PDA

View Full Version : Favorite 3.5 Class & Race?

Soft Serve
02-25-2013, 11:27 AM
Have recently discovered the Factotum (Dungeonscape) is my favorite class with Archivist (Heroes of Horror) going close second and everyone's friendly neighborhood Bard going third. I love, love, love support classes and the Factotum just seems like the best one.

Also recently, Changelings have become my new favorite race (Eberron) with Warforged (again Eberron) and probably Tieflings or Aasimar coming in third.

Changeling Factotum / Rogue (or Ninja) would be the absolute best infiltrator. They can do anything, and be anyone, and that entire character concept is just exciting to me.

So anyway, who/what're your favorites and why?

{Also, I'm certain this thread has been posted millions of times, but it feels a bit dead in here, so any kind of conversation is good, yeah?}

nijineko
02-26-2013, 12:07 AM
i would venture to suggest, that even better than that is the changeling psion/chameleon/mindspy. that can literally be anyone, and anything.

i play almost exclusively psionic classes these days. it's become a challenge to me to fill each and every party roll i play with something psionic if possible. so far, i have been able to do so.

my dream class would be a psionic version of a beholder mage, without the beholder. they learn like a wizard, cast like a sorcerer... or in psionic terms: learn like an erudite, manifest like a psion.

Soft Serve
02-27-2013, 08:49 AM
The chameleon is something I have an interest in, but haven't yet taken the time to look up.

Psionics are basically on the same page. I like them, and I give players the option to use them, but actually taking the time to read through the EPH and Complete Psion keeps taking a backseat. I'll have to look into the Chameleon though, since even the Factotum's description makes special mention of the Chameleon class.

AsterXemil
04-24-2013, 01:12 AM
Even though people online I've seen talk bad about it, I like the Samurai class. I currently run a Warforged Samurai and am loving it! Although I must say Tieflings have been a favorite race of mine since I started playing D&D.

Thorn
04-24-2013, 08:02 PM
For the most part I alway played a ranger or cleric and usually elven in the Realms. In Pathfinder l just got started with a fighter, a ranger, and a cleric.

DeviloftheRealms
05-20-2013, 08:34 PM
I am a big fan of the changes they made to the ranger. But in the end something about the Warlock class really spoke to me. I also enjoyed the changes to the psionic classes.

I like the Gloaming from FR and the Drow will always hold a special place in my heart no matter what version they reside in!

- Sig

nijineko
05-21-2013, 11:01 AM
i recently managed to qualify a psionic character for wildshaping, and thus wildshape-requiring prestige classes, without taking a single level of druid or wildshaping ranger. has a few levels of master of many forms and warshaper. ^^ booyah!

has full access to wildshaping, the minor shape change ability, a sparrow alternate form, morphic weapons, and of course and most importantly - is psionic. ^^

Ryukami
05-31-2013, 02:27 PM
My favorite class always has been, and always will be, the Dread Necromancer. My biggest complaint with Necromancy in 3.5e for the longest time was how it was basicly pointless for arcane casters and exclusively the realm of the divine, which frustrated me due to a low RL wisdom score(and thus difficulties RPing a high wis cleric). However, with heroes of horror, the answer to my prayers came to me in the form of the Dread Necromancer, which was the ideal arcane necromancer. It had rebuke undead and while it failed to give arcanists the spell desecrate it instead got something better, the undead mastery ability which allowed it to control more undead then any other class, even clerics. It finally threw arcane necromancy a bone and allowed me to play a undead minionmaster without the high-wis RP of the cleric class.

Pathfinder however, did necromancer wizards a big favor and gave them the PF equivalent of rebuke for free. That alone makes Necro wizards in PF a class I'm willing to play. I also wholeheartedly enjoyed the Bones oracle as a necromancer from PF too since while divine instead of arcane was cha-based instead of wis-based, meaning there where no RP conflicts.

So yeah...favored 3.5e class, Dread Necromancer. Favored PF class is a three-way tie between the necromancer wizard, undead bloodline sorc and bones oracle.

Hans Schmidt
12-06-2013, 09:23 PM
The most fun race/class Ive played recently was a halfling rogue/fighter/scout
spec'd out for mounted archery

he rode a ram, which is only m size 5x5 so it was perfect in the dungeon. The fact that I could take a move action and a full attack action because i was mounted was seriously broken. Flanking was ridiculously easy, and when I didnt have the flank I would tumble off of the ram and use it to flank.

swift ambusher, and improved skirmish really rounded him out. The DM allowed me to drop many shot as a pre-rep for improved rapid shot, and instead put in weapon focus. That helped smooth the kit out.

All the mounted feats are broken, and mounted classes even more broken. And being a small character you can ride medium creatures which means you never get off your mount. lots of fun

Hans Schmidt
12-06-2013, 09:35 PM
either the dread or the evil cleric with the augment undead feats is beyond munchkin. you make 1/4 hd skelital rats with +4 to hit, +4 to dmg, +4 ac, that explode like grenades, damaging enemies and healing friendlies. Ridiculous. lus they only cost 12.5gp in onyx hahahah

nijineko
12-10-2013, 04:39 PM
have one character that is a telekinetic master, plus can do stygian lightning. all i need is a level or so in soulknife and he'd be a jedi.

Raesa
03-24-2014, 03:20 PM
Raesa, my namesake was a Spellthief Tiefling. I played with a dungeon master who had been in on 3.5 since it's inception (the dude was old school--started with the original d&d when he was a lil tater tot kiddo) and would get so frustrated with me. It's one of those supplement base classes that can be exploited pretty hard if you got the right party on your side and know what you're doing. You get a good balance of magic and rogue up in this

and holy shit.

"Absorb spell?"

Gimme dat.

nijineko
03-25-2014, 01:24 PM
nice!

two of my current characters are a blind psionic seer/healer type who was raised in almost complete isolation from the world but was at the end cast aside as a failed experiment and is not nearly as compassionate as she comes across - bit of a rude shock to those who fall on her bad side; and a psionic erbauer young lady who's unrequited love died in a war they both were in centuries ago, so she disembodied herself, stored her body in an extra-dimensional space, and possessed a dagger in order to sleep through time till the pain finally healed.

Soft Serve
03-25-2014, 01:44 PM
nice!

two of my current characters are a blind psionic seer/healer type who was raised in almost complete isolation from the world but was at the end cast aside as a failed experiment and is not nearly as compassionate as she comes across - bit of a rude shock to those who fall on her bad side; and a psionic erbauer young lady who's unrequited love died in a war they both were in centuries ago, so she disembodied herself, stored her body in an extra-dimensional space, and possessed a dagger in order to sleep through time till the pain finally healed.

That's a pretty good concept. Why do you love Psionics so much?

nijineko
03-25-2014, 02:49 PM
which one?

psionics is something i have always been fascinated with from childhood. in gaming, it just became a comfortable area, and with 3.x d&d they actually have a fun and interesting psionic system that beats the magic system all hollow. so if it's d&d or d20 (or most any other system, actually) i want to play something psionic. it probably doesn't hurt that i've had exposure to such experiences in real life either. oddly enough, i tend to be skeptical of claimed phenomena in real life, even though i believe it is possible.

Soft Serve
03-25-2014, 10:09 PM
which one?

psionics is something i have always been fascinated with from childhood. in gaming, it just became a comfortable area, and with 3.x d&d they actually have a fun and interesting psionic system that beats the magic system all hollow. so if it's d&d or d20 (or most any other system, actually) i want to play something psionic. it probably doesn't hurt that i've had exposure to such experiences in real life either. oddly enough, i tend to be skeptical of claimed phenomena in real life, even though i believe it is possible.

I used to do ESP tests to myself as a kid all the time. It started to bother my teachers when I'd pretend not to know the answers to problems, but rather be reading their minds to tell them what it was. XD

I disagree about D&D doing psionics well. I think they could have been handled much better than "alternate spellcasting." They feel like the red headed step child of D&D.

nijineko
03-26-2014, 01:14 PM
Let me clarify. OD&D psionics was something that happened to you. BD&D psionics was still something that happened to you. AD&D psionics was random and thereby either useless or insanely powerful. 2nd ed made the insanely powerful slightly harder to randomly get. 3rd ed actually brought psionics into balance with magic (as much as magic is "balanced"), made it accessible, easier to understand, and usable. 3.5 ed psionics was improved again (overall) by the removing of pre 3.5 psionic artifacts that didn't actually help game play and represented unneeded complexity and the addition of a few mechanics.

Therefore, 3.x psionics is well done (within the context of D&D).

Is D&D a well done game? Is D&D psionics well done compared to other psionic systems out there?

Those are completely different questions. In my opinion, 'they need to pay attention to detail' and 'there are better represented options out there', but one really should take into consideration the long history that they are dealing with as well as the numerous contributions to the game industry over the decades.

If nothing else, D&D (and Pathfinder) certainly can teach you how not to design. ;D

Soft Serve
03-27-2014, 12:59 AM
Let me clarify. OD&D psionics was something that happened to you. BD&D psionics was still something that happened to you. AD&D psionics was random and thereby either useless or insanely powerful. 2nd ed made the insanely powerful slightly harder to randomly get. 3rd ed actually brought psionics into balance with magic (as much as magic is "balanced"), made it accessible, easier to understand, and usable. 3.5 ed psionics was improved again (overall) by the removing of pre 3.5 psionic artifacts that didn't actually help game play and represented unneeded complexity and the addition of a few mechanics.

Therefore, 3.x psionics is well done (within the context of D&D).

Is D&D a well done game? Is D&D psionics well done compared to other psionic systems out there?

Those are completely different questions. In my opinion, 'they need to pay attention to detail' and 'there are better represented options out there', but one really should take into consideration the long history that they are dealing with as well as the numerous contributions to the game industry over the decades.

If nothing else, D&D (and Pathfinder) certainly can teach you how not to design. ;D

That is certainly clarified. XD

I do like Psionics in 3.5. I never really looked them over in 4e, though I know the Monk was converted to a Psionic based class, which I'm actually ok with. It's a better excuse to give them slightly supernatural powers than "Spiritual Enlightenment" so I'm all for psionic monks.

What I'm afraid of going into the new edition is that Psionics will again take a backseat. They'll be an expansion when they're obviously popular enough to be core. But I guess that's the beauty of always having at least one expansion be guaranteed to sell well...

Malruhn
03-29-2014, 01:42 PM
I like kickin' it old school.

I like humans.

I really enjoy playing ANY class, but I really like Wizards.