PDA

View Full Version : Heroines - Gamerstable - Ep83

Jenerickat
11-13-2012, 07:39 AM
In a hobby dominated by male archetypes (or clichés), sometimes what a campaign needs is a woman’s touch. The days of the woman being merely a piece of treasure or a plaything at a local watering hole are over. Sometimes it’s fun to let a woman take the lead.

We talk about some of the strong women in history and pop-culture and how they have helped mold the gamer culture.

Please click here (http://gamerstable.com/ep83/) to listen.

nijineko
11-14-2012, 01:12 AM
andre norton. patricia mckillip. i know of lots more, but those two stand out considerably.

Jenerickat
11-14-2012, 11:18 AM
Andre Norton is a fantastic example. She was so prolific in her work.

I wonder, though, how much her name helped her. In a genre that is dominated by men, writers and audience members, going by Andre had to help. Especially when she was writing. Not knowing her biography, I can only assume that that was the intent.

I read somewhere that J.K. Rowling referred to Norton when asked why she went by "J.K.", stating that boys (and men) are leery of female fantasy writers.

nijineko
11-16-2012, 05:39 PM
much like isaac asimov used to write under the pen name (hang on a sec, i have some on my shelf... *goes to check*) paul french during that era when being russian was not kosher in america.

if you haven't read patricia mckillip, i highly recommend her.