PDA

View Full Version : All things OOC

Pages : 1 [2]

rtcvb32
04-30-2014, 07:18 PM
Sounds a bit like HeroSystem with their abort system. In HeroSystem if you haven't yet taken your turn, or it's after your segment but before your next turn, you can 'abort' to take a defensive action which boosts your AC/DCV, which then carries with you til your next usable action where you can do something. So if you abort to dodge and get +2 DCV using your next turn, that sticks until the turn after (since you're just being defensive).

Narayan
05-06-2014, 10:59 PM
Forgot to mention, we're using DDS 131 now as the dice room on rolz.org

rtcvb32
05-22-2014, 10:43 PM
Alright, I might or might not be active/avaliable the next two weeks. I'll try and keep up and reply when possible, but GF went on vacation and we might go camping, or shopping, or hang out or do work elsewhere, etc, so I can't guarantee a prompt reply as usual. If I'll be gone 2-3 days in a row I'll let you all know, otherwise this is my warning I might not be avaliable as much these next two weeks...

p3sent
05-27-2014, 05:54 PM
Hi! I'm sent, if all things indeed align I'll be joining you with the character Ersun Durim. I'd tell about him but I suppose it's more interesting to learn along the game. :)

voidoblivion
05-29-2014, 02:06 AM
welcome

Hillsy
05-29-2014, 07:52 AM
Howdy. Welcome aboard

Daydreaming
05-31-2014, 04:11 PM
Hi! I'm sent, if all things indeed align I'll be joining you with the character Ersun Durim. I'd tell about him but I suppose it's more interesting to learn along the game. :)

Feel free to send me a character description with height, weight, appearance, etc... the more descriptive the better. I will add it to our obsidian portal once you join the game. :o

rtcvb32
06-03-2014, 03:15 AM
Not to be greatly off topic, but since this is OOC... I've been reading a series called 'Dragon in the dungeon' which as far as I know is an online novel. Although containing some 'adult' scenes it has captured my attention so much just for it's grander story. Although I'll warn you, I've broken into tears in the story several times, but I've come to love all the characters far more than I ever expected I would. If anyone is interested I will likely post you a reference to it via PM/note.

Daydreaming
06-05-2014, 08:30 PM
If anyone is interested I will likely post you a reference to it via PM/note.
Yeah man sounds interesting, send me a link to it if you don't mind. :D

Daydreaming
06-11-2014, 11:49 AM
[[OOC sorry for the massive delay, life has been rough with an eviction from our place of residence]]
Sorry to hear that man, that sucks... I hope everything is okay now?

Shun001
06-11-2014, 07:34 PM
still getting evicted, gotta move 3 families in the next 2 months and get 3 cars situated. I also need to pop up on some of my paychecks just to barely clear this transition.

voidoblivion
06-12-2014, 02:47 PM
ouch. best of luck moving.

rtcvb32
06-16-2014, 03:44 AM
Re-watched a short series regarding slings, usage, making, etc. Then I made a few slings, not too hard.

However something that seems to be present and is annoying, is that slings are presented as this almost useless weapon and there's no Prestige classes or building on it for something better. It's 'a worse longbow' as I've seen in a discussion regarding slings, while slings themselves are very effective weapons, especially with lead bullets, so 1d4 damage is way too low, yet...

I wonder though, there's a campaign setting I'd like to play called NeverWhen. NeverWhen treats hitpoints as minor scratches and rashes and getting bruises, while giving you 'wound points' which is 1.5x your CON (and doesn't go up). It also makes it so crit damage ignores the multiplier and goes straight to wounding (along with backstab damage from rouges) which makes deadly stuff actually deadly, even at 20th level. (20 con? 30 Wound points. Got backstabbed in the spine for 34 points? yeah you're dead... your 160hp? No, you're dead...)

Anyways half ranting...

edit:
As I'm reading through the pathfinder thread on slings see link (http://paizo.com/threads/rzs2q0qa?What-is-the-DEAL-with-slings) it's becoming more and more apparent the slings inferiority is based solely on the dev's belief that classes and characters should be played one way and one way only. Options are given to play another way, but they are severely inferior and making the sling useless past 1st-2nd level. While in 2nd Edition and maybe 3.0/3.5 Halflings had a racial bonus to using them.

Probably the easiest fix is someone needs to take a Martial feat for the sling (Halflings and fighters would already be proficient), then in all basic cases the sling is treated (in stats, sources, damage, reload, etc) as though it's a long bow (basically reskin). Feats also qualify even if they explicitly say they don't (like rapid reload, although that's more for crossbows and not needed if you automatically get it if it's treated like a bow, if it isn't it takes like 7 feats to catch up). I can't help but think if we switch to HeroSystem all these problems go away...

Anyways, video for Slings: 1 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=covH4voKukw) 2 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sGSsbCPeocU) 3 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lU87f5o8vMg) 4 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ivsfp9y9E6g) 5 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gXiUDJRgiUc)

edit2: Finished reading the whole thread before it got locked. In short the ciretose who says 'slings are fine as they are doing 1/4th hp/level' was then shown a build where an anemic NPC class using inferior stats and feats still managed to qualify 1/4th damage, which was something like 10 a round by 7th level. Then when he said he could try and get a comparable result vs an Archer and try to get 75% (and later tried to downplay it to 56%) of the damage, he cheated and broke the rules several times. Half his posts through the whole thread was he skimming through material and his favorite quote of slings going out of favor when obviously history showed otherwise.

But there were a few things I noticed and picked up. The sling being what it is uses centrifugal force and lets you throw an object faster than if you did it without the sling. Also since it was blunt force and ignored armor and could kill horses and soldiers without causing bleeding, perhaps the sling should be 'touch attack' which ignores armor. Also the STR bonus should be x1.5 (as two handed) or x2. Finally feats that qualify for the bow or thrown weapons also include the sling (Even if it explicitly states otherwise since they were trying to undermine the sling, making it a weak weapon on purpose). If the stats aren't taken from the longbow, then the bullets should get their own bit. -1 to hit for river stones. (1d4). Clay bullets (like aztecs) 1d6, Iron/steel 2d4, and lead glandes 2d6 (those things are mean!).

In all honesty I'd like to try out a sorcerer who enchants and creates his own bullets, and then uses them in battle. But in a PbP game it's a little too slow for such a narrow concentration of skills.

Anyways, I don't know if Narayan wants to houserule to make slings and their halfling version sling-staffs more useful as no one currently is using one (but if it is a halfway workable option, it just might get used more...).

Daydreaming
06-19-2014, 03:27 AM
Oh man... I played this song 30+ times today haha... I just thought I would share, because it's so amazing.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=133AlNpsopA (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=133AlNpsopA)

Narayan
06-22-2014, 12:34 AM
http://ww1.prweb.com/prfiles/2011/02/25/4692144/file1.jpg

Daydreaming
06-22-2014, 09:13 PM
LOL! That's terrible Nar... It's like the Vul are the Nazis!

rtcvb32
06-23-2014, 12:56 AM
That probably wouldn't be far from the truth....

Narayan
07-02-2014, 02:12 AM
Emiko mentioned a good point that we forgot about Cael's body before you left the cellar of The Drunken Fool. I had her edit her post #120 and I responded for Sher' Reek in post #126. Basically she offered to place his body in a bag of holding to make it easier to transport. So that is retroactively where his body is now. Just fyi.

rtcvb32
07-02-2014, 02:31 AM
I've added the Warslinger class I've been working on a few weeks ago to the avaliable classes (https://sion.obsidianportal.com/wikis/classes) (On Obsidian Portal), and added sling weapon updates to the armor/weapons (https://sion.obsidianportal.com/wikis/armor-and-weapons) sections. Narayan has approved it (as far as I can tell), although the class may need a little tweaking/balancing later once it's been fully tested.

Narayan
07-03-2014, 01:32 AM
So it seems our usual dice roller (rolz.org) is down... dunno for how long... but we have to assume the worst. I've found another dice roller online that looks promising. Much easier to use at least... Here is the link...

https://dicelog.com/dice

Please everyone go there and register an account with an email address and let me know what it is so I can add you to the dice room's user list.

my email is: crowsontheskulls@gmail.com you can try using that to find the dice room and seeing if you can enter it but I presume you need to register an account and let me add you first.

Shun001
07-03-2014, 03:33 AM
To help pass time with Xiaolong being less then human and out of my control the DM has allowed me to start up a new character to play, this in no way means I will subtract any attention from Xiaolong but lets face it... its gonna be a long day with the full moon on the horizon.

Here is a preview of the new char.

Narayan
07-03-2014, 03:07 PM
disregard my previous post about rolz.org... it appears to be back up and we didn't loose any data.

Narayan
07-07-2014, 05:13 PM
I've started to realize there's not enough note taking being done in the game on your character sheets. Fill out your contacts/friends and enemies sections as we go along in the game. That'll make it easier for you to remember who you've met down the road. Same goes for rumors, plans, places... reminders about stuff you might want to remember later on. Put that stuff under Private Notes at the bottom of your sheet.

I'll reward players who maintain good note-keeping with bonus build points at xp-rewards time.

Daydreaming
07-08-2014, 04:02 AM
I feel like I'm in school again hahaha! ;)

Narayan
07-11-2014, 06:11 PM
I haven't heard from Zemile in 2 weeks, so I am moving his character to Hiatus-Status and opening the slot to a potential new player... if one doth appear anytime soon... Didn't you say you were trying to bring someone in Daydreaming?

Narayan
07-12-2014, 02:45 AM
So I spent some time today drawing a map for the large town of Cabarda and filling out the wiki page for it under the Kingdom of Vulkh. It's not totally finished yet but here's the link...

https://sion.obsidianportal.com/wikis/cabarda

as usual if you want to view the map in full-scale right-click and select 'open in new tab'.

Narayan
07-14-2014, 08:47 PM
So I've started to realize after a year that a LOT of material has been put down. Even I occasionally forget things... so to make it easier for new players to come in, and for the rest of us to reference things, I'm working on few things.

First, a list of ALL the characters: http://www.penandpapergames.com/forums/showthread.php/29505-List-of-All-Characters

Second, a campaign summary: http://www.penandpapergames.com/forums/showthread.php/29506-Campaign-Summary

Third will be an itemized list of experience rewards, treasure that has been found, and other items including notes and maps and the such.

This will all take some time to finish but check out the progress and let me know if you have any other helpful ideas in this regard.

rtcvb32
07-14-2014, 09:56 PM
Hmmm as I'm thinking about it and looking this over, I'd almost wonder if something like TDDC (http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLylLGJF4VZY7Wya1zdWY3ExLfitPCdJEN) (Tales from my D&D campaign) would work, where someone who has a decent voice pod-casts 10-20 minute chunk episodes, each summarizes a month's worth of gameplay (give or take). Pictures and audio and summarizing while throwing out less important boring details, as well as adding comedy could make it an interesting series.

But that's a thrown out idea there and would probably take someone who has a lot of time on their hands and patience...

Daydreaming
07-14-2014, 10:45 PM
Hmmm as I'm thinking about it and looking this over, I'd almost wonder if something like TDDC (http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLylLGJF4VZY7Wya1zdWY3ExLfitPCdJEN) (Tales from my D&D campaign) would work, where someone who has a decent voice pod-casts 10-20 minute chunk episodes, each summarizes a month's worth of gameplay (give or take). Pictures and audio and summarizing while throwing out less important boring details, as well as adding comedy could make it an interesting series.

But that's a thrown out idea there and would probably take someone who has a lot of time on their hands and patience...

I might be able to get my boyfriend to help me make one actually hahah! He does a podcast of his own where he interviews other directors (he is a director and producer for commercials). I will ask once he is over being sick and see what he thinks haha.

Yes Narayan, One person had talked to me about joining, but I don't think they're up for it anymore. My boyfriend mentioned it looks like a lot of fun, so I might be able to get him to play, and he might even be able to pick up one of the already made characters just to try things out at first. Keep in mind though I still need to talk to him about all this and I just got back from a weekend of camping with my family, so I am sore hahah. I almost broke my finger on an auto-pop out camp chair that clamp pinched my finger like a rat trap. I had my finger in a makeshift splint for two days, but I still caught some fish hahah.

voidoblivion
07-15-2014, 07:07 AM
Sorry for the slow posting it is midterms and I just got back from a conference. have been gone for almost a week and did not even crack the e-mail. it was a school leadership conference.

Narayan
07-16-2014, 12:19 AM
So I've been working to improve and simplify the descriptions of the different human cultures to help new players get a feel for them. Take a look. And I've decided to change the name of the Kingdom of Wromos to the Kingdom of Barossa.

rtcvb32
07-26-2014, 03:20 AM
That was certainly a long post, and a good way to get all the NPC's voices and conversations through at once. Of course with at least three PC's just deciding to pass out simplifies it a little...

Just wonder what's planned for the next day/night...

Narayan
07-26-2014, 11:42 AM
Yeah I had a bit of a debate with myself about what to do while your PC's are asleep. Normally I wouldn't post for just NPC's but it seemed far-fetched that nothing would be happening while you rest. I considered waiting for the NPC's to start discussing things until you woke later, but having a huge discussion at one time between four PC's and even more NPC's would take a while and probably not go smoothly.

This way, I can write out a lot of the discussion about how to organize the group, possible strategies about your next move, etc., beforehand. Obviously your PC's will still have input about everything, but at least now I can say... Purusartha fill's you in on what they've been discussing... and you'll already know the gist of it through player-knowledge via my next few posts without the need to explain.

It might seem kinda slow to just be reading about NPC's for the new couple posts but at least after you wake up later it'll be faster.

I hope that makes sense?

rtcvb32
07-26-2014, 02:40 PM
I don't mind reading the interactions of the NPC's, they are just as interesting as the PC's. I have a lot of trouble finding myself interested to read what's going on with the other PC's that started elsewhere and haven't joined or met us yet though...

Hillsy
07-30-2014, 06:43 PM
Oooops....sorry guys I think I got tripped up with the break in the PCs narative in the main storyline and kinda forgot to post too....sorry about that. Looks like everyone's having a nap at the moment...hehe.

I'm excited to see how this all ties together?

Shun001
07-31-2014, 09:08 AM
eventually you'll tie in, unfortunately with PBP moving or doing anything is not the fastest process

Narayan
09-01-2014, 01:16 AM
Apologies all for being afk... had to get geared up for school cause classes started... then it was my birthday last friday, followed by drama for the rest of the weekend. All is well now I will do my best to catch up and keep things going.

rtcvb32
09-01-2014, 03:34 PM
Doesn't help I've probably been totally out of it the last 2 weeks... and might be another week or two.

On the other hand been working on knots and making nets... next project is probably a hammock...

Zemile
09-01-2014, 06:14 PM
Apologies all for being afk... had to get geared up for school cause classes started... then it was my birthday last friday, followed by drama for the rest of the weekend. All is well now I will do my best to catch up and keep things going.

I am still at PAX, won't be home for 2+ more days, so when I say I didn't notice, it was because I was distracted.

rtcvb32
09-02-2014, 03:27 AM
As a note, the last week of this month (September) I will probably not easily be able to reply. Although by that point I don't know if we'll be awake yet...

Slow PbP... I need a real game face-to-face soon... and not just during the trip I'm gone.

Narayan
09-06-2014, 02:03 AM
Dark Days in Sion is on Hiatus

It pains me to say it but I have to put this game on Hiatus for a while... with full time work and school I've barely had time to turn on my computer much less do any writing. At the end of this semester I will see about getting something going again, but probably on a smaller scale. I'm sure you all will find other games to play in the meantime and I encourage that. You've all been great players and I appreciate your contributions. I hope you enjoyed it while it lasted, I think we should all be proud of what we accomplished. It was as detailed of a story as I've ever seen for a play-by-post, and being that it was my first play-by-post I learned a lot from it.

Narayan
05-20-2015, 01:07 AM
Back in Business!

p3sent
05-20-2015, 08:47 AM
Its nice to have it back and welcome to the new players!

Ziechael
05-20-2015, 09:13 AM
Can't wait to get my beak into this, thanks for having me aboard :)

Ivan
05-20-2015, 05:58 PM
Yea can't wait, its gonna rock :D

rtcvb32
05-20-2015, 07:55 PM
I wish I could share your enthusiasm... honestly the group says it doesn't exist, so I couldn't look at any of the old posts. Plus with how many there are, there would be a lot to re-read (probably a good week) not to mention the amount of mental energy to put aside to play again.

edit: Well... It says the group exists NOW... didn't like an hour ago and definitely not last week when I tried to look up a few things.

Ziechael
05-21-2015, 01:44 AM
Narayan looks to be summarising the old posts into bite-sized chunks which will be really useful for us new players :)

Narayan
05-21-2015, 03:20 AM
p3sent had an interesting question, which was how the current average character level related to the average level among NPCS in the world of Sion?

I designed this world with level 20 being the realistic level cap. Level 5 and below is relatively common, 6-8 is rather uncommon (1-3 individuals in a small town), 9-10 is certainly uncommon (1 individual in a large town), 11-12 is relatively rare (1 individual in a small city), 13-14 is rare (1-3 individuals in a major city), and 15+ is certainly rare (1-3 individuals in a whole region). Level 20 is probably only 1-3 individuals in a whole kingdom depending on the size of the kingdom. (I have only created 1 NPC for this game thus far that is 20th level)

Those numbers are also by individual race... so long as the races are more or less equal and have the same rights and opportunities as others. Dominant races with greater populations will tend to have more high level characters than weaker ones. (Think Dwarves vs. Goblins)

However, this is not always the case. For example the Vul, a clear minority, are much higher level, per individual, than other races (They have an ECL+3 to start with). Vulkyrie especially go through very rigorous training and years of experience patrolling the borders before they are considered ready to take up a a guard post in a major city like Masaeus (Average Vulkyrie Guard is 7th level), which obviously helps inspire dread among larger groups of weaker humanoids.

The other Vul, namely the young, the ones who raise the young, and the old (the ruling seniority) are kept away from sight in their impenetrable high mountain rookeries where its safest. So long as that is the case, most humans continue to believe the Vul are much stronger as a race then they actually are because they observe nothing to the contrary.

Just food for thought...

Ziechael
05-21-2015, 04:06 AM
Thanks for that, really helps with forward planning ~should i attack that Vul patrol at level 3?~ The answer is now a definite no! Roll on Level 15+, will be nice to be in the top percentile group lol...

Ivan
05-21-2015, 06:10 AM
~should i attack that Vul patrol at level 3?~

*Wrenwil looks the other way and slinks down an alleyway out of sight* hehe.

Man I'm busting to start on this :D

Daydreaming
05-22-2015, 10:56 PM
Welcome new players!
I'm so happy the game is starting up again. I'm Narayan's graphic arts person, and general helper for fancy stuff dealing with the game. :hippie:
My character is my favorite I've made so far, since playing D&D, and I'm looking forward to playing with her more. Her name is Emiko for the new people, and here is her sheet if you want to check her out: http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheet.html?_=1429653493#id=215073

Daydreaming
05-22-2015, 11:26 PM

Narayan... you better change that character shit... I'm not an NPC you turd... haha! :nono:

Ivan
05-23-2015, 02:56 AM
Hi Daydreaming, pleased to meet you! *bows*
Looking forward to it greatly :D

Ziechael
05-23-2015, 04:41 AM
Narayan... you better change that character shit... I'm not an NPC you turd... haha! :nono:

How do we know you aren't just an extremely sophisticated NPC complete with AI? hmm...

shadovar
05-25-2015, 02:50 PM
<.<
>.>
I sense.... Activity.

Ziechael
05-26-2015, 03:03 AM
<.<
>.>
I sense.... Activity.

Where?!? It's not bugs is it...
I... Hate... Bugs!!!

shadovar
05-26-2015, 10:11 AM
Where?!? It's not bugs is it...
I... Hate... Bugs!!!

I would hardly know. Are you a bug? Hmmmm no, You are not a cockroach. Strange... inundated with cockroaches, I am. Black ones, four limbs, nasty, spiky things. Are you spiky? If so, my Ribbons will pluck your spines.
Malachai liked spines. Liked my spine. Pretty spine, bejeweled and bountiful. Enough to make an empire weep.
Do you weep, Not-a-Cockroach? I do. Tears are infinite. Why, on this very day, I have found a new reason to cry.

Daydreaming
05-28-2015, 03:22 AM
Hi Daydreaming, pleased to meet you! *bows*
Looking forward to it greatly :D

You as well my friend. :D

How do we know you aren't just an extremely sophisticated NPC complete with AI? hmm...

I do have a cybertwin on the internet that I've been programming over the years haha. It's a pretty cool system that simulates an AI. A lot of people who I've let talk to it, thought it was actually me some of the time haha. ;)

I would hardly know. Are you a bug? Hmmmm no, You are not a cockroach. Strange... inundated with cockroaches, I am. Black ones, four limbs, nasty, spiky things. Are you spiky? If so, my Ribbons will pluck your spines.
Malachai liked spines. Liked my spine. Pretty spine, bejeweled and bountiful. Enough to make an empire weep.
Do you weep, Not-a-Cockroach? I do. Tears are infinite. Why, on this very day, I have found a new reason to cry.

Ah... Shadovar... You so crazy... hahah. Only the most salad-tossed schizophrenic minds would understand the language you've just written. I think it translates to: "No, there's no bugs, and how do you do good sir?" :yo:

Daydreaming
05-28-2015, 03:38 AM

Well Ersun, it looks like I'll be creating a secondary character to play with for now, and you may run into her.... ;)

Her name is Aesedai, and she's a dancer of sorts... and yes I got that name from the Wheel of Time series hahaha.

p3sent
05-28-2015, 08:16 AM
O, finally some company, nice! :D
Hah, I hope she won't be a Red... or Black. Other colors are welcome :P

shadovar
05-30-2015, 04:04 PM
Lances and craddles I'm in. ^_^ what should I make Narayan?

Narayan
05-30-2015, 04:24 PM
Eeeeeeeeexcelent *wrings hands together with pleasure* Make a Barossan Fighter/Rogue Shadovar.

> Click this: https://sion.obsidianportal.com/wikis/kingdom-of-barossa <

Ivan
05-31-2015, 05:21 AM
Daydreaming, a Dancer! Oh yea, Wrenwil is pleased :D

shadovar
05-31-2015, 05:40 PM
Hey Narayan @_@ you getting my messages?

shadovar
06-01-2015, 06:23 PM
okay yall my character is ready :D

Narayan
06-21-2015, 05:04 PM
So I'm having a bit of a conundrum here and I want to make some points about the game. Because this is a play-by-post, certain aspects take longer to play-through in real time. I can go on forever with all the fluff of making the journey north day by day but unless there are any other questions and/or roleplaying planned from Garrisan and/or Wrenwil in regards to Ordechai, or each other, I am going to skip ahead to when you reach the 'Restless Sands'.

Roleplaying opportunities are important for both character development and information gathering. Understand that neither of your characters know each others motives, fears or backstory yet. (And the same goes with your characters and the NPC's you've met) Both Garrisan and Wrenwil are complete strangers to each other, so if you don't utilize this chance to communicate with each other (and the other NPC's your adventuring with) you won't make a good team.

Basically as the DM I have to make a call about weather or not events in the game are important towards plot development and moving the story along in a meaningful way because other pc's are waiting for certain events to happen before they can get involved. I don't want to jip anyone out of important rp'ing opportunities, but at the same time I can't drag them on forever if they aren't being used effectively. It'll be your loss if you don't take the time to learn who to trust or otherwise lack information you need to help you make important decisions and judgment calls when your characters fate is on the line.

shadovar
06-21-2015, 06:04 PM
I was gonna wait for night fall to make a move on the dwarf and talk to other characters. sorry for my lack of pacing. been busy digging in what amounts to a desert made of clay >.< I can try to be more open with the character but I was holding back as he is kinda in the middle of shit that could get him killed. not the best time to make friends and all. its more like lets just burn everyone so it can't be traced back to me >.> ...

Narayan
06-21-2015, 06:22 PM
I was gonna wait for night fall to make a move on the dwarf and talk to other characters.

Ok that's fine, lets see what Wrenwil says? I don't mind running a scene after night falls if that's when you plan on making your move. Also, I made fate pool rolls for you for that spot and listen check I asked you to make a while back. You succeeded on your spot check to see the hill dwarves giving Ordechai dirty looks but failed on your listen check to overhear Ordechai's conversation with Wrenwil.

shadovar
06-21-2015, 06:46 PM
okay I was just kinda assuming I failed miserably cause I didn't post for so long :P

Ivan
06-21-2015, 07:29 PM
Hi Narayan, thanks for your message, and apologies for the slowness. Wrenwil's a bit of an introvert and just needed to recover from his less than ideal boat ride. I'll get stuck into a bit of quick but intensive "investigation" in a post soon, and then soon after feel free to fast forward to evening or whenever suits. Wrenwil needs to do some "stuff" at nightfall too... which might help Gazza learn more about him and spark off a conversation.

Narayan
06-21-2015, 08:04 PM
Hi Narayan, thanks for your message, and apologies for the slowness. Wrenwil's a bit of an introvert and just needed to recover from his less than ideal boat ride. I'll get stuck into a bit of quick but intensive "investigation" in a post soon, and then soon after feel free to fast forward to evening or whenever suits. Wrenwil needs to do some "stuff" at nightfall too... which might help Gazza learn more about him and spark off a conversation.

Ok Ivan sounds good

Narayan
06-29-2015, 11:16 AM
Since this forum has issues and not likely to last much longer, we should consider alternatives... any suggestions?

The hard part of course will be copying all the game threads so they can be uploaded elsewhere... :help:

Narayan
06-30-2015, 12:38 AM
It seems I have a cold, so I may be taking a break from posting for a day or two. No big deal I will keep things going as soon as I feel up to it.

Ivan
06-30-2015, 05:55 AM
Hey Narayan, take it easy mate, get better! Colds are a pain in the arse :(
Im happy to try and help with a copy / paste as discussed, or do you think the site administrators might be able to help us out with a download / backup?
My offer to host a forum for you still stands, or do we just take the whole gig to MW or something?
The game / story is too good to lose!!!

Narayan
06-30-2015, 11:27 AM
I already sent a message to the site owner here about a game backup over a month ago but no answer.

Myth-weavers is a neat idea, I know there are some seriously talented gamers there, but I wonder if the game threads will have the same level of text formatting we enjoy here? Or the same level of administrative controls and thread tools?

A new forum might be the best idea, but I won't be any help there as I know next to zilch about coding or web-page making. (other than that stuff they use to format obsidian portal pages)

rtcvb32
06-30-2015, 07:24 PM

Perhaps this will do the job? (mostly)

Narayan
07-01-2015, 04:06 PM
Thank you rtc!

I think that will be helpful... although personally I dunno what to do with .html files... but someone else likely does?

rtcvb32
07-01-2015, 07:52 PM
Well I can write a script to strip out unneeded formatting and extra garbage, and turn it into entries to go into a Database, or another forum for posting with formatting that's appropriate, or as text files... The zip/7z file is a quick easy backup in case the site suddenly goes down or we lose the PBP we have going. Yeah it contains no images but some of those are missing anyways.

Although posting all the posts to Obsidian Portal would be a pain, as the formatting as I recall was a little wonky and took work to get the different classes/pages to come out right, complex enough I had to write a custom script to assist me.

Anyways...

Narayan
07-01-2015, 08:32 PM
Well I can write a script to strip out unneeded formatting and extra garbage, and turn it into entries to go into a Database, or another forum for posting with formatting that's appropriate, or as text files... The zip/7z file is a quick easy backup in case the site suddenly goes down or we lose the PBP we have going. Yeah it contains no images but some of those are missing anyways.

Although posting all the posts to Obsidian Portal would be a pain, as the formatting as I recall was a little wonky and took work to get the different classes/pages to come out right, complex enough I had to write a custom script to assist me.

Anyways...

Yeah I dunno how we need to format it for easy upload to another forum? I've never tried that before. I'm pretty sure that sort of thing would be under administrator purview because it could easily be considered 'flooding' or 'spamming' to post a new thread with hundreds of posts from another forum.

Besides that, even if we did manage to upload a thread into another forum would we have any control over it? Could we go back in and edit individual posts when the usernames of those posts aren't actually tied to an account under the same name on the new forum?

In any case, posting it up under the 'Adventure Log' on Obsidian Portal would be horribly impractical because the whole thing would have to be rewritten to use their formatting.

rtcvb32
07-01-2015, 09:58 PM
Yeah I dunno how we need to format it for easy upload to another forum?

Depends on the formatting used. saved as html everything will be tags like <b>bold</b>, so those are easy enough to convert to say BBcode. As for OP it would be *bold* instead. Using regex would do the job with some intelligent work.

As for spamming, you probably wouldn't spam, but it would make for a few very very large posts, as i certainly wouldn't want to do every post as separate. it would be more like

rtcvb32: Date/Time DD/MM/YY
My post

xxxx: Date/Time DD/MM/YY
xxxx's post.

Or if it's BBcode based or we can use quoting..

<quote user="rtcvb32" datetime="0123456789">
My post
</quote>

etc.

If i was given a formatting for the DB i could write it to output as mySQL code, which would all probably be inserts... But i don't see an admin allowing that...

If we just need a place to host the pages I have a site we can off reference to and strip the pnpgames stuff off, then no formatting is needed (although some of the css might have to be copied/modified).

Ivan
07-02-2015, 01:23 AM
woohoo backup! Had a look, nice, it's really kind of them to provide this for us. It is definitely workable data, nothing to worry about.

Myth-weavers is a neat idea, I know there are some seriously talented gamers there, but I wonder if the game threads will have the same level of text formatting we enjoy here? Or the same level of administrative controls and thread tools?

I've been fiddling with MW quite a lot... and find that although a fairly simple interface, it can be made to do the job well. In particular I like the:
* Incorporated dice rolling direct into posts
* Ability to archive pages etc with one click
* An established community of gamers who you can recruit from when needed.

The downside is the tools for a DM are very basic, but if it's text, dice rolls and neatly threaded gaming, then it seems to do the job.

This isn't the opinion of an expert by any means, been sussing it out for only a few weeks so far.

With your existing story backup, I can always host that for you and you can create a link to our "Archives" at MW and just redirect people there for read only access... just an idea.

rtcvb32
07-02-2015, 02:21 AM
woohoo backup! Had a look, nice, it's really kind of them to provide this for us. It is definitely workable data, nothing to worry about.

Did they provide a better backup than what I provided? Hmmm.

Regardless I'll probably look over the html and page formats, then determine what needs to be ripped out and update links or combine them into a single page layout for each thread. Really not sure how we'll do attachments or images yet, since to keep it tiny and minimal I told it basically to go nowhere and not download other unrelated threads form the site (site downloader program... it's complicated).

Ivan
07-02-2015, 04:58 AM
Sorry rtcvb32, I didnt realise you had done the html crawl/download for us :) Nice work mate! I assumed the link had been supplied by the site owner woops ;)

Ivan
07-06-2015, 05:46 AM
Wow nice twist there in the main thread! Thanks for the surprise! and welcome Shun001 :cool:

Shun001
07-08-2015, 12:04 AM
Wow nice twist there in the main thread! Thanks for the surprise! and welcome Shun001 :cool:

Thanks Ivan, as the player of Xiaolong Shu I always make an effort to provide an engaging and team building character

Narayan
07-20-2015, 01:17 AM
Ok well I am trying to recruit more players for the game on myth-weavers...

http://www.myth-weavers.com/showthread.php?t=319233 (http://www.myth-weavers.com/game.php?&g=23875)

If anyone wants to put up adds elsewhere, feel free to do so and have potential players contact me.

Ivan
07-21-2015, 06:31 PM
I see a MW mod left a note about advertising, perhaps we need to remind them of the MW rule which states:

...hybrid games, which are defined as a game that may be played through other means (such as Roll20 or IRC), but which uses Myth Weavers resources such as sheets or an OOC forum. Games being played in this manner are allowed and can be advertised for.

Sion is clearly a hybrid game, and potentially transitioning into a full MW game, up to you if you want to remind them of this.

Narayan
07-21-2015, 08:34 PM
Thanks for that Ivan, I did PM that admin or moderator or whatever he is to pass on that message.

Kinda irks me that forums are so protective of their 'space'. It's the freaking internet and gamers should be above that petty advertising-revenue crap. What a shitty vibe to give someone that potentially wants to host a game to say... you must commit to running the game here before you can advertise it, even before you know if you'll find any players here. What's the point of that??? Not very friendly.

Ivan
07-22-2015, 01:12 AM
*sigh* I hear you buddy. The age old notions of friendship and hospitality appear to be long gone on a lot of these sites. I've been around the block a few times this past year, one site sent such a rude PM to me that I never went back. Another outright banned me for creating a character that wasn't a sword of truth wielding tan-skinned Conan impersonator, and a the list goes on. They all deserve a giant celestial bee-sting to their behinds! I really love Sion, it's matter of fact, straight to the point, and everyone is approachable. All I can say in defense of MW, is that I'd be surprised if a talented creator like yourself cant muster a few more high quality players over there :)

Narayan
07-22-2015, 09:41 PM
Hmm interesting... the moderator answered my PM. Apparently he has to consult with the site admin about that point you brought up so we'll see what happens.

Ivan
07-24-2015, 12:53 AM
Kryslogious: Keep the armor on buddy, this could all turn pear shaped at any moment! :lol: :lol: Wrenwil's a bit of a cluster magnet at the moment.

Narayan: Good news mate, hopefully they see some sense in letting you hybrid this, and advertise until such as time as you know if it can be a comfortable transition or not.

Narayan
08-05-2015, 12:56 AM
Myth-weavers apparently does not care to give my game any serious consideration because none of their moderators have told me what their decision is. So be it, their loss... after some deliberation, I have thus decided to move the game to enworld.org It is larger, more stable, and clearly much more popular than this forum. I think odds are good we will find some more good players there. Also. they actually have even more thread formatting features than this forum does.

Game invite thread: http://www.enworld.org/forum/showthread.php?466447-Dark-Days-in-Sion-play-by-post&p=6675465#post6675465

Start Here! thread: http://www.enworld.org/forum/showthread.php?466446-Dark-Days-in-Sion-Start-Here!&p=6675451#post6675451

I will ask you all to kindly register over there. My username there is the same as here 'narayan' so please feel free to send me a pm and/or add me as a friend when you do. The plan is, when everyone is ready to go over there, we will start the next scene for the game on their forum instead of this one. Hopefully we can also copy and transfer these game threads as an archive at some point. Any questions???

p3sent
08-05-2015, 05:45 AM
Alright, I've registered and friended you.

Ivan
08-05-2015, 05:54 AM
I've joined up. Username is "97mg" as "Ivan" was taken.