PDA

View Full Version : Mixing Chat / RL Gaming

Soft Serve
02-23-2013, 04:05 PM
Just wondering, how do you guys think would be the smoothest way to handle gaming around the tabletop, with one or more people participating through the internet? Do you use Skype and just have them in video chat, or do you just keep them in text chat and read their important dialog and actions to the players at the table?

Or do you have a better method, because this is really the only way I can think to address the issue.

nijineko
02-26-2013, 01:00 AM
we use skype. ever since i moved away from my group "Epic Fetch" (site is at epicfetch.com, come read what we are up to....) they have setup a computer and skype me in. since we are going to have another member move in another direction, we are going to make it a vid-conference setup here shortly.

Skunkape
02-26-2013, 02:44 PM
Recently one of the members of our group couldn't make a game, so we set up a Skype connection for him and it worked great!

Soft Serve
02-27-2013, 09:50 AM
Do you do the rolling for them at the table or do they do it from their location and show the dice? Take them at their word?

nijineko
02-28-2013, 10:06 PM
with my two groups, we've never had trust issues with the dice. they roll, i roll, we tell each other what we get. i use an electronic roller anyway, i haven't broken out my dice in, goodness, years... other than to show them to people in general.

Skunkape
03-04-2013, 10:49 AM
It would depend on the player. The players in the current group I'm in, I'd trust. In the past though, I've been in groups where I knew one or more players 'adjusted' their dice rolls, so I'd make them show the roll.;)

nijineko
03-04-2013, 12:46 PM
we have one guy that rolls over 15 about 90% of the time. dice have been tested, he's been tested, all legit. weirdest part is that it stops working whenever someone other than him touches his dice. every time. even if he is not present and has no clue. which we have also tested. as in just tap one die of his with a fingertip, and they all start rolling bad. he has to go out and buy a new dice set. ^^ which we have also accompanied him on sometimes just to make sure. still legit.

Soft Serve
03-08-2013, 09:48 AM
we have one guy that rolls over 15 about 90% of the time. dice have been tested, he's been tested, all legit. weirdest part is that it stops working whenever someone other than him touches his dice. every time. even if he is not present and has no clue. which we have also tested. as in just tap one die of his with a fingertip, and they all start rolling bad. he has to go out and buy a new dice set. ^^ which we have also accompanied him on sometimes just to make sure. still legit.

I love those sort of things. I've got a set of Red / Black dice with gold numbers that I hardly ever use. So every now and again I sit and roll the d20 until it lands on "1" twice in a row. Now, thanks to diminishing probability, there's only like a 1/80,000 chance it'll roll a 1 again.

It's the I.C.E. dice. XD

But back on topic kind of, a fair rule would be that the dice are rolled on camera when it's life or death right? I mean a standard attack or action might not be worth the witness, but if it's to sustain vitality when you're in the negatives or something like that, then it's totally justified.

nijineko
03-13-2013, 01:25 PM
usually the only witnessed rolls are the ones where the player challenges the dm on something or puts up a good argument for a bending of the rules and the dm says, 'roll x and you can have it'.

which reminds me of this one time i was dm'ing, and the group was ambushed by a jungle dwelling race using knock-out poison tipped darts. everyone but this one guy (and his horse) failed the saving throws. now, my plan was knock them out, capture them, and have them wake up in a cage surrounded by a pit trap, bereft of all weapons and tools, lost in the jungle somewhere.

the the player happened. (different player than the dice dude above. his brother, actually....)

he made both saves (one for him, one for the horse). and he decided he'd charge back in and try to save the rest of the party, taking another barrage of darts along the way.

he. made. every. single. increasingly. difficult. save. for. both. him. and. the. horse.

and then he decided to charge them directly and scatter them, and yes, suffered another set of attacks. this time i started flipping if he needed to make the save high or low, as i reasoned that with more of the stuff in his blood, more difficult save, right?

he. made. every. single. save. again.

finally he fails a save... but by this time, i think this is too awesome. i mean, he made something like 24 continuous saves in a row, with me flipping high and low towards the end!!! and he made a good case for himself too boot. so i declare that he (and his horse) are immune to this particular plant poison. the tribe takes him home and honors him as being touched by the gods, and eventually is talked into freeing the rest of his party. big feast, new allies, i tie the plot into this new twist and off we go. =D