PDA

View Full Version : Is BoL "Old school"?

Simon W
02-27-2013, 01:52 PM
I've seen BoL referred to on various blogs and forums as an "old school" or even a "retro-clone" or "simulacrum" rpg. Now, when I wrote it, I'd never heard of the "retro-clone" or OSR movement. Even when I updated it, those terms never crossed my radar. However are the bloggers right? Is BoL "old school". (I can't begin to think what it would be a retro-clone or simulacrum of).

Dustland
02-27-2013, 06:48 PM
The setting certainly has a 1950's fantasy feel to it, but the rules? Absolutely not! I wish I had more time to play more BoL, I love this game.

gnombient
05-06-2013, 07:13 PM
BoL most certainly is not a retro-clone or simulacrum. I'd say BoL is pretty old-school (in the OSR sense of the term) in its rules...
*rules light, fast-playing
*doesn't try to include rules for everything -- expects the referee make rulings in game
*the 2d6 vs. stat/career made me think of Traveller
*the Careers system reminded me of WFRP, but more abstract -- again, requiring referee interpretation
*very flexible, easily houseruled and adapted to other settings

danbuter
05-18-2013, 09:23 PM
I think this has come about because various internet types are trying to hijack the OSR because it is fairly successful, claiming games that have nothing to do with old school D&D are now part of the OSR, because they "feel that way". Total BS marketing, basically.