PDA

View Full Version : D&D Nostalgia

Moritz
05-18-2007, 09:30 AM
As I turn on my 'way-back' machine. I'm reminded of running a D&Dv1c game of first and second level players. They were investigating the Caves of Chaos and came across a cavern filled with mushrooms. Some were ambulatory and would ambush the party. Yet, before that happened, I flash back to my fondest memory of the 'exploration' part of the game. As the DM, expressing and conveying the world to others and watching their awe as the power of imagination would allow their minds to see what I described.

There's not much 'good awe' in the world today. Most things have been discovered, rehashed, rewritten, or plagiarized. And without war or strife, we've become somewhat stagnant. The only awe today is more along the lines of Shock and Awe, which is just chaos and discord in disguise.

It's too bad the "Moral Majority Man" is keeping NASA down. Otherwise, we'd be on Mars already, discovering new things with our own eyes.

Some of the party carried their swords, shields, wore armor (if possible) or robes, and carried more goods in their backpacks than we could ever manage (didn't know what encumbrance was back then). They made ready their spells, knocked their arrows, and were amazed by mushrooms that stood over 3 feet in height. We were all newbies back then, back before the word even existed in our vocabulary. But we didn't care. We just wanted to play the game and have a new type of fun with odd shaped dice.

The glow of the light spell cast upon the end of a staff drew long shadows across the cavern and ceiling. On constant alert and under extreme paranoia, the party moved through and between the giant mushrooms.

Then suddenly, a Piercer fell from the ceiling impaling one of the party while 10 mushrooms with legs and arms jumped out and started beating on the rest of the party. It was a massacre. -oops

They quickly rerolled characters and we started over fresh.

starfalconkd
05-19-2007, 08:08 AM
I remember my early days as well, allthough it was 2nd edition. My brother and I were the players and a friend of mine dm'ed. We were exploring an abadoned mining town trying to figure out what happened to the populous. We stumbled upon the only two inhabitants, a man and a woman. I was suspicious and questioning them turned into a fight. We managed to set the man on fire (he was very hairy and it seemed like a good idea) as we were getting our heads kicked in by the woman who was a spellcaster of some kind. Then we ran, she followed and blew us away with a fireball. This is how I learned to always kill the mage first.

Swiftblade
05-20-2007, 09:59 PM
Wow, although not nearly 20 years, I have been playing for 8, and I started in 2e.
My first character, a purple dragon knight of Cormyr, traveling in a widely exotic party. I was a walking armory (I remember when encumbrance wasn't there) 3 shortswords, 2 lances, hand-and-a-half sword, warhammer and a shortbow. Plus wearing Plate armor with a shield.
Walking through this forest towards the Tamarac Falls(the DM's creation) and having left my horse 5 miles back in town. I am in the lead with the thief, he being human and I the only elf in the party.
The next thing I know, he is on fire and so am I, not knowing what to do and freaking out, I follow suit with the thief who is only wearing leather armor and jump into the river. (Did it ever even glimpse into my mind that my armor wasn't hot and that I had almost nothing that was combustible)
He starts to swim while I sink like a rock.
I have to use a little ingenuity, I tried climbing the side of the river, not so successful, well let's try this, I pull out my crappy lance and vault my 5' elven body in plate armor up above the surface of the water and stick one of my many shortswords into the bank to stay above water.
As I surface I watch my party systematically destroyed, the halfling sheriff in chainmail, the paladin in plate armor and the wizard all blasted to ash by a powerful lightning bolt. The wemic bard runs for it as I look downstream and see the thief escaping and look up as I try to get out of the water and get hit 8 times with spears, 1 to the head, 4 to the chest and 3 to the abdomen and sink into the water to die 2 rds later from drowning, gotta love the hit points of a knight.

Wow, to think that was 6 months after my first game session I was in, with my first character who was 10th level in 2e, that is a major accomplishment back then, and died a odd but interesting death.

I play 3.5 now, though am saddened by the fact that such realism had entered the game eliminating the main focus of the game. The game used to be about how much imagination one has and how fast you can protect your hide as you run... lol...

I now run games, and bring house rules to the table that bring a little of 2e back to life to enlighten that imagination that fell to the wayside.

Kilrex
05-21-2007, 07:01 AM
My first character was an evil Orc priest. DM gave me a little back story that I was booted from my tribe for failing to kill a Dwarf priest. First thing I decided to do was march to the Dwarf clan fort and try to kill him. Got within sight of the wall and died from a boulder falling out of the sky. Who would guess? Then the DM made me sit and watch a session to see what roleplaying was all about. That was over 12 years ago and been hooked ever since.

Moritz
06-04-2007, 12:42 PM
So, this nostalgia, along with more of an interest in D&D than a Super Heroic game, I've begun preparation to run said D&D game.

I'm up to 57 pages of house rules...... Mind you, only the first 15 are relevant to the non Caster class. From pages 16 and up, I've added/created some new spells and a complete spell list for the casters to work with.
Also, I've begun drawing a map with a great hex mapper program that I found, figured I'd share:
http://home.paonline.com/zaikoski/ak/

Obviously, I've more time on my hands than I suspected.

Mo

Moritz
06-07-2007, 09:25 AM
Recently I noted that I was going to start running a D&D game. Well, one player (a 23 year old kid - one of the reasons age is important to me when picking players) has been wanting special favors. I have cut/pasted the email dialog and removed the names for privacy. Just for your reading pleasure:

Hey Mo,
I was wondering if I could play a monster race. The only issue with the race that I would what to play is that it may make the game a little unbalanced. I really would like to play a half-dragon. I believe the ECL on them is 4 so at level 2 I would effectively be 6.
I have another question; Can a party member be afflicted with lycanthopy, and if so would that change their alignment to evil? Or would it only change their alignment when the "shifted"?

Thanks,
XXX

Dear XXX
sorry, no exceptions. Races are defined in the house rules and those are the only ones allowed. No unbalancing the party.

The alternative to that is take the prestige class of Dragon Disciple. At level 10 of DD, you are effectively a half dragon.

As for Lycanthropy - if there's an encounter with were-beasts, feel free to throw yourself in front of them in an attempt to become infected. If there is a paladin or cleric in the group, you will be subject to their code. And, according to the MM, werewolves are 'always chaotic evil'. Therefore, you will most likely be subject to the whim of the rest of the party beyond that of the paladin or cleric.

Mo

Mo,
I would take the dragon disciple pc but it is overly involved and I would have to wait until much later in the game to take it.
XXX

XXX,
translation? - you want instant power and don't want to get involved in the game ?
Mo

Mo,
I hope that you understand that this will not be an every week kind of game. We all have lives and that interferes with meeting to play, and on top of that people are not going to want to be obligated to show up every week... at that point it becomes a duity and looses the fun aspect of the game.

Have you read the Dragon Disciple pc at all? In your magic poor world I would be hard pressed to find a dragon, let a lone a dragon disciple... that is were the much later in the game thing comes in. Besides by the time I could get to a dragon disciple to train me I would be much higher in level than 10 which there for = not worth it.

XXX

XXX

You are sounding more like <power gamer name> every day.

Where are you coming from with this sentence, "I hope that you understand that this will not be an every week kind of game. We all have lives and that interferes with meeting to play, and on top of that people are not going to want to be obligated to show up every week... at that point it becomes a duity and looses the fun aspect of the game."

That sounds exactly like something <power gamer name> would say, jumping to conclusions and intentionally trying to turn an argument by using distracting ploys or making it sound like he's being inconvenienced.

The way I translate (<power gamer name>-speak) that sentence is, "I want a really powerful character, and since we're not playing weekly, and it'll take me the whole summer to ever see a level that I can become a dragon disciple (or any powerful of a character), then I'm going to whine about how unfun the game can be."

Six things XXX:

1) You don't have to play, no one is twisting your arm. I invited you at the request of <player #1>; and even with my reservations, I was very willing to see how your involvement played out. Now I'm starting to see just how it's going to go due to this string of emails.

2) <player #6> played a dragon disciple in my last game, aside from the Wizard <player #3> played, he did the most damage in each round, he was one of the most effective characters in the game, and he had no complaints aside from the standard gaming issues that everyone suffers. He loved his character.

3) You fail to grasp that if you wished to play a dragon disciple, then all of the requirements of that class would be offered by me. I am not limiting the 'allowed' character classes/races/alignments. I just don't want power gamers coming in with their all powerful savage species' to screw up the fun for everyone else.

4) I haven't the desire to run a game on a weekly basis. Originally I thought this would be a monthly thing, mainly just to get <player #3/player #4>, <player #1/player #2> and <player #5> together, because it's been so long since they've had that interaction - especially in a gaming situation (over 2 years). So this game may be more of a social event than a power game fest. Most of us miss gaming. And World of Warcraft doesn't really fill the need for 'friends' gathering together to hang out and kill monsters while getting treasure.

5) This world/game is designed with Tolkien in mind. Low Magic (and I have a feeling you're about to <power gamer name>-out and say that Tolkien was filled with magic... but ask yourself, how many magic items did you really see in the story? The wizards were massively powerful, but how many were there, 3?, And, what did the orcs carry, were they all +16 swords of human slaying? No.). Additionally, the world/game makes it unique to find a magic item, making it full of wonder and amazement. This isn't about power gaming. Giving the players a sense of mortality and struggle. Some of the best gaming takes place when a player has the urgency to do something right, using their mind to figure out situations, and then clobbering the bad guys with a sound plan and a good sword or spell - or just get lucky with some really good die rolls.

6) You strike me as a power gamer, and you may not fit within this situation. You may be more suited to a champions game that allows 500 points for character building, or an epic D&D game where the characters start out at level 21 and have every magic item in the book to face down gods.

In closing. If you feel that the game is 'not worth it', then perhaps you should find a game in the likes that I have described above, or just stick to WoW and keep making level 70's. Not everyone desires to 'roleplay', they would rather 'powerplay'. And this is perfectly acceptable.

Know this, I have no desire to argue elements of my house rules or give favor to anyone in the game. I've had enough of that with Will in the past. This is a friendly game of old friends, that was my design, and it won't change.

Moritz

starfalconkd
06-09-2007, 09:45 AM
Good for you, Moritz. Still I'm envious you have enough players that you can turn some down.

Moritz
06-11-2007, 09:06 AM
Yeah, I think someone else has been voted off the island of misfit players. Not sure yet, but Player #8 may be out on his ear - and not by my doing.

rabkala
08-03-2007, 11:34 PM
All I seem to find is 'power gamer moron' and 'rules lawyer geek' at the local shops. While I am not a role play nazi, it is nice to have some balance in the game. One of my friends wants to ban all players under 30 for our next game. I definitely feel your pain.

shilar
08-05-2007, 08:49 PM
While I am not a role play Nazi, it is nice to have some balance in the game.
Said like a true Zen master. Balance is key.

Moritz
08-06-2007, 08:15 AM
One of my friends wants to ban all players under 30 for our next game. I definitely feel your pain.

Ya know, that's a great theory, but I'll warn ya, it won't hold true for all players above 30. Most of my stories on this forum involve a player that was around 34-36 when the events took place. And Oy Vey!

But, it's still a good start. This doesn't discount that people below 30 don't have anything to bring to the table (most of my playing was before 30). Though, back then I think we had a different mindset and goals as to what we were going for in a game. Which may be a good start of another topic.

va_paladin
08-11-2007, 02:09 AM
As an old-timer myself, I do sympathize with you on the "immediate power" mentallity of alot of gamers. Some of my most memorable moments in D&D come from new players who aren't as jaded or polished as other players. The barbarian who offerred fold a mount to get it to fit in a hole immediately comes to mind...

Kelbin
08-11-2007, 10:31 PM
Good for you Moritz!
I hate it when people want to start off with "All the Power" instead of taking the time to build the character as a person and not just a combat machine.

Karui_Kage
08-12-2007, 04:43 AM
Hey Moritz, I have to ask a bit about the background context, was this a game where the starting character was level 2 or level 6?

If the former, I can definitely understand your reaction, as that's effectively asking "can I be a level 6 character while the party is level 2?"

If it's the latter...I'm not sure I understand. All in all, the Half Dragon is agreed upon to be a rather poor choice for a PC, definitely not if the player wants 'power'. If it was a level 6 game, what's the problem in him wanting to be a character with it and 2 class levels? Those 2 class levels means only 2 Hit Dice, and even as a barbarian (2d12), the party wizard would have just as much HP (6d4), more on average actually with the same Con. After one good hit from a CR 6 monster puts him to negatives, he may understand that most level adjustments above one or two generally are a poor choice.

So, in short, if it's a level 2 game, yeah, you did the right thing. If it's level 6? Say yes, give him his so called 'power', then watch as a Giant Crocodile (EL 5) takes a single bite out of him and puts him into negatives. He'd probably quickly regret his choice.

Edit: Of course, even if it was a level 2 game, it may not be all that bad. Sure, he'd have high stats, and would go through early encounters rather quickly. However, if his starting XP is the same as everyone else (1,000), he'd still need a good 14,000 more to level, and he'd be getting MUCH less than everyone else since he was an effective ECL 6 (compared to the rest of the party's ECL 2). Assuming of course you divy out experience individually, instead of as a group average. That means that not only will he take longer to get to his 'next' level at ECL 7, but that the rest of the party will easily beat him to it.

That, and if you use the old FR variant of a -1 to all rolls per level adjustment 'negated', that means he'd start with a -4 to every roll he made, attack, damage, skills.

Overall, no matter which way you went, I think he would quickly regret his choice.

(And the powerful Savage Species? A joke. The Mind Flayer paragon is a godlike prestige, but other than that, the level progressions for monster races are fair. The abilities seem high at first, but only at low levels. That lack of hit points and hit dice is what absolutely kills a PC in the end, and it has been that 90% of the time, a player of mine using a level adjusted race is usually the first to bite it.)

rabkala
08-12-2007, 11:54 AM
It is not so much a power thing, as a matter of principle. The guidelines were clearly set by the DM and then ignored by the player.

I have encountered numerous such instances in the past. I send my own world info to my players (about 550k) in emails a few weeks before they start. It lists acceptable ability scores, races, classes, prestige acceptance, deities, alignments, sources, rules tweaks, equipment selection, starting items, as well as background information on important places. I usually leave it a little open by telling them that some exceptions would be made if they talk to me first and have a good story to propel it. When a player shows up to the game having completely ignored what was in the information, you wonder if you want them in the game. It shows a complete lack of respect and an inability to follow the rules.

Karui_Kage
08-12-2007, 12:45 PM
That is true, though even with the rules I set up in my own games, I can still appreciate a level of flexibility, like you mention. So long as a player talks to me first, I don't mind as much. If I set up a list of books allowed to include A - F, and a player wants to use something from book P, I'll look through it still and possibly make an exception if it isn't overpowered or anything.

In this case, it did look like the player was talking to him first, instead of just walking in with an already made character that went outside the guidelines. If a player did that to me, I'd most definitely be upset as well.

Grimwell
08-12-2007, 12:53 PM
rabkala, I'd be interested in seeing your 550k document. I'm gearing up (slowly) for my firs full game in a few years, and would love to see what good ideas I can steal! :)

Moritz
08-12-2007, 03:01 PM
Hey Moritz, I have to ask a bit about the background context, was this a game where the starting character was level 2 or level 6?

All starting characters were to be level 2. Normal PHB allowed races and classes. The person wanted a race that would put him at ECL6. It would have been far too powerful of a character.

TheYeti1775
08-13-2007, 10:10 AM
rabkala, I'd be interested in seeing your 550k document. I'm gearing up (slowly) for my firs full game in a few years, and would love to see what good ideas I can steal! :)
Would love to see it as well.

That is true, though even with the rules I set up in my own games, I can still appreciate a level of flexibility, like you mention. So long as a player talks to me first, I don't mind as much. If I set up a list of books allowed to include A - F, and a player wants to use something from book P, I'll look through it still and possibly make an exception if it isn't overpowered or anything.

In this case, it did look like the player was talking to him first, instead of just walking in with an already made character that went outside the guidelines. If a player did that to me, I'd most definitely be upset as well.
I'll always consider other sources, though as a DM I'm quite lenient on what I allow. But like the other DM in my group, one of our favorite things is if PC's can do it, so can the bad guys. :D

Moritz
08-13-2007, 10:49 AM
When a player shows up to the game having completely ignored what was in the information, you wonder if you want them in the game. It shows a complete lack of respect and an inability to follow the rules.

That's grounds for immediate voting off the island. I seriously dislike that type of player.

Oh, and by the way, my house rules are 1,094KB - 60 pages. The first 20 are most important, the rest are class dependent.

TheYeti1775
08-13-2007, 11:33 AM
That's grounds for immediate voting off the island. I seriously dislike that type of player.

Oh, and by the way, my house rules are 1,094KB - 60 pages. The first 20 are most important, the rest are class dependent.

Mind sharing them?

Moritz
08-13-2007, 11:35 AM
Mind sharing them?

Sure, give me an email where I can send. I doubt I could post them on this board.

rabkala
08-13-2007, 06:07 PM

I can't take all the credit for my world, yet. It started due to a now defunct play by post site. I was playing in the unfinished world and writing up areas that were untouched. I then started using it in one of my table top games. I slowly write up areas I need or rewrite other peoples work that doesn't fit or I don't like. I figured one day I could have the world created anew, but it is quite a task.

Here is a small excerpt as it appeared when I first wrote it for the world. I have yet to bring one of my groups here.

Xar

Xar is a small country on the East Sea. It is bordered by Kingland to the south, Norga to the north west, and The Theocracy of Bresea to the west. The forests are home to a multitude of fey folk who are at odds with the magocracy. Most households have small time saving magical devices. With advances in knowledge and the aid of magic, no people go unfed. No beggars wander the streets. Xar is a loose based republic held in check by the power of the Mage council.

Cultural Level: late middle ages (High magic)

Landscape: Thick deciduous forests , towering mountains and fair farmlands near the sea dominate the landscape. A temperate climate permeates this region.

Major Settlements: ( Michocan, Bronden, Indarqul, and Rezdon )
Michocan is a large city at the foothills of the Mountains. The city is Known for its fine metal works and grand architecture. Michocan is the current capital of Xar.
Bronden is located beneath the Fey Forest. Using the resources of the forest, it became a great city in its own right with elven inspired architecture. In recent years, they have been facing a slow decline due to problems with the forests inhabitants.
Indarqul is the largest sea port in Xar. It is a chaotic mass of humanity harvesting what it can from the sea. The population has grown to surpass all other cities in Xar.
Rezdon is a trade city located in the southwest corner of Xar. Most of the Kingland trade travels through this city. Rezdon has the largest concentration of non-humans in any Xar city.

The Folk: Many of the first people in Xar were a short and stocky folk. They tend to be fair skinned with light hair. While the light skinned people were first, all sorts of people flooded the lands after the prosperity of the mageocracy. The common folk have embraced magic as a source to better their lives. While the five elemental gods are worshiped by many, it is currently in vogue to worship new gods. Many questionable deities appear and disappear with regularity.

The Law: While wizards are held to a different code of law, the mageocracy supports a a relatively fair system for the common man. Magistrates are armed with a large repertoire of divination spells so the truth never goes uncovered. The system is swift and severe for the guilty with public execution a common penalty for many crimes.

The wizards council rules the land. Every mage who has passed a series of competency tests has a vote in the selection of the Grand Mage and The Wizards Council. The council consists of twelve members who tend to be the best and the brightest to wield the art with all schools being represented. Council members serve a four year term and may be reelected. The Grand Mage has a term of 6 years and governs the wizards council. While the Grand Mage may be reelected, it is a rare occurrence.

Trade and diplomacy: Magic goods are the main export of Xar. The fine metals from the northern mountains are a close second in trade. Xar has no real allies as the wizard council feels above the petty bickering of foreign aristocrats and dignitaries. A healthy trade has been established with Kingland to the south.

History: Xar was a chaotic collection of self sufficient city states for much of their history. In 528 a great man rose to prominence in the city-state of Michocan. His name was Vestian Adain. Through strength of his sword, an awe inspiring presence, and shear force of will he strove to unite the region. The cities of Bronden and Indarqul fell before the might of his armies in 531. By late 533, in the face of his marching armies, many of the other cities in the area were willing to surrender or join with him.

His son, Valrick Adain, gained the throne in 565. Valricks first love was history. He was quick to fund expeditions and archaeological digs. A weak willed man with good intentions, he was manipulated by many. He made many attempts to appease the chaotic masses with little luck. Under pressure due to uprisings in Indarqul, he wed the daughter of one of the prominent Indarqul families. He grew to love this strange woman and had his only son with her in 576.

Vedrin Adain took the throne on his 20th birthday. Vedrin took after his mother and had little love for the throne. A shy and introverted man, Vedrin excelled in the arts. He grew to love the study of magic. Four years after gaining power, an archaeological dig discovered what was believed to be a library of the ancients. He immersed himself in the study of these ancient tomes. Believing that wizardry was the answer to everything, he laid the foundations of the mageocracy over the course of the next 10 years.

Glom the unexpected rose through the ranks of wizards quickly. While he was a man of small stature, Glom was a man of unyielding principle and the highest moral fiber. He met Vedrin shortly after the library discovery. He was unceremoniously handed power by a distracted Vedrin and beleaguered aristocracy in 610. Under Glom, the mageocracy ushered in a great prosperity to the land.

In recent years, a darkness has taken a hold of the wizards council.

Maybe we could start a world building project here? Maybe that could draw more people to the site, or keep them here once they visited. Any thoughts?

Grimwell
08-14-2007, 01:58 AM
World building projects require dedication and a good central organizer. Otherwise they stall. Not to be a poo poo'er, but are you ready to be that central guy? If someone is, it could be a lot of fun.

My idea, a central file store where we can upload our multi-page campaign documents and then steal from each other! I can host them on my site if bandwidth is an issue. Then we just need a librarian to keep things organized and findable!

Farcaster
08-16-2007, 01:42 PM
My idea, a central file store where we can upload our multi-page campaign documents and then steal from each other! I can host them on my site if bandwidth is an issue. Then we just need a librarian to keep things organized and findable!

Bandwidth is not even close to being an issue. We have tons of bandwidth to play with here (in the 3TB/mo range). The new Articles/Blogs area might be an idea repository for this sort of thing. It definitely allows uploading of larger files and is easier to organize documents within. If you have any thoughts on how the new resources area could fit your needs better, let me know.

:cool:

willofdukes
07-24-2008, 11:20 AM
My fondest memory in D&D was a campaign my brother ran where a evil druid had started making a army of undead using a magic item. I was a lv10 sorcerer/lv2 Elemental Savant. At one point in the game the party (Consisting of a inquisitor of St. Cuburt, a warrior, a assassin and me) were in a forgotten military encampment. After successfully searching it and finding a good place to sleep we camped for the night. We were awaken by a man who called himself mr. Grey and his troop of mutated howlers. After finishing off the howlers we turned our attention to mr. Grey. After all of our attacks a grey substance would appear on his wound and heal him. So I had the warrior grapple him and take him into one of the buildings. we then proceeded to knock out the supports and drop it on Mr. Grey. Right as the last one dropped the warrior dropped him and ran out. I proceeded to drop stone walls over him. It worked really well for taking down a invulnerable character.

michaeljearley
07-24-2008, 02:15 PM
Good for you, Moritz. Still I'm envious you have enough players that you can turn some down.
Seriously. Let me live in this land of candy and strippers.

tesral
07-24-2008, 02:33 PM
Where do I start? I could write a good sized book on the subject.

Weekend sessions that lasted all weekend. We played Friday night, got food ,played Saturday away, and into Sunday when we dragged home and fell over to work on Monday. Gaming several nights a week all over town. (Gas was only 57 cents a gallon.)

All the gaming gear I owned including the miniature painting stuff fit in one catalog case. At the time it seemed enough.

Six nights a week with good friends doing fun stuff. (One day a week I tended to get home form work and die on the spot.) I did end up moving in with the girls and that took care of the traveling there problem.

We were all young, had enough money and plenty of time. I remember a "discussion" over who got the two (not great) card tables. I said, I'll be back. Went to Sears and bought three of the things. Took care of the argument.

Going to cons together, hanging out at the various gaming stores. We would spend an entire Saturday "day" hitting all the major gaming stores in the area. About 100 miles of driving. Then eat and get down to gaming that night.

cplmac
07-24-2008, 05:37 PM
Where do I start? I could write a good sized book on the subject.

Weekend sessions that lasted all weekend. We played Friday night, got food ,played Saturday away, and into Sunday when we dragged home and fell over to work on Monday. Gaming several nights a week all over town. (Gas was only 57 cents a gallon.)

All the gaming gear I owned including the miniature painting stuff fit in one catalog case. At the time it seemed enough.

Six nights a week with good friends doing fun stuff. (One day a week I tended to get home form work and die on the spot.) I did end up moving in with the girls and that took care of the traveling there problem.

We were all young, had enough money and plenty of time. I remember a "discussion" over who got the two (not great) card tables. I said, I'll be back. Went to Sears and bought three of the things. Took care of the argument.

Going to cons together, hanging out at the various gaming stores. We would spend an entire Saturday "day" hitting all the major gaming stores in the area. About 100 miles of driving. Then eat and get down to gaming that night.

:hail::hail::hail::hail::hail::hail::hail:
Most of the rest of us can only hope to be in the same league.

Talmek
07-24-2008, 10:55 PM
My personal experience comes from the DM side. In my first campaign (Forgotten Realms) my two players were a human sorcerer/dragon disciple and an elf ranger/wizard/rogue (my best friend of five years and my ex-wife, respectively). I didn't know where to begin in terms of creating my own adventures, so I would go through the archive on the WotC site and pick something level-specific and modify it.

It was great, and much like Tesral's weekend game-a-thons. We'd all meet at my place Friday afternoon, order pizza, soda, and play late into Saturday morning. Sleep for a few hours and start back up around 7 pm Saturday night straight through until it got retarded (sometime around Sunday 4-6 pm). Great times, and some really funny happenings.