PDA

View Full Version : Building a Campaign, Query: Best place for concepts?

Boonside
04-06-2013, 03:43 AM
So I've recently started working on a campaign that takes place in the era of Pike and Shot. (The emergence of the Arquebus, and Pike infantry in combat.) With this era also comes the rise towards the renaissance, and decline of the power of the church. Throw in a magical disaster that saw magic sapped away from it greatest wielders and sprinkled about the land in equal fashion, and you have yourself an interesting twist on the classic fantasy D&D fare.

The problem I'm having is finding people to discuss it with. Right now the only people I know interested enough in D&D to listen to my concepts are the ones I'd actually like to invite into the campaign once I have it ready. So by running it past them I'd be spoiling all my major plot points and ideas.

Does anyone have a suggestion about where best to toss about my plots and plans?

nijineko
04-06-2013, 05:22 PM
well, as long as they don't hang out here, you are welcome to enlist us. might be able to start a group or something and use the private group thread function to keep a closed, invite only thread going.

Malruhn
04-07-2013, 11:14 PM
For campaign building, it's the story that counts. It doesn't matter if it's high fantasy with the most advanced tech device is the spork - or a sci-fi/horror campaign where there is zero magic outside of the Wonder Bra - it's all about the plot.

Drop some questions here and people will rip them apart, if needed - or support them wholeheartedly, if warranted.

nijineko
04-09-2013, 12:24 PM
besides, any sufficiently advanced anything is practically indistinguishable from magic anyhow.

mrken
07-30-2013, 05:38 PM
You could use history and just change names, dates, and order of occurrence. Just take some of the stuff that actually happened and present it with changes. Since no one knows anything about history, you will fly right over their heads. Hiding in plain sight.

nijineko
08-01-2013, 10:00 AM
for such an approach as mrken is recommending, i suggest that you look up a fun little series called horrible histories. think of it as a group of political correctness-challenged archeological journalists intent on digging out all the dirt they can find on the sanitized histories that make it into the official books. ^^ quite entertaining in a rather gruesome way.

for example: did you know that during that whole stint with the guillotine in europe, that the attending soldiers would shout "run!" just as the blade came down, and then bet on how far the bodies would sprint? apparently the human body has enough chemical energy and muscle/neural memory to make it several hundred feet on average, even without the head.