PDA

View Full Version : What all encompasses the D20 system?

prexium01
05-29-2013, 06:05 AM
So I've been making an RPG on my own, and I'm trying to decide what system I want to use. And I really like some of the D20 stuff in DnD. But I wanna be able to maybe sell a couple copies to the local game shops or something, so I'm trying to keep it out of the whole copywrite stuff. What all does the DnD D20 system entail? How much of it can I use? I mean they can't own the 20 sided dice, so..? Any help would be greatly appreciated :)

-Prexium

nijineko
05-29-2013, 12:19 PM
what you need to reference is the d20 OGL and associated legal documents.

if you plan on publishing under the d20 label or under OGL compatibility, then that is what you need to learn and know. there are some ramifications thereof. here is the FAQ for the OGL (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=d20/oglfaq/20040123f), i suggest you read it carefully. there are also links to the rest of the legal documents from there. please note, that there is a huge difference between the 3 edition OGL and the 4th edition OGL. pick carefully. also note that the 3rd edition OGL and related documents are in the archive section.

if you want to use some of the pre-existing OGL d20 stuff, then all of your material must be compliant and specify what is and what isn't OGL material from somewhere else, which of your items are OGL, and which of your items are not, in a clear and easily identifiable fashion.

so long as you follow all the rules listed, you can sell your stuff without royalty and without copyright violation.

prexium01
05-29-2013, 01:05 PM
Oh, perfect! Thanks a lot for your help. Much appreciated :)