PDA

View Full Version : Anyone up for a new Supers! PBP on the forum?

urbwar
11-19-2012, 01:38 PM
I got a hankering to run Supers!, but have no regular group currently. I was wondering if there would by any interest in one? I know it's in the hands of Zenith now, but this forum has a dice roller, so I thought I'd try and run it here (if Simon is ok with that)

Dragonfly
11-19-2012, 04:18 PM
Count me in, urbwar!

Best,

Dragonfly

Simon W
11-20-2012, 01:11 AM
ok by me and I might be up for it too

urbwar
11-20-2012, 08:06 PM
Excellent! I was actually thinking of doing a WW2 game, as I have some villains all ready designed (as Dragonfly well knows), but will run a modern game if that's what people prefer

Dustland
11-21-2012, 07:25 AM
I'm itching to game, I could spare a few minutes for a pbp game (ok, I really can't, but I need to do something!) I'm good with either WW2 or Modern, though I'd cast my vote for WW2.

kroh
11-21-2012, 08:53 AM
Sounds like fun... Count me in!
Regards,
Walt

urbwar
11-21-2012, 06:31 PM
ok, so that's possibly 4, with one vote for WW2. I think I'd go with 5 if anyone else wants in, so people can get more "screen" time. Anyone else have opinions on modern or WW2?

nijineko
11-21-2012, 07:35 PM
gaslight era.

Xhaosdaemon
11-21-2012, 10:29 PM
You know I'd be down for a game, so if there is space count me in. :) (I have a few other V&V characters I could easily convert to Supers! for either setting)

Dragonfly
11-21-2012, 10:50 PM
Hey!

I'm fine with either modern or World War II.

All the best,

Dragonfly

urbwar
11-22-2012, 01:58 AM
Xhaos,

glad to have you aboard! I guess now it's a matter of deciding what type of game, and coming up with characters now

urbwar
11-25-2012, 07:15 PM
So after some thought, I'm leaning towards a modern game. I have an idea for a scenario, so I think I'll go with that. I guess now all we need is people to come up with character concepts.

Xhaosdaemon
11-25-2012, 11:42 PM
Well, here is one possible idea (another conversion from a V&V game that never got rolling):

Arc Nova (Janusz Chmielecki)

Comp: 2d
Fort: 3d
Reac: 3d
Will: 2d

Aptitudes:
Academia* 3d (Chemistry 4d, Physics 4d)
Technology* 3d
(All others not listed at 1d)

Powers:
Energy Form (Plasma) 3d <Cannot assume normal form> (Cost 2D)
Energy Control (Plasma) 4d (Bonus 1D from energy form) (cost 3D)
Flight 3d
Super Brain* 3d

Ads/Disads:
Longevity (Ad)
Unliving (Ad; Plasma Form)
Vulnerability (Disad; Magnetism)

Competency Pool:
0D

Resistances 6 + Aptitudes 2 + Powers 11 + Ad 2 - Dis 1 = 20

DESCRIPTION: Standing 6'2" tall Arc Nova has a very unusual appearance.
Being composed of semi-solid plasma his form is somewhat undifferentiated
although he has eyes and a mouth so he can speak. Normally his "skin" is a
shifting plasma of cool blues and purples that move around in flame
patterns. When he "goes hot" his color changes to very bright yellows and
oranges and he is surrounded by a bright corona of translucent whisps of
plasma. Where his hair used to be whisps of plasma flicker and shift through
a myriad of colors.

When Arc Nova speaks his voice has a crackling quality, almost like the
sounds of static and flames together, although he is easily able to be
understood. Despite his condition he still has an easy-going way about him
and an intact sense of humor. His laughter sounds like the sizzle of a hot
fire combined with a Tesla coil. He does not consume foods like your normal
person, instead he uses his plasma to heat objects until they break apart
and absorbs the heat and energy they release.

As a basic background he is a Polish physicist who worked on tokamaks to try
and make fusion energy viable. While working on a tokamak there was an
accident but instead of being killed he was completely transformed into
ionic plasma.

Dustland
11-27-2012, 07:18 AM
So after some thought, I'm leaning towards a modern game. I have an idea for a scenario, so I think I'll go with that. I guess now all we need is people to come up with character concepts.How many dice?

urbwar
11-27-2012, 09:19 AM
Xhaos,

Very interesting concept!

Dustland: 20 Dice base, but if the concept is good enough, I'd allow someone to have more (and give anyone under that some comp dice to even it out)

nijineko
11-27-2012, 11:46 AM
if i were playing, i would want to recreate The Shadow, for such a game.

Dustland
11-29-2012, 01:59 PM
I'll go with a Normal, just a streetwise and tough hombre that doesn't believe in putting the futures of himself and his fellow man in the hands of a powerful few super-powered beings.

I'm thinking Citizen X for a name. How's that strike you?

Dragonfly
12-02-2012, 05:23 PM
I'll go with a Normal, just a streetwise and tough hombre that doesn't believe in putting the futures of himself and his fellow man in the hands of a powerful few super-powered beings.

I'm thinking Citizen X for a name. How's that strike you?

Both of the proposed characters sound cool!

Urbwar, I've been trying to come up with a character myself, but it would help if I had a sense of the set-up. Should we aim to make a group of city-based heroes coming together to protect the city? Are we going to be government operatives protecting the nation from super-powered terrorists? Are we going to be an independent group of super-powered folks operating whenever and wherever the planet needs us? I know some of this will depend on what we end up making, but having a sense of where you are thinking of taking this might help me come up with a concept.

Cheers!

Dragonfly

urbwar
12-02-2012, 07:36 PM
Hey Dragonfly,

I've been caught up in some personal stuff of late, which is why I haven't posted much. To answer your question: I hadn't decided on specifics for the group, as I thought I'd leave it up to all of you. However, if worse comes to worse, I'd say an independent team with ties to their local city government

I will tell you the basic set up for the start of the adventure: The heroes are all at a funeral for another hero named Bolt, who was killed fighting alongside all of you against a villain.

Dustland
12-05-2012, 05:01 PM
Well you've given me too much time to think about it, so I'd like to change my character idea to Cloak, a superhero that wears an incredible cloak that responds to his mental commands. The cloak can stretch out, envelope opponents, shield the character from damage, and lift things with superhuman strength.

After further thought, I figure Cloak has the power Energy Control (Dark Matter), but he generally manifests it as a cloak.

urbwar
12-06-2012, 08:11 PM
dustland,

sounds good to me!

Dragonfly
12-06-2012, 10:01 PM
Hey urbwar!

I'm aiming to have a character in to you by Sunday.

Best,

Dragonfly

urbwar
12-07-2012, 05:25 AM
Dragonfly,

sounds good. Looking forward to seeing your concept.

Since things have been slow, I'm thinking of likely starting after the New Year. I figure everyone will be busy with the upcoming holidays, so I'm not going to rush anything. Now to see if Simon/Walt still want in, and if so, what kind of characters they want to play.

falinxelote
12-07-2012, 12:40 PM
I dont know the system but I'd be willing to learn and play depending on the frequency of posting I have a couple of supers concepts.

Dragonfly
12-08-2012, 03:12 PM
Hey falinxelote!

I'm always keen on introducing someone new to the system. If you are interested, I'll walk you through building your character. It's quite easy. What do you say! If you're game, just describe your concept and we can get started.

All the best,

Dragonfly

urbwar
12-09-2012, 04:23 AM
if i were playing, i would want to recreate The Shadow, for such a game.

Are you familiar with the system for Supers! at all? Depending on whether or not everyone who signed on still plays, there might be an opening

urbwar
12-09-2012, 04:52 AM
I dont know the system but I'd be willing to learn and play depending on the frequency of posting I have a couple of supers concepts.

You can get a copy of Supers! here (http://www.rpgnow.com/product/105204/SUPERS%21-The-Comic-Book-RPG)

It's a great rules light super hero rpg that Simon W, owner of Beyond Belief Games, created. I think it makes a good rpg if you have people new to roleplaying, as it's fairly easy to grasp.

Dragonfly
12-10-2012, 08:55 PM
Hi urbwar,

Sorry I didn't post this by my self-imposed Sunday deadline. I'm not quite done with my concept yet, but here is draft 1.0. Statwise, he's mostly done. I just need to specify who his enemy is, and then allocate the 3 dice he gets from his Disads. He is meant to be sort of Spider-Manish in terms of "feel" - young, well-meaning, gets a bum rap, struggles with real-world problems, but has a heart of gold. I also need to come up with (or elaborate on) his origin. This is actually a revamp of my first superhero RPG character ever (made for Champions back in 1981). His original origin, however, was very campaign specific (and tied to my second superhero RPG character ever), so I don't know that I want to use it here.

THE MOLE (A.K.A. Billy Burrows)
Resistances: Composure 2D, Fortitude 3D, Reaction 2D, Will 2D
Aptitudes: Athleticism 2D, Fighting 2D, Streetwise 2D
Powers: Burrowing 3D, Elemental Control (Earth) 5D, Super Senses 2D (Darkvision 2D, Tremor Sense 2D), Super Strength 2D
Ads: None
Disads: Disreputable, Enemy, Poor

Best,

Dragonfly

urbwar
12-11-2012, 01:43 AM
Dragonfly,

Looks good to me.

nijineko
12-11-2012, 05:55 PM
Are you familiar with the system for Supers! at all? Depending on whether or not everyone who signed on still plays, there might be an opening

no, not familiar. just like super hero games. ^^ welcome all to pnpg, btw.

falinxelote
12-14-2012, 04:34 PM
My concept is as follows
A shapeshifter that takes not only a person’s form but some of their memories and abilities (but his control is learned if he changed into a person with say telepathy he would have to learn how to control it or block out all the minds near him) but he has forgotten his own identity, age, memories and shape (since he can stay in any form indefinably). He uses a "blank" form as his base form just a generic human face lacking even a mouth unless he needs one at that moment. He would then also have the ability to make his skin super hard or rubbery at will as a function of shapeshifting. To top it all off people he doesn't remember are hunting him down. An organization of assassins keeps trying to kill him for reasons they say he knows. They can track him no matter his form or how far he runs.

Dragonfly
12-14-2012, 08:24 PM
My concept is as follows
A shapeshifter that takes not only a person’s form but some of their memories and abilities (but his control is learned if he changed into a person with say telepathy he would have to learn how to control it or block out all the minds near him) but he has forgotten his own identity, age, memories and shape (since he can stay in any form indefinably). He uses a "blank" form as his base form just a generic human face lacking even a mouth unless he needs one at that moment. He would then also have the ability to make his skin super hard or rubbery at will as a function of shapeshifting. To top it all off people he doesn't remember are hunting him down. An organization of assassins keeps trying to kill him for reasons they say he knows. They can track him no matter his form or how far he runs.

Hi falinxelote,

I'll let urbwar weigh in on whether he'll accept the concept or not, but let me brainstorm on how we might work the powers. Let me get this straight:

1) He is a shapeshifter. I'm assuming, based on your description, that he takes the form of living creatures only? I mean, he can't turn into a car, or a washing machine, or a boulder, right?

2) Does he mimic one's abilities and memories, or does he literally take abilities and memories from those whose form he takes (i.e. does he deprive a target of abilities and memories)?

3) Does he have to touch the being he is shapeshifting into in order to effect the shift, or can he just do it?

Once I have the answers to these questions, I can make some recommendations.

All the best,

Dragonfly

Dragonfly
12-14-2012, 08:30 PM
My concept is as follows

Hi falinxelote,

I'll let urbwar weigh in on whether he'll accept the concept or not, but let me brainstorm on how we might work the powers. Let me get this straight:

1) He is a shapeshifter. I'm assuming, based on your description, that he takes the form of living creatures only? I mean, he can't turn into a car, or a washing machine, or a boulder, right?

2) Does he mimic one's abilities and memories, or does he literally take abilities and memories from those whose form he takes (i.e. does he deprive a target of abilities and memories)?

3) Does he have to touch the being he is shapeshifting into in order to effect the shift, or can he just do it?

Once I have the answers to these questions, I can make some recommendations.

All the best,

Dragonfly

falinxelote
12-15-2012, 07:37 AM
1) Living only yes I was even thinking of limiting it to humanoids only (possibly including primates)
2)he copies the memories & abilities
3)he can shift (appearance only) by sight however for the memories and abilities part he has to touch

I was considering expanding the memory reading part by saying he can object read (can read the history of the previous owners, even glymps their previous owners minds) too but I'm not sure if thats a stretch of function.
Thanks for the help

Dragonfly
12-16-2012, 07:14 AM
Great!

Powerwise, I would do something like this:

Shape Change 5D (Complication: Only Humanoid Forms)
Mimic Power 6D (Complication: Control of Absorbed Powers Must Be Learned, Complication: Touch Attack)
Mind Control 6D (Complication: Only to Absorb Memories, Complication: Touch Attack)

The die codes here can be seasoned to taste, and they should be discussed with the Judge (i.e. urbwar). Much will depend on how he chooses to adjudicate a power like Mimic Power, which is rather vaguely worded. The power normally allows a character to mimic a Power he has seen, "up to his own dice in the Mimic Power, or the Power level he has seen in action, whichever is lower." It doesn't, however, specify how many Powers can be mimicked at a time, or how many Powers can be retained at a time. My personal assumption is that you have your dice in Mimic Power to split among several Powers that you have seen in action, and that this is a dynamic pool. So, a character with Mimic Power 6D could see Metal Man and mimic Metal Form 3D and Super Strength 3D. If next round he observes Mind Master using Mind Control, he could mimic some of that Power as well (say Mind Control 2D), but he would have to reduce his dice in Metal Form and Super Strength (say to 2D each) so as to not surpass his 6D maximum, as determed by his dice in Mimic Power.

Something else to ask about is how to absorb Aptitudes and Resistances. If that's something you want to do, the Judge might ask you to purchase an additional Boost to Mimic Power. Personally, I wouldn't worry about absorbing Reistances, but I would want to be able to absorb Aptitudes (which are skills). Personally, I would allow Mimic Power to be used for Aptitudes as well, no Boost required. I could easily see someone going the other way.

Something else that you have to discuss with the Judge is the fact that as it stands now, your character would have to make two seperate touch attacks: one to gain Powers, and one to gain memories, personality, etc. I'm thinking this doesn't match your concept. For my games I've developed a new Boost called Linked which allows two powers to go off simultaneously. You pay 1D (for the Boost) + the full cost of the Linked power. In this case, I would apply the Boost to the Mimic Power as a means of linking it to Mind Control. This would raise the cost of your powers by 1D. Based on some rearanging of dice to give you a bit more mimic ability, I would recommend that your character look something like this if he were playing in one of my games:

Shape Change 4D (Complication: Only Humanoid Forms)
Mimic Power 8D (Boost: Linked to Mind Control 4D [Complication: Only to Absorb Memories, Complication: Touch Attack], Complication: Control of Absorbed Powers Must Be Learned, Complication: Touch Attack)

BTW, he should also have the following Disads:

Amnesia
Strange Looking
Enemy (Secret Organization)

These grant him an additional 3D which can be used to bolster Resistances, Aptitudes, or Powers, or just set aside to serve as Competency Dice while adventuring.

How does this sound? Please feel free to ask any questions about how all of this works. If you want, I have a step by step tutorial that explains the system while prompting you to build your character. I could post that for you to respond to, if you wish.

All the best,

Dragonfly

falinxelote
12-19-2012, 01:08 PM
Thanks for the help on this we'll have to see what Urbwar thinks and go from there. Though I'm currently out of town on business so my internet access is sporadic. I'll try to check in as I get access and time.

urbwar
12-19-2012, 06:59 PM
Sorry I haven't responded sooner; I was occupied with getting The Triad done and up for sale. Interesting concept Falinxelote! I'm ok with using such a character. I also have no problem with the character using the linked ability Dragonfly mentioned. I'll just need to familiarize myself with that again.

Dragonfly
12-20-2012, 08:06 AM
GREAT!

[Side note: urbwar, I'm gonna go purchase the Triad the moment I finish posting this message! Congrats on the release, sir!] :-)

Since urbwar gave an initial okay to the suggested approach to your characters' powers, I'll work on posting the tutorial I write for some friends awhile back.

Let me run it by Walt and Andrew first, as it includes some basics on making characters.

All the best,

Dragonfly

falinxelote
12-20-2012, 10:01 AM
Something else to ask about is how to absorb Aptitudes and Resistances. If that's something you want to do, the Judge might ask you to purchase an additional Boost to Mimic Power. Personally, I wouldn't worry about absorbing Reistances, but I would want to be able to absorb Aptitudes (which are skills). Personally, I would allow Mimic Power to be used for Aptitudes as well, no Boost required. I could easily see someone going the other way.

I like the aptitudes idea too. That would fit prety good with this character I think also I was thinking of making the memories an "out of control" ability so its like a side effect of his power rather than an actual power of its own.
I do like the Linked thing too that seems to fill the concept ok, the above thought about "out of control" excluded. I'm only thinking of the "out of control" anyway I think it would be kinda cool to have him grab memories without meaning to. To go with this I think a "percise or perfect" memory (so absorbed memories stay with him forever) would fit too. Just a thought I think it would add to roleplay to always be confuse as to whether he was remembering something he did or something someone else did.

Dragonfly
12-26-2012, 06:08 PM
Hi falinxelote,

Sorry it took me so long to respond! I must have been bad this year, because Santa gave me a case of influenza for Christmas! :-(

I'm not completely cured yet, but am doing much better now. Still, it's been a rough several days, so I couldn't get to this, to The Iron Gauntlet, etc. Time to start catching up!

Anyway, thanks for the additional info on the character. I'll think a little on how to take care of some of those details. It shouldn't be too hard. In the meantime, here is a little tutorial I prepped for my friend on how to build a character. It sort of explains the system as it goes too. Unfortunately, I lost Part II, so I'll have to rewrite it at some point.

Why don't you take a look at this, follow the easy steps towards "purchasing" your Resistances, get back to me, and we'll take it from there.

TUTORIAL: Part 1

HOW THE GAME WORKS

Supers! utilizes standard six-sided dice (d6) to resolve every action.

Every attribute in the game (whether it be a Resistance, an Aptitude, or a Power) is rated in d6.

· Example: A character with control over electricity might have the power Energy Control (Electricity) 5d.
· Example: A character who is a super-thief might have the aptitude Intrusion 3d.

When resolving an unopposed action, the player rolls the number of dice associated with the appropriate Power or Aptitude and tries to beat a target number (TN). The TN is set by the Judge.

· Example: Body Blow has the Aptitude Athletics 3d. He wants to plow through a standard wooden door so that he can get his mitts on a couple of thugs hiding out in a seedy downtown apartment. The Judge decides that busting down the door is a moderately difficult action and assigns the action a TN 6. Body Blow’s player rolls a 9. He bashes through the door and can now teach his unlucky foes how he earned his superhero name.

When resolving a combat action, the attacker selects a Power or Aptitude with which to attack. The defender selects a Power, Aptitude, or Resistance with which to defend. The defender rolls a number of dice equivalent to his rank in the attribute chosen for defense. The result becomes the TN the attacker has to beat in order to damage the defender.

· Example: Body Blow makes short work of the thugs only to find himself face-to-face with the most twisted of criminal masterminds, the Rubber Baron. The Rubber Baron tries to pummel Body Blow with an elastic punch, and Body Blow chooses Reaction, one of his Resistances, as his defense. Body Blow has a Reaction 3d and rolls an 11. Rubber Baron has Stretching 5d and rolls a 15. The villain beat our hero’s defense total, so Body Blow takes some damage. Fortunately for Body Blow, the damage isn’t enough to put him out of the fight. Now it’s his turn…

BUILDING YOUR CHARACTER: RESISTANCES

Resistances represent your character's ability to resist various types of "damage" or stress. There are four Resistances. They are:

· Composure: This is an index of how "cool" your character is. It measures style, confidence, panache, bearing, dignity, presence, ego, and self-control.
· Fortitude: Measures the character's strength of body, endurance, physical fitness, health, etc.
· Reaction: Measures your character's speed, nimbleness, reflexes, and agility.
· Will: Measures your character's mental strength, steadfastness, resolve, psyche, speed of thought and spirit.

You start with 1d in each of these Resistances.

You have an extra 5d that you can use to raise these Resistances. Any dice not used at this stage can be used later, for Powers and Aptitudes.

The maximum you can have in any one of these Resistances at this stage is 3d. You can raise them higher later in the character generation process.

What do the numbers mean? A Resistance of 1d is low for a superhero, but still much better than “normals.” Resistances in the 2d – 3d range are competent, while a Resistance of 4d is peak human or borderline superhuman. Anything 5d or higher is CLEARLY superhuman.

Let me know if you have any further questions. Otherwise…

ALLOCATE YOUR RESISTANCE DICE AND LET ME KNOW WHAT YOU END UP WITH.

falinxelote
12-27-2012, 07:28 AM
Resistances
Reaction 3d
all others 2d
and that is a helpful tutorial

Dragonfly
12-27-2012, 02:54 PM
Resistances
Reaction 3d
all others 2d
and that is a helpful tutorial

I'm glad it's helpful! I'll try to rewrite Part II in the next few days.

All the best,

Dragonfly

urbwar
01-27-2013, 12:45 PM
Ok, so I have stats for 3 heroes posted allready: Arc Nova, Mole, and falinxelote's unamed shapeshifter. Dustland mentioned a character named The Cloak, though he has yet to stat him. If he still plans on doing so, I hope he can soon (I know he's been busy). I still would like to run this, as long as everyone else still wants to play. It's been slow going getting started, but hopefully we can still get this going.

Dustland
02-02-2013, 08:08 AM
Oh, sorry Urbwar, I didn't realize you were waiting on me! I'll bow out, I rarely come by this forum anymore. Maybe we can get a game going on the Zenith board if this one is kaput.

falinxelote
02-02-2013, 11:37 PM
I'm still in I'll be available more now that we finally got our home internet sorted out and turned on.