PDA

View Full Version : 7th Sea

SaberSeraphim
01-26-2013, 11:40 PM
7th Sea was a game published all the way back in 1999. It was a game that was the first, and only of it's kind. A blend of swordplay, sorcery, pirates, monsters, myths, legends, dungeons, and political intrigue. Based on the dynamic Roll and Keep system designed by AEG (the makers of Legends of the Five Rings), 7th Sea is in a class all it's own. Here is a link to a sort of "movie trailer (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C7XrbdxvAsY)" for the game that I made just for this campaign, I strongly suggest watching it first. It's fitting since 7th Sea both plays and feels like a movie.

So what is 7th Sea exactly? Well, it's whatever you want it to be. It takes place in a fictional version of Europe called Theah. While the two are very alike in some respects, they are very different in others. Character creation involves choosing one of seven nations of origin, each based on countries we know such as England, Germany, and Italy. Then you choose to be either a Swordsman or a Sorcerer, though technically you don't have to be either. Character creation is further detailed by the Destiny Spread, which involves determining your character's past, present, and future. The system itself is very free form, allowing you to pick and choose what skills you want, making the character your own from the ground up.

In 7th Sea you will foil assassination attempts, duel for honor, fight against pirates, seek out ancient cities for lost treasures, and deal with all manner of horrid monsters that are supposed to be myth. If you don't like fencing, there are plenty of other options such as picking up a giant two-handed sword, or even fighting with your bare fists. There is an option for nearly every player's taste.

If you have never heard of 7th Sea or just know little about it, that is perfectly acceptable. In some ways players new to the game are preferable due to the way the game is written. It is full of mysteries and half truths, just begging to be unraveled. Nothing is ever what it seems to be, and the deep lore of the world will keep you guessing until the last roll of the dice.

It is a game that encourages fast paced, action orientated combat, as well as deep and meaningful role-play. You will raise ships, rule over lands as nobility, fight in wars, and seek the truth behind the mysterious long dead race known as the Sryne. It is a game of cinematic battles, dashing heroes (and heroines), sweeping romance, and villainous masterminds.

In order to join this game there are a few requirements however. First of all you will need to be able to communicate via voice chat. The exact method for this has not be determined yet, it will either be over Ventrilo, or possibly Skype. The second thing is you will need to be able to access roll20.com, as that is the medium through which we will be playing. If you are inexperienced in it, fear not, it's one of the easiest and most accessible virtual table-tops around. Third, you must be over the age of 18, as the game will be dealing with adult themes. Fourth you must be reliable and consistent, as 7th Sea is not a game that lends itself to players who "flake out" and miss sessions every other week. Finally the last requirement is that you must be capable of deep and meaningful role-play. You should want to become your character, to live and breathe them for as long as we're playing. If you do not enjoy role-play or are uncomfortable with it, this is not the game for you.

Some other things to know about the campaign is that it will be sound tracked. Roll20 features a built in sound track that allows me to stream music to the game as we play. I feel that music adds another vital component to the game, and can help set the scene just as much as a well placed description or a pretty looking map. So if you do not enjoy background music while playing or find it distracting, then this is not the game for you. The music will be tasteful, and in tune with the setting.

I plan on running the game every week on Sunday evenings at 5 or 6 pm until roughly 10pm, Eastern Standard Time. Before playing we will meet as a group to discuss the game, introduce new players to the world, and create characters. You absolutely do not need access to the books to play in or enjoy this campaign, but if you would like you can purchase PDF versions from drivethrurpg. It is important that if you do pick up any of the books, that you never read any of the sections marked for the Game Master, as it contains secrets about the game that are not meant for players to know.

If you are interested in joining respond to this thread or send me a private message. The more information you give me about yourself as a gamer, and what you bring to the table will increase your likelihood of being chosen for the campaign. This is not being done on a first come, first serve basis, though that doesn't hurt your chances either. As with all the other stipulations listed earlier, it is just as important that the group is compatible with each other. Once I have 4 or 5 players I will be closing recruitment for the campaign.

Happy Gaming

Crescens
05-27-2013, 12:47 AM
Is there ANY chance that this is still going on and you have a slot to fill? I would strangle a dolphin to get in a good 7th Sea game.

Dowdpride
05-28-2013, 03:48 PM
I second that. This seems right up my ally!

Crescens
05-29-2013, 12:15 AM
Upgrading this to an Anti-Dolphin Defcon 1: I would strangle ALL the dolphins to get in a 7th sea game. Let's make this happen! The game, not the dolphin strangling. That would be too difficult as they don't have necks.

Shin
05-29-2013, 03:28 AM
I haven't played 7th Sea in forever. Any chance SaberSeraphim still exists? 8)

Crescens
05-29-2013, 11:40 AM
I am taking a GM hiatus, so someone needs to run this. Anyone?

Dowdpride
05-30-2013, 01:50 PM
I have not played 7th Sea before, so thats a no go for me. Also, fun note, did you know Dolphins are the cruelest animal on the planet (as well as the smartest) other than humans? THE MORE YOU KNOW!

Crescens
05-31-2013, 09:30 AM
The more I know, the more I STRANGLE! Also, it's super easy compared to your norms of D&D (all flavors). It's a Roll and Keep system, just like L5R. The game is a little wonky balance wise, but a group of responsible non-neckbeards can have a FANTASTIC time. Srsly run this u guise.

Dowdpride
05-31-2013, 03:36 PM
If anyone is up for GMng, sure.