PDA

View Full Version : Starcraft 2 is official

twesterm
05-19-2007, 01:19 AM
Clicky (http://kotaku.com/gaming/starcraft-2-for-the-win/its-official-starcraft-2-on-the-way-261835.php)

Not much to say other w00t and they better not mess it up (luckily Blizzard is good about releasing quality). ^^

PlayerSlayer
09-15-2007, 11:06 AM
I have been contacting some inverters, and some shop owners, a realistic date for it would be one year from now.

Dimthar
01-01-2009, 07:19 PM
.... and waiting.

Freejack
01-01-2009, 10:19 PM
.... and waiting (with a new rig as well)

Grimwell
01-02-2009, 12:53 AM
They have the money to sit on this until they are certain it's Robot Jeebus Good. Which is exactly what they will do. Starcraft is still played like crazy sauce in Asia in major competitive environments. Blizzard will sit on Starcraft 2 until it's not just good enough to release, but also good enough to replace it's predecessor as a tournament game.

Which is good news. Better games are win!

nijineko
01-06-2009, 05:10 PM
i still drag out my copies of starcraft and brood wars and pop online and play a few games every now and again. i'm still fond of the ender's maps. heck, i even managed to archive and preserve some of my favorite online custom maps. those are fun too. great for lans too. =D

Webhead
01-07-2009, 12:09 PM
I still play 'ole Crafty from time to time. Lots of fun. My favorite faction was always the Terran. There's just something so satisfying about dropping a nuke on your enemy's base or deploying the Yamato Cannon. :cool:

nijineko
01-09-2009, 03:53 PM
protoss all the way. templar storm to soften them up, then have them all merge to archons to distract them while the carriers and scouts fly in. if it's brood wars, take over one of their builder units, and then kill them with their own races forces. ^^

Dimthar
01-10-2009, 09:40 PM
http://www.1up.com/do/previewPage?pager.offset=0&cId=3172090&p=

I am a terran guy, but the mind control of the dark archons is really cool, specially if you capture a SCV or its zerg equivalent.

Deny
01-11-2009, 09:51 PM
I'm a Protoss fan. In competition or multi-player I typically play terran to stay on the low end of resource usage, though.

My favorite tactic: Endless waves of marines. Nothing but marines. The genocide is hilarious.

In other news: They are releasing SCII in a three-pack format. One for each race. Very lame.

Rochin
01-12-2009, 09:41 AM
I'm a Protoss fan. In competition or multi-player I typically play terran to stay on the low end of resource usage, though.

My favorite tactic: Endless waves of marines. Nothing but marines. The genocide is hilarious.

In other news: They are releasing SCII in a three-pack format. One for each race. Very lame.

It is only the story mode that is the 3 part release. All races will be playable for multiplayer from either and all boxes.

praksis
01-12-2009, 11:07 AM
As one who only plays SC for the storymode (multiplayer an exercise in frustration & inevitable doom)...not so great news.

Any details on how that 3 part release will work?

kniltsol
01-12-2009, 11:30 AM
Not much to say other w00t and they better not mess it up (luckily Blizzard is good about releasing quality). ^^

I just hope it doesnt end up playing like WC3...I just wasnt a fan.

Webhead
01-12-2009, 01:36 PM
...My favorite tactic: Endless waves of marines. Nothing but marines. The genocide is hilarious...

Quite possibly my very favorite unit. Ranged ground-to-ground and ground-to-air in one, cheap unit. Combine with stimpaks and Medics and you've got a good time ahead of you.

Lurkers were also a lot of fun, but useless against air units. :(

I also liked Siege Tanks, but again...no ground-to-air capability.

Deny
01-12-2009, 06:04 PM
It is only the story mode that is the 3 part release. All races will be playable for multiplayer from either and all boxes.

While this is true, some people fear that if you do not have the second two boxes you will not be able to play the "special units" released with each box.

I hope that Blizzard is wise enough to realize people don't want to pay 150 for a game they're only going to play online. I hope that they allow multiplayer to work no matter what you have.

As one who only plays SC for the storymode (multiplayer an exercise in frustration & inevitable doom)...not so great news.

Any details on how that 3 part release will work?

They will release one, wait a few months, release another, etc. Think of it as an expansion pack. I believe it goes Human, Toss, Zerg. Don't quote me on that though. Check their site. Also, the first one is slated for Feb and is on bestbuy's website, so you can easily see which is first.

I just hope it doesnt end up playing like WC3...I just wasnt a fan.

It has been confirmed that SCII will have hero units. However, hero units will only be available in UMS (user map settings). Because of this, they will not enter the story-mode and will not be in any Blizzard-released map unless clearly stated. Expect to see them heavily in UMS, though.

If you want to see what gameplay is like, go check out the SCII Battle Report. It shows a skirmish between two devs in Alpha stage and has two reporters from Blizzard talking through the whole thing. It's great. I know that there is destructible terrain, many new units, high yeild minerals (either high yeild in that they have a lot of minerals or that they supply minerals faster, I haven't figured that out yet), and some other cool things.

Quite possibly my very favorite unit. Ranged ground-to-ground and ground-to-air in one, cheap unit. Combine with stimpaks and Medics and you've got a good time ahead of you.

Lurkers were also a lot of fun, but useless against air units. :(

I also liked Siege Tanks, but again...no ground-to-air capability.

Lurkers were my sworn enemy. They took out legions of my marines at a time. Also, the templar wrecked me. No good. Seige tanks are nice but I prefer the Goliath. Much more manueverable and easier to take care of. I almost never used stimpaks and the majority of my fun came from Original, so no medics for me.

Webhead
01-12-2009, 08:05 PM
...Seige tanks are nice but I prefer the Goliath. Much more manueverable and easier to take care of...

Aye, and with surface-to-air missiles to boot. Still, there's nothing quite like watching a half dozen Siege Tanks rip through buildings like tissue paper. Back them up with a sprinkling of Marines for defense and you can sow some quality carnage. That or an accompaniment of cloaked Wraiths.

Hmmm...I'm getting the urge to load SC up again.

Rochin
01-12-2009, 10:57 PM
The games will not be priced at 49.99 each. Blizzard has enough sense to charge less for games they know people will buy. Going rumor is 29.99 each, so the regular going rate for an expansion type game. Not bad and yes thats 90 bucks for 1 game, but thats 35 missions per box so 105 missions. That is a bunch of content. Regular xbox360 games usually price at 59.99 and PC games a 49.99 so for about the price of 2 games, you get 3 kind of. I wish WOW was not taking up their time so they could really spend the time on getting Starcraft 2 and Diablo 3 out sooner. I still have the originals on my pc. I also play them a bit now and then, good times.

Freejack
01-13-2009, 06:57 AM
I guess I'm the only fan of the Zerg here :) When we were LAN partying, I would pretty much beat everyone (another guy and I would swap out when he was playing and he liked the Zerg too). But I didn't do well in the on-line games.

Carl

Deny
01-13-2009, 08:38 PM
Aye, and with surface-to-air missiles to boot. Still, there's nothing quite like watching a half dozen Siege Tanks rip through buildings like tissue paper. Back them up with a sprinkling of Marines for defense and you can sow some quality carnage. That or an accompaniment of cloaked Wraiths.

Hmmm...I'm getting the urge to load SC up again.

I was usually on the receiving end of that barrage. I played a map called Tic-Tac-Toe. It involved a huge barrier of cliffs and I lined them with cannons, so yeah. It was fantastic. Until the tanks or destroyers came along. Stupid siege.

On another note, one of my friends recently loaded it up to play the single player. I'm supposed to force him to play it.

The games will not be priced at 49.99 each. Blizzard has enough sense to charge less for games they know people will buy. Going rumor is 29.99 each, so the regular going rate for an expansion type game. Not bad and yes thats 90 bucks for 1 game, but thats 35 missions per box so 105 missions. That is a bunch of content. Regular xbox360 games usually price at 59.99 and PC games a 49.99 so for about the price of 2 games, you get 3 kind of. I wish WOW was not taking up their time so they could really spend the time on getting Starcraft 2 and Diablo 3 out sooner. I still have the originals on my pc. I also play them a bit now and then, good times.

Not saying that this is the official word, but having worked at BestBuy, I know they would not enjoy having to refund a lot of pre-order money. It's usually a pain in the ass. So here's my (limited) proof that you are wrong.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=8719899&st=starcraft&lp=1&type=product&cp=1&id=1200702781643

Edit: While X360 and PC normally cost $60 and $50 (respectively), I typically refuse to pay those prices. I grew up when $50 was the norm (ps and ps2) and when I started seeing $60 I stopped going out and buying games until they had been deeply discounted (which I had already done, really). I'm to the point now where I rarely even buy games.

I even recently bought two WoW subs (one for me, one for my gf) and used their 10 day trial plus their free first month for a total of 40 days. I convinced my friend to pay me roughly 10 bucks because he was the reason I started and I got battlechest so it was about 50 bucks I've shelled out. To top it off, I got 4 months free for christmas so I've had to pay severely less than normal.

Despite all of that, Blizzard is my favorite company besides Id. My dream was once to work for Blizzard. I still would love to if I didn't have to relocate. If anyone is going to get my money, it'll be them. Given that, I cannot see myself paying for Diablo III, it's inevitable expansion, and three SC games at full price. I'd even be a little irked at 30 a pop, but that's less than the going rate for a brand-new DS game so I'd be alright with it.

My main concern is compatibility. I just hope that if you have one, two, or all three copies of the SC game that it won't restrict you from playing with people who have a different one or two copies or not all three. I do not want to deal with the mix and match that some companies allow. I also do not want to deal with the "Reign of Chaos" vs "Frozen Throne" scene like so many people I know have.

Let's be honest, most people play those games for online instead of offline. 105 missions is awesome but that's not going to be a good enough selling point. If the online is dead because of diversification, the game will fail.

Rochin
01-13-2009, 10:27 PM
I was usually on the receiving end of that barrage. I played a map called Tic-Tac-Toe. It involved a huge barrier of cliffs and I lined them with cannons, so yeah. It was fantastic. Until the tanks or destroyers came along. Stupid siege.

On another note, one of my friends recently loaded it up to play the single player. I'm supposed to force him to play it.

Not saying that this is the official word, but having worked at BestBuy, I know they would not enjoy having to refund a lot of pre-order money. It's usually a pain in the ass. So here's my (limited) proof that you are wrong.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=8719899&st=starcraft&lp=1&type=product&cp=1&id=1200702781643

Edit: While X360 and PC normally cost $60 and $50 (respectively), I typically refuse to pay those prices. I grew up when $50 was the norm (ps and ps2) and when I started seeing $60 I stopped going out and buying games until they had been deeply discounted (which I had already done, really). I'm to the point now where I rarely even buy games.

I even recently bought two WoW subs (one for me, one for my gf) and used their 10 day trial plus their free first month for a total of 40 days. I convinced my friend to pay me roughly 10 bucks because he was the reason I started and I got battlechest so it was about 50 bucks I've shelled out. To top it off, I got 4 months free for christmas so I've had to pay severely less than normal.

Despite all of that, Blizzard is my favorite company besides Id. My dream was once to work for Blizzard. I still would love to if I didn't have to relocate. If anyone is going to get my money, it'll be them. Given that, I cannot see myself paying for Diablo III, it's inevitable expansion, and three SC games at full price. I'd even be a little irked at 30 a pop, but that's less than the going rate for a brand-new DS game so I'd be alright with it.

My main concern is compatibility. I just hope that if you have one, two, or all three copies of the SC game that it won't restrict you from playing with people who have a different one or two copies or not all three. I do not want to deal with the mix and match that some companies allow. I also do not want to deal with the "Reign of Chaos" vs "Frozen Throne" scene like so many people I know have.

Let's be honest, most people play those games for online instead of offline. 105 missions is awesome but that's not going to be a good enough selling point. If the online is dead because of diversification, the game will fail.

Not to be a jerk, but that price is wrong as there is no release date for it in the first place. Also your "Source" also has 10 customer reviews. So far the highest PC game I have seen at launch was Baldurs Gate 2, which was 54.99. There is almost no way Blizzard will charge that much for the PC version. If they did, they would lose customers, such as myself. They know better. To be honest I do not trust anything on the best buy site, or any of the people that work there. I never shop there anymore, or anywhere in person for that matter. So called "sales people" are very random in what they actually know about the products they are selling.

If I am wrong on the price, so be it. A ton of people will be very upset at that pricing. I for one will not buy it for that price, and will wait till it is the pirce they said it should be at Blizzcon 29.99.

Deny
01-14-2009, 07:59 AM
Not to be a jerk, but that price is wrong as there is no release date for it in the first place.

I don't think you're being a jerk. Like I said, it's limited. All I know is that when I worked there they hated dealing with pre-orders especially if they were overpriced and they had to return money.

I agree with you on the site often having wrong information, but they are usually in the ballpark on release dates. As far as the people that work there, you get that anywhere. They don't have official training for the departments so you just have to hope you get someone with some sense.

Also your "Source" also has 10 customer reviews.What's that have to do with anything? If you actually read them, most of them were talking about "I can't wait until this comes out. SC was the best game ever. Yay!"

Edit: I did some more searching around and just about every site out there is charging $50 for the pre-order.

Rochin
01-14-2009, 11:55 AM
As I said 50 bucks will kill a lot of people from buying 1/3 of a game. I do not play games on line (except for Left 4 Dead) so the Story mode is what I want. So paying 150 bucks for a game so I can get the full story is insane. For the content in Baldur's Gate and Baldur's Gate 2 plus expansions was not even that price and I spend well over 300 hours with that game. Starcraft may have a huge fanbase, but at 50 bucks a pop, especially when one of the people at Blizzard said it would be 29.99 is crazy. I think it is crazy for merchants to start pre-orders when the game does not have an real release date yet. That is like charging 800 bucks pre-order for the new Xbox that is to be released(rumor) at the end of this year. Will it be 800? No one knows, just like best buy and the others, they are guessing at what the price is. It is my guess that upon the real price being released, many companies that are doing a pre-order will be refundng. In our money hungry world, it is the public that suffers.

Blizzard also has a huge mountain of cash behind them. If I were them I would not get greedy and make the fans angry. It is the fan base of their games that keeps them in business. A few companies have made that mistake and paid for it.

Deny
01-14-2009, 08:06 PM
As I said 50 bucks will kill a lot of people from buying 1/3 of a game. I do not play games on line (except for Left 4 Dead) so the Story mode is what I want. So paying 150 bucks for a game so I can get the full story is insane. For the content in Baldur's Gate and Baldur's Gate 2 plus expansions was not even that price and I spend well over 300 hours with that game. Starcraft may have a huge fanbase, but at 50 bucks a pop, especially when one of the people at Blizzard said it would be 29.99 is crazy. I think it is crazy for merchants to start pre-orders when the game does not have an real release date yet. That is like charging 800 bucks pre-order for the new Xbox that is to be released(rumor) at the end of this year. Will it be 800? No one knows, just like best buy and the others, they are guessing at what the price is. It is my guess that upon the real price being released, many companies that are doing a pre-order will be refundng. In our money hungry world, it is the public that suffers.

Blizzard also has a huge mountain of cash behind them. If I were them I would not get greedy and make the fans angry. It is the fan base of their games that keeps them in business. A few companies have made that mistake and paid for it.

Very true. I think a lot of people fail to realize that pre-orders aren't first come first serve. You can get a pre-order at any time and still get one of the first copies. That's the great thing about pre-orders. You're guaranteed an order. People should wait until the prices are adjusted (or official) and go from there.

A few companies have made that mistake and paid for it.

When did we start talking about EA? heh

Rochin
01-15-2009, 10:14 AM
Very true. I think a lot of people fail to realize that pre-orders aren't first come first serve. You can get a pre-order at any time and still get one of the first copies. That's the great thing about pre-orders. You're guaranteed an order. People should wait until the prices are adjusted (or official) and go from there.

When did we start talking about EA? heh

I never said EA, or did I.(Ssshhhh, I do not want to get sued)

Dimthar
12-17-2009, 09:22 PM
.... and waiting (with a new rig as well)

I guess that Rig is not that new anymore ....

4 battle reports so far ... When Blizzard!!!?? When!!!??

:noidea:

Freejack
12-17-2009, 10:09 PM
No biggie really. I generally overbuy my system anyway. So I suspect by the time SCII comes out, LCD monitors will be good enough to replace my Sony 21" CRT and still have a great game experience.

Carl

LordChicken
12-18-2009, 01:10 AM
I guess I'm the only fan of the Zerg here :) When we were LAN partying, I would pretty much beat everyone (another guy and I would swap out when he was playing and he liked the Zerg too). But I didn't do well in the on-line games.

Carl

Zerg all the way! lurker fortified tower attacks can scare the pants off noobs online, if done right. mix in some guardians, and feel there tears threw the screen...mm your tears sustain me!

Dimthar
06-20-2010, 08:57 PM
Am I dreaming? Is it really here???

http://us.starcraft2.com/preorder/index.xml

Look at the date of the first post... talk about delayed satisfaction!