PDA

View Full Version : Far Away Land RPG

DirkStanley
02-24-2013, 06:18 PM
Hey all. I thought I would start a thread up about my upcoming rpg called Far Away Land. Its a quirky fantasy game that has funky artwork, minigames, micro and macro levels of play, training montages and all kinds of others stuff. Here is what the artwork looks like... This is the cover actually...

http://farawaylandrpg.weebly.com/uploads/1/3/1/6/13169050/2872812_orig.png

And here is a brief synopsis of what the game entails...

1. Simple d6 mechanic which allows PCs to gain "Edges" over enemies and thus increase their combat (and non-combat) effectiveness through experience and strategy. The core of the game can be learned in about 5 minutes. The rules of the game are simple and lite but are modular in design so as to allow tons of options for players and GMs.
2. Characters can be created in about 5 minutes. PCs are further fleshed out as play takes place...
3. Training Montage system allows players to narrate the way their character trains (using inspirational music...or not) in order to lessen the cost and time of training. Other players vote as to the awesomeness of the montage.
4. The Gods of Far Away Land is a mini-game that allows players to take on the roles of gods and create a world through group narrative building while simultaneously defining a pantheon of the gods and their own stories. Players can choose the level of detail they wish to go into when creating by narrating, performing simple single dice roles, using the rules for mass combat (to determine the victor of a battle), or by using the core rules to take on individual characters and enact scenes and events.
5. The Historians of Far Away Land is another mini-game that works directly with the Gods of Far Away Land. Here, players take on the roles of historians trying to piece history back together. The historians build stories and define specific historical events in the world creating backgrounds, heroes and villains, magic, landscapes, battles, etc.. Players narrate stories using story elements such as characters, settings, conflicts, and actions to build unique narratives that flesh out their own worlds.
6. The Core Rules of FAL allow for PC creation and adventures. These rules can be integrated into the macro mini-games in order to detail out specific events or to allow the players to take on roles in the world and partake in adventures. These rules also allow for "normal" PC adventures.
7. There are 18 playable races for PCs although all creatures provided in the game can be easily adapted and used as a PC. A lot the cliche races are used but there are a bunch of custom monsters and races as well.
8. Rules for building races. Players can create their own races using Archetypes and give their races powers, abilities, magic, etc.. These races can be directly integrated into either the micro (individual PCs) or macro (Gods and Historians of FAL) game play styles.
9. The End of Far Away land is a set of rules that allow players and PCs to participate in end game elements such as a ruling a land, building an army, defining a legacy, etc..
10. Mass Combat rules for quickly determining battle outcomes between hundreds, thousands, or even millions of troops. The Mass Combat rules use ratios and simple maths and can be implemeneted to work with the Core Rules or any of the mini-games.
11. Full color artwork.

I thought I would throw this out and see if anyone was interested. The game is in an almost finished shape and this summer, hopefully, I will be doing a Kickstarter to fund a print run.

Shattered Vision
02-24-2013, 10:45 PM
It sounds real interesting. I like the mini games idea. Sounds like it could let the players flesh out the world.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

DirkStanley
02-24-2013, 11:45 PM
It sounds real interesting. I like the mini games idea. Sounds like it could let the players flesh out the world.

Thanks.
The minigames, Historians, Gods, and even The End are really meant for a group to create and flesh out a world, instead of just a GM alone building a map and an adventure. While the world is being created they can even take on individual roles and act out stories and events to shape the history of the world. The rules encourage groups to keep a historical record of events which can help influence and create storylines in there present day world.

DirkStanley
03-01-2013, 03:36 PM
Here are some of the Kickstarter rewards that will be offered with the Far Away Land project (this summer)...

http://farawaylandrpg.weebly.com/1/post/2013/03/kickstarter-rewards-cards.html

Here are 6 of the custom monster cards. The entire set features over 60 monsters and a collectors list.

http://farawaylandrpg.weebly.com/uploads/1/3/1/6/13169050/3316581_orig.jpg

Here are the custom d6s. Skulls have replaced the 6s. These skulls match the background border of the cards. The dice will come in sets of 3 in red and blue.

http://farawaylandrpg.weebly.com/uploads/1/3/1/6/13169050/9222657_orig.jpg

Soft Serve
03-09-2013, 08:37 AM
Very well done sir. A kudos to you.

I prefer my RPGs and artwork in a bit more serious tone, but this does look promising. Keep us informed about the release.

DirkStanley
08-25-2013, 12:04 PM
Very well done sir. A kudos to you.

I prefer my RPGs and artwork in a bit more serious tone, but this does look promising. Keep us informed about the release.

...delayed response here, but thanks. It looks like I will be doing the Far Away Land Kickstarter in January. I just want everything in place before I even start it...

I have been taking some time away from developing Far Away Land, but for the last month I have been back on it. Sometimes things need to sit and the time I have spent away from developing the game has been really helpful. And I would offer this advice up to any game designer, that just allowing a project to rest will often times give you a fresh perspective on it (although I find this tough to do - patience and all). The Core Rules and the Creatures are all finished with the exception of table of contents and indexes. The Companion Rules is in the midst of being laid out. There will also be a fourth book which details the history and the world of Far Away Land. The fourth book will also feature prominent character in FAL... All four books will be available when the Kickstarter launches... With that said, here is a bit more artwork from three of the Far Away Land books... https://fbcdn-sphotos-e-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/620946_500251750058329_1346086107_o.jpg

VerdellMelo
09-02-2013, 04:31 AM
those are really an absolute kickstarters to work on, i liked them a lot as they are really wonderful one to see......