PDA

View Full Version : Lame and Overrated - Gamerstable Ep92

Jenerickat
01-15-2013, 09:06 AM
Gamer-culture tropes, are they as cool as we want them to be?

Please click here (http://gamerstable.com/ep92/) to listen.

nijineko
01-16-2013, 11:58 AM
ah, the inevitable dichotomy of how we see ourselves compared to how others see us. even if those others are within our own culture.

Jenerickat
01-17-2013, 02:47 PM
We do tend to take what is "accepted" in our community way too seriously sometimes.

nijineko
01-22-2013, 11:26 PM
are you saying i game too much? ;D

Malruhn
01-27-2013, 02:27 PM
Regarding the webicast:

1. Zombies and the walking dead have roots in EVERY culture and religion that have been studied. You guys sounded like you were trying to make zombies purely Haitian/Voodoo in nature.

2. You were spot on with Ninjas, and you couldn't have possibly nailed it any better. Likewise, you were perfect on snipers as well. The only problem is that the shot through the scope was actually done - by Carlos Hathcock in Vietnam. Since then, it's become nothing more than a trope, but it was based on a real story.

3. Dr. Who... it was INTENDED to be cheesy - so it does what it intended. Star Trek (original) took itself seriously, and therefore sucked. The Whovian world is cheesy, but it wants to get the STORY out there... sorry, I just don't agree with you guys.

4. Shannon must leave the cast for her dislike of bacon. She is evil, twisted and must be stopped. She should try bacon prepared somewhere else... or she must go. End of story. Roll credits.

Jenerickat
01-28-2013, 10:07 PM
Don't mistake Jayson's dislike of Dr. Who as being the opinion of all. He is in the minority among us on this.

We discovered Shannon's dislike of bacon during a Voight-Kampff test. We are convinced that she is a replicant .

nijineko
02-05-2013, 09:11 AM
hmmm, not every culture. i know of a few where they don't exist.

heh, the first ninjas were samurai with some sneaky ideas for fortress-breaking. next there was some groups of black-ops samurai as special units in various armies. finally, the losers in a few battles declined to conveniently die and eventually became the iga and koga clans. now-a-days there are a few families with proven roots in one of those two clans, but various degrees of legitimacy which is hotly debated to this day by japanese authorities, such as they are.