PDA

View Full Version : Canon - Gamerstable Ep106

Jenerickat
04-23-2013, 09:49 AM
One of our longest running discussions centers around the use of established canon for roleplaying games. Does the official storyline of a game really matter, or is it just another thing that many in our community hold sacred for no reason?

Please click here (http://gamerstable.com/ep106/) to listen.

nijineko
04-23-2013, 11:20 PM
canon is quite useful for those that don't have time or resources to worldbuild. but being a slave to it is not good either. i have an alternate timeline of greyhawk that i use in d&d; i call it goldenhawk. quite the interesting idea, i think.

Jenerickat
04-25-2013, 12:44 AM
Some find it daunting to keep up with canon. Like stated in the episode, keeping up with Forgotten Realms canon can be both time consuming and expensive. Alternate timelines is a good way to use what you like about a setting without being shackled to a set storyline.

Of course playing in organized play, such as a living campaign, throws that out the window.

nijineko
04-25-2013, 11:40 AM
indeed. then your only recourse is to tactically and strategically move in on the people controlling the living campaign - specifically the ones who set what canon is for each turn of play.