great city of Masaeus. Gateway to the east and largest city in Vulkh, ruled by Baron Zomok, the most powerful merchant-lord in the kingdom.

The bridge is guarded laxely on the eastern side of the river by dwarven sentries operating out of a stout tower-and-guardhouse. The tower is fit for a dozen or so sentries, with room for stores and shelter for their hardy war ponies. There is no actual gate at this side of the bridge, but there is a very heavy iron chain pulled across the way at sundown. Each dawn, the dwarves remove the chain opening the way for merchant traffic and begin collecting toll. There is a sign posted with the toll costs in dwarven and common.

10gp per ladden cart
5gp per unladden cart
1gp per ladden pack animal
1sp per horse or unladden pack animal
1cp per person. (Children are free)
No cost for small pets. (Larger pets at sentries discretion)
NO REFUNDS!

The dwarves seem less concerned with foot traffic as they are cart traffic. There are six sentries out on watch at sunup regulating bridge traffic. Two pairs stand at either side of the bridge entrance, and another two attend the toll booth off to one side. The toll booth is of sturdy make, designed to handle foul weather and keep the toll collectors in the shade but is otherwise very plain.

The toll collectors focus on speaking with and collecting toll from the merchants while the other pairs of sentries handle horse and foot traffic. They don't bother to speak to the travelers unless they are asked a question and do not personally take the toll either. Instead they stand by three metal buckets with a slot in the top held up by a metal stand. One for copper, one for silver, and one for gold. The buckets appear quite plain, but they are actually magically enchanted. If someone drops in a false coin, or the wrong type of coin, the bucket will glow and sound an alarm. That is why the sentries appear so lax because the biggest part of their job is handled by the magic buckets.

The dwarves here are not so concerned with questioning suspicious looking characters either. It isn't their job to keep undesireables out of Masaeus, so they don't bother to stop or question anyone as long as their coin drops in the bucket with the usual tink. Thus, none of you have any trouble on the eastern side of the bridge. (Each of you please subtract 1cp for the toll)

The bridge itself is a wonder of engineering. Giants couldn't conceivably fit and carry blocks of stone this massive, but somehow dwarves managed it. The bridge is wide enough for three lines of wagons to pass abreadst without trouble, and high enough above the river for a masted ship to pass beneath. The Arosis river itself is almost a quarter mile wide, with a deep strong current that makes swimming it a risky proposition. Those who try, will at best be carried downstream a good ways away from where they intended to land, and usually drown.

At the other side of the bridge is where things get hairier. An impressive stone keep rises from the rocky outcropping of the western shore beside the bridge, with two gatehouses extendeding from it across the bridge. From its lofty rampart heights, beneath the fluttering flags of Vulkh, you spot two Vulkyries scanning the faces in the crowd with eagle-like eyes. It seems easy to imagine how easily the portcollis' in these gatehouses could be dropped on the bridge trapping you between them like rats in a trap. However, since you don't fit the profile of a wanted fugitive or make a scene, the Vulkyries might as well be statues and the portcollis' remain up.

From the bridge itself you have a breathtaking view of Arosis bay, with its many flat-bottomed river barges and ships busy with morning commerce along with a veritable flotilla of fishing boats. The water in the bay is deep crystal blue, constantly moving in a current pulled by the river, which makes it much cleaner and fresher than you might expect beside a huge city. Rumor has it there are dangerous creatures beneath these glassy waters that feed on fishermen as much as the fishermen feed on fish.

Beside the busy docks are natural cliffs that hold the city above the bay and form a natural defense as good as any wall. The cliffs are riddled with caves, several of which have been tunneled out into mines. Rumor is, the whole city sits atop an even more massive underground network of caverns. Though, rumor also says these caverns are far more dangerous than the city streets above.

Atop the cliffs are the homes and businesses of over thirty thousand souls, neatly set up along arrow-straight streets and beautifully flagstoned squares. Rumor has it the dwarves built this city for the Vul during the second age after the Summaran king was overthrown. It took a decade to plan its layout to exacting Vul specifications, with an inner district of towering palaces at its center from which Vul can fly to any part of the city in the shortest amount of time possible.

No time was spared laying out its streets and foundations either, so while it took a century to build, it would look nearly the same after an entire age had passed. And indeed it is true, the city is in such remarkably good condition it seems ageless. One reason this is so however, are the Laws of Vulkh, with their harsh penalties for arson and vandalism. You see these laws engraved in a massive stone tablet before the first gatehouse on the western side of the river.

http://i1345.photobucket.com/albums/p662/crowsontheskulls/World%20of%20Sion/Things/LawsofVulkh.jpg~original

After you pass through the mid-gatehouses you approach the gates to the city itself on the western bank. These gates shut at sundown and open at dawn, but there is a smaller sally-door within one of the gates that can be used by late night visitors. Two more Vulkyries watch above from these towers, and occassionally exchange a horn blow at the others you already passed beneath as some kind of all-clear signal.

Past the city gates another toll has to be paid for admittance into the city. The Vul charge three times more than the dwarves do to use their bridge. (Please subtract another 3 copper pieces for the toll into Masaeus). Large warehouses are arranged to your left where merchants can store and sort their goods. Past that is the famous slave market, but for the moment there are more important things to do than sightseeing.
__________________________________________________ ________________________________________


Intermission

(Achetii, you were told that Purusartha can be found at the Tavern of Endless Thirst. You aren't sure where that is, so you'll have to ask for directions. Just a basic gather information check. I don't have a character sheet for you yet so I can't roll anything for you. But assuming its done before the posting deadline this Sunday at midnight, you can start off by making that roll yourself.)

(Asher, you are free to do your own thing here until Achetii meets Purusartha and gives him the information he needs to find you. Or perhaps, if you want to speed things up, you might try and come up with a reason to bump into him or spot him now.)

(Sauel, I didn't want to do any more rp'ing for you with Purusartha, so you can initiate more conversation with him at this point on your own if you like. He seems to be leading you somewhere, so your first question might be where that may be. Or anything else you like. Totally up to you.)

(Yorick, I failed you... I ran out of time. But I will work on your part asap tomorrow. Just fyi, you're not entering the city by way of the bridge but rather the south gate. And if you feel the urge to do some writing now, by all means write something out for Yorick waking up first thing in the morning. I would prefer you didn't speak for Astaroth, but you can get as far as you can until I have to say or do something for him. Anyway, so sorry! Your character has first priority tomorrow!
__________________________________________________ ________________________________________

Executive Spike
06-15-2013, 02:57 AM
Yorick: (sob ;-; no intro for me at first lol.) Yorick woke up from the bright sun awakening him as usual, moving around to stretch and rattling the chains and metal balls connected in the process, waking up Astaroth. ~Finally... the day I'll be free of this Angul bastard. I don't care what troubles this human has it can't be worse than being clubbed half the time in the head. He might even try to rob the poor fool if he's weak, forcing me to suffer again and again... I wonder how he'd like it if he had his skull clubbed in only for it to heal. Ah, oh well, might as well see what he knows, if any.~ "Hey Astaroth, remind me again what you know about this buyer? I'm sure you know lots since you're probably running it" Yorick said looking at the rising sun

In response to Yorick, Astaroth growled and groaned rising from his bedroll, his club already in his hand, the urge to stomp over and smash Yorick's skull again for disturbing him apparent on his face. But then he blinked a few times, glancing at the brightening sky and realized it was already dawn.

"Shut up slave! You'll meet your new master soon enough." Astaroth cursed, collecting the bells off his chain. However, before they kept walking Astaroth removed some strips of jerky and tossed a couple over to Yorick. An unexpected treat.

"Don't ever say I didn't give you anything." Astaroth laughed tearing a piece off another bit of jerky with his sharpened teeth. "Now Walk!" He urged.

After walking for a ways, enjoying the warming air and the tasty dried meat, it occurred to Yorick to wonder what sort of jerky this was? Angul slaves quickly starved if they refused to eat what they were given so in the past Yorick probably ate man-meat at one time or another. Anguls took perverse pleasure feeding slaves the meat of their dead relatives at least once.

But most of the time, the Anguls kept their stock of humanoid meat to themselves and let the slaves raise their own animals for eating. Still, if this was Astaroths personal supply of jerky it was likely man-meat. Yorick knew better than to the drop the jerky to the ground however, for that would certainly spurn a brutal beating from Astaroths club or possibly even a vicious scourging. So instead of eating it, Yorick discreetly tucked the jerky into his clothes.

As they neared Masaeus, they started to pass through the vast tilled and irrigated fields surrounding the city, fresh with the smell of newly sprouted crops. It was a deliciously new smell to Yorick, compared to the stink of his holding cell or the blood soaked earth of the gladiatorial arena. He felt his heart beating faster with joy and anticipation for a new life, far from the hated Anguls.

"Gonna miss me?" Astaroth asked walking behind him as always. "I probably wouldn't if I were you." He admitted. "Guess it probably makes no difference that I saved your life?"

~Riiiight!~ Yorick thought with no small bit of sarcasm, and did not respond. He was sure this was not a conversation he wanted to have.

"It's true." Astaroth continued. "You were not really earning me much coin as a gladiator recently. It seemed your fighting spirit was lacking and the crowds were displeased by your showmanship. I'm sure you remember I told you as much while I was scourging you? ...But perhaps you stopped caring to listen?... Anyway, the arena master told me that he'd selected you for a special exhibition fight against a dire bear. A fight you would have certainly lost, wolf-man or not... so I decided rather than watching my investment get torn to shreds I should offer you up to a new buyer.

Thats when I spoke with Saeed and made this arrangement. I brushed path's with him several years ago as we were both combing an area north of here for fresh slaves. Usually humans are so frightened of us Angul, they immediately attack us or flee. Saeed is different, a pragmatic man to the core, and he saw a potential business partner in us rather than an enemy.

We exchanged words and pleasantries rather than spear-thrusts and arrows and learned a bit about each others people. Of course, we Angul have different tastes than Akhenatens so we exchanged a few slaves that would suite our respective markets better as a token of good faith. We agreed to meet there again in two month's time to do more trading, and so we have ever since.

I know it might surprise you, slave, to think of an Angul like me being friends with a human. But it is not entirely unheard of among my people. We know we won't be feeding on all humans everywhere anytime soon. Those who live far enough away from us not to be targeted as prey can safely visit our colonies, especially if they have at least one Angul friend to escort and vouch for them.

Eventually, I invited Saeed to visit our arena and witness our gladiatorial matches, which is when he first laid eyes on you. He's asked about you ever since, because it seems wolf-men are hard to capture alive pretty much everywhere. He's left an open invitation to come to Masaeus, and promised to vouch for me as his guest so I will be permitted through the gates. When I sent word to him that I would be breaking my contract with our arena master he offered a small fortune for you. Which brings us here." Astaroth said matter-of-factly.

Yorick: "Guess I should thank both of you then. You for freeing me and him for buying me." ~If he's interested in me only because of my fights though... Not another arena.~ His face slightly turned pale at the thought of being forced to fight again to survive. "This Saeed person... mind if I ask what he usually does for work? I assume not more gladiator fights correct?"

"I already told you he's a slaver, what do you think he does for work you fool? He buys, sells and trades in slaves just as I do. Only real difference between us is that he doesn't occasionally butcher and eat one of his stock." {laughs} "And no, you should assume he owns fighting slaves, or gladiators if you prefer, for sport just as I do. Why ever did you think he had interest in you if not for your ability to fight in the arena and draw crowds?" {laugh's again} "Perhaps I have been smashing your skull a bit too often. Your wits have entirely left you... but I suppose that doesn't matter much for a gladiator. Yours is not to reason why, yours is just to fight and die."

Yorick: "Great. Was worried I'd have a change of scenery... maybe this guy'll be a better master then you and not cave in his slave's skulls." ~And maybe a little more friendly...~ "Ever think that might have been a reason why I haven't gained you much coin?"

rtcvb32
06-15-2013, 03:06 AM
Sauel felt very small and humble at seeing the magnificence of the bridge, the whole thing designed and built from the ground up to a certain level of near perfection that only dwarves could do. Sauel knew he could never compete against such works. Sauel also felt naked being so in the open. He was glad at following some of the instructions regarding money and had a separate bag full of nothing but copper pieces, trying to exchange a gold and getting Silver could be a problem and he didn't need the extra stress. Silver just burned his hands (Well not literally but it felt like it), so he avoided it whenever he could and had a pair of thin gloves to handle them in such cases if they were to come up. If his load was heavier he might have saddled up Rabi to carry some of the load, but it seems it would have gotten them more attention, or perhaps they would have blended in better, he wasn't sure.

The laws were very harsh and outright, however it promised within the walls that there was very little crime, a case where the persecuters were also the protectors. Sauel doubted he'd be the target for theft anyways, other than the scimitar on his side, everything else on him suggested he was broke.

In the bustling activity as traffic began with people coming and going they didn't stand out at all, although his companion and friend Rabi didn't enjoy at all the idea of being leashed, however with a hand on his head reassuring him he kept silent. Sauel could feel those eyes passing over him as he went between the portcollis, but apparently they were uninterested in him.

There was a sense of almost dread in the air, Sauel could smell the Vul, the scent lingering like a faint perfume and would forever permeate this place. Once inside the city he felt better not having those almost evil eyes watching.

"Where are we going? What are we doing here?"

There were other questions he likely wanted to ask, some pack related but it was not for discussing within city limits where the walls may have eyes and ears. Asking what he will be taught wouldn't be much help either. Purusartha moved with purpose likely having been here many times before; Although having a destination he wasn't going that fast.

"SSsshhhh Rabi.. Sshhh. I'm sure we won't be in the city walls for long." Sauel spoke soft gentle words to his wolf not used to being in such a place as much, although thankfully he wasn't trying to sniff at everything like other animals would.
__________________________________________________ _________________________________________________

As soon as Purusartha entered the city he produced a gnarled walking stick from somewhere beneath his rags and slowed his pace. His shoulders drooped, his knees bent and his head hung low as if he had no strength to lift it. He moved through the crowds in this fashion with seemingly aged legs, hiding his spryness and strength. Now he was just another old man of no importance.

"Be a good lad and help an old man along would you please Sauel?" He asked with smiling eyes. Then as Sauel took his hand Purusartha leaned in close and spoke more softly. "When you have a chance Sauel, try and practice your skills at subterfuge. Never give people a chance to assess your true strength if you can help it. As werewolves, we're expected to demonstrate vigor, strength and vitality. Were better off doing the opposite." He added with a wink.
__________________________________________________ _________________________________________________

asher dragoone
06-15-2013, 12:08 PM
Asher could not help but feel apprehensive about being surrounded by so many people, this was after all his first time visiting such a large city. Being surrounded by others was against his innate solitary nature, but this had to be done.

Reaching into a small coin purse he would pull out the necessary three copper that was needed to enter the city. As he paid the fee his senses were set off, he felt something familiar. Looking up he would see two statue like Vulkyrie up on the portcullis. So the Vulkyrie are here as well, this will be problematic.

Avoiding their watchful gaze was out of the question since they were obviously on alert. So he simply pulled up his cowl and strode in like he belonged.

After making his way into the city proper he would begin to look around for a pub where he might listen in on what the locals are doing and what has been happening. More importantly he would be looking for anything that may swing the merchant king to his side when the time was right.

Narayan
06-16-2013, 06:41 PM
Yorick: "Great. Was worried I'd have a change of scenery... maybe this guy'll be a better master then you and not cave in his slave's skulls." ~And maybe a little more friendly...~ "Ever think that might have been a reason why I haven't gained you much coin?"

"Oh, so you think you'd be a better gladiator if I let you spend your days lying on a featherbed while I fed you grapes and fanned you by your bedside?" {Astaroth laughed loudly} "Don't be ridiculous! You're a slave. Your life is meant to be hell. If I didn't give you reasons to be angry and hate, what sort of feelings would fuel the rage you need to survive in the arena?"

Executive Spike
06-16-2013, 06:47 PM
Yorick: "Yeah well if it wasn't for this damn collar or the public here I'd give you hell, if I don't already." he laughed slightly "Oh well, not like you'd even give a chance, you're too smart to fight me because you'd lose a fortune and a limb at least. Let me know when we meet your friend."

rtcvb32
06-16-2013, 06:49 PM
Somehow Purusartha's advice and comments seemed inherently obvious, and yet it was interesting seeing the transformation of his teacher from strong older man to near cripple. The sudden change left Sauel blank for several moments before he reached under Purusartha's arm and appeared to be helping to move and support him. "Of course sir, where are my manners?"

Yes being covert was probably quite important, but he was likely practically invisible as it was (appearing harmless), only his wolf made him stand out at all. With one hand he helped Purusartha while the other he held the leash and rubbed his fingers against Rabi's head several times keeping his companion calm. They would both feel safer when they were out of the city. "I'll get you some jerky later Rabi... I promise.."

They moved a bit slower, now being passed by those at a faster pace (which was pretty much everyone), and only got a few passing glances before eyes moved on, like they were just this detail like an ugly brick wall that was quickly forgotten about. Sauel had no idea of their destination, however Purusartha was leading him towards... something. As long as they were so close Sauel concentrated, trying to see if he could even feel Purusartha's energy, his beast. He wasn't trying to draw it out, just see if it was there, perhaps the barest brushing of energy. (Result: 26)

Narayan
06-16-2013, 07:32 PM
There are many taverns and Inn's in Masaeus, at least one on every street, so you have no trouble finding one. The first one you walk into is a small tavern called "The Brown Brew" which actually refers to its house-ale, strong and dark like its namesake. It's seats about forty people in one narrow room with ten booths. The bar itself is rather small and only seats about six or so. There are only about a dozen people in the bar this early in the morning. Two seated at the bar, the rest seated together in groups in three of the booths. The owner/barkeep appears to be a rather jolly dwarf, humming a tune to himself as he cleans some tankards.

"Ah, welcome and good morning sir!" He says looking at the doorway where you stand Asher. (What do you do?)

asher dragoone
06-16-2013, 08:40 PM
Oops! the DM accidentally deleted this post :( But he made his reply before he did so... see below...

Narayan
06-16-2013, 10:14 PM
The pair walked the rest of the way towards the northern gates of the city in silence. Yorick was amazed by the size of it, even bigger than the Angul colony capital city he spent most of his life in. The massive gates were 20ft high, with the walls beside them 20ft thick, and twice as high. Astaroth swapped places with Yorick before they reached the gates, to make a better impression that he was the master and Yorick was just another miserable, broken slave who offered no threat.

There was a crowd of people entering the gates, many of whom were slaves, of all variety of sizes, sexes and ages. Bound by ropes or chains, carried in carts or pulled behind them. Their stink of fear and shame smelled all too-familiar to Yorick. He saw a massive tablet with words chiseled in it. Probably said something important, but of course, he could not read.

Atop the towers above the gates Yorick glimpsed two fearsome-looking, winged, vulture-headed humanoids. ~Those must be the Vullyrie he mentioned. They look dangerous.~ Yorick thought to himself. Surprisingly, he could even sense fear rising in Astaroth standing before him which he never had before. ~We could both be killed by those Vulkyrie if Astaroth cannot convince one of the guards to send for Saeeed. And who's to say they will? Saeeed might not be that well known.~

Astaroth pulled on Yoricks chain roughly as they walked up to where the city watch was collecting toll. Astaroth kept his head covered with his cloak, and raised his hand in greeting as a non-threatening sign.

"Oho, that's a big one!" One of the watchmen joked referring to Yorick. However, as soon as the guards glimpsed Astaroth's deathly-pale face, evil-looking eyes and sharpened teeth they quickly became defensive and nervous.

"It's an Angul!" Yorick heard them exclaim to each other, but kept his head lowered as he was bid so as to not attract attention to himself.

"I'm here to sell a slave. I come in peace. I'm a guest of Saeed, he'll vouch for me." Astaroth said quickly.

The watchmen seemed to stay on edge, weapons ready, as they called for the watch sergeant. The watch sergeant had more questions for Astaroth, but he remained calm and sent for Saeed. They were told to step aside in a holding area until Saeed could be located. Meanwhile, Astaroth seemed to get less nervous, since they did not outright attack him.

After a short while, a man robbed in rich Akhenaten desert garb comes up and speaks with the watch sergeant. Their hands clasped... (Spot Check for Yorick =14) ...and you notice the robbed man slip him something during the gesture. Probably coin as a bribe. The watch sargeant smiles and gestures in your direction.

The robbed man approaches you then, tall for an Akhenaten, probably in his late thirties with wavy black hair and a closely cropped goatee. His eyes are dark and full of confidence, as is his smile.

Astaroth also smiles, a rare and gruesome site, before they embraced each other as friends.

"Saeed, so good to see you!" Astaroth says. "As you see, I have finally decided to take you up on your invitation."

"You are welcome my friend! And ah, here is the great gladiator!" Saeed says looking at Yorick appraisingly. "No worse the wear I see, you have both had a long journey. You must be tired! I have spoken with the watch sergeant he will give us no trouble. Come! You are both my guests!" Saeed says leading Yorick and Astaroth through the gates.

Saeeds desert robes are golden-brown with black accents. He wears a black sash around his waist, tucked with a Jambiya dagger and a scimitar at his hip. There are golden rings on his fingers, and a golden chain around his neck. ~So perhaps he is as wealthy as Astaroth says.~ Yorick thought to himself. (Spot Check for Yorick =23) But as they enter the northern quarter of the city Yorick senses they are being watched and glances back to see a man following them. Not a particularly dangerous looking man however. (What do you do Yorick?)

Executive Spike
06-16-2013, 10:27 PM
Yorick: He whispers to Astaroth trying to not seem conspicuous "Someone's tailing us. Not sure if he's with Saeed or not felt I should letcha know." He continues watch of the man but not draw attention, checking to see if there's anything off about the man following the three. (by off I mean if he's hiding anything dangerous or hiding his true presence?)

Narayan
06-16-2013, 10:41 PM
"Something light coming up!" The dwarf says filling a tankard from another tap. Asher can see the other pair of men at the bar glancing at him out of the corner of his eye. (Listen check for Asher =8) For a moment he thinks he hears them mumble something about him, but he didn't catch what it was.

"Here ya go." The barkeep says placing the tankard on the bar for Asher. "That'll be a silver piece please. Names Gorath, Gorath Aleheart." He says extending a meaty hand across the bar towards Asher. (what do you do Asher?)

Narayan
06-17-2013, 01:37 AM
You detect nothing however, no trace of his werewolf essence. You realize after a while that Purusartha is deliberately leading you in lazy circles, walking through narrow streets surrounding the same neighborhood. And then, as easily as he produced the cane he puts it away again and stands up straight.

"Good, were not being followed." He says matter of factly. "Now I'm thirsty, and I'm sure were both hungry for some breakfast. Let me show you the best place for food and drink in the city." He said walking briskly down a side street, stopping before a swinging sign hanging above a door which says. Tavern of Endless Thirst. Before he enters though, Purusartha lifts a hand to your shoulder, and another hand to the doorframe. Very deliberately, but still natural looking. "That's so our friends watching us know your my guest." He whispers, and then opens the door.

As the door opens, a flood of pleasant scents waft over your noses. Roasting meat, fragrant herbs, spices, and the hint of sweet leaf tobacco from a pipe. "You'll have to keep Rabi calm in here, or he'll be put out for sure." Purusartha warns, entering the warm interior beneath a low ceiling. The Tavern is actually a converted set of lower rooms in a much larger building. The kitchens of two sets of living quarters have been combined, with the intermediate wall knocked out, and the common room is really just two living rooms brought together. Nor are there the usual booths and tables here, instead common household furniture is offered for the patrons.

Purusartha leads you towards one corner of the room and selects a large high backed chair for himself, offering another to you, with two more empty chairs across from you. Before you is a low circular table, with a pitcher of cool water and four glasses. The room is actually rather crowded, with several other patrons enjoying hot meals or drink. It actually looks doubtful that many of these people could afford to pay for their meal, most look like they've worn the same clothes for a long time, just like Purusartha. (What do you do Sauel?)

rtcvb32
06-17-2013, 01:58 AM
It was curious that he was being led in a large circle, however it wasn't like he had anywhere to go, Rabi remained close and relatively calm through all of this as long as he was close. It was a little unfortunate that Rabi would never become truly accustomed to the calmer domesticated lifestyle, but his heritage was too obvious and it was far more likely he would be hunted, or with a good care-taker he would be used as a hunting dog rather than being the nearly free wolf he was.

Sauel was confused not detecting anything at all, if he hadn't had such a convincing and forward explanation regarding their relationship in the pack he likely would never have suspected him of being a lycanthrope; Well unless he lifted a horse in public or something like that of course.

They worked their way now free of the illusion of the old man and the younger helper (or nephew or something or another) and came to this tavern. A hand on his shoulder and 'so our friends watching us know your my guest' made the hairs on the back of his neck rise. Truly if Purusartha weren't leading him here or telling him these things he would never have known. All this made his inexperience even more obvious.

Sauel touched Rabi's head petting him. "Are you going to be okay Rabi? Will you behave?" Already the wafting hints of spaces told him it would likely be too big a temptation to be completely passive. With a more assertive voice he orders Rabi "Heel", and in together he followed. (Handle Animal: 12)

Once at the table he took a few moments to survey the various patrons, several of them seemingly poor and broke. A shiver went through Sauel as he realized this was likely the den of Purusartha's pack, or potentially one of the daytime retreats. It was curious he didn't hardly sense anything. Those that were dirt broke likely had other jobs, scouts, beggars, spies, and any number of other jobs which in the rural area would be far like needed or likely.

Sauel was certain Rabi wouldn't keep himself calm for too long unless his own hunger was dealt with. With little choice he flagged down one of the workers (assuming that Purusartha doesn't stop him) and orders a bowel of beef stew, and some mixed cooked/raw meat for Rabi to enjoy. Likely when his animal companion was full enough he would happily just lay there and enjoy pets until they would have to leave.

Narayan
06-17-2013, 02:22 AM
Yorick: He whispers to Astaroth trying to not seem conspicuous "Someone's tailing us. Not sure if he's with Saeed or not felt I should letcha know." He continues watch of the man but not draw attention, checking to see if there's anything off about the man following the three. (by off I mean if he's hiding anything dangerous or hiding his true presence?)

As soon as you approach Astaroth and try and speak, he whirls around, club in hand raised to strike at you. But before he does, Saeed grabs his arm.

"That is not necessary my friend!" Saeed says, gripping his arm with surprising strength. "He was only trying to warn us!" He adds more softly.

For a moment, Astaroth looks like he might get angry at Saeed, but instead shrugs it off.

"Don't worry." Saeed speaks to you. "That man is nothing to worry about, but thank you for being so watchful."

Astaroth shakes his head, clearly nonplussed at the notion of thanking a slave. But a few moments later, they continue their conversation as if nothing had happened. After walking for a good while, Saeed leads you through the gates to the inner city beside the steel market, and there to your left, beside a local city watch substation, is the arena.

"Behold! Our arena." Saeed says grinning. And truly it is impressive, with the most beautiful stonework you've ever seen. From within, you hear echoes of the roar of the crowd, the cries of bloodlust the same in any language. "Come, lets go inside." Saeed says. (What do you do Yorick?)

Dark Cloaked Figure
06-17-2013, 02:23 AM
No Keu can be described as great in stature, but all the same, Achetii felt tiny. It wasn't the humans mulling the grounds near the bridge, or the grand bridge itself. It was only partly the enormous danger she was foolishly walking into. What it was was the enormity of the task that had befallen her.

She trembled a moment as she passed the sign. If the letter she carried were found...

No.

No no no.

Forcing the thought out of her mind, she plunked her coin in the slot and pushed herself forward, drawing the drab grey-brown cloak tightly around herself. It wasn't nearly enough to disguise her race, but maybe, just maybe, it would help her draw less attention than her bright red, blue, and green feathers would. She had even draped a hood over her bright, golden sun eagle friend, though she hated to do so.

She slowly made her way through the crowd of people, eventually finding someone who looked down on their luck and investing a silver piece into a simple enough question:

"I've been travelling all day, and I am thirsty. Do you know of any places that serve drinks?"

A question she would steer in the direction of the Tavern of Endless Thirst.

Executive Spike
06-17-2013, 02:40 AM
Yorick: "Great, my home basically." He followed them in, observing the area and people around for anything suspicious and to know what competition he'll likely face. ~Hopefully I won't be fighting anymore animals here, not too fond of the tiger I barely manged to deal with.

The place does look marvelous though, much better than the poorly made dens of the Angul... unfortunately I bet the losers are still eaten, just by the Vul.~ He started listening in to the two's conversations, trying to hear of anything of importance.

Narayan
06-17-2013, 02:12 PM
Yorick: "Great, my home basically." He followed them in, observing the area and people around for anything suspicious and to know what competition he'll likely face. ~Hopefully I won't be fighting anymore animals here, not too fond of the tiger I barely manged to deal with.

The place does look marvelous though, much better than the poorly made dens of the Angul... unfortunately I bet the losers are still eaten, just by the Vul.~ He started listening in to the two's conversations, trying to hear of anything of importance.

The pair of them are discussing gladiators in great detail, and Saeed is explaining how the Vulkhans keep and train their fighting slaves, which sounds worlds better than the Anguls. For instance, a Vulkhan gladiator is allowed a straw bed in their cell. Along with fresh food and water, even wine on special occasions. In addition, prized gladiators were allowed conjugal visits, hot bath's and massage.

Astaroth laughed loudly. "You really will spoil him with such good treatment!" He argued. But Saeed didn't seem to think so.

"It's not so much that they should have to fight to survive. It's that they should have something to fight for." Saeed said. "In Vulkh, it is possible for a gladiator to earn his freedom. All it takes is baron Zomok's blessing, which he has been known to give if he is particularly impressed.

The three of you climb a stairwell and end up in Saeeds private viewing box above the Arena, where a half orc was battling eight spear-wielding goblins. The best private boxes were reserved for the Vul of course, and there were four of them currently watching the sport. You notice that common Vul are far less disciplined and reserved than the Vulkyrie you spotted above the city gates.

"Well I must say you Vulkh did right by yourselves using Dwarves as architects! But now my friend I think it is time to get down to business." Astaroth said.

"Of course, of course." Saeed replied. "I promised you five thousand gold pieces for Yorick, and I keep my word." Saeed said. "If you wish, I keep the paperwork and some coin in my office in the lower levels. And you Yorick, can make yourself at home in your new cell when we're through." Saeed said smiling.

"Excellent!" Astaroth said wringing his hands together. He grinned so widely you could practically smell the greed oozing from his pores.

Together you make your way into the lower levels, where Saeed kept his gladiators. His office was an antechamber to a sort of kitchen/storeroom/preproom where some common slaves were currently washing clothes for the gladiators. Saeed dismissed them, and they quickly took their leave shutting the door behind them. Saeed kept two guards in this room at all times, to keep watch over his office and his valuables, and they were fierce looking and well armored.

"Have a seat." Saeed told Astaroth gesturing to a large table at the center of the room. Meanwhile he went into his office and searched through his drawers coming back with a bill of sale, pen and ink. "If you prefer, I have gems instead of coin? A large chest of 5,000 gold pieces will weigh over a hundred lbs, you'd need servants and guards to help you carry it." He said.

"Gems will be fine." Astaroth said quickly. And Saeed obliged returning with a bag of 10 gems, each worth 500 gp.

"Just sign the bill of sale, and these gems are yours." Saeed said plopping the bag of gems on the table before taking a seat at the other end. Astaroth took one long look at Yorick, with a smile of deep satisfaction on his face as if he believed he was doing Yorick a huge favor, and then scrawled his name on the parchment.

"It is done!" Astaroth laughed, reaching for the back of gems.

"Aren't you forgetting something?" Saeed asked. "I'll need the key to his collar and manacles."

"Of course." Astaroth said quickly grabbing a cord from around his neck that held the key and tossing it to Saeed. "Now he is yours!" He said licking his lips and grabbing the gemstones.

"No... he is not mine." Saeed said snapping his fingers. His guards instantly drew their blades stepping towards Astaroth. The Angul looked horrified, scrabbling around the table readying his club.

"What is the meaning of this!" He screamed.

"Allow me to explain." Saeed said icily. "We Summarans consider lycanthropes our dear allies against the Vul. They are some of the only ones willing and capable of fighting them. We have a long tradition of supporting each other in a secret war against our hated oppressors. So when I saw you had one kept in captivity, I could not abide that. And thus..." He began, tossing the key to Yorick. "...You will finally reap what you have sown you Angul monster!" Saeed said vehemently.

(What do you do Yorick?)

Executive Spike
06-17-2013, 03:32 PM
Yorick: He quickly started undoing the restraints, heading to his weapons and watching the Angul, readying his barbed 4 bladed spear, pointing it at him "Out of all the possibilities." He quickly tried to use his net and restrain Astaroth. (Initiative = 12)

Astaroth: (Initiative = 20)

Sensing what Yorick would do with his net, Astaroth ducks and rolls beneath the table the instant he throws it, avoiding its clutches and closing the distance between them so he can attack with his club at the same time! (Tumble Check DC15, result = 13 FAIL) However, his fear and nervousness cause him to screw up a bit, and his tumble isn't as quick as he hoped. Therefore, he ends up having to use 2 move actions to complete the maneuver and does not get an attack in. Plus, it gives Yorick time to react and move again before the next round. (Yorick what do you do?)

Yorick: He closes in and tries to trip Astaroth to the ground (Melee Touch Attack = 28. Str Check = 10) "Out of all the days"

Astaroth: (Dex check to resist being tripped = 13) He avoids being tripped by Yorick, but because Yorick has improved trip he can't counter-attack.

[End of round 1]

Yorick: (Initiative = 7) He wants to trip him once more, thinking that strategy will work since it served him well in the ring.

Astaroth: (Initiative = 9) Having just dodged a trip attempt by Yoricks trident, Astaroth leaps at the offensive and swings at Yorick, holding his club with both hands for maximum impact. "I PROMISED I WOULD SEE YOU DIE FIRST YOU DOG!" Astaroth screams.

(Attack roll = 20 HITS)(Hit Location roll = 12, Left Leg)(Damage = 7 -1 for Yorick's DR, for a total of 6.) Astaroth's club connects with Yoricks left leg, bruising it heavily, but no other adverse affects.(Your turn Yorick)

Yorick: He winces in pain from the injury, the hit breaking his tolerance to stay calm and goes into a furious rage, not caring anymore about sparing the man's life he tries to take a vicious stab at Astaroth (Attack roll = 24 Damage roll = 13! Hit Location roll = 4 Left Arm) And pierces Astaroth's left arm with ease, gouging it and leaving a mortal wound in the process. "THIS. THIS IS REVENGE FOR ALL THE TIMES YOU CLOBBERED ME" He roared after and readied himself for another attack

[End of round 2]

Yorick: (Initiative = 16 WIN)Slightly gaining the thought of strategy again he tries to trip Astaroth again, sweeping the end of the blade from left to right (Touch Attack = 20 Str Check = 13.)

Astaroth: (Initiative = 13 LOOSE)(Dex check to resist trip = 23) Astaroth easily dodges the expected trip attack from Yorick but instead of swinging his club he hurls it at Yorick's head instead, with a called shot!

(Called Shot to the head w/ thrown weapon (Club) = 12, MISS) Astaroth's club sails over Yorick's head harmlessly, but he then draws a dagger, which looks to be made of Silver. "I keep this for special occasions wolf-man. I hope you like it!" Astaroth hisses.

[End of round 3]

Yorick: (Initiative =23 WIN)He eyed the dagger, fearing the deadly metal it was forged from and roared in anger once more (dunno if that needs a intimidate check or not) thrusting his spear at Astaroth (Attack roll= 28. Hit location = 12 Left Leg) and hitting gracefully in Astaroth's left leg (11 damage) leaving yet another mortal wound and took a 5 foot step around Astaroth, readying himself for the angul to attack with the dagger of toxic metal

Astaroth: (Initiative =10 LOOSE) Crying out in agony from the pain in his leg Astaroth lunges at Yorick with his silver dagger! (Attack = 11, MISS) However he misses, and his blood starts to soak his leggings as well as his shirt. "DAMN YOU!" He curses at everyone, surrounded and wounded. "I won't be the last Angul you meet Yorick! More will come looking for you, and they will drag you back in chains! You know what comes of slaves who dare to kill an Angul!" He croaks, his eyes glazing over and wild with panic.

[End of round 4]

Astaroth: (Initiative = 20 WIN) (Attacks with his silver dagger = 14, MISS) Astaroth attacks again, and again he misses!

Yorick: "Let them come, they will all fall like you. My clan will have it's vengeance!" He roars as he thrusts once more (Attack = 21 Location = 10 Left Leg) Hitting again and adding more wounds to the already bleeding leg! (Damage = 9) "You and the rest of the cannibals will regret ever forcing me to fight my own friends, my own people!"

Astaroth groans with agony, clutching feebly at the trident stuck in his leg trying to pull it out, but instead collapses. in the pooling puddle of his own blood, the silver dagger slipping out of his fingers. His eyes closed and his breathing became very shallow.

[End of round 5][End of Combat]

asher dragoone
06-17-2013, 09:11 PM
Reaching a hand into one of his pockets he would retrieve a silver piece and slide them across the bar to the barkeep. "Ash at your service" He replies as he shakes Gorath's hand, it wouldn't do to seem cold to anyone who may prove a potential ally. "Tell me is there a place to stay that you trust?" His eyes glancing to the pair of men watching him, he did not like being watched. It frankly set his nerves on end.

Narayan
06-17-2013, 11:09 PM
"It is done. He will bleed out and die within minutes Yorick. Though, you do not have to kill him just yet. Let me hide him here in one of the cells. He may be more useful to us alive if other Angul ever track him here. And you can make him suffer, as he made you suffer all those years. The choice is yours." Saeed said plainly.

Executive Spike
06-17-2013, 11:19 PM
Yorick: He raised his weapon and pointed it at Astaroth's neck, slowly pushing him to a wall and having the blade touch the darkened skin, struggling to not push in and slowly calms down "This man... has suffered enough. Killing him would be what he'd want but I refuse to torture, it would only make me the same as him." he slowly lowered his spear and backed away "Do as you wish to him, but I choose life." He walked back further to let the guards deal with Astaroth, grabbing a cloth in his bag to wipe the blades on the trident carefully, watching Astaroth

Narayan
06-18-2013, 02:03 AM
"Purusartha! I see you've come back empty handed again." A sweet woman's voice said, calling out from the kitchens. You glimpse a tall, dark haired Akhenaten woman dressed in a worn but lovely green dress that swishes back and forth, to and fro, her hands a blur as she handles bowls, jars and pots, helping the cooks prepare their meals.

"I'm sorry I didn't find any fat rabbits today. But I did find a stray." Purusartha answered.

"That's not a nice way to introduce someone! Shame on you!" The woman said leaving the kitchen to come over to your spot. You could see she was beautiful, her hair so long it would reach past her hips if she didn't tie it up halfway down her back. She wasn't young, though her actual age was hard to guess. "Oh what a beautiful wolf!" She said, kneeling and reaching over to pet Rabi's head.

Rabi actually started to lick her hand, a very surprising behavior towards a total stranger, especially since she put her hand so close to his feed bowl. Most people that try that with a wolf usually lose their fingers.

But you also feel drawn towards this woman somehow, she had an aura about her that drew from a strong character with a personality to match. Her eyes were a striking shade of green, with flakes of orange and yellow.

"My name's Wrona." She said taking a seat across from you. "This is my place, and Purusartha is an old friend of mine. Though he doesn't seem to get any better with age." She chuckles.

"Well this is Sauel, he's gonna be in town for a while. So I thought I'd show him a good place to fill up the old grumbler." Purusartha said patting his stomach.

"Oh yes, well we can certainly do that here." Wrona said taking a longer look at you. "I see you're starting with a beef stew, but if you want something more substantial, just ask." After flashing another lovely smile at you, she stands and moves back into the kitchen again.

(what do you do Sauel?)

rtcvb32
06-18-2013, 02:20 AM
"Nice to meet you Wrona" Sauel replied giving a smile although it was curious seeing how Rabi was so comfortable as a total stranger, and yet her aura seemed to be a magnet that compelled you to like her. Magic probably, a natural magic of either personality or charm.

He felt ever so slightly uncomfortable when she looked him over and something about what she said and how she said it. A fluttered thought went through him that perhaps she was propositioning him, maybe finding him interesting as a sexual playmate for a while, although if that were the case would it be polite to turn her down? To accept? What would the options be and how. This left a slight blush on his cheeks; Once she was out of earshot (or as much as she could be) he turned to Purusartha. "Is she... attached to anyone?" It was a hesitant question, not that he was asking cause he was interested in her to date or anything near to that, yet it seemed important to ask. The look and raised eyebrow from Purusartha made him squirm a little and turn to petting Rabi who was calm and eating quietly, obviously content with the meal provided. Likely the meals would be a few copper.

"What... does she do for a living? I mean, I doubt she only serves food in here..." Still a puzzle, even though he worked with animals and could calm and even coax them a bit, it wasn't anything near what she just did. A slight rumble in his belly made him look over the contents before reaching into his clothes pulling out a pair of chopsticks. Deftly and with skill from years of use he picked up chunks of meat and veggies putting them into his mouth before chewing; When the broth covered everything he would lift the bowl and sip a large swallow of it before resuming with the chopsticks.

Narayan
06-18-2013, 02:55 AM
Purusartha nodded. "Yeah she's attached. She's the alpha female. And I for that matter, am the Omega. I've known Wrona for a long time, but I wasn't aware of what she was until a few years ago. And when I found out, the alpha came for me, but Wrona, she saved my life. She wouldn't let him kill me. But thanks to his attack, I was turned. And now, she's trying to make me part of the pack, but the Alpha wants to keep me out."

rtcvb32
06-18-2013, 03:07 AM
Purusartha's answers gave him the first understanding of the structure and powerplay he had entered. If Purusartha was the omega, then Sauel being a visitor wasn't likely any higher than that either, or maybe being a guest he was, however he doubted he would have any real chance in any type of fight, not that any kind of fight would be a good idea. A side thought had went through is head that perhaps Purusartha was the Alpha, but now that had been answered quite well now. Also with Wrona being the Alpha's mate (Lupa in some packs/societies) it left him a little more confused than before. If she had interest in him for anything sexual then he might be walking a very very thin line depending on the alpha's position on it all, and most Alphas didn't share their mates.

Pack rank and hierarchy seemed like a very important thing to get to know sooner rather than later. "You're the Omega? I wouldn't have guessed... But if that's the case... I think I need to know who in the pack are in charge; I wouldn't want to insult anyone really important..."

Purusartha and Wrona... Something about the way he spoke of the two of them meant they had some history that was long running, a side romance at one point? Whatever their history it was best not to ask, and more important to be cautious; But meeting the Alpha female also meant it confirmed he was in the den of the pack (or one of them).

Narayan
06-18-2013, 04:30 PM
"Well I wouldn't want to tell you too much that an outsider really shouldn't know Sauel. It could get us both in trouble with the alpha, and that's not something you want... if you want to keep all your teeth at the very least." He grinned flashing his missing teeth again. "I probably shouldn't have told you about Wrona, but she's such an amazing woman it's kind of hard to hide her gifts and lie about what she is. Just be sure to treat her like a lady, with respect at all times."

"She has a big heart, probably the nicest werewolf you'll ever meet or hear of, with a soft spot for feeding the hungry as you can see. A few of her pack are closeby whenever she's here, guarding her. Though I doubt that's entirely necessary, Wrona can take care of herself I assure you."

"The majority of her pack does not live within the city though. Some werewolves are just too claustrophobic to live indoors. We let the wererats rule the city, but ours is an unhappy truce with them, because they won't commit in the fight against the Vul. They're content with things as they are because the Vul do not hunt them like they hunt us. We prefer to live out in the open, and that is where the Vulkyrie are most dangerous. Here in the city, the Vulkyrie are handicapped. They know better than to go indoors, or underground, searching for us. We've already killed many of them that way, setting up ambushes in place they can't fly away."

"What we do in the city, is largely just laying low, licking our wounds, or gathering information and resources. If we stir up trouble, we end up having the wererats complaining. And if we really piss em off, it gets bad... real bad... trust me you do not want to be in the middle of a wererat swarm!"

"So what needs to happen, as far as I'm concerned, is finding better ways to kill the Vulkyrie out where we live and roam so we don't have to spend so much time hiding in cities with the likes of them. I have some ideas in that regard, but the Alpha refuses to hear them, so I will just have to go out on my own and prove to the others that he's too much of a stubborn fool to be the leader this pack needs."

"I need to show them my ideas will work. And I will need your help to do that Sauel. None of the other werewolves will risk it without the Alpha's permission."

rtcvb32
06-18-2013, 04:40 PM
Another hint to the internal struggle, an unhappy truce between two different were groups, the alpha stubborn, and everyone else not willing to risk their neck for fear of his retribution, and the kind and caring Lupa. Sauel mentally filed this all away for later. Sauel himself was too wary of city walls to ever live in the city, although maybe a small house outside of the city walls might be livable where the air is still fresh and you can still see the bright silvery beautiful moon which calls to you, like a lover reaching her hand and wanting to be held even for a few hours in such warmth and caresses.

Sauel realized a tear was running down his cheek, and he wiped it away, the internal poetry sorta getting the better of him. "I'm sure the wererats would be far more helpful if they were actively hunted, or there were enough of them on the surface..."

Sauel finishes off his stew, drinks down the broth and feels a bit better, not quite full, but definitely better. Reaching down and petting Rabi he realizes Rabi fell asleep, somehow so content and safe in this room, perhaps knowing there were larger, badder creatures in here that were effectively protecting him without really meaning to. Somehow that was comforting.

Sauel blinked as he looked over the setup, the table and chairs was too large just to fit the two of them, other than having a little privacy... "Are... we waiting for company?"

Narayan
06-18-2013, 09:44 PM
Indeed the beggar does give you directions to the Tavern of Endless Thirst. You find it on a narrow street in one of the poorer neighborhoods of the city. However you get the feeling you are being watched but you have no trouble getting inside.

As the door opens, a flood of pleasant scents waft over you.. Roasting meat, fragrant herbs, spices, and the hint of sweet leaf tobacco from a pipe. The interior is pleasantly warm beneath a low ceiling. The Tavern is actually a converted set of lower rooms in a much larger building.

The kitchens of two sets of living quarters have been combined, with the intermediate wall knocked out, and the common room is really just two living rooms brought together. Nor are there the usual booths and tables here, instead common household furniture is offered for the patrons.

The common room is actually rather crowded, with several other patrons enjoying hot meals or drink. Though, It looks doubtful that many of these people could afford to pay for their meal, most look like they've worn the same clothes for a long time. As you enter, you take a glance around looking for someone matching Purusartha's description. (Spot =6 FAIL)

You don't spot him yet, however, there are a few older Akhenaten men in here so you'll have to move through the common room and look around some more to be certain.

Narayan
06-18-2013, 10:56 PM
"Take him away. Have the healer stop the bleeding and lock him in one of the dark cells." Saeed instructed the guards, who roll Astaroth unto a stretcher and carry him off.

"You've got your freedom now Yorick. But I warn you, this kingdom is dangerous for your kind. You've seen the Vulkyries I'm sure? They'd like nothing more than to peck out your entrails if they knew what you are. The Vul have assassins, enforcers, informants and spies among us called the Vulfear."

"Anguls are very rare visitors to this city. The Vulfear took note of Astaroth no doubt. That's why they sent someone to follow us. But you kept yourself well hidden, and never spoke your name to the watchmen."

"I will have to make up a story about what happened here. But you need not worry, no one will know you were involved. That is not to say I think you should go and wander the streets alone. You've never had your freedom before, and as I said this city is dangerous for your kind."

"You will need help, shelter and guidance from other werewolves. There is one I trust named Purusartha. You can find him at the Tavern of Endless Thirst. Tell him I sent you. I'll send a slave with you to take you out another exit and show you the way."

"Go now Yorick, but do not despair. You are among friends now, and we will meet again."

Executive Spike
06-18-2013, 11:12 PM
Yorick: Grabbing his bag he quickly thanked Saeed and followed the slave out to the Tavern of Endless Thirst, walking casually to not be suspicious and kept watch for anyone tailing them. Putting away his weapon to his back to try and not pose threatening and covered himself from any watchers above or behind with a cowl. It wasn't easy to not be intimidating considering his natural bulk and size so it's likely some who passed by him might have been fearful.

Entering the tavern he looked around the are "Happen to know who this Purusartha fellow is?" he whispered to the slave looking around and using his senses to get a clue possibly.

Narayan
06-18-2013, 11:26 PM
"Well met Ash!" Gorath says. "Oh there are many fine Inns in this city sir you'll have no trouble finding a room. If you're looking to meet other adventurers, you should visit the Sand Dragon Inn. If its entertainment you're after, check out the Harpy. There's always a performance going on there with bards, dancers, actors, you name it. ...Excuse me for a minute." Gorath says collecting a pitcher and some mugs carrying them to one of the tables.

The two men at the bar whisper something to each other and snicker. "Hey.. Asssh. That ale light enough for ya?" They ask with a bit of a slur to their words. These men have a different pallor to their skin then most Akhenatens, and their eyes have a strange shape to them. If you had to guess, you'd presume they were Neferese, and nearly drunk. (What do you do Asher?)

asher dragoone
06-18-2013, 11:37 PM
Would drink down his ale at a relatively slow pace as if he was paying attention to the two who were trying to annoy him or possibly start a fight. Not that he needed to start one now. "Yes it is in fact" Turning around in the chair with the tankard in one hand he would look at the two. "If you do not mind I must leave" He says as he places the tankard back on the bar. Collecting himself and pulling up his hood and cowl. If possible he would leave without looking or acknowledging the drunkards.

Narayan
06-19-2013, 02:05 AM
Sauel

Sauel: (Control Shape= 32) You detect a strong aura from another werewolf that enters the tavern. Very excited and a little agitated.

Yorick

(Yorick, can you describe yourself please as you enter the tavern? It's just you, the slave who came with you left as soon as they led you to the entrance of the tavern.)

Dark Cloaked Figure
06-19-2013, 04:09 AM
Achetii cursed her stature (or at least those of the creatures she was surrounded with) in her mind as she looked around unsuccessfully for her contact. Still, looking at the golden lining of this cloud, she felt safer here than on the street, as the (from her perspective) massive humans formed a natural wall, a shield of sorts, against the eyes of the Vul. She pulled back her hood, and briskly shook her head to correct the feathers messed up by the hood's abrasion.

She meandered through the crowd, looking for Purusartha, and listening for the name spoken aloud. If this did not yield results, she would find her way through to the bar, buy something fruity, if possible, and ask about him.

rtcvb32
06-19-2013, 05:30 AM
{Takes note of Yorick's entrance}

Sauel's eyes turned immediately focusing on Yorick. There was no doubt this was a lycanthrope, although what kind he wasn't sure; However Yorick didn't hide himself very well (or maybe he wasn't even trying). Sauel frowned a little at such lack of control not knowing of Yorick's difficult years. Next to Sauel a familiar growl was barely audible; Without looking Sauel's hand reached down petting Rabi. "Don't worry Rabi.. It's alright..." Sauel whispered. The comforting touch was enough to relax Rabi from being on edge, so long as Yorick kept his distance.

"I'd say from your reaction you've never seen him before... Isn't it bad manners to be so agitated that your ready to project your energy?" Although he wasn't 'projecting' his energy, it was just under the surface like it wanted to, it might be considered a challenge by an alpha, or his agitation could potentially be contagious.

Narayan
06-19-2013, 02:08 PM
After a few minutes of pushing your way by people that barely realize you're there, you decide to climb up on one of the barstools at one of the kitchen counters that have been converted to a bar. You see a tall, dark haired Akhenaten woman running the kitchen dressed in a worn, but lovely, green dress that swishes back and forth, to and fro, her hands a blur as she handles bowls, jars and pots, helping the cooks prepare their meals.

As she spots you climb on a stool she smiles and moves over to the counter where you're sitting. She is beautiful, her hair so long it would reach past her hips if she didn't tie it up halfway down her back. She isn't young, though her actual age is hard to guess. You also feel drawn towards this woman somehow, she has an aura about her that drew from a strong character with a personality to match. Her eyes are a striking shade of green, with flakes of orange and yellow.

"My name's Wrona, this is my place." She says adding. "My what beautiful feathers you have! I can't remember the last time a Keu came in here? What can I get you?" She asks sweetly.

Executive Spike
06-19-2013, 02:35 PM
Yorick: Walks into the tavern, ducking a bit to clear the doorframe. He has a hulking, hugely strong body-build, draped with a tattered travel cloak and is around 6'1"-6'3" people can guess. A sheathed knife hangs on his chest, and the sound of chain mail can be heard from beneath his shirt. A metal helm is attached to his side by a strap, and a 4-bladed spear hangs off his back, the blades pointed upwards above his head almost scraping against the low ceiling. (Control Shape Check to Detect other Were's = 20 FAIL)

After noticing the Akhenaten man (Sauel) glance at him and his pet wolf growling, he walks over and removes his cowl revealing himself. As an Ahuran His skin was slightly pale but reddened from the hot Akhenaten sun. There is a scar over his left eye and his unkempt, dark brown hair hangs slightly over his face and thickly around his neck, which also bears a brand of some kind? He takes a look at the wolf and says "There a problem here?" Kneeling down, he stares at Rabi fearlessly with stern blue eyes.

Dark Cloaked Figure
06-19-2013, 03:18 PM
Achetii chirped happily. "Thank you, Miss Wrona, for the compliment. Your own hair is similarly remarkable. I would like to buy a drink, something fruity and very weak would be nice, if you have something like that."

For a moment, she turned to look in either direction one more time, before turning back to the gracious and beautiful Akhenaten woman and speaking in a more quiet tone. "Truth be told, I feel no more safe than a rabbit in a fox's den. I am a courier, here on business. Have you heard of anyone named Purusartha?" She hoped she had not made a mistake letting that be known.

rtcvb32
06-19-2013, 05:18 PM
"There wasn't a minute ago..." Sauel replied looking up to Yorick. He could tell Yorick was looking down and intimidating Rabi, however you can't start a fight over just glaring. Rabi growled before lowering his ears and backing up slipping more under the table and behind Sauel's legs seeking cover.

"That wasn't a very nice thing to do.." said, obviously very disapproving, but what could you do? There wasn't fighting and nothing was worse for wear. "Now that you've picked on my friend, if you have nothing else to do here, please move on...". Sauel would not get intimidated from him here, he was in another were's den so any threats would be all bark and no bite, but that assumes he didn't force Yorick's hand.

He turns his attention from Yorick to pet Rabi speaking soft encouraging words (Handle Animal: 8) and it was apparent his pet would take a little while longer to calm down, he wasn't the most combative wolf there was, and would likely never be an alpha or head of his own pack. This seemed a little sad in it's own way.

Narayan
06-19-2013, 10:40 PM
After leaving the Brown Brew Tavern you stroll down the streets again, taking in the sights. However, as you pass by an alley you think you hear a loud yelping/squeaking sound, as though an animal were injured stopping you in your tracks. A short distance down the alley, you make you out several Rhats (http://www.obsidianportal.com/campaign/sion/wikis/rhat) scuffling. Apparently, four grey rhats are kicking, clawing and biting a fifth white rhat curled up defensively on the ground. Another black Rhat, seemingly a gang-leader, holds a wicked-looking kris dagger. He starts to speak and you have to strain your ears to hear him... (Listen = 18 Success)

"Alright that's enough. Time to kill this one in the name of Vermithrax!" The black rhat gang leader growls stepping forward as if to use his dagger in a coupe-de-grace!

However, even if you had the inclination to save the white rhat from the others, this alley is blocked off from the street by a tall, locked, wrought iron gate, too strong to force, topped with sharpened iron spikes that make climbing over it a very difficult and potentially deadly proposition. (What do you do Asher?)

Narayan
06-19-2013, 10:50 PM
Well I have some delicious berry-wine here that's to die for!" Wrona says pouring you a small glass." That'll be 10 copper if you have em?" She asks smiling. In response to your other question she replies. "Oh, yes of course I know Purusartha, he's an old friend of mine. He's over there in the corner..." She says pointing. "...Although he looks to be quite popular today, he's talking with those other two men as we speak." She chuckles.

asher dragoone
06-19-2013, 11:16 PM
He was not one to interfere in the lives of others when he had a choice or if a life was in danger. Indeed he was just about to leave the Rhat to it's fate when he heard the word 'kill'. To leave this one to it's fate would leave a bad omen on his own personal quest. Focusing on his innate powers he would effortlessly float himself over the dangerous iron fence, then he would land himself on the other side. "well well well...what kind of thugs do I see here" There was a dark undertone to his voice as he asks. His rapier making a hissing sound as he pulls it slowly from it's sheath as the sunlight glints off his blue eyes making them seemingly glow. "I suggest leaving the white one alone or you might just have a bad day" (Intimidate Check = 9 FAIL)(Re roll Intimidate Check with Character Point = 15 SUCCESS)

Narayan
06-20-2013, 12:19 AM
"Eeeep! It's a flying man!" The rhats say shrieking, starting to scurry off on all fours in a full run. That is all except the black rhat gang leader, who apparently is not at all intimidated.

"Wait! Wait!" The black rhat gang-leader shouts trying to vain to recover their morale. Hissing with anger, he shakes his small fist at them, and then turns to regard you more closely with narrowed eyes, holding the kris dagger up in a threatening fashion.

"Youuu hasss magic! But you don't scare me!" He spits at you. "Who are you!" He demands.

asher dragoone
06-20-2013, 12:33 AM
Locks the black rhat in his gaze, as if he was looking into it's very soul. (Intimidate) "I am no body you need to concern yourself with" He says calmly as he slowly walks around the rhat, still keeping his gaze on him. He wasn't all that threatened by the thing holding a tiny dagger. Angling his rapier ever so slightly, a light would reflect off the blade. "Good...that 'magic' is not what you should be afraid of..."

Narayan
06-20-2013, 12:52 AM
The black rhat seems to shrink in your gaze, and his dagger starts to quiver in his grasp.

"I fear my maaaster Vermithrax! ...and so should you!" The black rhat hisses. "I shall remember your face stranger... but this will be the last time you see mine... because someday while you sleep I will cut out your eyes with this dagger!" He spits, and quicker than a blink he is gone. Vanished. Disappeared.

The white rhat coughs, spitting up blood and struggles to rise. He's seriously injured from a dozen claw wounds and bites.

asher dragoone
06-20-2013, 01:10 AM
Walks over to the white rhat sheathing his rapier as he approached. If allowed he would reach over and pick it up and hold it as if it were a child. It was after all the same size as one. "Conserve thy strength you have held out long enough...if you can tell me where I can take you to get these wounds healed"


If not allowed to pick up the rhat he would kneel by it's side and look over the wounds. "Save your strength little one, I will take you to get treated if you allow me too" He would wait there until the rhat gave any indication of what it wanted done.

Regardless he would think that this Vermithrax would be something important to check out, perhaps he could learn something at a bar later on.

Narayan
06-20-2013, 01:18 AM
(bold/underlining used for emphasis since all my descriptive writing is italicized)

"Excuse me, friend..." Purusartha says leaning forward in his chair beside Sauel to speak at Yorick. "I can see that you are a stranger to these lands, you look Ahuran to me. But more than that, I think we both know what you really are... What you don't know is where you really are... And friend, I'm warning you, this is not the place for trouble. I recognize that type of brand on your neck, its a slave's brand isn't it? Who is your owner? Are you here on some errand or another? If so speak up, and try and be polite about it... slaves should know to show more courtesy."

Executive Spike
06-20-2013, 01:39 AM
Yorick: He stood back up, trying to stay calm and put a hand over the singed mark in his neck and diverting his eyes towards it "I assume I'm in a tavern called the 'Tavern of Endless Thirsts' and yes this is a slave brand. My old owner is none of your concern" He turned toward the Akhenaten man (Sauel)

"Sorry for my hostility just a little angry is all and directed it on the poor fellow there" he turned his head to the wolf and smiled happily, turning back to the both of them. " I suppose you could call it a errand but more of a personal one... was searching for someone named Purusartha I believe... don't suppose either of you are him or know where he is? Was told I'd meet him here by a man named Saeed" He looked at both of them closely and sat down in one of the chairs.

rtcvb32
06-20-2013, 02:57 AM
Now that the slave brand was brought to attention it was clear as day, but he had been a little more ready to protect Rabi than make note of slave marks. As Yorick calmed down enough that he wasn't a threat he took note of the man a bit more. At the mention of Purusartha's name he can't help but glance to him and raise an eyebrow. He wasn't going to name him off not knowing this Saeed person, however that didn't mean he was in the position to send him away, that would be up to his companion.

"Yes I do think he is around..." Sauel says absentmindedly. Sauel leaned back trying to get comfortable again.

(Mmmm not much else to do...)

Narayan
06-20-2013, 11:58 AM
"Oh, well I am Purusartha. How is Saeed?"

Executive Spike
06-20-2013, 12:11 PM
Yorick: " He's fine I believe... probably just got a new slave or something." He walks over and offers a handshake to Purusartha "Name's Yorick, nice to meet ya."

Narayan
06-20-2013, 12:54 PM
"Ta...taake me... the sh... shri....rine of mother earth." The white rhat says weakly, hyperventilating from shock and blood loss. You ask directions and find the shrine in a nearby neighborhood, though by the time you reach it the rhat in your arms has passed out. Not a good sign. There is an elderly woman standing by the shrine, a priestess taking alms (donations).

She rushes to you as you approach. "Oh dear! What a poor thing!" She says helping you lay the white rat at the foot of the shrine. After pulling up her sleeves she rubs her hands together. "Earth mother, Wa'ef, lend me your blessing and let me heal this poor creature!" She says and lays her hands on him but quickly recoils and seems distressed. "I sense this creature has been touched by evil!" She gasps.

Asher: "You must do something!" You say.

The old woman sets her jaw and starts to chant a holy prayer, lifting her hands in the air and swaying back and forth. After a few moments, she kneels again at the side of the rhat and this time has more success. The rhat twitches at first, then stirs, the bleeding ceases and his breathing resumes. After a minute, his eyes start to open.

"Praise Wa'ef!" The old woman croaks smiling.

asher dragoone
06-20-2013, 01:56 PM
Smiles underneath his cowl as he watches the priestess perform a divine act. "Praise Wa'ef indeed" Walking over to the rhat he would pull out a small leather bag (contains 20 gold) and plop it on the table beside the older woman. "I thank you and the Earth Mother for the deed you have done for me and my new friend this day" He would wait for the rhat to come to before asking questions. In the back of his mind he couldn't help but think that the gods never cease to amaze, even a dragonling like himself.

Narayan
06-20-2013, 07:24 PM
Ivar

Ivar stood on the outskirts of the town of Kara, beside the Arosis river on the road north of Masaeus. It was a beautiful springtime morning, the air was sweet with the scent of blooming flowers and the subtle burbling music of the flowing river made a lovely melody with the songbirds in the trees. And yet, Ivar was miserable.

All he could see was the looming shadow of Mt Kraljak rising above the far side of the river, with the dwarven fortress of Kraljakar built on it. His birthplace, his home... no longer. Ivar's father, Vonakral Silver'Rune, had banished him from the Torgrimm Dwarfholds forever.

"It's not going to get any easier the longer you look at it." A voice said, carried by the breeze. Ivar turned to see an old man.

"What business is it of yours what mountain I stare at?" Ivar shouted back.

"Well now you see, your ugly face ruins the view! I'll have to come up beside you and keep you out of the old periph." The old man said stepping over with the aid of a cane. He also held a long fishing pole and a bucket.

"I have no desire for company." Ivar complained.

"Well that's too bad! You're standing on my land!" The old man scolded. "See, that's my house right there!" He said jabbing his cane at a rundown brick dwelling on the outskirts of town behind them. "I own all the land between that house and the river here." He explained. "Usually I walk down to the water every morning to do some fishin. But lately I haven't, cause you stand here everyday like some dumb post and I worry what sort of fella ya are? You might be the type that would rob an old man! So I started askin around about ya, and I heard the whole story from the barkeep at the tavern you've been drinkin at. Seems you're upset cause your daddy banished ya from that there dwarven mountain!" He said jabbing his cane up again.

"Apologies, I won't trespass on your land any longer." Ivar said a bit sheepishly and turned to walk back towards the tavern where he'd been drowning his sorrows for nearly a month.

"Hey! You can't leave now." The old man protested. "The fish are probably used to your ugly face by now. If you go, they'll get spooked!"

"You're just full of insults aren't ya?" Ivar grunted, starting to chuckle despite himself.

"Well why don't you go get drunk and cry about it!" The old man chastised, jabbing his cane at him.

"Maybe I will..." Ivar groaned and started to turn away again.

"Not at the tavern you idiot! How am I supposed to drink a whole bottle of dwarven whiskey by myself?!" The old man complained, holding up the bucket to show Ivar the bottle within. A very fancy bottle with an real gold coin melted into the glass bearing the head of a dragon.

"Wh... where did you get that?!" Ivar asked in surprise. That was bottle of Goldendrake, the finest dwarven whiskey in the world! Aged for no less than two hundred years, it was usually reserved for kings or the very rich. How this ornery, old, poor Akhenaten man had a bottle boggled his brain. It was worth more than its weight in gold!

"Oh now I've got your attention eh? Wanna be my friend now do ya?" The old man said chuckling. "Well come on then the fish aren't gonna catch themselves!" He said walking further down to the river bank and taking a seat, kicking off his sandals.

"Whats your name?" Ivar asked taking a seat beside him.

"Names Vritra. And I already know your name." The old man said pulling out the bottle, cutting the wax around the top with a small knife and then prying out the cork. "Here's to a good morning!" He said taking a swig, coughing loudly and handing the bottle over to Ivar. "They must mix this stuff with dragonsfire!" He said gasping.

"They probably do. My kin don't mess around when it comes to drink." Ivar said, taking a sip, savoring its strong fiery flavor.

"Well that's where you're wrong. They aint your kin no longer." Vritira said taking the bottle back.

"I'm so close I could practically hit my homeland with a rock from here. And your saying I shouldn't be thinking about it?" Ivar replied.

"I could literally hit my house with a rock from here if I wanted. Don't mean I'm homesick." Vritra said taking another swig.

"Well that's cause things are different for me. You've probably lived in that brick house there your whole life. You'll probably die there sooner rather than later. You don't know what this feels like." Ivar said.

"Wrong. I know exactly what you're feeling smart ass. You miss your kin. I understand that. I miss mine too." Vritra said taking another swig. "But your kin don't want you anymore. It's not fair, its not nice, but there it is. You gotta just live with it and move on." Vritra said handing the bottle back to Ivar and expertly flicking his fishing line into the river with his pole. A talent that came from many years of practice.

Ivar drank deeply from the bottle this time, and the pleasant sensation of warmth soaked through his whole body from his belly while his head started swimming. "I'll never forgive him for this." He cursed.

"Who? Your father? Meh... he's suffering too I assure you." Vritra said. "No one wins when kin start hurting each other."

"Why is he suffering? He never wanted me. All I've ever tried to do is make him proud." Ivar said.

"He's suffering because he's realizing right about now that the lesson he's trying to teach you by pushing you away, is really a lesson he has to learn at your expense. And when that realization comes it sits very hard with you. Its the lesson of being forced to remember you have a heart like every man does, the same heart you gave your children... and when you realize what a disappointment you are to them, it hurts you twice as bad." Vritra said, clenching his jaw.

"Sounds like you have children?" Ivar asked after a moments pause, handing him back his bottle.

"Aye I have a son... somewhere" Vritra said taking another swig.

"Ah... and I'm guessing you sent him away some time ago?" Ivar said.

"Yes. And I regret it now everyday of my life." Vritra said taking another swig.

"So what's your advice for me then? Should I go back home?" Ivar asked.

"No its not that simple. You can't go back now, if you did, it'd just piss your father off cause it'd make you look mollycoddled and weak. He'll stop missing you as soon as you get back."

"That's not right!" Ivar complained.

"No it aint! But fathers weren't made perfect anymore than their sons that anger them so. Might as well just accept that." Vritra said handing back the bottle.

"I don't understand." Ivar said gloomily.

"Look, sons have gotta get kicked in the ass by their father sooner or later. Don't dwell on it like a woman. Just go make something of yourself! Live a life your father will be proud of. Only then will he put aside his pride and reach out to you again."

Ivar nodded and drank some more. He did feel a little better about it when Vritra put it in those terms. They sat together there on the riverbank till about noon, both nearly drunk just sharing that one bottle between them. But Vritra had a bucket full of fish by then and it was time to go eat something so they walked back to Vritra's house.

However, before they went inside, Vritra spotted something down the street. Six men on horseback riding his way.

"Quickly, hide there in the outhouse!" Vritra said shoving Ivar towards it as best he could.

"What? Why?" Ivar asked confused.

"Just do it. And take this!" He said, handing him a folded letter hidden in his shirt. "Wait until their gone, find my son in Masaeus and give this to him!" Ivar shut the door on the outhouse just as the men on horseback rode up.

"Old man!" The lead rider shouted. "We'd like to have a word with you."

"Oh yeah?" Vritra asked, acting older and more feeble than he actually was, holding up a hand to see as if the sun was blinding him. "And who's asking?"

"Sheriff Hassan!" The lead rider said dismounting.

"Oh, well I wasn't expecting company. Could we go inside where it isn't so hot?" Vritra asked wiping the sweat from his brow. The other men dismounted, and quickly walked over to where Vritra was standing. Two of them held loaded crossbows, the others drew scimitars.

"Check the house!" The sheriff said, gesturing at two of the men, who quickly did as they were bid and shoved their way inside.

"Whats happening? What have I done?" Vritra asked looking very surprised, but Ivar could tell it was all an act peeping through a crack in the doorway. An act of a master bluffer.

"What's happening is that you have been named as a conspirator against the Vul! The sheriff said smugly."

"That's nonsense! All I've done all day is go fishing!" Vritra argued holding up his fresh catch.

The sheriff rolled his eyes, and in that second Vritra tossed the fish in his face! The sheriff recoiled, and Vritra used the chance to move past him, running towards the horses far quicker than any of them expected.

"Shoot him!" Hassan shouted cursing. The deputies with the crossbows took aim and fired. (Attack = 13, 7, MISSES) However, their bolts miss and Vritra lept up on a horse while they were reloading. Ivar was tempted to charge out of hiding to cover his escape, but just then the other two deputies rushed out of the house and he was still sorely outnumbered. Besides, Vritra looked like he was going to get away... galloping off down the street before the sheriff and his men could mount up.

However, moments later, a great shadow loomed over him, and Ivar glanced up just in time to see a Vulkyrie dive low and loose a javelin down into Vritra's back like a thunderbolt! The weapon struck with such force it actually pinned the old man and horse together! Forcing them both to collapse and roll across the street in a bloody mess.

"NOOOO!" Ivar heard himself cry out. But thankfully the sheriff and his men were already out of earshot. He took the opportunity to step out of the outhouse and duck low behind the low hedges and fence in front of the house. The Vulkyrie circled the scene once, and then landed beside Vritra's quivering body in a cloud of dust puffed up by his powerful wings.

Ivar had to strain his hearing to listen in on the scene. (Listen = 1 FUMBLE) However the blood rushing through his own ears and the sound of his own heartbeat from the horror and shock was too much. He saw the sheriff quickly dismount and say something. The Vulkyrie said something back and raised his wings up threateningly. The sheriff fell to his knees, apparently pleading, and quick as lightening the Vulkyrie's wing-claw tore open his cheek, leaving the sheriff gurgling on his own blood as he tried to hold his face together. The Vulkyrie said something else, apparently gloating, and gestured back towards the house where Ivar was still hiding.

Ivar had to crawl through the hedges into the neighbors yard as the deputies galloped back and started searching the house quite earnestly as though they would tear it apart brick by brick. Then, first chance he got, Ivar crept out from hiding and walked out of town heading south for Masaeus. The letter Vritra gave him was addressed to Purusartha.

Narayan
06-20-2013, 07:56 PM
Purusartha accepts your handshake, and for a moment allows his essence to peek through, giving you confirmation that he is also a werewolf. He does this as a gesture of good faith and friendship.

"Nice to meet you Yorick. Why did Saeed tell you to find me?" He asks curious.

Executive Spike
06-20-2013, 08:14 PM
Yorick: He smiles and firmly shakes the hand, taking a seat after opposite of Purusartha

"He was wanting me to find you because... I'm in need of help. He said you're the only one he trusts considering I need to learn more about what I am and shelter because... he said the city was dangerous to my kind. I've got no where really to go since I've never really had true freedom until recently so I followed his guidance and looked for your help."

He put his hand to the mark on his neck again, feeling tied to it and trying to repress emotions. " I've literally had nothing but fighting in a damned arena for who knows how long now so I can be a guard I suppose if you even need or something similar if you wish..."

He calmed down again soon after and relaxed in the chair. "So will you help this brute or let him go on his own?" referring to himself waiting for an answer.

(What do you do Purusartha or Sauel? sorry had to mess with Nara by adding this :P)

Narayan
06-20-2013, 08:39 PM
The white rhat slowly sits up, sniffing at you. "Thank you... friend." It says peering at you closely. "You saved my life... now I owe you mine." It says clutching at your hand with his. "My name is Tix, and you are my master now."

rtcvb32
06-20-2013, 08:44 PM
{At Purusartha's leaking of his energy; assuming DC 10 detection would be auto success} Sauel could feel the trickle of energy, not enough to make anyone out of arm's reach take notice, but enough that he wasn't hiding it for a few seconds, long enough to let Yorick know he was in the company of at least one lycanthrope.

Sauel having learned long ago the abilities of regeneration of lycanthrope, seemingly from being utterly and totally dead to simply rise up after a while, like their heart just jump-started after the major vessels repaired themselves and they made enough blood to sustain them. In less serious cases one's own limb could regrow over a short period of time.

But for those whose power grows with time like his own the full effects of regeneration were absent, yet showed themselves in lesser ways such as small scrapes that would leave minor marks behind instead leave nothing as the skin re-knitted itself within seconds.

"I know how to remove those slave marks.. it can be painful, but it can be worth it...". The easiest way to remove the marks would be simply to cut them off and let new skin grow in it's place in a matter of hours or so; He didn't know if Yorick, this natural werewolf like him was ready for it. Sauel wouldn't have been ready, maybe when the pull of the moon felt different he would know.

Rabi finally calms down form his petting, Sauel could feel the wolf laying it's chin on his foot.

Executive Spike
06-20-2013, 09:07 PM
Yorick: He turned to Sauel and slightly laughed and smiled maniacally. "If I wanted this damn mark gone already, I would have. It's both a curse and a reminder. A reminder of my past before I was captured and a curse reminding me of... what happened in slavery... Have you ever had to fight your closest friends and clans members to survive? Against both mine and their wills?"

He clenched a fist hard and bit his lip in anger, re-seeing the scenes of him fighting and killing in the arena, just for the entertainment of his captors. Uncontrollably some of the energies of his lycan form leaked out, showing anger but tried to keep it contained and slightly calmed down. "Please... don't remove... the mark... or speak of it..." He said in a serious tone then put his head down and the leak stopped finally. "I'm sorry... I didn't catch your name. Mind if I ask what it is?" he offered another handshake to the Akhenaten man (Sauel) he still knew little of.

rtcvb32
06-20-2013, 09:20 PM
"Sorry... And no, thankfully I haven't..." The slave Mark on his neck wasn't seemingly the wound the Yorick really had, it was his memories and his heart. It would take a very long time for that to heal. Reaching forward he takes Yorick's hand. "I didn't say it, however it is Coran". For now his last name would do, he wasn't sure if this was a one time meeting, and would treat it as such, so he contained his energy (DC 25), he would share it later if they would be traveling together.

Settling back down he gives Purusartha the forefront, since it seemed Yorick and him had something to discuss.

asher dragoone
06-20-2013, 10:12 PM
Simply nodding he would reach to his belt and pull off his waterskin and hand it to Tix to drink from. "I should warn you before making me your master, I do not and will not be walking an easy road in this life" He would not force anyone to walk his path with him, but all the same a little company would be appreciated. "If you can recall why were those other rhats trying to kill you for this Vermithrax?" This last part was asked in a whisper.

Dark Cloaked Figure
06-20-2013, 10:14 PM
"Thank you, kind and beautiful Wrona," Achetii said, placing two silver on the counter. "Please don't spread the word."

She waited long enough to receive the berry wine, and then thanked Wrona again before heading to Purusartha's table, trying likely unsuccessfully to attract as little attention as possible. Under her breath in a low warble, she cursed that her name meant 'Colours' in her people's tongue.

shadovar
06-20-2013, 10:20 PM
His mouth was as dry as dust and his head ached like never before. He turned to look behind him only one thought currently in his mind. ~135 Miles in 4 days~ 140 miles from his home, from everything he knew, but that didn't mean give up. It just meant put your head down and keep on going. "Mines don't dig themselves Boy." He heard himself say... something his father told him whenever he was tired or discouraged.

He turned and looked ahead at the city before him. Dwarven made, that meant something to him. Even if he wasn't going to be home, he was gonna be somewhere dwarves had left their mark. He began to stride towards the north gate of the city, already knowing its customs having been here before in merchant caravans with his father. He nodded respectfully to anyone that looked at him and had his toll ready, but he missed his home so much as soon as he passed near the gate he took his time, touching everything just to memorize their feel.

However despite the dwarven feel to the stone around them, the city itself was full of people and their general clamour had no music to it. He missed the melody of songs and hammers echoing off the cavern walls together. Ivar fidgeted with his hands and itched his long beard. It had been a while since it had been trimmed, waxed, or cared for in any fashion and so was starting to get itchy. "Ahah." He had spotted what might be of some help. A young street street urchin was standing nearby so he approached the boy with intent to gather some information.

"Hey boy, I have some coin for you. I need a guide through the city and such. You willing?" He spoke in an easy tone while holding up 2 silvers pieces. "I'm trying to find a man by the name of Purusartha." Ivar explained.

Narayan
06-21-2013, 03:33 AM
Purusartha nods and looks at you closely, you can almost see the scales tipping in his mind.

"Well this is an eventful day indeed... it seems I have collected another stray?" He says shrugging. "It's a bit early in the day but I need to think on this with a drink!" He waves over one of the tablemaids. "Bring us a pitcher of ale." He says, sliding a gold piece on her tray. Then he cracks his knuckles and sits back in his chair.

"So you've been fighting in an arena? As a gladiator I suppose? Your spear and that helmet seem to look the part. You're certainly fearsome to behold, big enough to wrestle a bear, with scars to prove that you've been fighting ever since you were a boy..."

"...And you say you need to know more about what you are? It's probably not far off to say you've been feeding your beast a lot more than taming it haven't you?" He waits for you to nod and then keeps talking. "Those of us who were born this way can sense your lack of control. It ebbs out of you like a smell, and those of us with the nose... {He taps his nose} ...can smell it. Not I though, but there are some in here who can..." {he tips his head in Sauel's direction.}

"The thing is Yorick..." Purusartha says, pausing while the table maid sets down the pitcher and then pours you and Sauel a cup of ale (if you wish) before filling Purusartha's. After she walks away he continues. "...Saeed is right, this city is dangerous for us. We werewolves have learned to be a cautious lot. You clearly have had a lot of trauma in your past that's put you on edge. That could be very bad for you, and for us, if you lost control..." Purusatha says taking a deep drought of his ale.

"But that is not to say that I'm not interested in helping you, and sheltering you." He quickly adds. "I just want you to promise me, that you will heed my guidance and keep your beast in check?" He takes another drink and waits for you to nod again and continues.

"Good. Because I will be honest with you Yorick, there is only so much I can do. I am not the Alpha for this pack. I have only myself, and my friend Coran here, to rely on... and we are not staying here long. I have plans outside the city. Plans that will put us in great danger. But if you are as brave and capable in a fight as you look, I could certainly use your help. What say you Yorick?"

Executive Spike
06-21-2013, 01:38 PM
Yorick: ~Well that's a first, I have a say in matters~ "It seems I don't have many other options in terms of work or freedom and survival... I accept." He shakes Prursartha's hand one more time to confirm the deal. "The beast inside is what makes me strong... and I at times don't like its power. Keeping it in check is a hard thing since as you can see I'm hard to control as it is..." drinking his ale he pulled out a piece of the jerky he hid earlier and offered it to the wolf under the table as a piece offering.

"If I gain control of my emotions... maybe I can finally find peace and get my clan back... Start it all over again." Looking down at his ale in deep thought "Ah, no need to dwell on that at the moment, we have other business to attend to." Drinking more of his ale he turned back to the two of them with a smile, unconsciously sniffing the air and noticing the scent of a Keu approaching. A rare scent for him since he rarely, if at all met any of the avian kind.

"Will there be anyone else joining us?" diverting a eye behind him towards the approaching Keu (Achetii) and watching her, his face slightly going stern again and leaned back, waiting for a response ~A wolf, three wolfmen, and a bird... next there's going to be a Angul or dragon with or after us.~

rtcvb32
06-21-2013, 04:45 PM
Rabi hesitantly looks and sniffs at the jerky, thinking it over and weighing the uncertainty with the prospect of food, before crawling forward enough to grab the jerky and pull back. Perhaps the jerky would be enough to start the bonds of friendship, or perhaps the wolf like many other animals had a short memory in respects to a good number of things so long as being intimidated by a werewolf wasn't the norm.

Sauel's heart warmed a bit seeing Yorick was trying to undo the damage that was caused, his first impressions melting away as Yorick was simply just stressed out. It would be interesting to see where it would go.

{Spot check: 25, to notice the Keu} Sauel like Yorick notices the avian approaching. This seemed a popular table today.

Narayan
06-21-2013, 07:36 PM
At the mention of the name Vermithrax, the white rhat seems to shiver, but then you watch him visibly straighten up his back and set a look of determination on his brow.

"Vermithrax is the evil god of wererats, but many rhats get pulled into his cult because we make such excellent minions. They attacked me for information!" Tix exclaims. "I hate evil, I want to help a good cause. My former master, my teacher, Shajarian the mage was targeted by the cult of Vermithrax because he was helping many rhats in my nest, especially me..." Tix says wiping a tear away from his eye.

"Kasha, the female wererat who runs the thieves guild in that part of the city targeted Shajarian for assassination. She decided he was setting a bad precedent empowering us rhats not to pay extortion money to her. They began watching Shajarians flat, and noticed me coming and going on a regular basis running errands for him. They knew I had a key to get inside, so Pithis, the black rhat who is Kasha's head-minion had them jump me. They captured me, searched me for my key and left me in a small cage in one of their hideouts."

"However, I managed to use my magic to escape, but my mistake was going back to the flat to warn Shajarian which is when I realized he was murdered! Pithis and the others must have used my key to sneak inside and take him by surprise. I tried to hurry back to my nest and report the crime to a warren, but I didn't get very far. Pithis and the others anticipated I would do that once they realized I was gone, and were waiting to ambush me in that alley."

"They wanted me to tell them where Shajarian kept his valuables, because despite ransacking his flat they didn't find them. I refused to tell them so they were about to cut my throat before you saved me, but I am willing to bet they are headed back there now to keep looking. Master, Shajarian's magical items would be very dangerous in the wrong hands, but I trust you would do good with them would you not? We should make sure we find them first. I know where he kept them!" Tix says taking a moment to catch his breath.

(What do you do Asher?)

asher dragoone
06-21-2013, 08:02 PM
Admired the rhat's courage to work for a good cause and he had made the right assumption that he wouldn't use them for bad. "You are right about that we cannot allow them to get their paws on these magical objects" To allow servants of an evil deity to have more power than they already had. "We must go and we must to this with care" Standing up he would check his gear and begin thinking of what they could do. "I need to know everything about this Shajarian and the lay out of his flat"

Narayan
06-21-2013, 08:11 PM
"Thank you, kind and beautiful Wrona," Achetii said, placing two silver on the counter. "Please don't spread the word."

She waited long enough to receive the berry wine, and then thanked Wrona again before heading to Purusartha's table, trying likely unsuccessfully to attract as little attention as possible. Under her breath in a low warble, she cursed that her name meant 'Colours' in her people's tongue.

Moving through the crowd again, you make your way to Purusartha's corner of the room and finally lay eyes on the the man fitting the description you were given. He is an older Akhenaten man with a beard, and you spot that his eyes are indeed of different colors.

However, you are a bit nervous to approach very closely because at least one of the two men sitting with him frightens you. He's the biggest human you've ever seen, an Ahuran covered in battle scars who could probably break your neck with his bare hands.

The other one seems calmer, but he has a pet wolf which you know can be dangerous so you need to make sure he won't spring at you. (Wild Empathy Check = 16 Success) But after a few moments of sharing eye contact with the wolf you feel like he's ok too.

Purusartha notices you hovering and stands up from his chair raising a hand in greeting to you. "Hello miss? Can't say I'm used to seeing a Keu in here, but you are welcome. Have no fear of my friends or their pet. He'll behave. What can we do for you?" He asks plainly.

Dark Cloaked Figure
06-21-2013, 10:21 PM
Achetii warbled nervously at the sight of the men and the wolf, approaching them with caution.

"Purusartha?" she asked with a timid flutter in her voice. "I hear you have a pet snake who is quite a thing to see."

Upon confirmation that it was really him, she looked to the left, and looked to the right. If she saw no one paying any great attention to her, she would try to slip the message she carried into the sleeve of her cloak, and then in a handshake, slide it into Purusartha's sleeve while saying, "Pleased to meet you." Should be difficult to see, if she did it right. (Dexterity Check = 15)

The feathers on her back and neck were standing upright. She could not wait to be out of this town, out of this kingdom, that was visibly obvious.

Narayan
06-21-2013, 10:57 PM
Purusartha nods when you ask to see his snake, rolling up his sleeve to show you an elaborate tattoo of a snake biting its fangs into his wrist.

"I don't normally disrobe in front of strangers, but if I did you'd see this guy is laid out all the way up my arm, across my shoulders, and down the other arm so when I flex it looks like its moving." He chuckles, reaching out his hand to take yours and smoothly accepting the rolled letter into his sleeve in the process.

Sauel: (Spot = 17 Success) Sauel spots the transfer
Yorick: (Spot = 14 FAIL) Yorick does not spot the transfer

"That was very smooth." Purusartha smiles, pulling out the letter from his sleeve. "You Keu really are talented messengers! Have a seat please miss, I see you have a drink with you... take a minute to relax and enjoy it. I'll just be a minute my friends I need to see what this is all about..." Purusartha says leaning back in his chair and unrolling the letter.

However, the moment his eyes start to scan the writing on the parchment he sits forward in shock. "NO!" He gasps, but ignores anyones questions about whats the matter, he just keeps reading. As soon as he finished his eyes unfocused, his mouth slightly agape as if it was simply too hard to process the news he just read.

Then he looked up at Achetii as if he was seeing her again for the the first time. "The items my friend mentions in this letter. Did he give those to you as well? Do you have them?!"

Dark Cloaked Figure
06-21-2013, 11:05 PM
The Keu chirped in surprise and shock at her contact's sudden exclamation, almost jumping off the floor, her feathers each standing out away from her. Her sun eagle companion took wing until restrained by the larger bird.

"Please, mister Purusartha, I beg you, contain yourself. This is a dangerous place, and I do not wish to attract hostile eyes," she pleaded. She then whispered very, very quietly to him, "I have them, and I would rather they not." She made no attempt to hide her nervousness, not that she could if she wanted to.

rtcvb32
06-21-2013, 11:20 PM
It was interesting seeing the transfer of a small piece of paper to Purusartha, had he suspected there was a black-market or illegal dealings then it simply wouldn't have been his place for multiple reasons. First: he was under Purusartha now; Second: black-market items would be under the Vul's definitions so those could be questionable; Third they were under the watchful eye of likely a few of the local pack, and if they thought Purusartha had something going on that shouldn't be there, they would bring it up; Lastly if it didn't affect him or his own pack in a bad way then it probably wouldn't have mattered to him too much anyways.

For now Sauel tried to make himself not noticeable to give the two of them as much privacy as they could with at least a few other were's nearby, all of which have good hearing. Maybe now would be a good time to order more food, a single bowl of beef stew does not a meal make.

{cost of the food?}

Narayan
06-21-2013, 11:37 PM
Purusartha nodded and spoke in a gentler tone. "I realize the great risk you've taken to come here. I would not endanger your life needlessly I promise you. It may not look it, but this is one of the safer havens in the city. Now please, I need to see if these are the items my friend claims they are." He says gesturing to you, and you hand him over the package, a plain wooden box wrapped in leather tied with cord.

Purusartha's hand actually shakes as he uses his dagger to cut off the cord and unwraps the leather. You see him lift the box, which looks to be heavy, take a deep breath, swallow, and open the box just a crack right in front of his face. Just enough to confirm its contents but not allow anyone else to see what was inside.

His eyes widen, and he hesitates for a long moment, a grin starting to spread across his face. Then he carefully shuts the box and stuffs it into his pack, which he moves directly between his knees. His hands start to shake again and you see beads of sweat on his brow as he nervously brushes his bangs out of his face.

"This changes everything..." He says quietly, almost to himself. Then he looks over at Sauel and Yorick. "She may not look it, but this Keu is the bravest creature I've ever met. I owe her my deepest thanks and gratitude. What's your name brave one?" He asks you.

Dark Cloaked Figure
06-21-2013, 11:57 PM
"Ah-che-TII," she sings out quietly, one syllable after another, the last one rising in pitch. "In my people's speech it means 'Colours'. This with me is Teechee, my good friend," she continues, gesturing with her beak to the gold-colored bird with her.

"However brave you perceive me good mister, I think I feel unsafe in even the safest place of this kingdom. I would greatly enjoy to leave now, before I become a Vul's dinner."

Narayan
06-22-2013, 12:11 AM
"That's a beautiful name, it suites you." Purusartha says. "And you are wise to fear the Vul in their domain. I know they have hunted your kind more than any other. You did an incredibly brave thing coming here, and I understand your eagerness to leave... but let me ask you something Achetii... Do you hate the Vul for a particular reason? Have they hurt you or someone you care about?"

Dark Cloaked Figure
06-22-2013, 12:59 AM
She goes silent for a moment, in which her feathers smooth out a little more. Eventually she speaks.

"Yes... and, yes. I am... the last survivor of my flock." Sorrow drips from every word. She stares at the floor beneath the table, and trembles a moment, before changing the subject.

"I hope what I have brought has helped you. Now good mister if there is nothing further I can do for you, I will begone."

Narayan
06-22-2013, 01:17 AM
"Achetii! Where will you go that the memory of your lost loved one's can't find you? Here, you have a chance to make the Vul pay for their crimes. Out there... you're just another meal." Purusartha says.

"When they write the history of our rebellion, they will say it started with you Achetii... because of what you did today. Joining our cause, or not, won't change that. But if you stay, I promise you, you will have your revenge... I swear it by the memory of my mother, and my sister, murdered by the Vul before my very eyes!"

"I'm not asking you to grab a spear and attack the Vulkyrie Achetii. You can help in other ways, small ways perhaps, but no help, and no risk, is too small in a rebellion such as this. What you did today will not bring back all those killed by the Vul in the last two thousand years... but I promise you this Achetii... it's going to make them regret it!" Purusartha spit those last words out with a venom that makes all of you blink.

Dark Cloaked Figure
06-22-2013, 02:26 AM
Achetii remained tense, her own anxiety feeding off this man's rage, and then relaxed visibly. "If you speak of such things openly, then this place must be a place known to you as being safe to discuss such things."

She considered her words, tilted her head, looked up, and then looked back to the tattooed man, each move a sudden, staccato motion typical of birds.'

"I have no wish to jump into the maw of death, and so I did not want to remain here, where the evil ones rule. But if there is a way to remain here that is perhaps safer than wandering the streets and watching the skies, I would enjoy nothing more than to help you to see the Vul cast down from their high perches and see these skies made safe again. I mean no offense, however speaking truthfully, is there any chance of success? What could I do that would help you?" Though her subject remained grim, her speech began to sweeten, becoming almost as if she was singing it.

She moved a limb awkwardly under the cloak as she worked out a cluster of feathers bent the wrong way by the irritating fabric.

Narayan
06-23-2013, 03:17 AM
Purusartha shrugged in response to Achetii's question and then reached for his cup, draining the rest of his ale before burping happily. "I'm not a young man anymore Achetii, that should tell you something. I've lived this long because I don't have a death wish. If you had asked me yesterday, I would have told you to leave because there was no chance of success. But today... today is entirely different.

You've given me hope where once there was only sadness and bitterness. You know not a day has gone by that I haven't thought about my mother and sister? Their deaths haunt me, but their actual faces were starting to fade from memory because I've been ashamed. Ashamed that I could not act to avenge them.

But now I remember their faces clearly, and I hear their voices in my heart. They tell me, the time for vengeance has finally come after thirty years of waiting!" Purusartha hit his fist on the arm of his chair for emphasis.

"Forgive me... I should be setting a better example by not acting out." He apologized. "And I must explain to each of you what this letter says that gives me hope, but first we must eat something. We have a long day ahead of us!" Purusartha waved over the table maid again and asked for Wrona's finest platter of kebab's, curry and pita bread. He also asked that the ale be sent back because they needed their wits about them, and asked for a pitcher of her uniquely strong spiced chai tea instead.

Once everyone ate, Purusartha sat back in his chair and explained what the letter was about.

__________________________________________________ ____________________________________________

Purusartha,

I hope this letter finds you well, for I will likely be dead by the time you read this.

I know the name of the last direct descendant of King Hamza after all these years. It seems Hamza's heir, Hezek, lived out his life such a long time ago hiding in a remote mountain village beside the valley of Sammara. He took a wife and died from old age, and told no one of his true identity.

However he must have hid and buried his princely trappings before he died because they were found a hundred years later by a village goat herder named Ekiah who also happened to be Hezeks great great grandson. These items included Hezeks royal seal, a jeweled dagger, a jeweled golden crown, and a jeweled golden key.

The young goat herder had no idea what to do with such treasures so he brought them back to show to the village elders. The elders debated at great length and decided they should not keep them. Instead they would give them to a lesser king, king Djoud, of a nearby Sammaran city-state as a gift. Ekiah was sent along to do this.

King Djoud was taken aback by the gifts the villagers had for him. Those few treasures could pay to feed his city and the surrounding province for at least a year. "How did you come by these?!" He asked Ekiah, who explained that they were buried near the village behind his family's home where they kept their goats.

King Djoud was intrigued by the mystery of the buried treasure and he questioned Ekiah at length about his family and his village but of course no explanation about the buried treasure was forthcoming. The only clue Djoud had about who might have buried it was Ekiah's statement about his great-great-grandfather being a stranger from a foreign land.

Djoud took a liking to Ekiah because he had no heirs and insisted that he stay with him at his palace for a while longer as his guest. In the meantime Djoud inspected the treasures more carefully concentrating on the royal seal. The kingdom of Summara was overthrown a hundred years before by the Vul, but Djoud believed the seal might have belonged to one of its nobles.

He made inquiries about Summara and came to the conclusion that his guess was right. He even uncovered the rumor about Hamza's heir, Hezek, going missing during the coup and confirmed the seal belonged to him. And that made him wonder about Ekiah. Djoud was very excited about the possibility that this simple goat herding boy might be the lost-heir to a much larger and wealthier kingdom then his own.

But Djoud had erred when he started asking such specific questions about Summara and King Hamza's lost heir. Word was on its way to the Vulfear, but in the meantime Djoud had no idea what sort of danger he was in. He was drunk on the possibilities of wealth and power Ekiah might be entitled too.

He intended to adopted Ekiah as his heir as soon as possible, sending invitations to the other lesser kings of the valley of Sammara to attend the ceremony. It occurred within a fortnight, a grand event which confused the other kings. Why was Djoud so happy adopting a goat herder as his heir?

Afterwards however, Djoud gathered the other kings together in a secret meeting and informed them of his secret plan to reclaim the Summaran region for himself in the name of his adopted son, who was the true heir to the Summaran throne. He asked for their support, and suggested an alliance, because a war with the Vul would endanger them all.

However, even as the other kings pondered what to do, it was already too late. The Vulfear had already infiltrated Djoud's palace and sprang upon the kings, just as a flight of Vulkyries descended from the night sky like nightmares setting the city aflame and distracting the palace guards.

As heir to Djoud's throne, Ekiah was supposed to defend the city, but it was not in his heart to do so. He knew now why king Djoud had shown him such kindness. It was the same reason all these innocent people would die, for the sake of greed.

A greed that he wanted no part of. He knew the best thing to do for these people would be to go into hiding just as his great-great grandfather had done. The Vulfear would never stop tracking him and they would kill anyone he was known to associate with. To protect everyone he cared for meant he had to disappear. So Ekiah left through a hidden passage, taking his inheritance, his great-great grandfathers treasures with him.

Nothing else about Ekiah's life is known, but he had many descendants and most of them were known to be shrewd about keeping a low profile. Not all of them did however, and over the centuries many were killed by the Vulfear. My own inquiries about them have also doomed me, but the Vulfear were not the only ones listening and following my progress.

Another of Hezeks descendents found me last night and brought me Hezeks treasures. He told me the Vulfear were near and that he must send the treasures someplace they would never expect, the Kingdom of Vulkh itself. I tried to explain who I was, who we are, but there was no time. I hope he did not let himself be captured alive.

He told me the true heirs name was Asher Caldarus, a sky half-dragon, who is already on his way to Masaeus as I write this. It seems Asher was secretly being groomed and trained to lead an uprising without any idea of his true destiny.

Amazing isn't it that the descendents of Hezek have been hiding all this time without any knowledge of us? And yet, have still had the same plans and goals as we have! It is a shame our first meeting took so very long to transpire. I pray it will not be the last. But that depends on you, you must find Asher Caldarus and give him these treasures. He is the only one who can use them to destroy the Vul and free the Summaran people!
__________________________________________________ ____________________________________________

"So you see everyone, it is imperative that we find Asher Caldarus. He is the true descendent of prince Hezek, which makes him the rightful ruler of this realm. Two thousand years ago, King Hamza was so hated that even a Vul was able to seize power because to most Summarans he looked like the lesser of two evils. It is unfortunate about the timing of that coup, because that never would have happened if Hezek was king. He was nothing his like father, much beloved and much gentler, he just never had the chance to show the people the kind of man he was, or the king of king he would have been.

Before he fled the kingdom, Hezek was making a lot of friends. He was in the early stages of planning his own coup. That's the only reason why his name wasn't lost to history and there are those of us still who care about his lineage. There's a lot more to tell about Hezek, and the significance of his treasures, but right now, all that matters is that Asher could be the figurehead for this rebellion. Someone the people can rally around. But before that can happen, we must find him... thankfully we do not have far to look since he is supposedly in the city already.

Now I know each of you probably have doubts about this, and a great deal of questions. Remember, I didn't ask for any of you to be here with me anymore than you did. Fate it seems, has brought us together, and given us this chance of doing something truly courageous...and I for one will not spit in the eye of providence. So, will we join hands as comrades in arms?" Purusartha asks, holding out his hands to show he was not speaking metaphorically.

rtcvb32
06-23-2013, 04:30 AM
Pita bread, also known as 'pocket bread', it was called that because when it was cooked and was flat like a pancake instead made a big bubble on the inside of it, then you could cut or break it in half and use it sorta as breading for a sandwich, except much less messy. When he wasn't using his hands directly he had his trusty pair of chop-sticks letting him work with surprising dexterity and speed that you wouldn't expect, the only thing he couldn't handle well with them happened to be liquid, so tomato soup was out with them.

After a good meal and feeling considerably better, not to mention slipping a few choice meats to Rabi who was very very appreciative of more meat, thankfully he wasn't begging for scraps like a little puppy or making a pest of himself and after his portion was delivered to him he happily settled down.


The letter was of some interest, who knew this Asher Caldarus was the heir to the throne and could hopefully turn the Vul away and make the land a bit safer than it already was. This was a matter he couldn't idly let go, no a balance in the world needed restoring and the prospect made him nod agree wholeheartedly to Purusartha. Although Sauel had only met Purusartha, he could tell he was a good man, and meant every word he spoke, and felt he could trust him. Sauel reached forward placing his hand on top of Purusartha's "I'll join arms with you, Me and Rabi both". Would the remainder of strangers who happened to meet today also join together? He didn't expect the Keu girl to, but Yorick was aimless and needed direction and time.

asher dragoone
06-23-2013, 02:09 PM
Standing up he would look at Tix for a moment and then close his eyes. "Rest a little while longer Tix then we will leave for your friend's flat" Looking around he would find the older lady who had helped heal the rhat and would approach her. "greetings divine one might I inquire if there are any blessings your goddess can grant us? I mean to deal with the ones who have hurt my new friend and they are in themselves nefarious and work for a dark god....any blessing we could receive would be of help in this quest of ours" He kept his tone to a humble sounding tone.

Executive Spike
06-23-2013, 05:39 PM
Yorick: "You already know my answer. I'm following you for now Purusartha, of course I'm in." He says putting on a bone necklace, 11 small plates with different symbols on each, the center one being a wolf. "As long as I wear this. I'm both a follower and a freeman. After all this is said and done... I'll decide on staying with you all or restarting my clan, I DO have my own bone to pick." Eyeing the mark on his neck. "Question is where will we start?" Looking back at them with a eyebrow raised, asking curiously.

Narayan
06-23-2013, 06:12 PM
"First we must find Asher and go to ground. We'll need a safe house to make proper plans and preparations. Someplace private where we won't be seen together and draw attention. Thankfully I have many friends in this city and I know of such a place. But for now, lets not waste another moment making plans without Asher." Purusartha says standing.

"Sauel and Yorick, you will accompany me as part of your training. Achetii, unfortunately you are a bit slow on your feet and you may draw attention to us simply because you are a Keu. I will give word to Wrona that you will be staying here as my guest, I'm sure Wrona would be delighted if you can use your pretty voice to entertain her customers."

"Keep your eyes and ears open, consider this a test... figure out what's different about Wrona and the nature of this tavern? But have no fear, Wrona and others like us are not the enemy. Keep that in mind." Purusartha says with a wink. "After we have secured the safe house later today I will send for you."

And with that, Purusartha swings his pack over his shoulder, grabs his bow where he propped it up against the wall and steps over to the kitchen, sharing a few words with Wrona before he leads Sauel and Yorick out into the streets.

Executive Spike
06-23-2013, 06:26 PM
Yorick: Getting up from the chair he follows Purusartha out, putting back on his cowl and keeping watch of the area. "I trust you already have a plan for the safe house?" Saying quietly trying to not attract attention, though hard enough considering his massive size as it is.

rtcvb32
06-23-2013, 07:13 PM
"Come on Rabi, time to go..." Sauel told his companion, standing up and reaching high above his head as he stretches waking his muscles up, and momentarily has to steady himself as his blood pressure increases. Being a lycanthrope didn't change the fact that he was still relatively human, and wasn't immune to normal problems (like your foot falling asleep on you).

Rabi was ready to go, and taking hold of the leash loosely he followed the two, taking note of the Keu a few moments longer, he doubted there would be even one or two more keu in the entire city, he would memorize her color patterns later when they weren't in a hurry.

Coming out to the near noon-ish city felt a little more daunting than he'd of liked, brighter than the forests as the trees would block all the direct light and give you indirect light in return, no here in the city the light bounced freely from wall to wall, and was especially bright where the sun directly hit the stonework and the windows. More than one he had to avert his eyes, more sensitive than regular humans.

For now they just needed to blend in and try not to get certain avians from taking notice of them. Rabi being as full as he can be comfortably meant that he would be about as relaxed as he could be. He 'heeled' rabi keeping him close. He'd feel much safer with Rabi's leash gone and in the forests again. Maybe that would be soon, if not he would likely bring more attention to himself over time simply by having the wolf, and leaving him outside the city walls on his own felt like abandoning him. What to do....

Narayan
06-23-2013, 07:28 PM
As you move out of the neighborhood where the Tavern of Endless Thirst is, you notice a pale-faced, broad-chested, bearded man and a street urchin round a corner in the street ahead of you. The Akhenaten boy stops in his tracks and raises his finger towards Purusartha. "There he is!" he says and raises his hand in a wave.

Purusartha very smoothly raises his hand and waves back but he stops moving and whispers to Sauel and Yorick ...

"...That boy is a friend but I do not know that man. Be on your guard, if we get separated, head back to the Tavern and do whatever Wrona says."

(What do you do?)

shadovar
06-23-2013, 07:44 PM
Ivar Stands 5'6", weighing 168 lbs. Putting him a tad on the thin side for a half-dwarf. He does not appear to be physically bulky with muscle, but you'd guess his stamina and consitution were excellent by his air of energy and vigor. He's heavily bearded, with dark brown eyes of keen intelligence. He is dressed in billowy Dwarven merchants garb of fine make in layers of black and grey. Two silver signet rings lay upon his hands and a emerald pendant rests upon a shining shirt of mail.

A beautiful masterwork iron buckler is strapped to his right arm, bearing his family crest in raised silver filigree. A very fine masterwork dwarven war axe hangs from his belt too his left, with a trio of crossbow bolts in a thigh quiver on the opposite side.

Upon closer inspection you see runic tattoos spread across his skin everywhere except his face. He has long Copper toned hair in a thick braid with a two foot long beard to match.

Upon Seeing the boy point out Purusartha Ivar checks up and down the street before stepping forward and in hush tones speaks "Purusartha, I have news from thine Kin. News that I believe you should take in private." He once again looks nervously up and down the street before looking to the skies for shadows before coughing dryly from all the road dust. He looks at them and tries to gauge their reactions. (roll of 4 -_-")

rtcvb32
06-23-2013, 07:55 PM
Sauel looks at the boy and studies him a moment {Sense motive:21} He didn't seem to be up to anything treacherous. He raised his eyebrows, Purusartha is definitely quite popular today. {Bluff for Ivar: 6} As far as this new character can see is curiosity and mild indifference, or that's about as much as can be guessed.

"Up to you.." he says to Purusartha. Sauel really was for now just playing 'follow the leader'.

Narayan
06-23-2013, 08:10 PM
Purusartha looks very carefully at Ivars face when he speaks... (Sense Motive = 20) ...but he does not feel the stranger is lying at this time.

"News from my kin you say? And who would this person be?" He asks Ivar simply.

shadovar
06-23-2013, 08:17 PM
Ivar looks to Purusartha and sighs deeply. He reaches into a pocket and draws out a small envelope and holds it up. "In his words, your father, but once again this is private and needs be off the street for any take note. Death surly rides in my wake for those who do not head caution."

Narayan
06-23-2013, 08:22 PM
"My father?..." Purusartha seems a bit taken aback by that statement. "Run along now boy..." Purusartha tells the urchin placing some coins in his hand. "...Did this man claiming to be my father give you this message personally?" He asks Ivar, still not reaching for the message. "...What was this mans name?" He adds. "And where did you meet him?"

shadovar
06-23-2013, 08:30 PM
Ivar huffs out drawn breath and narrows his eye as he shakes his head. "Do you not hear my words? Who knows who could be watching. Too much Goldendrake lay between his name and my memory but he lived by the banks of the Arosis. Now I will say no more till we are hidden from the sky Manling." His tone becomes ever more so angry and begins to thicken with a dwarven accent.

Narayan
06-23-2013, 08:44 PM
Purusartha looks skeptical. "You look nervous, why do you fear the Vul are watching you? I mean you no disrespect sir, but I am very busy right now, and I highly doubt any message from whoever is claiming to be my father will change that. But please, I promise I will take time to hear what you have to say as soon as I can. Head that direction {jabs a thumb behind him} and you will find the Tavern of Endless Thirst. Tell the lady in the kitchens that you are waiting for me, and she will see that you are comfortable. Here, take a gold piece for your time..."

Purusartha flicks a golden coin up in the air where Ivar can grab it, stepping around him in the process.

(What do you do?)

shadovar
06-23-2013, 08:57 PM
Ivar his wrath rising watches the coin fly up into the air and land on the cobbled road. He then speaks with short thought and a sharp tounge. "Oh I will tell you why I fear them. I fear them for the spear that they drove through your fathers back, but so be it his death wish will just have to wait for you to be less Busy."
He then stomps off towards the tavern Purusartha mentioned, his 4 day march to deliver this message leaving him with but a terrible ache in his head and pangs of hunger in his stomach.

Narayan
06-23-2013, 09:06 PM
Ivar his wrath rising watches the coin fly up into the air and land on the cobbled road. He then speaks with short thought and a sharp tounge. "Oh I will tell you why I fear them. I fear them for the spear that they drove through your fathers back, but so be it his death wish will just have to wait for you to be less Busy."
He then stomps off towards the tavern Purusartha mentioned, his 4 day march to deliver this message leaving him with but a terrible ache in his head and pangs of hunger in his stomach.

Purusartha stops in his tracks and spins on his heel at Ivars statement.

"Wait!... You're telling me my father is dead?" Pursartha asks Ivar incredulously.

shadovar
06-23-2013, 09:19 PM
Ivar slows his step a bit for turning. He looks hard at the man before speaking. "If you be the man I was sent to, and he who sent me be being your father then yes, but I won't be standing out here no more." He turns once more to head towards the Tavern of Endless Thirst. "If it must wait it will wait. Just be making sure you get back for someone else gets to me" he says with a fearful chuckle.

Narayan
06-23-2013, 09:36 PM
Ivar slows his step a bit for turning. He looks hard at the man before speaking. "If you be the man I was sent to, and he who sent me be being your father then yes, but I won't be standing out here no more." He turns once more to head towards the Tavern of Endless Thirst. "If it must wait it will wait. Just be making sure you get back for someone else gets to me" he says with a fearful chuckle.

Purusartha stands for a moment, watching Ivars back, and then looks to Sauel. "Sauel. Go keep him company. Find out what you can about him. If you get the feeling he cannot be trusted, tell Wrona. Do not tell him anything incriminating."

Sauel: (Sense Motive towards Purusartha = 21) You get the feeling that Purusartha is deeply distraught by this news about his father, but rather than breaking down he is channeling his distress on the task at hand.

Purusartha gestures to Yorick. "Come Yorick!" He says, and walks away more briskly this time.

Yorick: (Sense Motive towards Purusartha = 7) Having just met Purusartha, you can't tell that his seemingly nervous energy is uncharacteristic of this particular man and actually indicates something else.

rtcvb32
06-23-2013, 09:44 PM
Sauel frowns but nods, he really didn't want to be back indoors, but it would simplify taking care of Rabi, and this stranger although not immediately dangerous seemed like he was too... agitated to be left alone, to think that Purusartha didn't care, no it was apparent he was agitated and maybe even his aura was more noticeable (not enough for people to take note anyways).

Sauel picks up the discarded gold coin, then follows Ivar, quickly arriving at the tavern of endless thirst... Again... At least he wouldn't have to worry about possible Vul watching.

"Regardless of importance, only one thing can be handled at a time. It is... sad news you bring."

Back indoors, the scent of food, spices, the look of new people having come and gone for food rather than the same old people (Mmm if they were, could be illusions?). "Come on now, let's get you something to eat and drink, I can only guess how long you've been on the road..."

shadovar
06-23-2013, 09:52 PM
Once Ivar is within the tavern his ire cools somewhat as his fears of being discovered diminish some with that encounter over and a weariness begins to sink in. He moves to a quiet corner of the room and orders something earthy and rich to drink and the most expensive meat on the menu. (how much does a fine meal cost here?)

shadovar
06-23-2013, 10:09 PM
"Four days is not so long compared to other journeys but other journeys weren't spent alone with no food and a fear of death at any moment." Ivar says rufully.

rtcvb32
06-23-2013, 10:21 PM
"Sounds rough..." Sauel muttered. His own pack experiences told him something similar, not directly but through stories of changing Alphas, or being targeted from other packs from one reason or another. A thought occurred to Sauel as he turned to take a slightly closer look at his companion. ".. Alone? Why alone?" A simple messenger might do it but they wouldn't have seen what Ivar had seen, it seemed something more personal for some reason than just a delivery job.

"If you care to talk about it..."

Narayan
06-23-2013, 10:31 PM
http://i1345.photobucket.com/albums/p662/crowsontheskulls/World%20of%20Sion/Maps/th_MapofSionEasternHemisphere.png (http://s1345.photobucket.com/user/crowsontheskulls/media/World%20of%20Sion/Maps/MapofSionEasternHemisphere.png.html) http://i1345.photobucket.com/albums/p662/crowsontheskulls/World%20of%20Sion/Maps/th_OverlandMapofKingdomofVulkh_zps06c08861.png (http://s1345.photobucket.com/user/crowsontheskulls/media/World%20of%20Sion/Maps/OverlandMapofKingdomofVulkh_zps06c08861.png.html) http://i1345.photobucket.com/albums/p662/crowsontheskulls/World%20of%20Sion/Places/th_OverheadmapCityofMasaeusBWScene2.jpg (http://s1345.photobucket.com/user/crowsontheskulls/media/World%20of%20Sion/Places/OverheadmapCityofMasaeusBWScene2.jpg.html)

Continent of Akhenaten - Kingdom of Vulkh - 500th Year of the 3rd Age
Afternoon of April 9th - City of Masaeus

Purusartha: (Gather information check = 9 FAIL) Purusartha moves through the city like a prowling... wolf... sniffing up on leeds about anyone matching Asher's vague description. However, early on it does not seem he is doing so well, until he realizes it's his own tense energy that is putting people off about answering his questions. Purusartha takes a minute to relax and refocus (Concentration check = 14 Success).

After that, he takes his time with the questioning (Gather Information Check, Taking 10 = 17 Success) and the ease by which he tracks him after that is rather disconcerting. Purusartha and Yorick end up approaching the Shrine where Asher is standing with Tix at the same moment that Asher is asking for a blessing from the priestess.

Purusartha: (Spot Check = 22 WIN)
Yorick: (Spot Check = 15 WIN)
Asher: (Spot Check = 14 FAIL)
Tix: (Spot Check = 3 FAIL)

Purusartha ends up spotting Asher first, and he gently grabs Yorick's arm and gestures with his head rather than pointing. Neither Asher or Tix spot Purusartha or Yorick noticing them.

"That must be him over there... talking to that priestess of Wa'ef." Purusartha says looking about very slowly and carefully. "Doesn't look like a trap to me." He whispers. "Hang back though Yorick, If I need you I'll whistle and you come running." He says, nonchalantly moving over to Ashers side in a fashion that does not make it obvious that he's approaching them.

Purusartha (Hide Check = 11 FAIL)
Asher (Spot Check = 22 Success)
Tix (Spot Check = 3 FAIL)

However, Ashers sense of awareness is better then Purusartha expected and he only gets within 30ft of him before Asher notices his approach.

(What do you do Asher)

asher dragoone
06-23-2013, 10:46 PM
Continued speaking with the priestess until he catches a figure approaching him. He did not like when people approached him when there was a crowd, it meant they were after him specifically. He would keep up the appearance that he was not aware of the man's approach and would await the priestess' reply as he did so. Not that a blessing of a god meant much to him, but any aid even from the divine was welcome on his quest. When Puru gets close enough he wouldn't look, but simply say. "What do you need of me?"

Narayan
06-23-2013, 11:06 PM
Continued speaking with the priestess until he catches a figure approaching him. He did not like when people approached him when there was a crowd, it meant they were after him specifically. He would keep up the appearance that he was not aware of the man's approach and would await the priestess' reply as he did so. Not that a blessing of a god meant much to him, but any aid even from the divine was welcome on his quest. When Puru gets close enough he wouldn't look, but simply say. "What do you need of me?"

Purusartha keeps his hands open and clasps them together before him in the Akhenaten gesture of respect.

"You do not know me sir, but I am aware of who you are, and I have been waiting for you to make your way into this land. This kingdom that is your rightful home. May I introduce myself?" Purusartha asks politely.

asher dragoone
06-23-2013, 11:27 PM
Would arch an eyebrow at the gesture of respect before the stranger spoke. Then his eyes narrowed on him as he was told that he knew who he was. At this moment he wanted to strike the man down, but this urge left him when he said 'your rightful home'. After he asked if he could introduce himself only then did he return the gesture of respect. "You may"

Narayan
06-24-2013, 02:49 PM
Would arch an eyebrow at the gesture of respect before the stranger spoke. Then his eyes narrowed on him as he was told that he knew who he was. At this moment he wanted to strike the man down, but this urge left him when he said 'your rightful home'. After he asked if he could introduce himself only then did he return the gesture of respect. "You may"

"Thank you." Purusartha said bowing his head. "My name is Purusartha, I am a ranger among other things... I came to find you because I received a letter today telling me that you would be arriving in this city. It informs me that your name is Asher Caldarus and describes you as a half Akhenaten, half sky dragon, so I do not believe I am mistaken about your identity. I have this letter with me if you wish to see it with your own eyes?" Purusartha asks humbly.

asher dragoone
06-24-2013, 03:02 PM
Hands snap to Puru's mouth as he utters his name. "shhh do not say my name aloud" Looks around and then looks to Tix. "on your feet Tix we will be leaving here in a minute" Then he would look back towards the man. "and I would wish to see this letter and then I would see it destroyed, we cannot have such information written or else I am a dead man"

Narayan
06-24-2013, 03:09 PM
Purusartha nods again. "Apologies! I just wanted you to be sure that I knew who you are. I would also say that I am not your enemy, and if you permit it, I would take us to a safe place where we can talk in private? ...Ah I see you have already made a friend?" Purusartha says looking down at Tix. "I also brought accompaniment, that hulking man in the crowd over there is with me."

asher dragoone
06-24-2013, 03:21 PM
Simply nods accepting the apologies as it comes. "We do not have time to rest" Looks to Tix for a moment. "It seems a dark cult of Vermithrax has it's eyes on my friend's friend Shajarian's flat as well as his hidden magical items" This last part was said in his customary whisper. "I will not allow them to grow any further" His tone was that of steel and commitment. "If you say you are a friend then will you join me?" In his thoughts he couldn't help but think. 'So the goddess did send some help...or was it all coincidence...'

Narayan
06-24-2013, 03:32 PM
Purusartha pursed his lips in thought. "I will aid you in whatever way I can. But I would warn you. The cult of Vermithrax is known to me..." Purusartha says spitting on the ground. "...And they are not to be underestimated. You say this Shajarian is this rhats friend? Forgive me for suggesting this..." He says in a whisper this time. "...but rhats are known to be minions of Vermithrax. How long have you known this one? He could be one of them, luring you into a trap!"

asher dragoone
06-24-2013, 03:43 PM
Crosses his arms and sighs. "I saved his life when it was near death from a particularly nasty black rhat" His eyes gaze over the shrine and just keeps his senses about him. "He has also sworn himself to me and my goals and if it is a trap I will trigger it before I get there"

Narayan
06-24-2013, 04:00 PM
Purusartha nods. "Apologies, if you trust this rhat than so shall I. My friend over there will be helpful, {He says gesturing to Yorick} and if you think we have time, I can summon more friends elsewhere in the city to our side? ...Though I hesitate at the prospect of battling in the streets, it will draw attention we may not be ready for..."

He sighs. "There are risks either way. Either we run the risk of attracting attention by involving a large group to protect ourselves, or we use a small group to avoid attention, but run the risk of not having enough strength to defeat our enemies? I suppose the pertinent question would be, who are we expecting to fight? And what do we know about them?"

asher dragoone
06-24-2013, 04:14 PM
Picks his bag off the ground where Tix was previously laying and shrugs it over his shoulder. "What I expect is a bunch of rhats, but what fate expects will be more so" Looks to Tix. "Speaking of which Tix who else may we be expecting where we're going?" His mind was already thinking of stratagems.

Narayan
06-24-2013, 04:55 PM
Tix moves over to your side, sniffing at Purusartha. (Survival Check to Smell anything unusual, DC 22 for Purusartha, = 8 FAIL) Sensing nothing unusual, he speaks up with his usual squeaky voice. "The black rhat who attacked me is named Pithis, he is very dangerous, but also cowardly. He won't attack unless he feels cornered or else certain of victory. However, his master Kasha, the female wererat, is another matter. She is evil, and capable of anything!

If she hears about Ash... my master... from Pithis, and likely she has because he would have to explain why he failed to kill me, she may take an interest in eliminating him as a potential enemy. And of course, she won't be happy until I am dead regardless. I know too much as far as she's concerned... and she'll assume I could have spoke to anyone around me which puts you all in danger as well. I am sorry master!" He squeaks.

Purusartha cringes... "That is bad news. Kasha is not an enemy I would want to have. Any chance Pithis hasn't had a chance to report to her yet?" Purusartha asks Tix.

Tix shrugs. "I do not know. We last saw him about a half hour ago. If I were him, I would have gone to see her directly after he and the others were chased away by my master. He'd have to do that to cover his own ass. Her reaction would likely be to give him a good scolding, but tell him to finish his mission, which was to search my former master Shajarians flat for his cache of magic items. That's likely where he is headed as we speak which is why I think we must hurry!"

Purusartha nods. "I see, so your former master was a mage of some sort?" Tix nods. "Ah, well, that explains the urgency than. I cache of magic items is not something we want to fall into their hands... but they could prove very valuable to our cause." He says to Asher with a certain look. "We do not have a moment to loose than!" He says steering you over to where Yorick is standing at the edge of the crowd.

"Yorick." Purusartha says. "I'd like you to introduce you to two new friends of mine, Ash and Tix. Were going to help them recover some important things before some nasty rhats can get their hands on them. Stay close and be prepared to spill blood!" He says with a wink.

asher dragoone
06-24-2013, 05:32 PM
Would regard the new comer with a weary eye and would look him over. Backing away he would also take stalk of both Tix and Purusartha. "Let this be done then, Tix if you would lead the way"

Executive Spike
06-24-2013, 05:33 PM
Yorick: "Ah, finally something I can be of use to." He says happily, readying his weapon "It shouldn't be too much of a problem." Unveiling his cowl revealing his face to the two newcomers "So this is him eh? Hope we're putting our trust in the right person Puru." He says looking over Ash and guessing what he's capable of. "Never met a half before... should be interesting." Offering a handshake to Asher and smiling, looking down at him and moving slightly to hide the mark on his neck. "It's a pleasure to meet you friend, name's Yorick."

Turning to Purusartha he asks "So, which way is the flat? I don't wanna waste time and give them a chance of getting the stash."

asher dragoone
06-24-2013, 05:59 PM
Will continue to look at the stranger. "I do not ask that you put faith in me, you do so at your own risk" He would not be so quick to remove his own cowl and hood, a matter of fact he wouldn't even move to do so. His eyes would wonder down to the outstretched hand and wouldn't move to shake, since he didn't know what Yorick was doing. "and do not refer to me as a 'half' it is quite an insult and mind you even 'half' a dragon is dangerous" It sounded harsh but he did not need to make friends with someone who might just die in a few minutes.

Narayan
06-24-2013, 06:43 PM
Tix leads you through the city to the neighborhood where Shajarians flat can be found, but as you draw near he casts Disguise Self on himself to appear as a gnome. [Duration 10 mins] "They'll be on the lookout for me, this way we can probably get closer without being spotted." He says. As you round a street corner he points Shajarians flat out as the top floor of a three story building at the end of the street, abutted against the city wall.

Rhat: (Hide = Take 20)

Asher: (Spot = 15)
Purusartha: (Spot = 7 FUMBLE)
Tix: (Spot = 11)
Yorick: (Spot = 23) You spot a lone Rhat lurking in the shadows of a doorway about 100ft away, halfway towards the building watching the street. Probably the lookout that Tix warned you about. (What do you do?)

Executive Spike
06-24-2013, 07:10 PM
Yorick: Whispering to Purusartha "We're being watched... about halfway towards the building, guess 100ft distance from us... shall we make our presence known?" He says with a slight grin looking around the area for any other threats hidden (Spot Check = 9 (probs fail for finding others))

shadovar
06-24-2013, 07:11 PM
Ivar looks to Sauel as he eats. "And what would you be wanting to speak about?

Narayan
06-24-2013, 07:19 PM
"Ah, good eyes Yorick!" Purusartha whispers back and informs Asher. "What would you have us do?" He asks.

asher dragoone
06-24-2013, 07:28 PM
Turns around a corner out of sight of the would be look out. "Preferably we should either take the look out fast and noiselessly if possible so not to draw attention or navigate around him entirely cause if he does not report back it will be suspicious" Closing his eyes he would take a minute to think things through. He did not want to make his presence more known then it was and spilling blood on the street would do that more or less. "question is can we take him without causing a commotion?"

rtcvb32
06-24-2013, 07:30 PM
"Well, how about where you come from? What you like to do? What your trade is?" Sauel didn't want to get too involved and feel like he was prodding too much, and wasn't too good about making much conversation. There was pack business, his personal experiences with animals and working with them, there was making sure the forests didn't fall prey to some evil necromancer or something, but beyond those things he wasn't usually around a lot of company, truthfully being in the tavern around so much noise and people once again was leaving him... unnerved at worst.

Sauel kept a look out to see if he could see that beautiful avian keu, perhaps he would talk with her later... If she wasn't around it was possible Wrona gave her a place to take as shelter till nightfall, perhaps a back room or a room upstairs assuming there was one.

Narayan
06-24-2013, 07:44 PM
Turns around a corner out of sight of the would be look out. "Preferably we should either take the look out fast and noiselessly if possible so not to draw attention or navigate around him entirely cause if he does not report back it will be suspicious" Closing his eyes he would take a minute to think things through. He did not want to make his presence more known then it was and spilling blood on the street would do that more or less. "question is can we take him without causing a commotion?"

"Let me put him to sleep master?!" Tix says eagerly. "I have a spell, we're within range right now!"

asher dragoone
06-24-2013, 07:48 PM
Looks down to his little friend and smiles beneath his cowl. That was actually a genius idea, it would let them sneak by and if the rhat's friends came along he would get caught sleeping on the job. "That is a good plan, take your time and see if you can put him to sleep if not and he because aware of us Puru and Yorick I trust you can take him down before he starts screaming his head off"

Narayan
06-24-2013, 07:55 PM
Looks down to his little friend and smiles beneath his cowl. That was actually a genius idea, it would let them sneak by and if the rhat's friends came along he would get caught sleeping on the job. "That is a good plan, take your time and see if you can put him to sleep if not and he because aware of us Puru and Yorick I trust you can take him down before he starts screaming his head off"

"He won't sleep for very long master, only about a minute. But during that time if we hurry by him, he won't even realize we passed him." Tix said preparing to cast his spell.

"Might be smarter to just cut his throat when we have the chance." Purusartha says. "If we let him live and he realizes were attacking his friends, he could run off and fetch reinforcements. What would you prefer we did with the lookout?" Purusartha asks Asher.

asher dragoone
06-24-2013, 09:08 PM
Takes almost no time to reply as he begins walking. "cut his throat and make it quick" Purusartha was correct, he couldn't afford to let him live any more than he could allow his identity to get out. "then we'll make swift pace to the flat, keep your eyes open for other watchers"

Executive Spike
06-24-2013, 09:16 PM
Yorick: "Might I suggest hiding or disposing the body as well? Could help prevent reinforcements if they don't find a dead lookout."

Narayan
06-24-2013, 09:33 PM
Tix lifted his fingers, still looking like a gnome, and cast his spell on the rhat lookout down the street.

Rhat: (Will Saving Throw vs. Sleep DC 14 = 3 FAIL) The rhat's eyes seem to get heavy, and his head droops forward where he sits... fast asleep. Purusartha waste's no time and strolls over. He is careful about concealing the actual act of cutting the rhats throat from passerby's, but you can see it in his face that it is done when he walks back to Asher and the others. "It is done, and I see no other lookouts. Let us make our way into the building.

Tix, what can you tell us about the interior?" He asks the white rhat beside Asher.

Tix replied, "There is a central stairwell leading up to the upper floors. Shajarians flat is the doorway on the right on the third floor. There are balconies on either side of the building also, but they are locked from the inside by metal gates, and no guarantee the rhats will have it open. Nevertheless, that is the only other entryway in or out of the flat besides the front door.

His flat itself has 3 rooms plus a toilet. A bedroom, a common room/kitchen, and a study. Shajarian was not much for keeping company, so the common room served as his laboratory, with lots of shelves, worktables, and cages hanging from the rafters with chains. During the day like this, he'd normally keep the windows open for the natural light... but if you notice they're closed. They must've closed them when they killed Shajarian, and I didn't open them again after I found him. I just fled..." He said, clearing his throat because the memory was so upsetting.

asher dragoone
06-24-2013, 09:43 PM
Thinks about a plan as they make there way to the building that held Shajarian's flat. Two choices of entrances and only one was certain. "If we knew that gate was open I could get up there and throw a rope down so that we could have an element of surprise to those inside, but in this situation that way is unknown to us so we must prepare for going in through the front door...both entrances have their flaws and advantages" He took a cursory glance to Tix then to Purusartha and Yorick. "We also don't know if they're on look out for Tix as his condition might still be unknown to them so they may just be on the look out for other casual visitors of Shajarian and not us"

Executive Spike
06-24-2013, 10:03 PM
Yorick: "Hmm... I do have an idea but I don't know if it'll be wise since it would be splitting the group. We could have one group go up and see about getting through the gates or a window while the other creates a distraction in the front part of the area. Could get most of the force at the front area and let the group above go in with a easier time. I only see the downfall being split groups so we could be easily overwhelmed from one side."

asher dragoone
06-24-2013, 10:15 PM
Took a moment to think on this and just shook his head. "While the idea in itself is sound, splitting us up may do more harm than help" No splitting up really wouldn't help them. "what do you think Purusartha?" He says the man's name in a whisper.

Narayan
06-24-2013, 10:25 PM
Took a moment to think on this and just shook his head. "While the idea in itself is sound, splitting us up may do more harm than help" No splitting up really wouldn't help them. "what do you think Purusartha?" He says the man's name in a whisper.

"One of us, especially Tix, might be able to slip onto the balcony unnoticed, but not all of us. And even if the gate is open one of us won't be able to do much harm by themselves. If we stay together, we can at least do a better job of watching each others backs." Purusartha says.

asher dragoone
06-24-2013, 10:34 PM
Could only nod in agreement. "Then let us make haste, the longer we speak the sooner they will notice their watch is missing" Hopefully they could catch their enemy in the flat and not outside it.

Narayan
06-24-2013, 10:39 PM
Could only nod in agreement. "Then let us make haste, the longer we speak the sooner they will notice their watch is missing" Hopefully they could catch their enemy in the flat and not outside it.

You enter the building, but before you make your way up the central stairwell what is your marching order gonna be? Do you head up all together or do you send someone up alone first?

asher dragoone
06-24-2013, 10:49 PM
Looks to the stairs well then back to the rest of those that were with him. "If you think you can get up there for a look Tix without being seen do so, If not..." Looks to Yorick. "You look like you are thirsty for battle, if he cannot and even if he can you will take point into the room" Then motions to Puru and Tix. "followed by myself then Purusartha and Tix follows us in last. He and I will more than likely be their primary targets since we interfered.

Executive Spike
06-24-2013, 11:02 PM
Yorick: "You'd be right on thirsty for battle... I'll keep ya safe don't worry about them." He began making his way to the door, his weapon and net ready and donned his helmet "Tell me when and I'll begin my work, assuming we arnt planning for stealth" He waited at the door for the others, a smile on his face as he planned his entry.

Narayan
06-24-2013, 11:17 PM
Yorick: "You'd be right on thirsty for battle... I'll keep ya safe don't worry about them." He began making his way to the door, his weapon and net ready and donned his helmet "Tell me when and I'll begin my work, assuming we arnt planning for stealth" He waited at the door for the others, a smile on his face as he planned his entry.

Rhat: (Spot = 1)

Yorick: (Spot = 17) As you make your way up the stairwell, you notice a rhat on the landing of the 3rd floor stairwell who is supposed to be watching those who come up the stairs. Instead however, he is gnawing on a bit of dried meat, which is lucky for you because he doesn't look up in time to sound an alarm. (You get one surprise attack against this rhat Yorick.) He is wearing leather armor, with a loaded crossbow sitting beside him, a short sword still in its scabbard on his belt.

Executive Spike
06-24-2013, 11:39 PM
Yorick: Noticing the distracted rhat he quickly thrusts the trident at the creature (Attack roll: 22. Location: 8 (right leg)) And hits perfectly, (damage roll: 11!) disabling the now unconscious rhat and letting him bleed out, moving him out of the way with his foot and pulling the blades out.

asher dragoone
06-24-2013, 11:51 PM
Pauses at the door and puts his hear to the door (Listen Roll: 12). With his hand he would motion for Yorick to stand on the other side of the door. Then he would check to see if the door was locked. If it was he would try to pick it (Open Lock Result: 17) If that was successful he would then motion for Yorick to go in. If the door was not locked he would let Yorick go in and follow after.

Narayan
06-26-2013, 06:28 PM
As you press your ear against the door Asher, you hear voices inside, hard to make out how many but at least a few... you think you hear the high pitched voices of Rhats and a person. The door is unlocked, and you gesture for Yorick to enter first, as you ready to push open the door. However, Purusartha shakes his head and readies his bow.

"I could loose 3 arrows at whoever's inside by the time Yorick gets a chance to attack anyone. Let me fire my arrows first, than Yorick can charge in afterwards. That's the surest way to do the most damage while we have the element of surprise!" Purusartha whispers.

asher dragoone
06-26-2013, 06:33 PM
Simply nods and motions for Yorick to back away, he himself would crouch lower to the ground and next to the door. His sword was at the read and he would be ready to go in after Yorick. He held up three fingers, then one and pointed towards the door, a sign for him to prepare and fire his shots.

Narayan
06-27-2013, 06:51 PM
Asher when the door opens you see a long common room/kitchen, used as a magical laboratory as Tix described with tables and such. However, it is in dissaray, as an Akhenaten man and two rhats are busy ransacking it. The Akhenaten man appears to be in his late twenties, 5'8" or so, medium build, wearing brown robe over studded leather armor. He carries no visible weapons.


You also see, four other doors leading from this room, the gate on the far wall for the balcony, the far door on the right for the study, the door to the bedroom to the near right, and the door to the bath on the near left.
Purusartha wastes no time, and fires his 3 arrows. [Has rapid shot] One at the Akhenaten man, and at each rhat. [The Akhenaten man has partial cover from a worktable at the center of the room however giving him a +2 to his AC. ]


Purusartha: (Attack roll with compound bow d20+8 => 3 + 8 = 11) His first arrow misses the akhenaten man! His 2nd arrow goes for the rhat on the left.(Attack roll with compound bow d20+8 => 16 + 8 = 24, Hit)(location roll...1d20 => 8, right leg)(damage... d8+3 => 4 + 3 = 7) The rhat squeels in agony, and collapses from the shock unconscious. His third arrow goes toward the rhat on the right.(Attack roll with compound bow 1d20+3 => 17 + 3 = 20, Hit)(location roll... 1d20 => 14, left hand) Purusartha's arrow hits the Rhat in his left hand! but the rhat isn't holding anything, so instead his powerful compound bow pins the rhats hand to the wall!(damage... 1d8+3 => 3 + 3 = 6) The rhat squeels struggling to free itself but too weak to really move. Purusartha than steps aside, out of the doorway, so Yorick can move in.


Yorick charges through the common room, straight at the Akhenaten man on the other side of the worktable. He leaps, attempting to vault over the table so he can attack the man with his trident.[Jump DC 10](rolls jump check:: 1d20+10 => 3 + 10 = 13, Success) Yorick leaps atop the table and stabs at the man with his trident.(attack with trident: 1d20+10 => 2 + 10 = 12, Miss) His trident fails to penetrate the mans armor! He grunts and takes the hit, twisting away from it.


Asher moves in and fires his bow at the rhat pinned against the wall.(Attack with bow: 1d20+5 => 12 + 5 = 17, Hit)(Location: 1d20 => 16, Ribs)(Damage: 1d8 => 1) His arrow is well aimed hitting him in the side of his chest. However, the arrow doesn't seem to penetrate the rhats armor well but it still knocks the rhat unconscious.

Tix moves up next to Asher. "Eeep! That's one the Cultists!" He squeels pointing at the akhenaten man Yorick just tried to stab with his trident. He makes no other action other than his move action.

[End of Surprise Round]__________________________________________________ _________________________

[Start of Round 1]


[Dungeon Master: ok, now its initiative time]

Yorick: (rolls initiative: 1d20+4 => 14 + 4 = 18)
Asher: (rolls initiative: 1d20 + 4 => 5 + 4 = 9)
Tix: (rolls initiative: 1d20+5=> 10 + 5 = 15)
Purusartha: (rolls initiative: 1d20+8 => 20 + 8 = 28)

[Dungeon Master: ok so Purusartha acts first, then Yorick, then Tix, Than Asher. and now for the cultist...]

Cultist: (rolls initiative: 1d20+5 => 20 + 5 = 25)
[Secret roll for Pithis: (rolls initiative: 1d20+5 => 16 + 5 = 21)]
[Secret roll for other rhats: (rolls initiative: 1d20+2 => 7 + 2 = 9)]

Purusartha act's first... he drops his bow and charges the cultist, drawing his short sword in the process! (Attack with short sword: 1d20+8 => 9 + 8 = 17, Hit)[He hits, cause technically the cultist is still flat footed](location: 1d20 => 17, throat)(damage: 1d6+3 => 1 + 3 = 4) Blood sprays as Purusartha slashes him across the throat, causing bleeding damage! [1hp per round starting next round.]


The cultist steps back 5 ft and casts a spell against Purusartha... but first he must make a concentration chec. [DC 18 from damage, and extra difficulty trying to cast when throat injury makes speech painful](Concentration: 1d20+8 => 20 + 8 = 28, Success)


Purusartha has to make a Will Save.[DC 17](Will Save: 1d20+6 => 5 + 6 = 11, Fail) Purusartha suddenly becomes rigid... as if paralyzed!


[Pithis: Begins to observe Purusartha to attempt a death attack in 3 rounds, from the doorway to the study, invisible thanks to his ring.]


Yorick: (Attack with net: 1d20+6 => 3 + 6 = 9, Miss) Yorick then moves in front of Purusartha to cover him.

Tix moves up 15', and fires his shortbow. (Attack with shortbow: 1d20+6 => 8 + 6 = 14, Miss)

Asher drops his bow, draws his sword and charges the cultist, attempting to leap over the table like Yorick has. [DC 10](Jump check: 1d20 => 5, Fail) However he fails to clear his jump and the table halts his movement before he can attack.


Then suddenly the study door opens revealing 2 more rhats! They charge Yorick!(Attack with small shortsword: 1d20+4 => 7 + 4 = 11, Miss)(Attack with small shortsword: 1d20+4 => 1 + 4 = 5, Possible Fumble)(Confirming fumble: 1d20+4 => 13 + 4 = 17, Fumble) The rhat trips, provokes an attack of opportunity from Yorick.

Yorick: (Attack of opportunity with trident: 1d20+8 => 15 + 8 = 23, Hit)(Location: 1d20 => 20, right eye)(Damage: 1d6+5 => 6 + 5 = 11) That rhat is driven into unconsciousness by the trident blinding him in the right eye!


[End of Round 1]__________________________________________________ _______________________________
[Start of Round 2, Cultist takes 1 Dmg from blood loss]

Purusartha acts first, to try and roll another saving throw against the culists spell (Will Saving Throw: 1d20+6 => 20 + 6 = 26, Sucess) Purusartha shakes off the effect of the spell... but that is a full round action so he cannot do anything


Cultist: (Survival Check: d20+10 => 6 + 10 = 16, Sucess) The cultist seems to sniff the air and curses. "I smell what you are!" He screeches at Purusartha. "You dishonor the truce! And for that you must die!" The cultist throws off his cowl, and starts to shiek and growl as his body suddenly morph's, growing hair, claws and huge rat-like teeth!


[Pithis: Continues to study Purusartha while invisible]

Yorick attempts to trip the wererat cultist. (Trip Attack with trident: 1d20+8 Melee Touch Attack => 16 + 8 = 24, Hit)(Str Check to trip: 1d20+9 => 4 + 9 = 13, Fail)

Wererat: (rolls Dex to oppose grapple: 1d20+5 => 17 + 5 = 22, Win)


Tix fires another arrow at the wererat. (Attack with shortbow: 1d20+6 => 18 + 6 = 24, Hit)(Location: 1d20 => 15, Gut)(Damage: 1d4+1 => 4 + 1 = 5) Annoyed, the wererat hisses at Tix, and Tix almost pee's himself!


Asher moves around the table and attacks the wererat with his sword. (Attack roll with sword: 1d20 + 7 => 15 + 7 = 22, hit)(Location: 1d20 => 14, left hand)(Damage: 1d6 => 6) The wererat looks like its getting angrier by the second!


The rhat that Yorick didn't slay with his attack of opportunity attacks him again. (Attack with short sword: 1d20+2 => 15 + 2 = 17, Miss)

[End of Round 2]__________________________________________________ ______________________________
[Start of Round 3, Cultist takes 1 bleeding damage]

Purusartha regains his movement and curses back at the Wererat. "Truce be damned! You cultists of Vermithrax, and your vermin-minions, all deserve to die!" He steps up 5ft and makes a full attack on the wererat with his short sword! (Attack with short sword: 1d20+6 => 14 + 6 = 20, Miss)(2nd Attack with short sword: 1d20+1 => 4 + 1 = 5, Miss)


The wererat steps back 5 ft and casts another spell at Purusartha. Purusartha has to make a fortitude save this time. [DC 17] (Fortitude Save: 1d20+9 => 15 + 9 = 24, Sucess)

[Pithis: Continues to study Purusartha]

Yorick attempts a trip-charge. (Trip attack with trident: 1d20+10 Melee Touch Attack => 13 + 10 = 23, Hits)(Strength Check: 1d20+9 => 9 + 9 = 18, Fail)


Wererat dex to avoid trip again. (Dex Check: 1d20+5 => 17 + 5 = 22, Win)


Tix takes a 5ft step, has to aim for the rhat now, instead of the whererat, cause he doesn't wanna hit Asher accidentally. (Attack with shortbow: 1d20+6 => 11 + 6 = 17, Hits)(Location: 1d20 => 1, right arm)(damage: 1d4 => 4)


That rhat, turns and attacks Tix... provoking an attack from Asher.


Asher: (Attack of Opportunity with sword:: 1d20 + 7 => 17 + 7 = 24, Hit)(Location: 1d20 => 13, right hand)(Damage: 1d6 => 1) The Rhat is even more wounded now, and that prevents his attack on Tix

Asher attacks the rhat leaving room for puru to get close to were next turn. (Attack with sword: 1d20 + 7 => 12 + 7 = 19, Hit)(Location: 1d20 => 3, right arm)(Damage: 1d6 => 4)That blow drops the rhat into unconsciousness.


[End of Round 3]__________________________________________________ _______________________________
[Start of round 4, Cultist takes 1 bleeding damage]


Purusartha drops his sword, steps over and picks up his bow again, gets one attack with it. [Has Precise Shot] (Attack with compound bow: 1d20+11 => 12 + 11 = 23, Hits)(Location: 1d20 => 13, right hand)(Damage: 1d8+3 => 6 + 3 = 9) Purusartha's arrow pierces the wererats right hand.


The wererat hisses and pulls the arrow out of his hand, and Tix's arrow out of his gut. [2x swift actions = 1 move action] "That's the best you can do!" It growls. Than it lunges at Yorick! (Bite Attack: 1d20+9 => 9 + 9 = 18, Miss)


[Pithis: Continues to study Purusartha.]


Yorick attacks with his trident. (Attack with trident: 1d20+8 Melee Attack => 11 + 8 = 19, Miss)

Tix fires another arrow at the wererat. (Attack with shortbow: 1d20+6 => 5 + 6 = 11, Miss)

Asher moves around behind the wererat

[End of Round 4]__________________________________________________ _______________________________
[Start of Round 5, Wererat suffers 1 bleeding damage]


Purutharsa fires more arrows at the wererat. (Attack with compound bow: 1d20+11 => 1 + 11 = 12, Possible Fumble)(Confirming fumble: 1d20+11 => 9 + 11 = 20, Fumble) Purutharsa's bow string snaps! he takes a move action to get a bowstring out of his pack, next round he'll restring it.


The wererat laugh's with a hiss at Purusartha's bow string. "Vermithrax is watching over meee!" It hisses.... biting at Yorick again! (Bite Attack: 1d20+9 => 5 + 9 = 14, Miss)


Suddenly! A blak rhat appears, just as it attacks Purusartha! [-8 to Hit Purusartha with a called shot to his eye, but Purusartha is flat-footed, and gets no armor bonus because Pithis is targeting a vulnerable part of his body.]


Pithis: (Sneak Attack/Death Attack, Called-Shot to Purusartha's Eye: 1d20+10-8 => 9 + 10 - 8 = 11, Hit)(damage: 1d3+4 => 1 + 4 = 5)(Sneak Attack Damage: 4d6 => 15) Total of 20 damage, + 1 Con damage, with a silver dagger!


Purusartha has to make a fortitude save [DC 14] or die. (Fortitude Save: 1d20+9 => 12 + 9 = 21, Success) Purusartha screams, leaping backward as Pithis' silver dagger stabs into his right eye!

"It's Pithis!" Tix shouts in horror

Yorick turns and rolls a trip attack vs. Pithis. (Trip attack with trident: 1d20+8 Touch Attack => 8 + 8 = 16, Miss)


"Die Pithis!!!" Tix squeels and leaps at him, biting savagely. (Bite Attack: 1d20+1 => 15 + 1 = 16, Miss)

Asher swipes at the wererat again with his sword. (Attack with sword: 1d20 + 7 => 11 + 7 = 18, Miss)

[End of Round 5]__________________________________________________ _______________________________
[Start of Round 6, Wererat takes 1 bleeding damage, Purusartha takes 1 bleeding damage]

Purusartha yells clutching at his eye, agore with blood, bleeding even more than you would expect, still burning him with its touch of silver! Purusartha starts to tremble, and his voice grows hoarse... [Control shape check, DC 25, to resist changing into a wolf!] (Control Shap check: 1d20+13 => 9 + 13 = 22, Fail) Purutharsa throws down his bow... dropping to all fours, his bloody face growing hair, and his teeth elongating! Purutharsa the wolf, kind of brownish/greyish, befitting his older age. He growls savagely at Pithis regarding him with his only good eye at the moment... and Pithis really does piss himself.


Taking advantage of Purusartha's distraction the wererat attempts to attack Yorick by surprise while his back is turned to him.


Yorick: (Survival Check to sense the ambush: [DC 15] 1d20+13 => 2 + 13 = 15, Success) Yorick realizes the whererat is ambushing him and twists away avoiding being caught flat-footed.


The wererat bites at Yorick. (Bite Attack: 1d20+9 => 19 + 9 = 28, Hit)(Location: 1d6+4 => 2 + 4 = 6, left hand)(Damage: 1d6+9 => 4 + 9 = 13) The wererats giant rat jaws bite into Yoricks hand. Yorick has to roll a DC 15 Fortitude Save or suffer bleeding damage.

Pithis: Goes invisible.

Yorick: (Fortitude Save: Fail) Now bleeding, he also has to roll a Control Shape check to avoid shifting into a wolf from suffering so much damage. (Control Shape Check: 1d20+3 Control Shape Check => 3 + 3 = 6, Fail) Yorick begins to shift into a wolf just as Purusartha did!


Tix shouts, "Master!!! Whats wrong with them?!" Tix says backing away frightened. He didnt know Purusartha and Yorick were wherewolves... and neither did Asher.


Asher answers. "I don't know but continue to focus on the rat!"

Tix grabs his bow again.

Asher attacks the wererat again with this sword. (Attack with sword: 1d20+9 => 9 + 9 = 18, Miss)

[End of round 6]__________________________________________________ _______________________________
[Start of Round 7, Wererat suffers 1 bleeding damage, Purusartha suffers 1 bleeding damage, Yorick suffers 1 bleeding damage]


Purusartha the wolf watches Pithis go invisible, but uses his scense of smell to find him... and he gets a big bonus cause Pithis pissed himself. (Survival Check to locate Pithis by smell: [DC 15] 1d20+7 => 8 + 7 = 15, Success) Purusartha isn't fooled by the rhat's sneakiness a second time, and leaps on Pithis' back, savagely biting with his wolfish jaws! (Bite Attack: 1d20+9 => 8 + 9 = 17, miss) However his jaws snap shut on air.
The wererat bites again at Yorick. (Bite Attack: 1d20+9 => 2 + 9 = 11, miss)


Pithis is fighting for his life now against Purusartha the wolf... using his wicked, black, silver dagger against his snarling fangs! (Attack with dagger: 1d20+10 => 9 + 10 = 19, hit)(Location: 1d20 = 1, right arm)(Damage: 1d3+4 => 2 + 4 = 6) +1 Con Damage. Purusartha takes some more damage... and again his wound bleeds more than it should


Yorick takes a bite at the were rat this time. (Bite Attack: 1d20+10 => 2 + 10 = 12, Miss)


Tix uses his bow again, with a -4 for firing into a melee without precise shot. (Attack with bow: 1d20+2 => 8 + 2 = 10, Miss)


Asher striking the were rat again with his sword. (Attack with sword: 1d20 + 9 => 8 + 9 = 17, Miss) Asher attempts to roll an intimidate check to demoralize the wererat. (Intimidate check: 1d20 + 7 => 13 + 7 = 20, Win)


The wererat rolls intimidate to oppose Asher (1d20+2 => 18 + 2 = 20, Loose) The wererat is demoralized.

[Demoralize Opponent: You can also use Intimidate to weaken an opponent’s resolve in combat. To do so, make an Intimidate check opposed by the target. A shaken character takes a -2 penalty on attack rolls, ability checks, and saving throws. You can intimidate only an opponent that you threaten in melee combat and that can see


[End of Round 7]__________________________________________________ _______________________________
[Start of Round 8, Wererat takes 1 bleeding damage, Wererat is demoralized, Purusartha takes 2 bleeding damage, Yorick takes 1 bleeding damage]


Purusartha attempts to bite Pithis again, much easier now that he's no longer invisible. (Bite Attack: 1d20+6 => 18 + 6 = 24, hits)(Location: 1d20 = 10, Left Leg)(Trip Attempt: 1d20+1 => 14 + 1 = 15, Win)(Damage: 1d6+4 => 6 + 4 = 10)


Pithis rolling opposed check for trip (1d20+3 => 10 + 3 = 13, Fail) Pithis is tripped and screams as Purusartha sinks his jaws in his leg.

[House rule, with a bite... you can just keep your jaws clamped instead of making another attack, he just rolls automatic damage for each attack he gets in a round with his bite by shaking and tearing at the same wound he already made.]


Purusartha: (Damage: 1d6+4 => 5 + 4 = 9) Pithis takes 9 more damage as Purusartha bites down again into his leg.


Wererat bites at Yorick. (Bite Attack: 1d20 +7 => 11 + 7 = 18, Miss)


Pithis stabs again at Purusartha's wolfish head with his dagger. [-4 for attacking while prone] (Attack with Dagger: 1d20+6=> 19 + 6= 25, Possible Crit)(Confirming Crit, 1d20+10 => 9 + 6 = 15, Not a crit)(Location: 1d20 = 5, left arm)(Damage: 1d3+4 => 2 + 4 = 6) +1 Con Damage.


Yorick bites again at the wererat. (1d20+10 => 2 + 10 = 12, Miss)

Tix decides to go help Puru rather than firing into the melee with his bow. He drops his bow and pulls his Rapier.

[Can't attack though since he doesn't have a BAB of +1 and drawing a weapon is a move action.]

Asher attacks the wererat again with his sword (1d20 + 9 => 15 + 9 = 24, hits)(Location: 1d20 = 11, left leg)(Damage: 1d6 + 2 => 1 + 2 = 3)

[End of round 8]__________________________________________________ _______________________________
[Start of round 9, Wererat takes 1 bleeding damage, Purusartha takes 3 bleeding damage, Yorick takes 1 bleeding damage]

Purusartha is opting to go auto damage rather than making new attacks. (Damage: 2d6+8 => 6 + 8 = 14)

WereRat bites at Yorick (1d20+9 => 8 + 9 = 17, Misses)

Pithis stabs at Purusartha again. (1d20+6 => 19 + 6 = 25, Possible Crit)(Confirming Crit: 1d20+6 => 11 + 6 = 17, Not a crit)(Location: 1d20 = 8 - Right Leg)(Damage: 1d3+4 => 3 + 4 = 7) +1 Con Damage.
Yorick bites at the wererat. (1d20+10 => 1 + 10 = 11, Possible Fumble.)(Confirm Fumble: 1d20+10 => 20 + 10 = 30, Not a fumble)


Tix Stabs at Pithis! "Die Pithis!!!" (Attack with rapier: 1d20+1 => 14 + 1 = 15, miss)


Asher attacks the wererat again. ( 1d20+9 => 12 + 9 = 21, hits)(Location: 1d20 = 20, right eye)(Damage: 1d6+2 => 2 + 2 = 4) The wererat Jerks back as Ashers blade hits his eye, a little blood streaming down his cheek "I don't need that to find and kill you!" it says.


[End of round 9]__________________________________________________ _______________________________
[Start of Round 10, Wererat suffers 1 bleeding damage, purusartha suffers 4 bleeding damage, Yorick suffers 1 bleeding damage]


Purusartha rolls damage. ( 2d6+8 => 7 + 8 = 15) With one final, savage shake of his jaws, Purusartha finally opens Pithis' wound enough to force him into shock from bloodloss and unconsciousness.

"Tix get me his blade if you can" Asher says to Tix refering to Pithis' dagger.

Yes Master!" Tix answers.

"Nooo! You cannot have thaaat!" The wererat shouts in anger and bites again at Yorick. ( 1d20+9 => 9 + 9 = 18, Miss)


Yorick bites back, and this time holds on with his jaws. (1d20+10 => 16 + 10 = 26, Hit)(Location: 1d20 = 17, Throat)(Damage: 1d6+7 => 1 + 7 = 8)(Str Check to trip wererat: 1d20+9 => 4 + 9 = 13, Fail)

Wererat rolls dex to resist being tripped. (1d20+5 => 20 + 5 = 25, Win)

Tix grabs Pithis' black dagger and runs it over to Asher, who takes it, and stares as the dagger grows into a medium-sized weapon in his hand.


["Kiss of Vermithrax" This exotic Kris dagger has a blackened, masterwork silver blade, and a hilt wrapped with the black leathery wings of a vampire bat. The pommel is highly decorative black iron carved into the shape of a rat's skull with a red ruby in its jaws.]


Asher drops his sword and attacks with the dagger instead. ( 1d20 + 9=> 2 + 9= 11, Miss)


[End of round 10]__________________________________________________ ______________________________
[Start of round 11. Wererat suffers 2 bleeding damage, Purusartha suffers 4 bleeding damage, Yorick suffers 1 bleeding damage]


Purusartha whines... and collapses from cumulated bleeding damage

"Your friend is first to fall! But you will be next!" the wererat growls at Yorick attacking with his own bite. (1d20+9 => 11 + 9 = 20, miss)


Yorick does auto damage with his bite and attempts to trip again. (Damage: 1d6+7 => 3 + 7 = 10)(Trip: 1d20+9 Str Check (trip) => 2 + 9 = 11, Win)


Wererat rolls Dex to avoid being tripped: 1d20+5 => 3 + 5 = 8, Fail) Yorick pulls the wererat down off his feet with his jaws!


"I will get the magic items! Shajarian had a potion of healing!" Tix says running over to the mundane chest.


Asher attacks with the black dagger again. (1d20 + 11=> 5 + 11= 16, Hit)(Location: 1d20 = 18, Skull)(Damage: 1d4+ 2 => 2 + 2 = 4) +1 Con Damage. The wererat slips into unconsciousness. Yorick continues to rip and savage at the wererats throat, covering his muzzle with gore, until he's sure the wererat is dead.

Tix hurries to empy the mundane chest, pulling up a false bottom which opens up into an extradimensional storage space, (the reason the rhats never found it) but he literally has to climb inside it because he's too short to reach anything inside.


[End of round 11, End of Combat Rounds]__________________________________________________ __________


"Thank you master. Hurry give this to Purusartha!" Tix says handing Asher a potion.

Asher immediately applies the potion to Purusartha the wolf's blood-matted fur wherever he was stabbed. .
[Potion of Cure Serious Wounds = 13 hit points healed.]


As his wounds heal up a bit, and the bleeding stops, Purusartha the wolf's breathing gets stronger and his good eye blinks open. He growls, snaps his jaws at Asher's hand in warning, than struggles to rise, still very weak. (Control shape check to volantarily return to humanoid form: [DC 20] 1d20 +13 = 32, Success) However, he manages to regain his senses and morph's back to humanoid form... leaning on Asher's shoulder for support.


"Owww..." He groans clutching at his ruined eye. "This will take a bit to heal, sorry for snapping at you, but you should be wary of an afflicted werewolf like me while I'm in wolf form. Especially when I'm wounded, I have trouble sensing friend from foe." He explains.

asher dragoone
06-27-2013, 07:06 PM
Asher simply shakes it off. "You have not harmed me and you have aided in taking down this troubling rhat" Indicates to Pithis as he bends over to look over his body searching for clues and other such things. "Tix if you can bring me everything from that chest, we need to to discern what he has" Looks over to Yorick. "If you are in control over there check the wererat for anything useful"

Narayan
06-28-2013, 02:03 PM
Asher simply shakes it off. "You have not harmed me and you have aided in taking down this troubling rhat" Indicates to Pithis as he bends over to look over his body searching for clues and other such things. "Tix if you can bring me everything from that chest, we need to to discern what he has" Looks over to Yorick. "If you are in control over there check the wererat for anything useful"

Asher... Pithis has an ornate silver ring on one hand, a plain iron ring on the other, a hand crossbow with 12 bolts and a few vials of mysterious liquid (presumably poison), masterwork thieves picks, 30ft of some silk rope w/ grappling hook (smallish grappling hook), a disguise kit, some sharp looking carving tools (probably used for torture) and some other nefarious items befitting an assassin.

Tix: "It would be easier to just take the whole chest with us, the items in its secret space will be bulkier if we take them out."

Pursartha: "Agreed, lets take the chest and go. We shouldn't linger here, I'm sure the sounds of this fight carried through the walls and the floor. Someone may have already alerted the city watch, or worse..."

Asher: (Search check: 11 + 8 = 19, Success) Having finished a cursory search of Pithis' body, you have a nagging feeling you missed something... so more carefully you start to feel over his garments for secret pockets and you find find a small scroll, tucked into a hidden fold of his studded leather armor!

http://i1345.photobucket.com/albums/p662/crowsontheskulls/World%20of%20Sion/Things/PithisDeathList.png~original

Yorick changes back into his humanoid form so that he may search the wererats body. (Roll a search check pease Yorick, or you can take a 10 instead if you prefer.)

asher dragoone
06-28-2013, 02:20 PM
Asher nods his head agreeing to taking the chest and tucks all of pithis' things into his bag. "Purusartha we might want to warn these people that they are on a hit list, might gain us some....allies" He says standing up and hands him the scroll.

Executive Spike
06-28-2013, 02:20 PM
Yorick: Changing back he spits out the taste of blood in his mouth and begins searching the wererat. "Guess the cat's outta the bag now on what we are." Still uncontrollably projecting energies of anger and excitement. (Search Check: 22) Manages to stay calm enough to check thoroughly through the wererat without ripping anything else. Gathering up his weapons after and trying to bandage the bleeding wound on his hand (Heal Check: 8) Only to fail. "Mind to hand me one of those healing potions there? Can't seem to close this gash..."

Narayan
06-28-2013, 03:10 PM
Yorick: Changing back he spits out the taste of blood in his mouth and begins searching the wererat. "Guess the cat's outta the bag now on what we are." Still uncontrollably projecting energies of anger and excitement. (Search Check: 22) Manages to stay calm enough to check thoroughly through the wererat without ripping anything else. Gathering up his weapons after and trying to bandage the bleeding wound on his hand (Heal Check: 8) Only to fail. "Mind to hand me one of those healing potions there? Can't seem to close this gash..."

The wererat carries another masterwork silver kris dagger hidden within his robes, but this one is not as ornate or valuable as the one Pithis had. You also find seven small gems hidden in a secret pocket in his boot, but their value will have to be appraised. His coin purse carries no silver, but 30cp and 12gp.

He also has a vial of mysterious fluid (possibly poison) and a finely made masterwork scroll case bearing the unholy symbol of Vermithrax. Around his neck he wears the unholy symbol of Vermithrax on an iron chain, a finely carved piece of iron in the form of a black rat with two tiny red ruby gemstones for eyes.

(Anything in particular you take or do not touch Yorick?)

Executive Spike
06-28-2013, 03:16 PM
Yorick: Takes the gems and coins, putting it in his coin purse. Pulls out the scroll, necklace, and potion, putting it to the side letting the rest of the group examine it. Upon seeing the kris he growls and backs away, fearing the silver not wanting to even touch it. "Damned metal... I'm not getting near that... been tortured enough with it."

Narayan
06-28-2013, 03:16 PM
Asher nods his head agreeing to taking the chest and tucks all of pithis' things into his bag. "Purusartha we might want to warn these people that they are on a hit list, might gain us some....allies" He says standing up and hands him the scroll.

Purusartha: "Hmm a death list? That is interesting... yes these targets could be potential allies, or else at least enemies of Vermithrax, assuming they aren't already."

asher dragoone
06-28-2013, 03:23 PM
Walks over and would pluck up the silver dagger. "If you will not touch it, then I will take it with us. It can at least aid in funding our cause" At the mention of silver daggers. "Purusarth is it wise for me to hold on to this dagger that Pithis' was using? It feels evil to me and has more than likely done evil work" He had used the dagger only because his own blades had not done anything to the wererat. "I believe it would be wise to take it to a holy shrine and have them destroy it"

Narayan
06-28-2013, 03:33 PM
Yorick: Takes the gems and coins, putting it in his coin purse. Pulls out the scroll, necklace, and potion, putting it to the side letting the rest of the group examine it. Upon seeing the kris he growls and backs away, fearing the silver not wanting to even touch it. "Damned metal... I'm not getting near that... been tortured enough with it."

(Make two will saves for touching the necklace and the scrollcase.)

Purusartha: "Don't touch those! They may be cursed items!" He says, trying to warn you about the unholy necklace and the scroll case, but it is already too late. However, you realize the unholy symbol pulls apart revealing a hidden key! Since you can't read, the scrolls have no meaning to you... but there are several pages rolled together in the scrollcase.

"Damnit! Here let me help you with your bite wound... perhaps I can prevent disease if you aren't already cursed!" (Heal check: 18 + 3 = 21, Success) Purusartha says spreading a healing salve around your wound before he wraps a clean bandage around your hand to stop the bleeding.

"Nice job savaging that wererat... but in order to be sure that it will not regenerate you have to cut off his head..." Purusartha says cutting it the rest of the way off with his short sword. "It seems there is much I have to teach you about our kind, but you need no instruction on how to use your jaws. You are a natural warrior! Now please do us a favor and carry that chest for us." He asks.

Lastly, he takes the tip of his short sword and carefully puts the unholy symbol of Vermithrax and the scroll case (also on a chain) into a large leather belt pouch. "We'll examine these more later. Time to move! We should head for my safe house." He says gesturing for everyone to leave through the front door. However Purusartha has one last thing to do, collecting all the oil lamps in the flat he starts smashing them about preparing to light the whole place ablaze!

"This should help put them off our scent, and give fewer clues as to what actually happened here." He says, rushing through the front door after he tips over a lit lantern, narrowly avoiding the ball of fire that erupts behind him.

asher dragoone
06-28-2013, 03:41 PM
Nods already leaving through the door. "We must make all haste as we do not know if they have others watching, lead the way Purusartha" It was a sign of trust that he let him lead him to an unknown place, but he had little choice in the matter.

Narayan
06-28-2013, 06:20 PM
Nods already leaving through the door. "We must make all haste as we do not know if they have others watching, lead the way Purusartha" It was a sign of trust that he let him lead him to an unknown place, but he had little choice in the matter.

Purusartha leads the group from the building and out of the neighborhood through a side alley, and not a moment too soon, as the horns of the city watch were fast approaching. His safe house was on the other side of the city. Behind you at a distance, you spot Vulkyrie circling the smoke of the burning building.

Purusartha: "Do not stare at them! If you can see them, they can certainly see you." He warns while you spend nearly an hour slinking through alleyways, avoiding city watch patrols, before you reach the area where his safehouse could be found.

Purusartha: "This is more of a poor merchant district than a neighborhood. We won't have to worry here so much about being noticed, as long as we avoid the main streets and look like we're busy with something or other." He explains, leading you down a side street where a peddler was selling freshly cured animal hides.

As you move further down the street you start to notice the sharp smell of rendered animal fat, and realize there must be a tannery nearby. Indeed there is a good sized tannery at the end of the street with an overpowering reek as dozens of hides are cured and dried within. Purusartha leads you by the fence around the tannery, against the massive outer wall of the city itself towards the back corner of the tannery where a building abuts it.

However, you do not see any sort of doorway or other means inside, until Purusartha starts kicking at some old fence boards in a pile on the ground. Beneath them, obscured largely by dirt, old grass and ivy, are a set of trap doors that look like they haven't been opened in years. With a grunt, Purusartha opens them revealing a steep stairwell, overgrown with ivy leading to a heavyset exterior door beneath the ground for the buildings cellar.

Purusartha: "Stand back." Purusartha warns, carefully reaching down slipping his hand into the ivy searching for something. You make out a small "click!" and he smiles. "It's safe now." He says, producing a key from somewhere and stepping down to unlock the door. It takes a good hit with his shoulder before it opens on aged hinges, breaking free of the underground doorframe with some resistance.

The entrance beyond is pitch black, with just enough light seeping in from outside to reveal dusty old floorboards. Purusartha reaches in and unhooks an old oil lantern from the wall, lighting it and ushering you inside.

Purusartha: "Stay here! I am going to talk to my old friend Wrusk the half-orc, the owner of this tannery, and let him know he has guests. Bolt the door behind me." Purusartha says, hanging the lamp back on the wall and shutting the cellar door, replete with a heavy steel bolt to lock it from within.

Inside, the air in the cellar is old and damp, but at least you've escaped the stink of the tannery outside. It is a large, square chamber about 50 ft on a side, with several heavy wooden posts holding up the floor twelve feet above you. There is a large forge and kiln in one corner, and also work tables, piled with old hammers and tools wrapped in oiled rags to prevent rust, and two anvils, one large and one small. That corner of the cellar could easily serve as a smithy again.

Another corner serves as a living area with two tables, an oven and an iron stove. Cabinets there hold lots of pottery, cups and cutlery, but nothing edible. The rest of the cellar is largely empty, with some old crates and barrels stacked about, apparently forgotten and not likely holding anything of value. Another corner contains a huge stack of firewood, enough to run the forge, cook your meals and warm the cellar for an entire year. Everything is covered with layers of spiderwebs and carries the scent of mold.

Tix: "Poor Shajarian... he deserved a proper funeral." Tix mutters out loud pulling a chair out to slouch upon.

asher dragoone
06-28-2013, 06:30 PM
Walks up behind Tix and places a hand on his shoulder. "Can you think of nothing more magnificent than a funeral pyre? Ash to ash and dust to dust we return to mother earth" It was a phrase the people of the nearby village he grew up near used when honoring their dead. Once Yorick was inside he would do as told and bolt the large door. He took notice of the crates and planned to see what they held later on, nothing was useless in this battle. Even a hoe for a farmer to use would not be a bad find as he planned to help his kingdom grew once it was to help guide. Not control like his forefather, no he would be a king of the people, the king they deserved. That was if they would have him. "Best not to wait, let us see what the chest contains" After Yorick puts the chest down he would let Tix do the honors of revealing what was inside.

Narayan
06-28-2013, 07:02 PM
Well now halfway through your first day, its time to get some exp... (Note all exp rewards have already been adjusted by me for bloodline exp penalties)

Players

Asher, you get 900 exp, with an additional 300 exp for your roleplaying efforts and two bonus CP's.

Ivar, you get 700 exp, with an additional 100 exp for your roleplaying efforts.

Sauel, you get 800 exp, with an additional 250 exp for your roleplaying efforts and one bonus CP.

Yorick, you get 1,000 exp, with an additional 200 exp for your roleplaying efforts and two bonus CP's.

NPC's

Achetii gets 500 exp, and 50 exp for roleplaying efforts before she became NPC.

Tix gets 500 exp, putting him up to level 2.

Purusartha gets 2,000 exp

asher dragoone
06-28-2013, 07:09 PM
(Holds out hand and lets the experience orbs fly into him. "Yes! More power!")

Executive Spike
06-28-2013, 07:31 PM
(holds out hand and lets the experience orbs fly into him. "yes! More power!")

("UNLIMITED POWAAAAAARRrr" :p )

rtcvb32
06-28-2013, 08:09 PM
Over the hour period Sauel tries to get more information from Ivar (Gather information: 2) However he fails rather miserably due to his being more introverted, plus this being a stranger, and likely seeming to be just there Sauel had very little he felt he could do much of anything with.

Seeing as he wasn't going to learn anything of use from Ivar he spends a little more time trying to converse with the Keu that had appeared and made Purusartha so upset as well as intrigued and hopeful. Her small size and uncertainty of being involved that he noted earlier suggested she probably wouldn't be taking arms with them for the moment, but that didn't mean she wouldn't travel with them. Perhaps if she was stealthy enough she could act as a currier.

(Appropriate rolls? Appraise: 4, Gather Information: 10, Knowledge(Nature): 17, Survival: 22, Sense Motive: 20)

Perhaps if she had a easier way to be stealthy (like a ring of invisibility or something) she would be more inclined to help..

Narayan
06-28-2013, 08:51 PM
"Best not to wait, let us see what the chest contains" After Yorick puts the chest down he would let Tix do the honors of revealing what was inside.

First Tix pulls out a small case of healing potions, all neatly labelled.

-3 Cure Serious Wounds
-4 Cure Moderate Wounds.

Then he pulls out the rest of the items, which Tix recognizes so no need to identify them.

- 50 Arrows of Flaming Burst
- Bag of Holding Type 1
- Decanter of Endless Water
- Dust of Dispersion
- Dust of Tracelessness
- Hat of Disguise
- Ring of Sustenance
- Sending Stones
- Wand of Knock (30 Charges)

[Bag of Holding Type 1:
This appears to be a common cloth sack about 2 feet by 4 feet in size. The bag of holding opens into a nondimensional space: Its inside is larger than its outside dimensions. Regardless of what is put into the bag, it weighs a fixed amount. This weight, and the limits in weight and volume of the bag’s contents, depend on the bag’s type, as shown on the table below.]


Bag
Bag Weight
Contents
Weight Limit
Contents
Volume Limit
Market Price


Type I
15 lb.
250 lb.
30 cu. ft.


[Decanter of Endless Water:

If the stopper is removed from this ordinary-looking flask and a command word (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/magicItemBasics.htm#commandWord) spoken, an amount of fresh or salt water pours out. Separate command words determine the type as well as the volume and velocity.


"Stream" pours out 1 gallon per round.
"Fountain" produces a 5-foot-long stream at 5 gallons per round.
"Geyser" produces a 20-foot-long, 1-foot-wide stream at 30 gallons per round.

The geyser effect causes considerable back pressure, requiring the holder to make a DC 12 Strength check to avoid being knocked down (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/conditionSummary.htm#knockedDown). The force of the geyser deals 1d4 points of damage but can only affect one target per round. The command word (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/magicItemBasics.htm#commandWord) must be spoken to stop it.]

[Dust of Dispersion: This fine powder resembles other types of magic dust, and a single handful flung into the air creates a translucent cloud 10 feet high, 10 feet long, and 10 feet wide. Creatures outside the cloud can see into it and through it (though their sight is slightly blurred), but any ranged attacks entering or passing through the cloud have a 50% miss chance. Creatures within the cloud make rangedattack rolls normally. The cloud persists for 3 minutes, but a moderate wind (11+ mph) disperses it in 4 rounds. A strong wind (21+ mph) disperses the cloud in 1 round, and any spell that deals fire damage burns away any part of the cloud in its area. The dust cannot be used underwater.]

[Dust of Tracelessness: This normal-seeming dust is actually a magic powder that can conceal the passage of its possessor and his companions. Tossing a handful of this dust into the air causes a chamber of up to 100 square feet of floor space to become as dusty, dirty, and cobweb-laden as if it had been abandoned and disused for a decade.
A handful of dust sprinkled along a trail causes evidence of the passage of as many as a dozen men and horses to be obliterated for 250 feet back into the distance. The results of the dust are instantaneous,
and no magical aura lingers afterward from this use of the dust. Survival checks made to track a quarry across an area affected by this dust have a DC 20 higher than normal.]

[Hat of Disguise:

This apparently normal hat allows its wearer to alter her appearance as with a disguise self (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/disguiseSelf.htm) spell. As part of the disguise, the hat can be changed to appear as a comb, ribbon, headband, cap, coif, hood, helmet, and so on.]


[Ring of Sustenance:

This ring continually provides its wearer with life-sustaining nourishment. The ring also refreshes the body and mind, so that its wearer needs only sleep 2 hours per day to gain the benefit of 8 hours of sleep. The ring must be worn for a full week before it begins to work. If it is removed, the owner must wear it for another week to reattune it to himself.]

[Sending Stones: These items usually resemble two lumps of unworked stone. Once per day, each stone in a pair can send a message (as the sending spell) to the bearer of the other stone. If the stone’s mate is not in a creature’s possession, no message is sent and the user knows the message did not go through. If either stone in a pair is destroyed, its mate becomes useless.]

Tix: "I can determine what sort of magic items Pithis was carrying if you wish Master?" He asks Asher.

asher dragoone
06-28-2013, 09:00 PM
Walks over to Tix and sets down all the items he retrieve from Pithis and sets them on the table and goes to look over the rest of the items. Already he reached for the Hat of Disguise and set it on his head, it instantly removed the horns from his head and turned his hair raven black and became a leather band that tied at the end of his long hair. "This is all I will require, the rest can be distributed. Except for the bag that will will go to whomever Purusartha may make best use of it" This was said in an almost authoritative voice. "Though we should seek his advice on it all"

Narayan
06-29-2013, 06:12 PM
Achetii sits with Sauel and Ivar, drinking more of the delicious berry-wine that Wrona offered her, along with food. She was famished after such a long journey! Every so often she also fed a bit of meat to her gorgeous golden eagle perched on her shoulder.

Achetii: "So, Sauel, what do you think Purusartha meant when he said that I should investigate what was different about Wrona and this tavern? It seems normal enough to me, besides the fact that most of these people are impoverished. I have no doubts why this place is so popular, with such good food being served on the cheap!" She praised nibbling on another beakfull.

rtcvb32
06-29-2013, 06:45 PM
The Avian's question left him unsure how to answer, afterall he knew what it was they were in, but he couldn't very well tell her she was somewhere where she was definitely a prey species, and Ivar didn't know either, neither of them might be able to tell at all. It's what made them blend in pretty well, unless you were openly broadcasting out your energy trying to be noticed.

Sauel looked over the area a little, putting his knowledge on the back burner and saw how plain the place was, and indeed it was harder to find anything that was really off about it. "Probably a trick to it... similar to a puzzle... The mood, perhaps some common ground between all the patrons.." Besides although Purusartha had faith she would figure it out, it wasn't his secret to tell. Yet it seemed his own was already known to at least the other were, which wasn't so bad in itself.

Sauel was honestly just getting bored. Rabi had fallen asleep again and he wasn't about to disturb his friend unless there was a reason to, with chopsticks out he poked at a little extra tidbits that were given to him by Wrona, but he'd rather have curled up and joined Rabi on the floor, regardless if it was wolf form of human.

Narayan
06-29-2013, 11:02 PM
Walks over to Tix and sets down all the items he retrieve from Pithis and sets them on the table and goes to look over the rest of the items. Already he reached for the Hat of Disguise and set it on his head, it instantly removed the horns from his head and turned his hair raven black and became a leather band that tied at the end of his long hair. "This is all I will require, the rest can be distributed. Except for the bag that will will go to whomever Purusartha may make best use of it" This was said in an almost authoritative voice. "Though we should seek his advice on it all"

Tix casts and starts to concentrate on the various items you found on Pithis. He identifies both rings as being magical. The silver ring is a Ring of Invisibility he says, and the other is a Ring of Protection +1. The dagger takes more focus as it is heavily enchanted.


[I]+2 Dagger
This exotic Kris dagger has a blackened, masterwork blackened silver blade, and a hilt wrapped with the black leathery wings of a vampire bat. The pommel is highly decorative black iron carved into the shape of a rat's skull with a red ruby in its jaws.

Assassin’s Dagger
This wicked-looking, Kriss +2 dagger provides a +1 bonus to the DC of a Fortitude save forced by the death attack of an assassin.

Wounding
A wounding weapon deals 1 point of Constitution damage as well as one point of bleeding damage when it hits a creature. A critical hit does not multiply the Constitution damage. Creatures immune to critical hits (such as plants and constructs) are immune to the Constitution damage dealt by this weapon.

Next Tix attempts to identify the poisons you got off Pithis and the wererat. (Craft: Alchemy check = 14,9,17 Fail, 24 = Success) But he only manages to identify one of the 4 vials as:


Poison, Type, Initial Damage Secondary Damage, Price, DC to Create
Eyeblast, Injury DC 22, Blindness, Blindness, 500 gp, 23


Tix: "If I spent more time on this, I think I can determine what the rest of these are if you like?" He asks Asher.

asher dragoone
06-29-2013, 11:20 PM
Will pick up the Ring of Invisibility and finger it in his hand, rolling it around in his palm. It would be an invaluable tool in escaping should he need to leave in a hurry, which could very well save his life. Which meant the people of his kingdom would still have their chance at freedom. "This ring would best serve in my possession I do believe" He would slip it onto his right hand's ring finger. "That assassin's dagger is an evil weapon and I do not believe any of us should wield it, perhaps we can find someone to alter it to be good but for right now it does not feel right to use it" Pauses to look at the poisons Tix was identifying and nods. "Yes take your time in trying to find what they are, even if we cannot use them I am sure there are those who will buy them from us if we know what they are"

shadovar
06-30-2013, 12:04 AM
(hey sorry guys I was out of town narayan new about this sorry for being a dead beat.)

asher dragoone
06-30-2013, 12:45 PM
(no problems shadovar, glad to have ya back)

Narayan
06-30-2013, 02:17 PM
You hear the sound of a trap door creak open above you, and Purusartha appears a moment later stepping down some other steps into the cellar carrying a heavy porcelain urn.

Purusartha: "I just spoke with Wrusk. We shouldn't be disturbed down here. He'll probably come down after dark and speak with us... Here's some water, sorry we'll have to see what we can do about supper later..." He pauses for a minute, noticing Asher's new appearance. "Oh, I see you've found some useful things from Shajarians stash?" He asks.

asher dragoone
06-30-2013, 02:26 PM
Simply unties the leather strip holding his hair together and he resumed his normal draconic appearance. "Several useful things" After revealing the item he would tie his hair back but wouldn't make use of the magic of it, just keeping it there at the ready. Then he held up his right hand that held the ring of invisibility. "I have also decided to utilize our friend Pithis' disappearing trick" Taking a moment he would take some of the water and have a sip. "I take it Wrusk does not use this area at all?" Motioning to all the dust and cobwebs.

Narayan
06-30-2013, 02:43 PM
Purusartha: "Eh, no not really... this cellar used to be the living space for his son Roth, one of my earliest, dearest friends... also slain by the Vul saving my life. Wrusk was also like a father to me, since my real father..." Purusartha pauses... as if just reminding himself again about the bad news he received about his father this morning. "...Which reminds me, I need to go speak to that bearded fellow we met earlier. And bring back Sauel, so I will need to get going, but you three should remain here. Is there anything you need to talk about or ask me before I return?" He asks

asher dragoone
06-30-2013, 02:53 PM
Puts his hand to his chin in thought while gazing around. "If we are going to remain in this city longer we must set up a more permanent place we can operate out of, since you know this city best I would like you to start thinking of places we can use" With that said he would go and begin to sweep cobwebs and dust off of the various things of the room. He did not require others to take care of him, nor would he ask of it. His first agenda would be to check the crates in the corner to see if they held anything of use.

Narayan
06-30-2013, 03:26 PM
Puts his hand to his chin in thought while gazing around. "If we are going to remain in this city longer we must set up a more permanent place we can operate out of, since you know this city best I would like you to start thinking of places we can use"

Purusartha: "Well, this place could be as permanent as we need it to be. Besides, not sure we have the luxury of calling anyplace permanent considering we might have to abandon it at anytime if we are attacked. But I will discuss my plans with you when I return."

Tix interrupts and explains the use of all of Shajarians magic items to Purusartha.

Purusartha: Takes particular interest in the sending stones. He takes one and hands the other to Asher. "If I encounter any trouble, I will send you a message with this. If I warn that I am going to be captured, I would suggest you assume that they will eventually know everything I know by means of magic and torture... so best to flee and head someplace unknown to me. But I would rather die than be captured." He says with all seriousness.

Tix also asks about Pithis' dagger and what they should do with that?

Purusartha: "It's a deadly weapon, we should use it. I fail to see what good it does us to deny ourselves the same sort of deadly weapons our enemies use? Pithis was an assassin yes, but not a cleric of their cult... so his dagger was not an unholy cursed item like their unholy symbols are. We have nothing to fear from it as long as it is in our possession." He emphasises.

asher dragoone
06-30-2013, 03:33 PM
Simply nods as he takes the sending stone from Purusartha. "Then we will flee as fast as need be and if such an event does come to a head we will remember your sacrifice" Considering all the people he met so far he would guess there would be other weres coming with Purusartha and would pick up Pithis' dagger until someone better suited for it comes along. "and you raise another good point, it would be best to set up to be able to flee at a moments notice" He had more plans going through his mind as he set himself to task.

shadovar
06-30-2013, 07:24 PM
The Avian's question left him unsure how to answer, afterall he knew what it was they were in, but he couldn't very well tell her she was somewhere where she was definitely a prey species, and Ivar didn't know either, neither of them might be able to tell at all. It's what made them blend in pretty well, unless you were openly broadcasting out your energy trying to be noticed.

Sauel looked over the area a little, putting his knowledge on the back burner and saw how plain the place was, and indeed it was harder to find anything that was really off about it. "Probably a trick to it... similar to a puzzle... The mood, perhaps some common ground between all the patrons.." Besides although Purusartha had faith she would figure it out, it wasn't his secret to tell. Yet it seemed his own was already known to at least the other were, which wasn't so bad in itself.

Sauel was honestly just getting bored. Rabi had fallen asleep again and he wasn't about to disturb his friend unless there was a reason to, with chopsticks out he poked at a little extra tidbits that were given to him by Wrona, but he'd rather have curled up and joined Rabi on the floor, regardless if it was wolf form of human.

Ivar continues to chew his food paying close attention to the conversation. Suddenly he chuckles and looks to the avian Achetii and whispers in low quiet tones. "Up in the dwarven lands its not common for you to advertise all of your skills. My family have always been traveling merchants~he rolls his eyes as he states this~ but all of them had their other skills, perhaps Wrona and even this tavern are just a front for something else. Why else would it be safe as he says?"

He suddenly realizes that he knows nothing of the people he is talking to and shuts his mouth tightly before looking down. He remembers that any friend can turn on him... so why make them? ~he sighs and looks back up~ "So on that note what are you two doing here? ~pointing to Sauel~ and why did you not continue your business with your friends?"

Narayan
06-30-2013, 07:52 PM
Later that afternoon, Purusartha enters the Tavern of Endless Thirst once again, looking very much like he was just in a savage fight... with bloodstained clothes and a bandage covering his right eye. His movements are pained and slow, with sweat soaking his skin. He makes a heavy labored sigh as he sits once again in the high backed chair he used this morning.

Purusartha: "Sorry for the delay Sauel. We had a bit of trouble." He apologizes.

Achetii: "Oh my lord! What Happened?!"

Executive Spike
06-30-2013, 07:54 PM
Yorick: "I got a question, what's our first step in getting our friend here to king-hood? Doubt they'd just let us barge right in and proclaim him as high king." He asked leaning back on the wall and relaxing, putting the trident to the wall and his helmet to the side.

shadovar
06-30-2013, 08:07 PM
Ivar watches the man return to the tavern and simply sits there wandering if his message and duties to that old man would finally be discharged.

rtcvb32
06-30-2013, 08:40 PM
"My business..." Sauel softly repeats the word. Yes, what was his business? Tasks and training from his Alpha, namely right now watching and learning from Purusartha.

The noise of Purusartha's return and looking none-too-good caught his attention just as much as everyone else's. Although late, his tone was apologetic. "We cannot change the seasons, they will come and go when they are ready..." Sauel replied, it may not have fit but the meaning should have been obvious.

Sauel approached, calling on the divine energy that he had tapped and touched Purusartha's shoulder (Cure Light Wounds: 9 points). Sauel's selection of spells were more for travel in mind and less on combat. He had a few good berries which would do minor healing as well, but for now this was the best he was probably going to get. Seeing his healing has helped a bit he gave Purusartha some more room, he still needed to talk to Ivar, who he got very little information from.

Narayan
06-30-2013, 08:55 PM
Purusartha: "Thank you Sauel." He says sitting up a little straighter. "Don't worry Achetii, I will be fine." He smiles at the distraught Keu. "Very sorry to keep you waiting Ivar. I will be more than happy to compensate you for your time?" He asks Ivar sincerely.

shadovar
06-30-2013, 09:12 PM
"No compensation is needed Purusartha, I am simply performing a final request. I apologize for my earlier attitude it was unbecoming of even someone of my status." ~He extends his hand the letter within his large grip.~

Narayan
06-30-2013, 09:31 PM
"No compensation is needed Purusartha, I am simply performing a final request. I apologize for my earlier attitude it was unbecoming." ~He extends his hand, the letter within his large grip.~

Purusartha: "Much obliged..." Purusartha says taking Vritra's letter and slowly opening it. His expression is curious to start with, than sad, and finally it hardens. He looks to Ivar again and asks. "Please, tell me how my father died?"

shadovar
06-30-2013, 10:07 PM
Ivar takes a deep breath and sighs nodding in acceptance of his duty.

Ivar: "I know not if I brought Vritra's death or am but witness, but I shall recount all that I can. I met him just four days ago on the banks of the river Arosis, in the town of Kara, just north of Masaeus. He had taken an interest in me the last few days and inquired about me in the local tavern. He approached me with an offer of some fishing and a strong dwarven whiskey known as Goldendrake, although how he came by such a valuable drink is beyond me..."

Ivar: "We talked late in the afternoon of fathers and sons, but after his bucket was full of fish we were ready to retire. On our way back to his home he saw riders approaching and warned me to hide, pressing that letter into my hand before going out to confront them. It was sudden, obviously planned. They spread out to search his home and named him a conspirator against the Vul."

Ivar: "Once your father understood what was going on, I am not sure what his thoughts were, but he threw our catch in the face of their leader, Sheriff Hassan, and ran to their horses making a break for it. He would have made it too if it wasn't for a Vulkyrie that had been watching from above. Vritra was speared through the black by a javelin thrown with as much force as a dwarven ballista!"

Ivar: "I slipped away as soon as I could. There were too many of them for me to have made any difference..." {he takes a long draw off his drink} "I am sorry for your loss."

Narayan
06-30-2013, 11:26 PM
Purusartha: {Asks a tablemaid for strong drink, slouching wearily in the chair, his single good eye clouding over with the fog of past regret.} "..I haven't spoken to my father in almost thirty years... not since my mother and sister were killed by the Vul. I blamed him for their deaths... and he and I were not so good together without them. We fought everyday... so I left."

Purusartha: "You see my father was secretly a bandit and a smuggler. He was also a brewer, but whenever he took a cart full of drink into Masaeus he was also smuggling something else in, and smuggling something else back out. He never told my mother or sister about it, using us, his family as cover for his risky enterprise... but then I guess he wanted to teach me his trade so he told me what he was really doing."

Purusartha: "I was frightened. I was just a young man, but I understood the risk he was putting us through. However there was no doubt his secret business was providing more for us than his legitimate one. Our house was one of the finest in town back then, and we had a comfortable life. I let him teach me what he'd learned, and whenever we went off to the tavern in the evenings, we were secretly meeting with other bandits and smugglers who lived in town or passing through the area."

Purusartha: "But one evening, one of those traveling smugglers was actually gathering information as a Vulfear informant. One of the other locals told him about a buried cache of stolen goods he wanted to fence, and the informant offered to pay a good price for em so he could go sell them abroad were they wouldn't be recognized."

Purusartha: "However, that cache of goods belonged to the whole bandit gang, and when the other local bandit told my father about the arrangement he just made, my father became suspicious of the stranger. My father decided that we couldn't let him leave the town that night in case he was an informant, so instead we both went over and befriended him, and invited him back to our house for supper and more drinks."

Purusartha: "Once again my mother and sister had no idea of the danger they were in when they were introduced to this stranger. We shared food and drink with him, but my father was also carefully observing him and asking certain questions to detect deception. The informant failed my fathers tests, so my father took me aside and whispered to me that he needed my help to murder him and hide his body."

Purusartha: "I was frightened, but he left me no choice... so after it got late, my father asked my mother and sister nicely but firmly to turn in. They did so, but my sister sometimes had bad dreams... and so she woke later and got up and walked in on us butchering the mans body on the chopping block. She screamed, and woke my mother... and suddenly we had a lot of explaining to do..." {Purusartha paused to accept the bottle of spirits he'd asked for from the tablemaid and took a deep drought.}

Purusartha: "The next day, while my father and I were out some other Vulfear came looking for their informant. It seems they were asking about him at the tavern and someone made the innocent mistake of snitching on us, telling the men they saw the informant going into our house last night."

Purusartha: "These men were not as incompetent as their informant, they were seasoned killers, and when they showed up on our doorstep asking about him, they could tell by the look in my mothers and sisters eyes that they were lying about him. But my mother wouldn't let herself or her daughter be taken alive for questioning, and so they both died fighting to keep our involvement a secret."

Purusartha: "The men still came looking for us, but they didn't know where to find us, and we had the chance to witness the carnage they had caused before we were taken by surprise. Both my father and I became different men that day... colder, crueler, it was as if the Vulfear had killed the best parts of us without even laying a finger on us."

Purusartha: "My father called in the gang for an emergency meeting and explained what had to happen. Together, we all ambushed the Vulfear thugs and made them disappear. Others came looking for them, but there was no longer anything to lead them to us. And from then on, we were more careful about doing business with strangers."

Purusartha: {Takes another long drink.} "However... I couldn't go on living like that. Not after what happened. So I left, and I never spoke with my father again. Can't say I'm glad he's dead... but I can't say I'm too sad about it either."

(Make a sense-motive check please Ivar and Sauel)

shadovar
07-01-2013, 12:05 AM
(Sense motive check = 10)

Ivar nods taking it all in and covers his face with his hand before wiping it down and taking a deep swig of drink. "So not such an honorable death as I thought."

rtcvb32
07-01-2013, 01:06 AM
(Sense motive: 23)

A most interesting story to hear of Purusartha, a glimpse into what life the man had led to this point. Previous conversations and snatches of information he had caught, but made no comment of before, nor would he make any comment about it now. But it was a bad way for family to go down.

Narayan
07-01-2013, 01:22 AM
Ivar, you don't really know Purusartha well enough to notice, but Sauel you can tell that he's not being honest about how he feels about his fathers death. It's hurting him more than he lets on...

Purusartha: "Perhaps he wasn't an honorable man... but his letter says he changed after I left. It says that he gave up smuggling for personal gain and took to using the profits to fight the Vul. He also said he convinced the old gang to do likewise." {Raises his bottle up, but takes a smaller swig this time.}

Purusartha: "I know we just met Ivar, but any man that would honor a stranger like my father's dying wish, despite the danger he put him in, is a braver man than most. I'm in your debt. Is there anything I Can do to repay you? And might I ask what brought you to my childhood home? That small town of Kara?"

shadovar
07-01-2013, 01:40 AM
Ivar: Ivar nods."That sounds more like the man who spoke with me on that river bank. Perhaps he redeemed himself then."

Ivar:Ivar looks down staring at the table for a long while after being asked why he was in that town. He is unsure of whether or not to share such personal information, but so much has been shared with him, why should he not return such hospitality. "I (he stutters slightly) I was cast out of the dwarven holds and lands by my father Vonakral Silver'Rune." A bitter look overcomes him but this is then lost in a turn of grief. "You call me a braver man then most but there seems to be the problem, I am a man, one would not think it not enough to be exiled from one's home." He scoffs at this and downs the last of his ale before ordering a much more potent drink.

asher dragoone
07-01-2013, 02:05 AM
Finishes prying off the lid of one of the crates in the corner before answering Yorick's question. "No we cannot simply walk in and proclaim myself high king, no this will most likely be a long and arduous process and all the more likely bloody" Turning around he would lean against the wall. "but it cannot be avoided and I fear a peaceful resolution is out of the question...the Vul have taken so much and they must be held accountable for what they have done to not only my people but everyone who has crossed them"

Narayan
07-01-2013, 01:26 PM
Purusartha: "So you grew up with dwarves? That is interesting, I don't suppose you are any good at smithing?" He asks Ivar.

shadovar
07-01-2013, 01:34 PM
Ivar: Ivar looks up from his drink and nods to Purusartha."I spent my life in those mountains, well outside of trade missions to cities like this one. I spent my years in the dwarven militia as an armor smith. I also picked up some tricks in weapon forging, but that is ~he pauses for a moment~ more of a cross study. Why do you ask?"

Narayan
07-01-2013, 01:41 PM
Purusartha: "Well you've seen a Vulkyrie strike up close. I'm curious, since I'm not any sort of smith, what sort of weapons would you make to use against them?"

shadovar
07-01-2013, 01:54 PM
Ivar: He scrunches his face up a bit in thought before answering. "Well, I guess that would depend on how I was planing to fight them." He pauses for a second to take a drink shaking his head afterwords to clear the drink from his mind. "On an open battlefield I'd use great spears. Long but thin ones so they would be hard to see when they were diving at you. Maybe even outfit large ballista with rounds designed to carry large nets into the air. Drag them to the ground for cavalry to run them down." He stops to scratch his chin for a moment. "Then again a wizard with a little bit of wind learning would do better for that." He chuckles deeply at the thought.

Narayan
07-01-2013, 02:07 PM
Purusartha: "Ah that is clever! Yes the net-launching occurred to me as well, except that the Vul have such sharp beaks and talons I doubt a normal net could hold them. So I was thinking, perhaps a very light chain-mesh net could be made? I hear the dwarves are skilled at working with Mithril, which is rumored to be the strongest and lightest metal there is. Perhaps that would serve best as an aerial-attack net?"

Purusartha: "Another idea I had is large Bola that could be similarly launched into the air, which wouldn't have to be as light, and be much easier to make than chain-mesh nets I would imagine? Oh, and also, a large version of a heavy crossbow that could possibly do enough damage in one hit to drop them out of the sky. What do you think?"

shadovar
07-01-2013, 02:21 PM
Ivar: He smiles missing such talks of strategy with his father. He nods,"The net would be difficult to use, very unwieldy. If not Mithril then Earthroot for sure, it would take them a while to get through that. As for the bola idea, I have heard of such weapons but never seen their use. It seems like a more cost efficient if slightly less effective idea. This comes to the scenario again. In open war, the bola would not be effective, but in skirmishes in small numbers is much more suited do to shear portability. The problem with them is that if you miss you got nothing to do, where as the net is more designed to hit clusters."

Ivar: "Heh, there's already a crossbow designed for such purposes. It's used in the deep dark for taking down large bats, Darkmantles, the likes of such creatures are of as much measure as the Vul. Getting the designs would not be easy though. I doubt my own talent to recreate such devices

Narayan
07-01-2013, 03:17 PM
Purusartha: "Eh, open combat on a battlefield with the Vul is a far-fetched scenario. There hasn't been a force in this kingdom large enough to call itself an army that would stand against the Vul in at least a thousand years! I'm thinking more practically, as in weapons that are specialized to take down one Vul at a time, once they are lured into range and ambushed."

Purusartha: "The Vul have a wingspan of about twenty four feet... I doubt we could make a net large enough to catch more than one while they are in the air at least. But Bola could work, if we snag a wing especially that would make em drop like a stone! Just need a means to throw them hard and high enough... with a ballista probably."

Purusartha: "As for a larger heavy crossbow, I believe that is something you are capable of making. It so happens I have a fully equipped forge currently in disuse if you might be interested? Also, since you mention that armor is your specialty, mine is in need of some repair..." He says removing some of his robe to show you where he was stabbed a few times through his studded leather armor. Once in the leg and once in each arm.

However Ivar you quickly notice that his armor isn't quite normal... It has extra folds allowing it to expand around the neck, chest and limbs, as though it were engineered to fit a bigger creature and designed to shrink around the body of a normal man.

shadovar
07-01-2013, 03:58 PM
Ivar: Ivar raises his thick bushy eyebrows in a slightly shocked expression rare to touch a dwarven face. He holds up his hands to slow Purusartha a moment. "Woah there, the offer of work is one thing there, as is the talk of what weapons you would use to face down a particular enemy, but what you speak of here is hardly light conversation my newly met friend." Ivar shifts in his seat suddenly very uneasy in this tavern knowing why its safe to talk here. "Conspiracy seems to suddenly be the talk here and I am not sure I like this in the slightest. Banditry of the past I cannot begrudge a man I know little of, but now you speak of assassination. The story you speak is not a sob or even sad story Sir. Its one of justice met and vengeance taken." He says this last bit with a small amount of venom is his voice. "I know not if this is the true reason of your cause or not, but would you think it any different in another land? You murder a man of the law doing his rightful duties and expect no retaliation? Your bitter for the death of family, but you say yourself instead of being taken they take up arms against law men once again only doing their rightful duties? Nothing at in your story paints you or your family in any form of righteousness Purusartha. Banditry? Murder of a man doing no evil and then murder of more looking rightfully for his killers?" Ivar obviously has much on his mind and much more to speak but he stops himself to give this man a chance to explain himself. He now watchs the room more alertly trying to suppress his inebriation, he pushes his chair a few inch back giving him the capacity to stand with more ease.

Narayan
07-01-2013, 04:54 PM
Purusartha: {Smiles disarmingly and chuckles} "My friend I do not mean to make you uncomfortable. It is not treason I speak of. It is liberation! You think those feathered monsters are the rightful rulers of this realm? If so then you are a poor student of history... I fight for the true heir to the throne of this kingdom, the kingdom of Summara! Not the kingdom of Vulkh those usurpers dain to call it."

Purusartha: "You speak of the sheriffs, or the Vulfear as law men? Hardly my friend... the only law they know is Vul law... and where is the justice in that?! You think its right for a man to be lashed in the streets or enslaved because they look a Vul in the eye or fail to refer to them as your greatness??? You think its right the Vul tax us so much that men like my father couldn't support his family with an honest trade?"

Purusartha: "I make no excuses for my father's crimes, but I will have you know that bandits like him mostly prey on Vul tax-collectors, or the merchant-lords who suck at their teat and the sheriffs and mercenary guards that protect them. You have yet to spend much time living in this kingdom, so perhaps your naive perspective about the law can be overlooked.

Purusartha: "But please allow me to educate you on the true nature of Vul law. For starters... the Vulfear and the sheriffs are only interested in one thing... coin. Their primary duty is to enforce laws designed to squeeze every last coin from honest folk, or protect the merchant-lords' profits. Sheriffs who fail to do those things won't last long, and even if they do, and had a heart to enforce the laws in place to ensure order and safety for the people, they wouldn't be rewarded for it."

Purusartha: "To the contrary, sheriff's who are known to always find trouble are punished for undertaking missions that cost the kingdom valuable personnel and resources better utilized elsewhere... which in Vul-speak means... concentrating on their primary duty protecting the profits of the fat merchant-lords and ensuring the safety of the tax collectors!"

Purusartha: "And another thing... you see this gentle creature?" Purusartha asks gesturing to Achetii. "She is forbidden to use her wings in these skies... and the Vul who say so, murdered her entire flock, and have hunted her species to near-extinction for millennia. Yet she had the courage to come here and deliver me news about our true ruler and savior, the long-lost descendant of prince Hezek!"

Purusartha: "...A man I could introduce you too, who would treat you fairly and ensure your freedom to prosper from the fruits of your own labors free of exorbitant tax. Or, you could continue to live as a great fool, forever in fear of those who impose their harsh and unfair laws upon us. The choice is yours my friend..." Purusartha says taking another swig of his drink.

rtcvb32
07-01-2013, 05:02 PM
"The Vul are hardly 'men of the law'" Sauel interjects briefly. "Laws they put out are more for necessity rather than any kind of goodness of their hearts. Likely, they consider every non-Vul to be lesser beings."

"There are unwritten laws regarding what you can and cannot do, retaliation, revenge, rank..." Sauel continues a little, although he was drifting a lot closer to pack law. "It's usually the strongest or most cunning that are in charge. The Vul are both strong and cunning, fear of their ruthlessness is what keeps any possible retaliations in check. Like any ruling class, the general population probably out number them a hundred to one, but unless you can band the whole population together as a whole, the numbers don't mean squat..."

shadovar
07-01-2013, 05:47 PM
"The Vul are hardly 'men of the law'" Sauel interjects briefly. "Laws they put out are more for necessity rather than any kind of goodness of their hearts. Likely, they consider every non-Vul to be lesser beings."

"There are unwritten laws regarding what you can and cannot do, retaliation, revenge, rank..." Sauel continues a little, although he was drifting a lot closer to pack law. "It's usually the strongest or most cunning that are in charge. The Vul are both strong and cunning, fear of their ruthlessness is what keeps any possible retaliations in check. Like any ruling class, the general population probably out number them a hundred to one, but unless you can band the whole population together as a whole, the numbers don't mean squat..."

Ivar: At Sauel's interjection Ivar seems to take nothing but offense. "Don't you be putting words in my mouth. The men him {Ivar points to Purusartha} and his father killed were not Vul. Just men on the trail of smugglers and bandits. So if you got something to say make sure you be knowing whats already said, idjit.

Narayan
07-01-2013, 06:05 PM
Inside the crate you find old chains and manacles... dozens of them, most of which stained with blood. The others hold the same, enough to bind a few hundred captives, or slaves. The barrels however are filled with common weapons and armor, such as swords, axes, shields and helms... all of which look aged and worn from use in battle.

shadovar
07-01-2013, 06:10 PM
Ivar: "Men of anarchy and chaos always have justified terms for their misdeeds sir so call it what you will makes no deference and you know it. And as I told your friend here {pointing to Sauel} don't be putting words in my mouth. I never commented on their legitimacy, I questioned yours." ~Ivar seems even more put off by the smile of the man, dwarves care not what the face is showing, drow will put a sword in your got smiling or not.~ "As for the lawmen what great injustice was he forcing on your family when you murdered him for investigating smuggling? A crime highly punished in even the dwarven lands. You speak of evil acts and injustice but your actions are the only one painted in a dark light. It matters not who bandits prey only that they do so. Evil done to the those who partake of evil is still evil Human. As for your claims of the corruption of the law here show me any shred of proof and I shall relent the point but do not make wild claims after someone has called you out, because then its only deflects from the topic at hand, which I might point out means your either to cowardly to continue the topic or you know the other is right! And for this rightful ruler of yours I will meet him, because this is no longer your diplomacy to turn me into an arms maker for your cause its one to ensure I don't rat you out as your own town folk did." {He finishes by drawing himself up from his chair and throwing an arm out to the door in a gesture obviously meaning we should be off to meet this person.} "Perhaps he will have more to share on the reasons for this rebellion then the cold blooded murder that your family committed to cover up their own crimes."

asher dragoone
07-01-2013, 06:45 PM
Fingers a couple of the manacles wondering what they were used for. It was obvious they were hidden for some reason, maybe for sake of remembrance or shame? It was not his place to judge though. Then he would look over the worn weapons and armor, perhaps they could be refurbished to working order. This was enough to arm a small squad of men. They had some supplies for what he needed to do, but not nearly enough.

rtcvb32
07-01-2013, 07:19 PM
Sauel only shrugged at Ivar's rebuking. The world turns, people buy, sell, sometimes eachother as well. Bandits were merely another type of career, usually the result of some corrupt power, or those that were too lazy to work themselves. If bandits and smugglers weren't around, something just as bad could be in their place, something that you couldn't just attack outright.

"Not every evil deed is done with the intent of evil, not every righteous act is good. Good and evil tend to be more ideals rather than reality; Only in hindsight can one judge. Regardless, the trees still grow, the rain still falls, and the seasons still change. The world, as they say, moves on.."

Narayan
07-01-2013, 07:37 PM
Purusartha: {raises his brow} "You are very lawful-minded Ivar, and that is in itself not such a bad thing, except when you presume that laws by their nature are right and those who make them must also be right. Mayhaps you haven't realized that you've led a reclusive life among a people that are just and good. And now that you've been tossed out of that safe environment, you are panicked by men like me who speak of evil in plain sight when you haven't had eyes to see it. You say you're calling me out? By all means... I will take as much time as you like debating things I know, over things you think you know in preference over things you'd rather not know."

Purusartha: "I am not the hypocrite you take me for. For starters, dwarves are not known for being very worldly fellows, you live in your mountain and you judge us humans as "men of anarchy and chaos", but what do you know of anarchy and chaos? It doesn't exist in your safe, small world underground does it? Yet as a man of "anarchy and chaos" it would similarly be small minded of me to dismiss you as someone who wasn't prepared to hear the truth of this world.

Purusartha: "I haven't been thinking of you like a dwarf, or speaking with you like a dwarf, I've treated you as a man, which is exactly what you appear to be. But my eyes, also, deceive me for I see you are not what I took you for. And I mean no offense when I say that my friend. I respect your doubts, truly I do. But if I were to argue this topic with a dwarf, it would probably be pointless, for their perception of right-action is coddled by their safe home environment, and they would refuse to believe that using evil means against evil doers, for us, is the only logical thing to do.

Purusartha: "You would expect those of us who have reasons to hate the Vul, to stand up to them like a strong dwarven defender would do. And that would be suicide, unless you happen to be so fortunate to have a god like Moradin watching over you. We Summarans have no god to rely on, we are people of common sense, and I'm sorry to admit that hasn't worked out so well for us. Men are weak. I know this as a man, and I am the first to admit it.

Purusartha: "We allowed the Vul to assume power when nobody in their right mind should do so, and two thousand years later we are still paying the awful price for that misjudgement. It happened because this kingdom was already suffering from a cancerous disease, called slavery, the practice of which makes some men wicked, and others weak. Slavery should not be tolerated! Prince Hezek believed this, and had he had the chance to right the wrongs of his father, King Hamza, he would have abolished it.

Purusartha: "But since he didn't, we are stuck in this limbo of business as usual where the rich merchant class profits from the whipped backs of slave labor and feels all the more entitled because of it. How can the majority accept cruelty and corruption from the few in power? That is the question, and the answer is, because men are too weak to see beyond their small lives, and risk everything to stand together for the good of all. A fallacy of ours that I would not presume about dwarves.

Purusartha: "So you see my friend, the contradiction between our points of view is that we are both products of our own separate lives, in our own separate realms. How can I expect you to see things as I do, when you haven't walked in my shoes? I apologize, I realize now that I should not have expected so much from you... Achetii also, doubts the cause, but her problem is she is a fatalist, and believes things are hopeless against an enemy her people have never known victory against."

Purusartha: "Your problem my friend, is that your people have been fooled by the Vul. You presume that they could not be evil, and still have such an orderly realm, with such clean streets and gleaming towers... you presume that because this city was built by you, and has remained as orderly as your own home, that the Vul must be like you because they seem to imitate you."

Purusartha: "Nothing could be further from the truth. The Vul have none of the good qualities befitting your people. Your orderly homes are the result of mutual respect and cooperation. Ours is the result of tyranny and greed. The Vul put on a different front to your people, because they value your commerce and skills, and they rightfully fear you as their most threatening neighbors. With their own people, the Vul are monsters I assure you... they are just practically minded about it."

Purusartha: "In other words, they don't hang their dirty laundry outside. Their crimes are more secretive, so that even intelligent, high-minded dwarves are kept in the dark about them. And that my friend, is a shame that rests on your own shoulders. You ask for proof? There is more than enough evidence to incriminate the Vul if you cared to look for it."

Purusartha: "What if I were to say, that I know where a whole caravan of dwarves was attacked in secret with full knowledge of the Vul, their bones still lying in the rocks and sand as we speak, thoroughly picked clean by desert scavengers? Attacked because they carried valuables that the Vul king decided he'd rather not pay for!"

Purusartha: "You'd ask me why I didn't come speak of this atrocity to your people years ago, and well that is true I should have... and with no danger to myself because I witnessed it from hiding, but if I had mentioned it, than I would have endangered others who were not in hiding that were known to be there. And those people would be killed by the Vulfear at the first hint of an investigation into the matter by the dwarves so that you would never find corroborating witnesses."

Executive Spike
07-01-2013, 07:50 PM
Yorick: "Heh... our clan used to set up small groups to slowly take down the enemy, even one person can do the job." He looked in the barrel then helped opened more crates and barrels, occasionally taking a drink of water when thirsty. He thoroughly checked the containers incase there was a magical or very well made item. (Search Check: 26!)

shadovar
07-01-2013, 08:32 PM
Ivar:Ivar's frustrations understandably peak. One man sits next to him and spouts philosophy in the middle of a conversation over the potential future of a nation of people and the other twists his words back on him through sheer lack of understanding. Ivar sighs and looks to Purusartha with something between a glower and a frown. "You say I am the one that does not understand, but you don't even hear my words you only hear the doubt of those you have talked to before. I do not call humans men of anarchy and chaos. I did not even call you those things. I merely commented on the fact that there is little difference between conspiracy and liberation as ideas. For one usually must commit conspiracy to liberate for liberation itself to ever happen. If you wish to continue this conversation you will calm yourself and listen to me, if not I shall simply take my leave now."

Ivar: "I have named you as nothing else but a murderer, a conspirator to destroy an empire RIGHTFUL or NOT. You comment on my peoples lack of worldliness but I will have you know my entire lineage have been travelers and merchants back to the roots of TIME! You speak of a dwarven caravan and yet how could it be there if we did nothing but sit in our mountain? Hmmm human? you spout nonsense and confusion. As for your comments of the Vul presuming I could not think them evil, who are you to know what I think? Once again I have said NOTHING of the Vul only of you and your cause do I speak, so stop justifying why the Vul must fall and instead get back to the topic at hand. Justifying yourself. As for close mindedness of the dwarves I speak but a sentence stating that any form of proof of the corruption of their laws and I would retract that statement but instead all you hear is I say your lying. Hear my words is all I ask now and stop being the great fool you so insultingly called me for your own lack of explanations and ability to express yourself."

Ivar: "To step back to the point of this dwarven caravan you say was sacked. I admit I have no knowledge of its truth and you say you did not come forth for fear of lives of the innocent but to throw down the Vul as you want is to commit WAR, and to commit war lives must be spent. If you had come forth they surely would have died but your people would have been that much closer to freedom. So you are not only a conspirator but one that lacks the conviction to do what must be done. You are weak!"

Ivar: "Now I will ask one more time Purusartha. Explain to me why I should join you. I have not asked of your enemy and in fact care little about them at this point. I seek to know your heart. Not your presumptions of my people. You are the one who wanted something from me if you don't remember. "

Narayan
07-01-2013, 08:42 PM
Digging through the barrels and crates, the most valuable item appears to be a battered old breastplate, but on close examination you see that it is actually masterwork, with golden scrollwork, although it is still in sorry shape. It has some ratty old leather padding on the interior, but behind it you glimpse something, so you pull it off and reveal very delicate etching, of what appears to be a kind of map... however, to really bring it out and make it visible you need to fill in the scratches with ink... and Tix volunteers to do this. After he does so, this is what you see...
http://i1345.photobucket.com/albums/p662/crowsontheskulls/World%20of%20Sion/Things/RuinsofSammuramat.jpg~original

Executive Spike
07-01-2013, 08:56 PM
Yorick: "The ruins of Sammuramat... You know anything about this Ash?" moved the map over to Asher carefully after he examines it. Eyebrow raised at the find and moves to the otherside of the table to look as well.

asher dragoone
07-01-2013, 11:10 PM
Looks at the map for a second. (History Check: 12-Fail) Crossing his arms he could only shake his head as he continued to peer at it. "Sadly I do not posses such knowledge Yorick, maybe Purusartha or one of those he has gone to retrieve may know what this place is. As it was the map looked important as it was hidden amongst old armor, so he would commit it to memory. "In the mean time it would be a wise idea to make this place liveable" As he said this he would retrieve an old broom from the corner and begin sweeping. A prince who cleaned who would have guess.

Narayan
07-01-2013, 11:49 PM
Purusartha:{Sighs} "I'm sorry if I've confused you Ivar. I've had an eventful day, and I've not quite calmed down yet it seems... But if I may, I will try and explain myself more plainly. As I said I left my fathers side because I blamed him for the death of my mother and sister, even though the deed itself was carried out by the Vulfear."

Purusartha: "Speaking of the Vulfear it doesn't surprise me if you haven't heard of them. They are a highly secretive organization. My father explained how treacherous and wicked they were, how they were all traitors to the Summaran people. But I was still a young man, I didn't know for sure that he was speaking truth, all I knew for certain was that we lured someone to our house and murdered him in cold blood."

Purusartha: "However despite blaming my father for what happened, I still carried around a lot of hate towards those that destroyed my family. Killing an innocent girl and her mother seemed unjust, whether they lied about being witnesses to murder or not. I had to know if their deaths were justified, so I came here to Masaeus, within the same walls as the Vul, to make my own determination about them.

Purusartha: "At first I lived like a common street rat, with little choice in the matter since I came here with little else than the clothes on my back. I tried to avoid it, but resorted to thievery on a few occasions, and on one of those occasions... well... anyway... it was a long time ago...

Purusartha: "I've already spent a good deal of time ranting about this. I'm not sure if relaying my life story will convince you to join our cause or not? If there's a chance it will then I will be happy too, but I would ask that we finish this conversation where my friend, the rightful heir, can lend his own voice to your ear." Purusartha says, rising from his chair gesturing for everyone to follow.

shadovar
07-02-2013, 12:22 AM
Ivar: Ivar nods and sighs ordering another strong drink his own anger and frustration having drained him.

Narayan
07-02-2013, 01:17 AM
http://i1345.photobucket.com/albums/p662/crowsontheskulls/World%20of%20Sion/Maps/th_MapofSionEasternHemisphere.png (http://s1345.photobucket.com/user/crowsontheskulls/media/World%20of%20Sion/Maps/MapofSionEasternHemisphere.png.html) http://i1345.photobucket.com/albums/p662/crowsontheskulls/World%20of%20Sion/Maps/th_OverlandMapofKingdomofVulkh_zps06c08861.png (http://s1345.photobucket.com/user/crowsontheskulls/media/World%20of%20Sion/Maps/OverlandMapofKingdomofVulkh_zps06c08861.png.html) http://i1345.photobucket.com/albums/p662/crowsontheskulls/World%20of%20Sion/Places/th_OverheadmapCityofMasaeusBWScene2.jpg (http://s1345.photobucket.com/user/crowsontheskulls/media/World%20of%20Sion/Places/OverheadmapCityofMasaeusBWScene2.jpg.html)http://i1345.photobucket.com/albums/p662/crowsontheskulls/World%20of%20Sion/Things/th_LawsofVulkh.jpg (http://s1345.photobucket.com/user/crowsontheskulls/media/World%20of%20Sion/Things/LawsofVulkh.jpg.html) http://i1345.photobucket.com/albums/p662/crowsontheskulls/World%20of%20Sion/Things/th_PithisDeathList.png (http://s1345.photobucket.com/user/crowsontheskulls/media/World%20of%20Sion/Things/PithisDeathList.png.html)

Continent of Akhenaten - Kingdom of Vulkh - 500th Year of the 3rd Age
Evening of Monday, April 9th - City of Masaeus

As you exit the Tavern of Endless Thirst, it is nearly dusk, the falling sun already hidden behind the mountains surrounding Masaeus. Purusartha is clearly exhausted, stepping heavily, sodden with a bit too much drink, and you have yet a great distance to travel to reach his safehouse in another quarter of the city.

(Those of you with scent, roll survival please, or spot for those without)

shadovar
07-02-2013, 01:24 AM
(spot check=17) Ivar slouched with Purusartha having had drinking a enormous quality is a bit woozie, but keeps his ale down due to his dwarven nature.

rtcvb32
07-02-2013, 01:31 AM
(Survival: 24, 7 for Rabi)

At long last it was time to move. Sauel felt tired of the waiting, and stepping out into the cooler night air immediately sobered him up. Rabi seemed edgy, ready to be out and to be out and about. "Ssshhh Rabi.. Ssshhh... We'll see where we're going soon enough..." Sauel told his companion, leash in hand. For now the most important thing was to just blend in while following Purusartha. He honestly wasn't sure what to think of Ivar yet, only that Ivar was likely naive or sheltered (which was about the same). His own life had a very different point of view from being born or part of a pack from an early age. By far any Alpha's he'd seen were far more becoming and normal than any of the Vul he'd seen or heard.

Taking a few deeper breaths he closes his eyes with a slow set of steps listening to the night, an unnatural calm in the city, the smell of stone & rock, water from the docks not far away. It lacked a certain natural scent, of trees and plants and moss, of rotted wood, fresh dirt, animals. It almost felt dead, and the lack of insects calling in the night which were more abundant where there was growing vegetation. No, this wasn't a scene for him.

Narayan
07-02-2013, 12:05 PM
Achetii: (Spot Check, 1+2 = 3, Fumble) The nervous Keu struggles to keep up with the pace of the longer-legged humans refusing to be last in line where she'll feel the most vulnerable, and knocks over an urn by someones doorway, which breaks loudly in the street causing her to jump. "Goodness!" She screeches.

Purusartha: (Spot Check, 12 +6 = 18, Fail because of Achetii)

Sauel: Having a keen sense of smell is sometimes very handy, because it works regardless of distraction and loud noises. Though you may yet be unfamiliar with smells of the city, you have no trouble detecting the scent of nervously agitated were's in the shadows close by. Though these do not have the scent of wolves about them... they're wererats! At least 3 of them!

(What do you do Sauel?)

rtcvb32
07-02-2013, 02:47 PM
Sauel is still surprised by the breaking of an urn, but that doesn't stop his keen nose, the stench of lycanthrope nearby. It is always a familiar scent, not quite perfume but hangs just under the surface. Since almost all were's don't project themselves it's their own ability to hide that lets them blend into the city.

Being wererats by themselves doesn't mean they had bad intentions, some are stereotyped by their species, but there was just something about rats that people don't like. Sauel steps forward closer to his companions and touches Achetii on her shoulder "Be not so jumpy, it's just a bit of broken Clay. Try and calm yourself". (If she was disguising her species well enough he would refer and talk to her as though she were a gnome)

He turns to Purusartha "Are you feeling good my friend? I know you had plenty to drink... Do you need a hand? You too?" Sauel says to Purusartha and touches his shoulder leaning in and whispering loud enough for both Purusartha and Ivar to hear ~We're not alone. At least three were's.~. He wasn't sure how Achetii would act, a sudden looking to the shadows would give away them knowing they were out there, so he hoped not to spook her anymore than she already was for now until intentions were made clear.

Starting a fight in the middle of the street wasn't a good idea, even the wererats wouldn't like it if the Vul got involved, and Vulkyrie were more ruthless than simple Vul (Or Purusartha's and Ivar's story told). He would have enjoyed talking with them, but likely the nervous tension either meant they were just being watched, or they were waiting to possibly fight with them once they were more out of sight like an alleyway or led to a building.

Rabi calm and unaware of the situation walked with him, nervous due to the unfamiliar surroundings but not really afraid. There were afterall predators of the forest, and they were not here.

Narayan
07-02-2013, 08:41 PM
As soon as you mention were's, Purusartha stiffens in his stride.

Purusartha: {whispers back} "Rats or wolves?" Hearing rats as your answer, he frowns, his face dimly lit in the gray light of dusk, highlighted by a nearby streetlamp. "COME ON OUT YOU FILTHY RATS!" He shouts into the shadows pulling his short sword free. {Whispers} "Take lesson Sauel, be unpredictable. Act strong when we're weak and we make them think twice, we may yet make opportunity out of ambush."

"Filthy rat am I?" A seductive voice answers as a lithe feminine form steps from a shadowed doorway closeby.

Purusartha: {curses under his breath} "Kasha!"

Achetii: {steps up to clutch at your arm Sauel, clearly frightened} {loud whisper} "What's going on?!"

(what do you do?)

rtcvb32
07-02-2013, 09:13 PM
With Kasha showing herself Rabi growled. Perhaps it was her stance, she was in the shadows, or perhaps it was because something about her oozed something unpleasant. Animals tended to be good judges of character (Although not always).

Sauel frowned seeing Purusartha jumping the gun, he had hoped not to make an obvious scene in the streets. Glancing up he was glad to see the sky was empty for the moment, but if they were attacked they were likely screwed. ~Strong when you're weak~ Sauel thought to himself, it was Purusartha who was wounded, although not nearly as much as he was earlier. Sauel's eyes drifted half closed as he tried to sense out where everyone else was. An encounter was inevitable as he drew his scimitar but kept it to his side where it was unnoticeable for the most part. {Survival checks: (Not sure how many you need), 21, 24, 18}

"I believe we are about to have a dance in red... my little gnomish friend..." Sauel spoke softly. At the confusion of her race he reached down touching her beak hidden. "Now now, we don't need to make a fuss..." He hoped Achetii would take the hint and not give her species away, her being a Keu alone might warrant them unwanted attention.

Sauel opened his eyes fully looking at Kasha, but trying to keep an eye on the shadows where he suspected more rats. "I don't believe we've met... Although I'd have liked it on better terms than this..." Sauel speaks softly moving so he's between the enemies and the little Keu.

shadovar
07-02-2013, 10:06 PM
Ivar: Ivar tenses at the commotion around him not entirely sure whats going on. The words whispered around him sounded like shifter, wolves, and rats. He has no idea what to expect though as this only seems to add confusion to the fires of the alcohol in his body.

Narayan
07-03-2013, 12:01 AM
Purusartha: {Gestures discreetly with his hand for Sauel to stay behind him and whispers to all of you.} "It's me she's after, keep quiet and try not to draw attention to yourselves."

Purusartha: {Steps forward boldy, all trace of weakness gone.} "I wouldn't call you filthy..." He says to Kasha. "...I'd call you worse than that! I know who you are Kasha."

Kasha: {Steps closer into the street revealing long legs and shapely hips wrapped in tight leather, her achingly beautiful face discordantly pale in the lamplight, framed in very long raven black hair with black stained lips. She moves with the grace and confidence of a young woman in the prime of her sex appeal, but her beguiling blue eyes are cold as ice, with no hint of warmth or intimacy.} "And I know who you are old man! You try and keep a low profile, but you're known by a fair amount of people in this city... MY city." she adds.

Purusartha: {Huff's} "I was walking these streets years before you crawled out of whatever dirty hole spawned you!" He retorts.

Kasha: {Frowns} "Such rudeness towards a lady? Shame on you... you are not a gentleman."

Purusartha: {Huff's again} "I am certainly much more of a gentleman than you are a lady. But please lets stop spitting barbs at each other and get down to business! You're in my way."

Kasha: "I told you already, this is MY city. I draw the lines around here. And you crossed a big one earlier today old man."

Purusartha: "I was merely performing a public service. There were too many rats in that building."

Kasha: "The balls on you! You think lighting a whole building ablaze escapes notice from the Vulkyrie? Your guts may well be their next meal, which is why I tracked you down first... cause I wouldn't want to miss the pleasure of killing you myself!"

Purusartha: "Tisk-Tisk, now who's showing bad manners? I think you'll have to reconsider."

Kasha: "Are those your last words before we rip you apart?" She asks no longer playing games.

Purusartha: "No, These are... Muscipula Mortis."

Kasha: {Freezes, her face a dolls mask of surprise and anger.} "How do you know those words!" She curses.

Purusartha: "You'll have to ask Moakh yourself, I don't have to explain myself to you. Now as I said, you're in my way... step aside!" (Intimidate Check, 20 +10 = 30, Epic Win)

Kasha: {Narrows her gaze, deeply enraged, but spins on her heel and moves down an alley.}

In dark areas of the streets about you, you sense other forms similarly retreating. And after a moment, the shadows around you hold no threat.

Purusartha: {wipes sweat off his brow} "Well I'm glad that worked... lets move on before she cools off and has the sense to send someone to follow us."

rtcvb32
07-03-2013, 12:14 AM
An internal struggle of power showing itself again, although how he wasn't sure. Fair as the girl was, she was like a Rose with barbs and thorns, to be dealt with caution. Had a different opportunity been about he might have tried to seduce her, but he was young and likely impatient, and if she attacked him during sex he might have very well changed in the middle of it.

Sauel carefully guarded his inner beast, keeping it from even hinting forward. With her gone and a sense of ease returning to the area and Rabi's growling going silent until the softest of whines came from his wolf before licking Sauel's hand. Purusartha had bluffed well, yet those words held power, what power he didn't know. A lover? Dead friend? A warning? Her true name? Any number of things he would probably find out in time. With slow practiced skill he runs the dull back half of his blade along his side and belly (harmlessly) and re-sheathes it to his side where only the handle was vaguely visible, and adjusting his robes made them practically disappear to all but the best of trained eyes.

Sauel patted Achetii's shoulder hopefully reassuring her and turned to follow Purusartha. Ivar's confusion showed clearly on his inebriated face. Thankfully blades and claws were not crossed, but at what price?

shadovar
07-03-2013, 12:41 AM
Ivar: Ivar sways a bit as he relaxes and looks to Purusartha for his lead.

Narayan
07-03-2013, 11:51 AM
Early night has settled by the time you reach Purusartha's safehouse, hidden beneath the awful stink of the tannery at the end of the of the street. Purusartha opens the trap doors to the cellar, disarms the trap once more, and knocks upon the heavy door alerting Asher, Tix and Yorick that he has returned.

(Asher, Yorick, describe any changes you've made in the cellar since he's been absent... things being swept, items moved, fires lit, etc.)

shadovar
07-03-2013, 12:00 PM
Ivar: "Nice little hole in the ground you got here." Ivar speaks through a the remains of what might have been a silk handkerchief once.

asher dragoone
07-03-2013, 12:12 PM
By time Purusartha and company returns to the underground safehouse it would look significantly different. The hard stone floor would have been swept and moped, the various boxes and barrels were cleaned and pushed into a corner, organized by what was inside. Clean dishes now sat on one of the two tables in the work area with a bowl of hot water next to them. Throughout the room the dust and cobwebs had been swept away. Likewise the smithy corner of the room was also cleaned with the tools sitting neatly on one work table with a crate of weapons/armor sitting nearby for cleaning. Lastly one corner of the room had Asher's backpack, gear and his unrolled bedroll, which looked rather worn suggesting he had been using it for a long time. All in all between Asher, Tix and Yorick the room was once again liveable.

Upon hearing the knock at the cellar door, Asher reties his hair band and allows the trans-formative powers to work, changing his silver hair raven black and hiding his horns. Then he would would grab his blade and hide on one side of the doorway. Even though he was sure only Purusartha and his friend knew about this place he wasn't about to take chances.

Narayan
07-03-2013, 12:43 PM
Tix opens the cellar door admitting Purusartha and the rest inside.

Purusartha: "Thank you Tix. Ah, I see you've made the place liveable again, much appreciated." {Turns to his newest guests} "Friends this friendly little spellcasting rhat is Tix, that hulking Ahuran gladiator over there is Yorick. And now I'd like to introduce Asher Caldarus, prince and heir-apparent of the kingdom of Summara. Asher I'd like to introduce my protege Sauel Coran, this lady-Keu is Achetii, and last-but-not-least this stranger is Ivar Silver'Rune, son of Vonakral Silver'Rune, a dwarven merchant of the Torgrimm Dwarfholds."

asher dragoone
07-03-2013, 01:02 PM
Asher steps out from where he was and sheaths his sword. He remained silent as he took a good look at the strangers that Purusartha had brought with them. It had been a long while since he had last seen a Keu and he hadn't expected one to come into a Vul controlled area willingly. Then his blue eyes fell upon Sauel, as protege he suspected he too was a werewolf. So many weres in one area, it was just as unexpected as the Keu was. Finally he turned his gaze to the dwarf, a merchant no less. His skills would prove quite useful if he were to join them. "Greetings Sauel and Ivar and greetings to you as well Achetii" He would make a welcoming gesture to them. "If Purusartha has brought you here and introduced me as prince heir then he must indeed trust you greatly, for he is not a fool enough as to tell others about me less he did so"

Walking over to one of the tables in the living area of the large chamber he would beckon Purusartha to come over to join. "This was found while we were searching the various crates of armor" He would motion to the map that had been found. "I do not know what this is a map of, but I thought you might as you seem knowledgeable"

shadovar
07-03-2013, 01:37 PM
<Note: Ivar does not look like a dwarf in any respectable sense. Standing a bit short but thick of limb and chest a heavily bearded Ahuran man stands before you. He is dressed in Dwarven clothing that may very well be torn and ripped, but seems to be of a fine make. Two silver signet rings lay upon his hands and a emerald pendant rests upon his chest. Beneath the tattered merchants clothing its easy to see the shine of dwarven mail beneath, and attached to his right arm is a beautiful buckler bearing ancient runes in raised iron and gold filigree. A fine dwarven axe hangs from his left hip and a triple trio of crossbow bolts rest in a thigh quiver on the opposite side. upon closer inspection you see strange silver tattoos and runes scrawled all over his possessions and skin. He has long Copper toned hair in a thick braid with a two foot long beard to match.>

Ivar: Kingdom or not the dwarves respect ancient blood lines so Ivar dusts himself a bit shoves his drunkenness deep down in his left leg and gives a short courteous bow. "Prince Caldarus, I have heard little of you but I knew much of the kingdom your family once ruled. It is well to see your line not gone as was thought. Your friend Purusartha has opened an invitation to join in your... rebellion, but first I would have words with you when you have time. He has not satisfied my curiosity of the situation or the reasons behind it." After this Ivar follows the other two over to the table to take a glance at the map.

asher dragoone
07-03-2013, 02:28 PM
Asher simply nodded his head as he waited for Purusartha's thoughts of the map that had been found. "You knew of the old kingdom? Well that is interesting, the Vul do not like to be reminded of it in anyway" Turning around he would lean against the table and sit on it's edge. Now he took a serious look at the 'dwarf', he seemed to be of wealthy descent at least. "I can understand that it will take some convincing to bring you to our 'rebellion', but I do hope in time and after our talk that you will see our side of this and if you do choose to go your own way I only ask that you keep knowledge of me secret or even forget meeting me"

shadovar
07-03-2013, 03:24 PM
Ivar: Ivar takes a close look at the map to see if he recognizes anything about it. (Knowledge(history) check of 25)

rtcvb32
07-03-2013, 03:26 PM
Entering the new headquarters he could smell the recently cleaned stone, the heavy dust around the corners of the door in dark contrast to the much better quarters within. He took note of the Rhat and was curious as he had never seen one before, but speaking he was obviously intelligent. Somehow both Tix and Achetii both seemed more like pets than they did people, and it was somehow hard to consider them otherwise due to their size. At least gnomes looked more like children.

{He turned to look at Asher the one whom Purusartha put his trust} He could tell Asher didn't smell human, but dragons were rare enough he couldn't specifically identify them; At the least he could tell he wasn't human, but... Was he perhaps a tenth dragon instead? "I expected you to look more... Draconic..." Sauel stated, although his words didn't have any doubt that he was a half dragon.

Sauel made sure to be the last one to enter, being probably the one not drunk, not hurt, and not small prey. With the door shutting behind and considered in 'safe' territory again he knelt down to look closer at Tix "And hello to you. I've never seen your kind before". Rabi meanwhile coming with him sniffed at Tix before licking at the Rhat in a friendly gesture, although how it was taken with wolf slober on one's face and muzzle he wasn't sure, and with a gentle nudge kept his companion at bay.

Sauel still had questions of how Purusartha got hurt. Those he was sure would be answered very soon.

Executive Spike
07-03-2013, 03:39 PM
Yorick: Finally noticing the group's arrival he waved to them from the table he was sitting at, cleaning his trident's blades.

"I see everyone's here now. Anything happen while you were out Puru?" He asked the group as he approached, giving a handshake to Ivar. His left hand bandaged to cover the wound from the earlier battle. "Good to meet you Ivar." He said with a smile at Ivar, still trying to keep the mark on his neck hidden.

Looking over Purusartha he said "And I see you're looking a little better at least Purusartha, need any help moving or you'll be fine?"


(OOC: Internet was down guys lol been pretty busy as well sorry for the inactivity)

Narayan
07-03-2013, 03:41 PM
Purusartha: "Amazing! This map was here this whole time under our very noses..." {shakes head slightly in disbelief} "Who found this?! You Yorick? You are good luck as well as a good warrior." {chuckles} "These items were collected by my old friend Roth and I many years ago, as all the evidence that remained of the great slave-rebellion of Qaron over twenty years ago."

Purusartha: "The shackles of course belonged to the slaves, and the weapons and armor belonged to the guards. However, during this rebellion many of the guards took up arms with the slaves against the merchant lord who hired them. This breastplate..." {Purusartha says hefting it in his hands} "...belonged to the guard captain who also became the rebel leader. An older Akhenaten by the name of Malanon."

Purusartha: "The mines were named after Qaron, a desolate desert town nearby, long since abandoned. The miners depended on Qaron as their only ready source of water from its single well. However, after a year the well went dry, and the merchant lord who opened the mines failed to adequately supply the mine with water afterward, thus prompting the rebellion."

Purusartha: "The rebellion was of course swiftly crushed by the Vulkyrie, but Roth and I were inspired by the story of Malanon, a true Summaran who refused to let the slaves die of thirst and put a sword in their hands instead, giving them a fighting chance for life." {Peers closely at the map} "The ruins of Sammuramat..." {Purusartha's eyes get a distant look to them as his mind digs through decades of collected lore and obscure legends.} (Knowledge History check, 18 + 3 = 21, Partial Success)

Purusartha: "It occurs to me that Malanon might have had another agenda volunteering to work at those mines. Sammuramat is the name of a mythical temple, the first temple ever built for Ishvar." {Points to the symbol on the dais in the center of the temple.} "That is Ishvar's holy symbol, the eight-pointed star... Legend holds that Sammuramat was lost during an epic sandstorm that spread the Thayamar desert further inland."

Purusartha: "I am no expert on religious lore however, so I cannot explain much about the importance of the temple, or the impact its loss had on the faithful of Ishvar... the only reason I remember the name of this temple is because it is similar to the name of this kingdom, Summara... and also the name of the valley of Sammara to the north, hailed as the cradle of eastern civilization... currently occupied by the Neferese, but before that was the stronghold of Ishvaran horde and the Theocracy of Al-Malik."

Purusartha: "I used to wonder if there was a reason why these two realms were so similarly named, some common thing that tied them together? I thought perhaps Sammuramat was the key in that regard, because legend speaks that the realms of north and south were once united under the star of Ishvar. And that always confused me, because the Ishvarans presently largely avoid Summara. They speak of it as the lost land"

Purusartha: "I always presumed they referred to it as such because of the Vul occupation, but perhaps there is also another reason? In any case, this map makes me wonder if Malanon actually found Sammuramat, somewhere near Qaron or the mines? If he did so, it stands to reason he evidently wanted to keep that knowledge a secret, probably from the merchant lord he led a rebellion against and the Vul who defeated him. Who knows what secrets and/or powers this temple holds?"

asher dragoone
07-03-2013, 04:01 PM
Closed his eyes in thought as he absorbed the information he was told and he also listened to the the man who thought he should look more draconic. "I make a point to hide my true self as much as possible when around people I do not know" His mind continued to go over the little facts that Purusartha was giving him, some more ideas came to mind. "Perhaps this temple is is in the valley of sammara nearest summara...this could explain the similar names" He didn't know where this mine was though, but it seemed like a likely place to start the search for clues if they were to look for it. "We could obtain great aid from the Ishvarans if we find this temple for them and perhaps even more may join our cause..."

shadovar
07-03-2013, 04:13 PM
Ivar: "Hmm, I seem to remember a bit of lore I picked up in the academy. Your thoughts are mostly correct Purusartha. the north and south lands once were united but the south lost its guiding star. This of course led to a rapid decline of morality in Summara. I know little of gods and religion's of man, but I do know that the sammaran followers of Ishvar are much more warlike and follow a more extreme interpretation of Ishvar's dogma than the summarans once did. Indeed the Ishvarans abandoned these lands when the Vul conquered it." Ivar strokes his beard as he speak the motion assisting his delving into the lore of old.

Narayan
07-03-2013, 04:38 PM
Purusartha: "Intriguing... thanks very much for your added insight Ivar." Purusartha says smiling. "I already found the mines once Asher, Roth and I had too so we could recover these items. I could probably find it again, though it seems a lifetime ago that I laid eyes on them."

Purusartha: {Steps over to Yorick's side} "I'll survive thanks for asking. I think I'm getting too old for this. We were nearly ambushed by Kasha and her wererats on the way back. I managed to chase her off using a very old trick I've been hiding up my sleeve, but you can't fool the same rat with the same trick twice... so I'm sure I'll be seeing Kasha again."

Tix: {Grins and tentatively pets Rabi's fur, enjoying the animals affections wholeheartedly} "Nice to meet you!" He says to Sauel.

shadovar
07-03-2013, 04:45 PM
Ivar: Ivar looks a little perturbed. "Did you say wererats?" he raises an eyebrow in interest.

Narayan
07-03-2013, 05:01 PM
Ivar: Ivar looks a little perturbed. "Did you say wererats?" he raises an eyebrow in interest.

Purusartha: "Thats correct, they're natural rivals for werewolves such as myself, Sauel and Yorick over there. Wererats have long been in control of Masaeus however, gathering here in force while we werewolves prefer to spread out in rural areas. Many wererats also worship an evil god named Vermithrax. Asher, myself, Tix and Yorick had to slay one of their cultists and some of their rhat minions earlier today. That woman, Kasha, is one of the leaders of the cult of Vermithrax. She's a bit angry with me over it, if you couldn't tell." {chuckles}

asher dragoone
07-03-2013, 05:03 PM
Continued his thought processes until he heard Purusartha mention the assassin leader Kasha. "I take it the next meeting will not be a friend one then" No he had no doubt whatsoever about that. They had after all killed some of her people. "We should prepare for that situation when we have time, but as of right now where do we go from here"

Narayan
07-03-2013, 05:17 PM
Achetii: {Eyes go wide upon hearing the news that Purusartha, Sauel and Yorick are werewolves. She nervously moves about the room, taking a look at things not sure what else to do. Not sure if she's safe yet or not.}

shadovar
07-03-2013, 05:28 PM
Ivar: Ivar suddenly stiffens at the revelation. A half dragon is one thing for a dwarf to tolerate a entire room of diseased and cursed wolf-men was another. He backs off of everyone around him, giving him room to make more decisions should anything happen. "And so suddenly I am not only in a den of were-wolves you say, but also having been seen to be associating with them by their hated enemy's the were-rats. Oh this is just grand. NO one thought to mention eh?"

Narayan
07-03-2013, 05:33 PM
Continued his thought processes until he heard Purusartha mention the assassin leader Kasha. "I take it the next meeting will not be a friend one then" No he had no doubt whatsoever about that. They had after all killed some of her people. "We should prepare for that situation when we have time, but as of right now where do we go from here"

Purusartha: "That depends on what you want us to do? You're the prince. I've waited my whole life to take orders from you, but now that that moment has finally come, I find I am very nervous about it. No offense but you're a bit young, and what's worse, you've got no actual experience living in Summara."

Purusartha: {Pauses to step over to the wash basin and refresh himself, wetting a rag to clean his face and hands.} "I've put myself, and everyone in this room in mortal danger gathering us around you so that you can lead us, and hopefully, inspire us. So yes, prince Asher, that is the question... where do we go from here?"

rtcvb32
07-03-2013, 05:53 PM
{Notes Achetii's nervousness and moving away and Ivar's sudden hesitation to the knowledge} ~Seems the cat's out of the bag, so they say~ He thought to himself and gave Tix a pet on the head. Reaching up he undid the collar for Rabi, trusting him not to do anything bad. "Rabi, how about you and tix play a little bit? He loves belly scratches"

Sauel stood up and looked to Ivar. "No one CHOOSES to be a lycanthrope Ivar. It's just one of the facts of life. There are also very large differences between different types. Purusartha is cursed from an attack, I on the other hand was born with it. It makes a very large difference in power and control. Besides, Pack life isn't so bad once you get into it a little..." He shrugs "Besides, being a lycanthrope usually is something you keep private. Unless you advertise it, no one would know you are affected by it. It doesn't make you evil to have it, it merely means you are different, no different than being a dwarf, of keu, or half dragon. It has advantages and disadvantages... I can explain more later if you like."

Sauel felt a bit of heartbreak seeing the little Keu suddenly so scared, she knew for sure she was prey now, and the smell of fear wasn't a good thing to have as it sometimes smelled very good, like food. But she was safe, at least while Sauel was there to defend her. He moved closer to the avian trying not to spook her before squatting down so he was at the same level. "Please don't be afraid of me, I promise I will never bite you."

asher dragoone
07-03-2013, 05:55 PM
Closes his eyes and then clears his throat. This would be his first test as a leader of people and people he did not know particularly well. He did not know their strong points, their weaknesses or even know where they came from, but that was unimportant. "The reason I've come to this city was to sway the Merchant Lord to my side, but this cannot be done until we do things to make him know of us and have some influence...it would be foolish for him to instantly go to my side because of my lineage"

Looking to the side he would eye the dwarf. "It may be that they saw you with them, but I would very well doubt they would place you as an 'ally' being a merchant you could use the pretense of being shown something that is wanted to be sold. It would not even have to be a lie as we do have somethings that we may sell"

Then he turned his attention to the rest of the group. "To resume my earlier thought, we need to have some influence I believe and we need to sway the people to our cause. That said I cannot be the public figure for them to rally behind Yet so one of you may have to be that figure" He would then begin to size up everyone in the room. "Purusartha cannot be this figurehead as he is already known and has enemies...Ivar or Yorick this would be where you two could come in" Taking a brief pause for a sip of water he would resume. "Ivar you could help us gather the resources needed for our 'rebellion' as you put it and Yorick, who better than an ex-gladiator and slave to rally behind? Your freedom can spur on those who are still slaves and help bring them to our side"

Now he would put the cup he was using down and look them in the eyes. "would you all agree to this?" He simply asks.