PDA

View Full Version : Ideas chat - Of Muskets and Monsters

Boonside
04-08-2013, 04:02 AM
So I've recently started working on a new campaign set in the era of pike and shot. One of the major background themes of the campaign is that magic is broken. It's still very much around, but it's become difficult to wield, for man and monster alike. Even the Gods struggle to harness the power they once had.

With this loss of power, the world has seen a decline of the church and a rise of the state. Men who waged war against good and evil, now fight for King and Country.

This brings us to my first major plot point, the Villains.

In this tale, a land that has not encountered a united force of evil in centuries finds it's self beset on all sides by a league of witches who become known as the Coven of 9.

The War Masters - Twins Merle & Pearl
The Brood - Mother aberration
The Vain - Master of illusions
Svena Gold Tongue - Deal maker, and liaison to demons.
The Shade - The illusive and clairvoyant watcher
The Rebel - Fueling an uprising in the colonies
The Scourge - The Sellsword Czarista of the King Isles & Admiral of the Ironwood Fleet
The Shame - The mysterious leader of the Coven of 9

The Coven sow disaster and dissent across the land. Why are they working together, and to what devious end?

The other core element to my campaign so far is that I really want the players to work towards earning their heroic titles. I want to start the players off as friends from the same village. The story begins after a branch of the coven lays waste to their home, and the players are forced to survive the attack. For the first session or two I want the players to be level 0, meaning that they're classless, and using only what they find to survive the encounter. I plan to give them a large selection of items to choose from during the first two session, and I'd like to see if they'll each evolve into a class rather than coming with a class and character pre-chosen.

So rather than seeing how players make the heroes they create work together as a party, I'd like to see how a party works together to become heroes.

So I'd like hear what you guys think about what it is so far, or hear out any questions you might have.

nijineko
04-09-2013, 01:23 PM
what game system are you using?

Boonside
04-09-2013, 09:01 PM
Pathfinder

nijineko
04-10-2013, 01:11 AM
are your players on-board, in advance, with this sort of organic building approach to character development?

Boonside
04-10-2013, 01:43 AM
I'm aiming for a 4 man group, the 2 people I've invited so far are up to date on the non-standard character development, and they seem excited to try it out. I'm going to invite the rest of the party when I have the rest of the campaign foundation.

Malruhn
04-11-2013, 11:24 PM
One thing concerns me...

I plan to give them a large selection of items to choose from during the first two session, and I'd like to see if they'll each evolve into a class rather than coming with a class and character pre-chosen.
Are you talking about large selection of magical or valuable items, or a wide assortment of "crap" from which to choose. A 0th level fighter with a +2 mighty sword of stabbity doesn't have much room to grow... but a 0th level fighter with a rusty broadsword has a LOT to which they can aspire. I have an innate fear... no, a terror and prejudice against anything remotely Monty Haul-ish, so comments like that frighten me.

EDITED TO ADD:

Oh, and what happens if one of the PC's dies? How will the campaign continue without that character? I've had campaigns collapse when a main/key character bit the big shredder in the sky.

Boonside
04-12-2013, 03:50 AM
By a large selection of items, I mean level 1 starter items, rusty broadswords, dusty spell books, and what not. Really I just want to avoid the last character(s) getting stuck with something they didn't choose so much as had thrust upon them. I don't want to hear "Welp all we have left is a sword and a shield, guess you're the fighter." So an assortment of busty old gear to pick and choose from till something feels right.

As for PCs dying? I hadn't really considered doing anything different then the usual 'roll a new character' method, but given the different character creation setup, I might want to consider something a little different. Did you have any thoughts on that?