PDA

View Full Version : BoL Combat Question

Malakor
05-26-2013, 08:18 AM
In most of the scenarios I've ran for my local group, they faced other humans or animals as adversaries, but I was looking through the bestiary section of the rules and I see a few opponents with Strength in excess of 8 (sometimes very in excess), I realize these critters are extremely dangerous and quite the challenge, but I wanted to make sure I've not missed anything in the rules if I have one appear (my players are likely to try to face them head on, at least until the first couple of them get squashed flat :D), the attack would still be 2d+Str+melee-opponent Defense, right?

So a creature with a Str of 8 and a melee of 1, if facing opponents with a Def of 2, would only miss on the attack on a roll of 2? (please bear in mind, this is by no means a complaint, there should be creatures that it is just insanely stupid to attempt to fight in hand to hand, I am just wanting to make sure I'm not missing something in the rules)

Thanks for any assistance.

Simon W
05-26-2013, 12:34 PM
The rules state:Do not add the creature’s strength to damagedice or agility to the to hit chance. The combat abilities already incorporateall of these factors. I don't have the rulebook on hand so I can't tell you the exact page (I'm taking what it says in my working draft of the new Mythic Edition). It's in the paragraph before the creature size table.

nijineko
05-26-2013, 01:03 PM
also, just as an rp tip, if you are going to introduce a new npc with a massive strength, much higher than any other faced; you may want to consider the virtue of prep scenes - such as the pcs finding areas that the npc has already devastated, or witnessing it in another secondary fashion such as something massive being thrown into the scene from elsewhere, but the npc escaping before it can be caught up to. build up the suspense and the sense of dread and the sense of the npcs sheer power.

perhaps even have the npc toy with the pcs a bit the first meeting.

Malakor
05-26-2013, 06:50 PM
thanks simon, I missed that. That will help immensely (pun intended :P)

and a good idea there nijineko