PDA

View Full Version : Rules for Naval (ship-to-ship) Combat

Android32
04-09-2013, 09:23 PM
I am starting to plan out a High Seas adventure campaign, following the general themes and style of Golden Age of Piracy stories, like Pirates of the Caribbean, Treasure Island, On stranger Tides and that sort of thing.

One of the main focuses of my campaign lies in Naval combat. You know, cannons firing, maneuvering the ships into broadsides, trimming sails, etc. The problem I have at the moment, is that I can't find rules for it in any of the existing P&P rule sets. At least not that I can find.

Does anyone have any recommendations on any rule sets that either have Naval combat rules, or something similar (like airships or modern naval combat) that I can work with?

Any help is appreciated.

nijineko
04-10-2013, 12:09 AM
P&P? not recalling which system this is in. stormwrack has simplified rules for it.

Android32
04-10-2013, 06:55 PM
Thanks nijineko, I will have a look at it.

nijineko
04-14-2013, 02:05 AM
one of d&d's spiritual predecessors was a naval combat simulation game using actual wooden model sailing ships, iirc.

off hand, you'll need to keep track of wind direction and speed (if any vessels are sailing), note that the rolling motion of ships in the open ocean will interfere with the aiming of to-hit ranged weapons unless you know when in the roll to loose/fire your weapon, water current direction and speed, and relative ship orientations and speeds and range.

we did a very fun naval combat a little while ago in one of the campaigns i'm playing in.

cplmac
04-14-2013, 08:30 AM
I have a friend that is retired from the Navy and is an avid gamer. I could see if he may be able to answer some of your questions if you like?

Android32
04-14-2013, 04:52 PM
I finally managed to get my hands on a copy of the Stormwrack book, so I will have a look at the naval combat rules in there to see if they fit my needs.

one of d&d's spiritual predecessors was a naval combat simulation game using actual wooden model sailing ships, iirc.

You wouldn't happen to remember what it was called?

I could see if he may be able to answer some of your questions if you like?

Thanks, Cplmac. I will see how the Stormwrack rules fit, but if i have to hombrew some rules I will definitely take you up on that.

Android32
04-16-2013, 08:58 PM
OK, so Stormwrack starts its naval combat rules with "get your players into a boarding action as fast as possible". All the rules are about maneuvering to start a boarding action.

I was hoping for something involving cannons and proper ship-to-ship combat. Thats not to say there isn't a place for boarding, but it wouldn't feel like a proper High Seas Pirate Adventure without some cannon fire.

Does anyone know much about Pirates of the Spanish Main? I have come across it a couple of times in my Googles, but I can't find any proper details about how its played or anything.

nijineko
04-17-2013, 03:50 PM
ah, sorry. i never read over them myself, just was aware of their existence. um, i'll have to track down where i put that book i know i own that mentions the name of that one game for you.