PDA

View Full Version : Variant rules: Successes and failures

vspieles
05-29-2013, 04:21 PM
So I was looking through Unearthed Arcana and several other RPGs for some variant rules to use in Pathfinder or a Sci Fi game.

I was wondering who has had successes or failures, fun or misery with: 3d6 instead of d20, 2d10 instead of d20, Defense Checks, Injury system, Vitality and Wound Points, Reserve Points, and Massive Damage Thresholds

cplmac
05-30-2013, 10:30 AM
I played in a Conspiracy X game that was d6. There were times that to see if my character was successful in an action, a certain number or higher was needed on a 2d6 roll. Seemed to work just the same as if rolling a single d20. Then again, I wasn't the GM, so can't really comment about the system particulars.

jpatterson
05-30-2013, 01:21 PM
(double post)

jpatterson
05-30-2013, 01:32 PM
I never used variant rules specifically for the d20 system, but the probability obviously changes when you use multiple dice instead of a single. Each face of a d20 has the exact same 5% chance of occurring, making percentile distribution perfect by-five increments, while summed dice, because there is more than one way to arrive at the same number (3+4 or 5+2 or 1+6 etc), follow a bell curve distribution, with everything weighted more toward the center or average (10-13%), with the extremes (2-3 or 18-20) being very low probability outliers (about half to one percent, 0.46-1.0). This will make fumbles and critical hits and any "dramatic" results much less likely, but result in rolls being overall more moderately competent. Here are some examples of rolling a number or higher on each die:

Number+

d20

2d10

3d6

1+

100%

N/A

N/A

2+

95%

100%

N/A

3+

90%

99%

100%

5+

80%

94%

98.15%

10+

55%

64%

52.5%

15+

30%

21%

9.25%

18+

15%

6%

0.46%

19+

10%

3%

N/A

5%

1%

N/A

DMMike
05-31-2013, 01:06 AM
So I was looking through Unearthed Arcana and several other RPGs for some variant rules to use in Pathfinder or a Sci Fi game.

I was wondering who has had successes or failures, fun or misery with: 3d6 instead of d20, 2d10 instead of d20, Defense Checks, Injury system, Vitality and Wound Points, Reserve Points, and Massive Damage Thresholds

Success: defense checks. Gives players a feeling of control over defending themselves. Gets a little confusing when NPCs have to attack each other, though.

Success: injury system variant. When my characters lose half hit points, they make a morale check. If they fail, their rolls start taking -2, and you can chalk it up to injury or shaken morale.

Misery: 3d6 instead of d20. Haven't tried it, but after watching players add their bonuses to a d20, I have no desire to wait for them to count up 3d6 before adding bonuses.

Fun: vitality and wound points. I've used this in Star Wars, and it makes hit points much more interesting. Personal preference, though, is to treat character condition on the percentage of hit points remaining, not type of hit points remaining.

nijineko
05-31-2013, 11:33 AM

we frequently play with defense rolls, and adjusted MDTs, so far so good.

haven't tried others.

vspieles
05-31-2013, 04:23 PM
Thanks for the replies everyone.

I thought the idea of the Defense Checks gave it more of a feeling of reality and danger to me.