PDA

View Full Version : [Deadlands] Deadlands

Skunkape
06-25-2007, 08:24 AM
I'm considering purchasing a copy of Deadlands for a western game, (imagine that), I'm going to run for a special Halloween game for my group. Not sure if it's going to be just a one shot or not, but the point of my post is, which Deadlands game system do people like the best? I'm only considering Deadlands D20 or Savage Worlds, as I have both of those systems, so if there are any other versions out there, that's ok, but those aren't in the running for my money, only the D20 or Savage Worlds versions are.

I'm really leaning toward Savage Worlds, as I like how simple that system is compared to D20, and also, I really don't want a level based system for this game. Does the D20 Deadlands game have levels in it? I know that Savage Worlds uses a 'level' system, but it really isn't quite the same as the D20 one with you getting n number of hit points at each level, etc.

Also, I like the Savage Worlds system for how it handles skills, driving lets you drive any vehicle, shooting lets you shoot a gun or bow, etc. Very simple execution of skills and I really don't want a complex system for this game. So if people could give me their opinions of the two Deadlands systems, I'd really appreciate it!

Thanks.

ronpyatt
06-26-2007, 11:25 PM
I've played in a couple Savage Worlds games including Deadlands, and I really like the mechanics; Dramatic and fun.

I have not done a D20 version of Deadlands, but other D20 versions of games I've tried have a different flavor than their original versions. CoC comes to mind. The D20 mechanic can sometimes take away the flavor of the setting, mostly because of character creation/leveling.

I could see Serenity done in Savage Worlds.

Mulsiphix
12-24-2007, 12:43 AM
I actually just found out about Savage Worlds the other day. I'll have to check it out soon. I know this is a pretty old thread but I just had to add that the original Deadlands is the best in my opinion. How can you beat using poker chips and standard playing cards? I haven't seen anything else quite like it and I personally enjoyed it very much. I own the original, D20, and GURPS deadlands core rulebooks and my vote is solid for the classic version.

MortonStromgal
01-19-2008, 01:04 AM
I haven't played the d20 version but the Savage Worlds one is ok. The mechanics are based on the old system with a more modern rpg rule style. Sorta like when we moved from AD&D 2nd to D&D 3.0. If I didn't have the old books I would go with Savage Worlds.