PDA

View Full Version : Looking for recommendations for Space/Scifi RPGs

vspieles
02-23-2013, 09:58 AM
Hi folks,

I'm a bit burned out on GMing fantasy campaigns (3.5 and Pathfinder) for the last 6 years.

Looking for suggestions for a good Space/Scifi RPG system.

Hopefully something that's been play-tested and has lots of campaign resource books/pdfs.

I hear Star Wars Legacy is good.

Any Star Wars and non-Star Wars recommendations.

Links to any RPG suggestions would be great as well.

Thanks,

Vic

Lazarus
02-23-2013, 06:47 PM
I guess it depends on how complicated a system you like. If you like 'rules lite' design, then I recommend d6, Savage Worlds, or Cortex. If you like crunchier systems, then HERO and GURPS are best. As for Star Wars, the only answer to that question is d6 in my opinion.

vspieles
02-23-2013, 10:05 PM
I was looking at the Traveller RPG reviews. It seems like a good game system. But the question is what edition/version/company works best for first time players coming off two d20 Pathfinder campaigns?

vspieles
02-24-2013, 11:02 AM
Has any gamed with the Traveller D20 edition? If so how was the game play and transition from a d20 D&D or Pathfinder game?

Also has anyone played Alternity? I love the look of the books, races, rules and campaign setting from skimming some of the review.

Any Alternity or Traveller feed back is welcome.

Or am I better off going to GURPS, RIFTS or Savage Worlds for a quick to start and play series of space/scifi adventures?

Thanks.

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
02-24-2013, 11:03 AM
I always found Traveller D6 (Classic & Mongoose) to be the most flexible. Check it out at your convenience. Here's the Traveller thread on pnpg's: http://www.penandpapergames.com/forums/forumdisplay.php/199-Traveller-RPG

nijineko
02-26-2013, 12:09 AM
i've always had a soft spot for star frontiers. especially with all the expansions and fan additions.

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
02-26-2013, 08:06 AM
Yes, Star Frontiers was a fun game, no question.

calico_jack73
02-26-2013, 08:40 AM
Has any gamed with the Traveller D20 edition? If so how was the game play and transition from a d20 D&D or Pathfinder game?

It was different enough that it might as well not even bother with the d20 moniker. Character generation uses the Traveller lifepath system so you might have PCs of widely varying levels. I liked combat with the way armor absorbs damage. Combat was also changed up so that your level isn't as integral to survival as it is in other d20 games that use hit points. Definitely worth a try though it is no longer called Traveller T20. It is now called SciFI20. http://rpg.drivethrustuff.com/index.php?cPath=7888

calico_jack73
02-26-2013, 08:44 AM
Rogue Trader (http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/edge_minisite.asp?eidm=78&enmi=Rogue%20Trader) by FFG is my favorite SciFi game. It has everything AND it isn't your usual level based game like D&D which is a big win in my book. Space combat, exploration, and an amazing setting. On top of that, once you learn the rules you can also play Deathwatch, Dark Heresy, Only War, and Black Crusade... all of which are set in the Warhammer 40K universe.

Skunkape
02-26-2013, 01:42 PM
When Chaosium released Basic Role-Playing, I moved toward it for almost all of my GMing needs. Sure I bolt on other systems, for instance, for my fantasy campaigns, I use the Pathfinder spells, but modified to fit the BRP system.

I like BRP because it is a classless/levelless system, in which you can see improvement to your character every game. BRP uses d100 percentage skills, which if you use successfully during an adventure, or you spend time training said skills, you get the chance for a possible improvement to the skill.

There are lots of great systems out there, I just prefer BRP.

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
02-26-2013, 02:26 PM
I'd like to take a closer look at Chaosium Basic Role-Playing, Skunkape. Is there an edition that you would recommend?

When Chaosium released Basic Role-Playing, I moved toward it for almost all of my GMing needs. Sure I bolt on other systems, for instance, for my fantasy campaigns, I use the Pathfinder spells, but modified to fit the BRP system.

I like BRP because it is a classless/levelless system, in which you can see improvement to your character every game. BRP uses d100 percentage skills, which if you use successfully during an adventure, or you spend time training said skills, you get the chance for a possible improvement to the skill.

There are lots of great systems out there, I just prefer BRP.

vspieles
02-27-2013, 10:42 AM
Thanks for the SciFi20 info and link calico_jack73.

vspieles
02-27-2013, 10:55 AM
I also had a fondness for Star Frontiers as well the few times I could get enough people to play it. I liked that it was about exploration, rescue and investigation. The rules were fairly simple and straight ahead.

It didn't have all the darkness and baggage of a universe at war or the universe dominated by an alien invader or evil tyrannical government. I thought Zebulon's Guide tried too hard to make it that dangerous dark place.

However the lack of constant heroic combat may have been why it wasn't as big a seller as a fantasy adventure game.

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
02-27-2013, 10:58 AM
If you do decide to play SciFi20, vspieles, be sure to give us updates. Many of your fellow gamer's would appreciate 411 updates.

Jeffrywith1e
02-28-2013, 05:21 AM
I'd like to take a closer look at Chaosium Basic Role-Playing, Skunkape. Is there an edition that you would recommend?

Free quick start PDF...
http://catalog.chaosium.com/product_info.php?products_id=3700

vspieles
02-28-2013, 07:23 PM
Thanks Thoth-Amon.

I'll updated this post with the RPG I decide on and how it plays out.

I assume not all my current Pathfinder d20 players will be on board for a space/scifi series of adventures so I may have to pick up some new alien specimens along the way.

Lord Captain Tobacco
03-01-2013, 12:23 AM
I find that the Battletech 2nd ed. has one of the simplest game mechanics. 2d6 based, can easily be converted to 3d6 or % as needed. All you have to deal with is the OOP books and the generalized focus on big mechs. My games run about 40% in mechs and character development drives the rest.

kysp
03-03-2013, 03:00 PM
Thanks Thoth-Amon.

I'll updated this post with the RPG I decide on and how it plays out.

I assume not all my current Pathfinder d20 players will be on board for a space/scifi series of adventures so I may have to pick up some new alien specimens along the way.

You assume? Ask them. They might like it!

vspieles
03-04-2013, 08:50 AM
You are correct. I always make things more complicated than they need to be.

Skunkape
03-04-2013, 09:45 AM

Hey, just now saw that you had responded, so as far as an edition to use, I'd go with the Gold cover BRP book. Below is a link for it on the Chaosium site, http://catalog.chaosium.com/product_info.php?cPath=37&products_id=6561. But if you're not sure if you want to invest the $44.95 for it, you can always go for the free QuickStart PDF, http://catalog.chaosium.com/product_info.php?cPath=37&products_id=3700.

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
03-04-2013, 09:48 AM
Appreciated, Skunkape. I'll definitely check out those links.

Hey, just now saw that you had responded, so as far as an edition to use, I'd go with the Gold cover BRP book. Below is a link for it on the Chaosium site, http://catalog.chaosium.com/product_info.php?cPath=37&products_id=6561. But if you're not sure if you want to invest the $44.95 for it, you can always go for the free QuickStart PDF, http://catalog.chaosium.com/product_info.php?cPath=37&products_id=3700.

Skunkape
03-04-2013, 09:51 AM
Welcome anytime Thoth-Amon.

vspieles
03-05-2013, 08:25 AM
Has anyone played the Bulldogs space/scifi RPG?

It has gotten great reviews?

Skunkape
03-06-2013, 09:10 AM
I haven't played it.

vspieles
03-20-2013, 08:31 AM
Has anyone actually used True 20 for a space/scifi adventure? Let me know how it went please.

Vyrolakos
06-04-2013, 09:38 AM
Also has anyone played Alternity? I love the look of the books, races, rules and campaign setting from skimming some of the review.

Any Alternity or Traveller feed back is welcome.

If you can get hold of the books, Alternity Star*Drive is a pretty cool Sci-Fi setting. Great playable aliens (who wouldn't want to play a Seshayan!?) and the default setting is at the edge of civilised (known) space, there are lots of nasty 'external' threats that either want to eat you or enslave you, and you also have the internal politics and shenanigans going on between the powers of the core worlds, so lots to keep characters busy. :)

The game mechanics are pretty straightforward once you get your head round the step system used to work out difficulty challenges. It's basically a d20 mechanic where you roll under your stat + skill. This can be made easier or harder to achieve by having extra dice to roll with the base d20 that either adds or subtracts from the total. So if the task is easy, you might make the player roll d20 and -d8 (more likely to roll under stat + skill), if it's a harder task, you might make them roll d20 and +d8 (less likely to roll under stat + skill).

Combat is a little on the crunchy and tactical side, but it runs just fine without figures. Weapons are pretty dangerous, and characters can easily get killed with one single well placed Render rifle shot, but then, if you can't 'one shot kill' someone with a gravity stutter wave weapon, why bother shooting them with it. ;)

trechriron
06-04-2013, 01:34 PM
Has anyone actually used True 20 for a space/scifi adventure? Let me know how it went please.

I've used it for a modern conspiracy game. Once the players grok the damage save system, it plays SUPER fast. Most people are familiar with d20, so it's a nice "medium" crunch game with a streamlined d20 thing going on. Still one of my favorite systems.

Rassilon
06-14-2013, 11:52 PM
Definitely check out the Stars Without Number RPG, it's a nice throw back Sci Fi set of rules that feels 'Traveller light'.

http://www.sinenomine-pub.com/

You can get the pdf free, and/or order a print copy.

I'm getting ready to start up a campaign in a week myself...