PDA

View Full Version : Help with finding a Good Craft and/or Profession Skills for my Character

FryoKnight
06-14-2013, 12:21 AM
Hello everyone. I am in need of some help. I've made a character not to long ago, but I have been wondering what Craft and Profession Skills would be good for it. She is a Elf Rouge that is Chaotic Neutral in alignment. I know of Trapmaking as a Craft Skill, but not very many others. At the moment I focused the character on the skills Appraise and Decipher Script that both of a Skill Modifier of 10 after adding in the ranks Ability modifiers and misc. modifiers, and Disable Device, Escape Artist, Hide, Move Silently, Open Locks and Search at a Skill Modifier of 8.

So far in the campaign, I have been the person that found and disarmed the traps we have found, and the person that has been able to tell what items are worth. I am planning on working even more on my Appraise and Decipher Script skills some more and looking for Craft/Profession Skills more related to them if there is any, but other then that, I am looking for Craft/Profession skills relating to Traps (other then Trapmaking), Locks, and Gems.

If anyone knows of some Craft Skills and/or Profession Skills that could use please let me know.

Skunkape
06-14-2013, 09:00 AM
If you are interested in your character knowing anything about poisons, you might want to consider taking Craft Alchemy.

nijineko
06-14-2013, 12:02 PM
craft: alchemy, not only for poisons, but also for various alchemical items.
craft: blacksmithing, for metal items.
craft: carpentry, for wooden items.
craft: masonry, for stone or embedded items.
forgery, should help out with decipher script.
knowledge: architecture and engineering, for emplacement of traps in structures - also might let you decipher complex and multi-part traps.
profession: locksmith, turn picking into a legitimate and legal profession, and keep up to date on the latest in locks.
profession: scribe, increase exposure to scripts.

Hey I Can Chan
07-01-2013, 01:09 PM
Do you want the Craft or Profession skill to do something or just sit on your character sheet, hoping to have a bone thrown to it by the DM?

If the former, Craft (poisonmaking) is awesome, cheap, fast, and useful in traps. The Profession (sailor) skill often happens in campaigns that aren't all dungeon crawls or monobiomes. The various Crafts for assembling constructs (armorsmithing, pottery, leatherworking, sculpture) give you a way to contribute when the wizard gets around to making robots. Creating a folding boat requires 2 ranks in Craft (shipbuilding). I also suggest Perform (wind instruments) or (string instruments) if you're just looking to make your character more interesting; those're backstory, tasty, and useful (pipes of haunting, pipes of pain, pipes of the sewers, lyre of building) all in one.

If the latter, Professions that are quackery are fun, if only to challenge assumptions: "What do you mean my Profession (Phrenologist) check didn't reveal his curse? This guy throws bat guano at people and explosions happen, yet my vast knowledge of head bumps is psuedoscience?"

TorteStone
08-31-2013, 05:27 AM
Plus one to the vote for Alchemy here! Also, it could be fun to add something completly different, like Profession (Beekeeper). Could be a family Profession, or a random interest, one that could add a whole new side to the character!