PDA

View Full Version : [Need Help] Edge of Reality (PnP system in development)

SioxerNic
03-12-2013, 03:47 PM
Hi I'm SioxerNic

I have always loved Pen and Paper, though I've always felt the systems were lacking in either gameplay mechanics, combat, skill systems or the roleplay element, which is why I have set upon a little "quest" to create my own system.

Though as building a complete system is quite the amount of work, I would need help to complete and finalize it, as well as getting it proof read and a decent amount of other stuff, I wont share my progress here before I get a playable Alpha version.

Goals of the system:
It will be 100% free, it might get published or receive donations
(Donations will mainly go towards getting it published, but any profit will be shared between team members)
100% Ability and skill based, no stats like "BAB" or "Spell Resistance" or for that matter "AC" to seperate skills from combat.
The system will be level based
The system will be classless to offer more variation
I will attempt to write the system itself generic and modular enough to be able to run basically any setting imaginable.

Systems which it draws inspiration from:
D&D
Fallout
Serenity RPG

For people that wishes to help out these are the skillsets I will need:
Playtesting (When we get a workable Alpha)
Setting writing (Monsters, items, a world, lore, NPC's and so on)
Rule Writing (Any basic rules, feats/Perks, complications, traits, combat rules and so on)
Proof Reading (Self Explanatory)
Math Geek (Math Mathematically run through feats, abilities, ability scores and so on to see how balanced it might be)
Concept Art/Polished Art (Later it the work process)

Requirements for helping out:
Being able to spend at least 5 hours a week to help out.
Have a level of dedication towards finishing it.
Have a love for PnP!

If you feel you can help and fit the requirements, then please be free to contact me on either Skype and/or E-Mail (SioxerNic (AT) hotmail.com)

I look forward to hearing from you :)
(I will obviously still monitor this thread for responses from people, but don't expect it be daily guys (-; )

nijineko
03-14-2013, 09:42 AM
time, time, ask me for anything but time. he is not a fan of me, and our relationship is strained. ^^

SioxerNic
03-14-2013, 02:05 PM
time, time, ask me for anything but time. he is not a fan of me, and our relationship is strained. ^^

The time requirement is basically to make sure I get people that are decently dedicated to it :)
I'm not asking you to sit and just keep doing it, or doing it five hours in a row (And I'm not actually going to attempt to "check" how much time is spent), but more like throw in 15 minutes there, an hour or two at there and so on :P

But I take it you are interested though?

nijineko
03-15-2013, 01:15 PM
so, based on your comments, you are planning on only primary characteristics and no secondary or derived characteristics? or will skills equate secondary characteristics?

what are your planned primary characteristics?

how will you reconcile "levels" with "open option selections", ie: classless?

will you be aiming for a lean ruleset, and if so, how will you approach complex and multi-characteristic scenarios?

how will you divide and regulate time amongst the various actives and interactables?

how will characteristics be assigned to objects and animates, especially size disparate ones?

how will you deal with power level variance inherent to various genre and settings?

where on the scale of abstract to concrete will the mechanical realism of the game fall?

ps: i'm always available for non-real-time brainstorming and contributions. my interest will wax and wane depending or rl stuff, your (game's) creativity, inventiveness, crunch to fluff ratio, and particular trichiliocosm.

SioxerNic
03-15-2013, 05:11 PM
so, based on your comments, you are planning on only primary characteristics and no secondary or derived characteristics? or will skills equate secondary characteristics?
Derived stats will be very limited to a few and will usually be ability based. Derived stats in my opinion is mostly just what is a flat value, and so far there is only one:
HP

Ripping them from Serenity, because in my oppinion they cover everything.
[Str]trength: Your physical strength and prowess.
[Agi]lity: Your dexterity, physical reactions and speed.
[Vit]ality: Your physical endurance, physical resistance.
[Int]elligence: Your mental strength, ability to apply logic (Can be used in certain social rolls)
[Ale]rtness: Your mental reaction speed, your awareness of surroundings.
[Wil]lpower: Your mental Willpower, force of personality. (Can be used in certain social rolls)
[Cha]risma: Your ability to persuade, ability to manipulate, and so on.

Basically, levels will just limit the max amount of points you can put into skills.
The skill system is derived quite heavily from the Serenity ruleset, and I really like that skill system.
This is to limit (Which serenity really doesn't have) min/maxing to a certain level, where people can't just get two stats up basically.

will you be aiming for a lean ruleset, and if so, how will you approach complex and multi-characteristic scenarios?
I'm not sure I understand this question?

how will you divide and regulate time amongst the various actives and interactables?
I'm not quite sure I understand this question either.

how will characteristics be assigned to objects and animates, especially size disparate ones?
You mean as weapon stats and so on? Well to be honest, you will most likely gain a heavy penalty for wielding a heavier size (Even on damage) than you can carry, especially since I can't conceive a weakling wielding a Two-Handed giant sword with a "to hit" penalty only, even if you can somehow make it hit, your very measly attempt will not hurt that much.
Armor and stuff like that will be mostly Damage Resistance over my "AC Equivalent" as it makes alot more sense :P
Equipment will in most cases be strength and other stat restricted (If you don't want penalties) and very few things beyond weapons will actually require the skill without incurring penalties.

how will you deal with power level variance inherent to various genre and settings?
Well firstly I'm going to write a relatively generic XP system, with few XP amounts (like a 100 or something) per level, and instead be up to how big of a challenge (up to the GM's perception of how difficult it was) the encounter was... (Encounters can be social encounters, avoiding traps, avoiding combat, completing a quest, killing monsters and so on)

where on the scale of abstract to concrete will the mechanical realism of the game fall?
Well I will aim to make stuff make sense, but I will not start calculating the impact of wind speed to a projectile (Though I will most likely in the future create modules for these mechanics to exist)
So it will fall between the realism that is fun, but still make it playable and easy to get into.
My plan is really to make an easy to play RP system, so there is less time preparing and a lot more time playing :)

ps: i'm always available for non-real-time brainstorming and contributions. my interest will wax and wane depending or rl stuff, your (game's) creativity, inventiveness, crunch to fluff ratio, and particular trichiliocosm.
Trichiliocosm? If you want to hear more and see my current draft of what I got, and what I thought about, then be free to add me on Skype (SioxerNic). I actually just got myself a Setting writer and we have a quite creative idea for the actual fantasy setting (Other settings as modern and future will be written later on, I'll focus on fantasy first, as that will be what requires the most work to make "work" if you get what I mean)
And for the real time interfering as well, I understand especially since I've posted this I just got myself a pretty heavy programming commission xD But I'll devote quite a bit of time to get this system to work :) Because I have so far (and played and/or looked at more than 15 systems so far) not found one that is "completely me", so I hope to fill this void by creating this :)

And thanks for expressing your interest and I hope you will join the the currently two man team :)

nijineko
03-16-2013, 12:41 PM
Derived stats will be very limited to a few and will usually be ability based. Derived stats in my opinion is mostly just what is a flat value, and so far there is only one:
HP

HP will be derived from what?

what about skills? if they are affected by a stat, then they will be, in effect, partial derived stats mixed with the primary stat of skill rank.

Ripping them from Serenity, because in my opinion they cover everything.
[Str]trength: Your physical strength and prowess.
[Agi]lity: Your dexterity, physical reactions and speed.
[Vit]ality: Your physical endurance, physical resistance.
[Int]elligence: Your mental strength, ability to apply logic (Can be used in certain social rolls)
[Ale]rtness: Your mental reaction speed, your awareness of surroundings.
[Wil]lpower: Your mental Willpower, force of personality. (Can be used in certain social rolls)
[Cha]risma: Your ability to persuade, ability to manipulate, and so on.

i have played serenity, enjoyed it, and it seemed quite suited to the genre. what about the various character options? will option selection items exist, or will they be counted among skills as a special form of skill?

Basically, levels will just limit the max amount of points you can put into skills.
The skill system is derived quite heavily from the Serenity ruleset, and I really like that skill system.
This is to limit (Which serenity really doesn't have) min/maxing to a certain level, where people can't just get two stats up basically.

this reminds me of m&m, which puts caps per level on how far up stats and skills and certain power characteristics can be bought up. seemed like a decent idea, though it fails to address the low level high power archetype.

I'm not sure I understand this question?

based on your comments thus far, you are going for a lean ruleset. think "minimal rules necessary in order to get the job done" design philosophy. complex scenarios and multi-characteristic scenarios are those which can be approached and potentially resolved with more than one stat, either simultaneously or in sequence. especially when a given action seems to require application of multiple stats simultaneously.

classic example: swinging on a chandelier. might require a dex check to grab on to, a str check to hang on during a swing, an attack check of some sort to actually hit something at the end of the swing, an opposed weight/power check to knock the person flying... and so forth. you get the idea. lots of potential checks could be involved. which ones do you codify into your ruleset while attempting to balance playability and minimal invasion of complex rules. grappling/wrestling is another favorite point of contention with such design questions.

I'm not quite sure I understand this question either.

rounds, turns, segments, phases, and so forth. how will time be broken down, will it attempt to enforce a turn based approach, or will it support simultaneous resolution? how much time do various actions take? how far can a player move under their own power in a given unit of time? how fast do they move if they are falling at terminal velocity? do you allow mid-stream changes in actions... and in other words how do you intend to track time vs actions against simplicity vs reasonable accuracy?

You mean as weapon stats and so on? Well to be honest, you will most likely gain a heavy penalty for wielding a heavier size (Even on damage) than you can carry, especially since I can't conceive a weakling wielding a Two-Handed giant sword with a "to hit" penalty only, even if you can somehow make it hit, your very measly attempt will not hurt that much.
Armor and stuff like that will be mostly Damage Resistance over my "AC Equivalent" as it makes alot more sense :P
Equipment will in most cases be strength and other stat restricted (If you don't want penalties) and very few things beyond weapons will actually require the skill without incurring penalties.

we always use the variant rule for armor and natural armor is actually dr in our own d&d campaigns, ourselves. shields count as deflection, due to proper usage. but i was also asking about small people hitting and breaking large objects, or actually parts of large objects. just wondering how that would be adjudicated.

Well firstly I'm going to write a relatively generic XP system, with few XP amounts (like a 100 or something) per level, and instead be up to how big of a challenge (up to the GM's perception of how difficult it was) the encounter was... (Encounters can be social encounters, avoiding traps, avoiding combat, completing a quest, killing monsters and so on)

gathering information, exploration awards, rp awards, are also important to consider. i even give small rewards for excellent in-game-out-of-game jokes and appropriate snappy one-liners and clever ideas, regardless of success or failure, especially if i didn't think of it. ^^

Well I will aim to make stuff make sense, but I will not start calculating the impact of wind speed to a projectile (Though I will most likely in the future create modules for these mechanics to exist)
So it will fall between the realism that is fun, but still make it playable and easy to get into.
My plan is really to make an easy to play RP system, so there is less time preparing and a lot more time playing :)

in my experience virtually nothing can reduce the amount of time it takes to get a good plot and story together. doesn't matter how complex or simple the ruleset is. complex rules can make the "prepare the npc stats" portion of that preparation take longer, however.

Trichiliocosm? If you want to hear more and see my current draft of what I got, and what I thought about, then be free to add me on Skype (SioxerNic). I actually just got myself a Setting writer and we have a quite creative idea for the actual fantasy setting (Other settings as modern and future will be written later on, I'll focus on fantasy first, as that will be what requires the most work to make "work" if you get what I mean)
And for the real time interfering as well, I understand especially since I've posted this I just got myself a pretty heavy programming commission xD But I'll devote quite a bit of time to get this system to work :) Because I have so far (and played and/or looked at more than 15 systems so far) not found one that is "completely me", so I hope to fill this void by creating this :)

And thanks for expressing your interest and I hope you will join the the currently two man team :)

trichiliocosm is the largest of the three related concepts, dichiliocosm and chiliocosm. this is from the buddhist concept of a sheaf of universes or planes, specifically a sheaf of one billion universes. basically, your over-all cosmology - and with your multi-genre comment i took it to mean multiple planes and/or universes.

i'll get back with you on relative interest levels. ^^ gotta run.

Simetradon
03-17-2013, 04:16 PM
How much are you paying authors/artists?

SioxerNic
03-18-2013, 08:04 AM
How much are you paying authors/artists?

It will be 100% free, it might get published or receive donations
(Donations will mainly go towards getting it published, but any profit will be shared between team members)
Initially nothing, but if (or when) we receive donations they will be split evenly after I've looked into what publishing might cost.

nijineko
03-19-2013, 10:31 AM
awwwwww. sniff, sniff. no replies for me?