PDA

View Full Version : Looking for Generic Mini based RPGs

Robert Schumacher
06-23-2013, 09:50 PM
I am looking for a Generic RPG system that would let me use any mini. While I know that GURPS is a point system that technically would allow me to do that; I'm looking for a easier system for me to use, it can be a D20 system or anything else. Something that if I have a "Barbarian" style mini I can quickly build a Barbarian, Fighter, or anything else just by looking at him and choosing approximate weapons and class skills. One that can also work with Monsters from any game system; Cipher Studios, War Hammer, Reaper, and lists of other smaller mini companies. Are there any systems that can do that?

nijineko
06-24-2013, 02:29 PM
have you looked at gurps lite? free, simple, easy to run.

Robert Schumacher
06-24-2013, 11:06 PM
I use GURPs its my perfered system. Its a very flexable system, but people get worried about all the options. So I'm looking for more of a system that someone can just grab a mini and assume that the charter they build is gonna do what the mini looks like. I don't know of any so that's why I ask.

Skunkape
06-25-2013, 01:55 PM
Have you looked at Basic Role-Playing by Chaosium? They have a lite version PDF of the rules that should give you enough information that you'll need to decide if you want to purchase the full rules.

BRP Lite Rules (http://catalog.chaosium.com/product_info.php?products_id=3700[/URL)

nijineko
06-25-2013, 07:02 PM
I use GURPs its my perfered system. Its a very flexable system, but people get worried about all the options. So I'm looking for more of a system that someone can just grab a mini and assume that the charter they build is gonna do what the mini looks like. I don't know of any so that's why I ask.

gurps lite has minimal options. it is focused on immediate game play.

however... if you want a mini oriented game, you could go with either the d&d miniatures game (each mini has a stat card which are all free online downloads, iirc; or there is a clone of which is available via the Vassal game client) or you could go with heroclix or something similar. the clix games are specific to their minis.

Lazarus
06-25-2013, 07:16 PM
Can't beat Savage Worlds. It has some very simple mini rules in addition to the solid RPG rules to go with it.

Robert Schumacher
06-26-2013, 09:43 PM
I've played one quick game with Savage worlds so I may ask my friend to see his book. Call of Cthulhu series maybe more for Halloween run. Most the people who I do gaming sessions with taught me GURPS so there isn't a reason to use GURPS lite. So far none of my searches for Miniature based RPGs haven't turned up what I'm looking for. I already bought into Hell Dorado because it was billed as RPG miniature based game rather than a skirmish game witch it is. Thanks for helping though keep suggesting I will look into any system.

Skunkape
06-27-2013, 11:13 AM
BRP isn't just strictly Call of Cthulhu, it's a generic RPG system, but might not have a good enough mini system for you though. SW is good for minis though.