PDA

View Full Version : Link Exchange

Farcaster
05-11-2007, 01:08 AM
You've probably already noticed the addition of a new ad banner when viewing the forums. This is part of a link exchange to help get the word out there to even more gamers. Hopefully, the links they send over to us will be of some interest to you all as well. But if not, just know that it is all in effort to bring more people to the site and thus more potential gamers to your table. :cool:

ronpyatt
07-09-2007, 10:46 AM
I like it. I find that I'm clicking on the link exchange for all sorts of cool sites. Recent memorable clicks I have been to: nowhere-else.org (web based game), the new rpgspaces.com (sort of a myspace for rpgs), and cityofif.com (a rather bold online story game). Sometimes I come here just to click on the exchange.

Laveaux
07-10-2007, 08:53 PM
Heey, link exchange works. I put up a banner for RPGSpaces, Ron joins and posts a classified for Pen and Paper Games and, well, here I am. And if you didn't catch it, for an nominal fee ($5.00) you can buy a huge amount of impressions. My site's activity skyrocketed after I opted to sink a 5er into advertising instead of a soy vanilla latte.

RPGSpaces is social networking for RPers. The whole point is to get us all together (much like this site). There are clubs (groups) that can be used to run play by post or chat campaigns, or to simply gather about a particular topics, a hefty blog feature that some folks are already taking advantage of, and other goodies like media uploading and classifieds for promotions.

Currently the active campaigns are rooted very heavily in my worldbuilding site, Basilicus (http://www.basilicus.org) - a rich and detailed space opera. But I'd like to see other settings and systems represented.

In any case, now that I'm here I'll set up camp and catch up on all these forum posts. Looking forward to meeting you all.

Farcaster
07-14-2007, 10:03 PM
Welcome, Laveaux. I did find the $5.00 option for extra impressions, and I tried it a couple of times. What I found was that some nefarious individual out there has an automated bot to open sessions from the link exchange ads. While the ads were running, I had tons of visitors that would show up in the who's online box, but when I analyzed the referral statistics using google analytics, none of those were actual referrals. Not to mention that none of these extra hundreds of visits per hour ever made it past the first page. So, it seems that a lot of the impressions get eaten up this way :(

Laveaux
07-17-2007, 08:44 PM
Welcome, Laveaux. I did find the $5.00 option for extra impressions, and I tried it a couple of times. What I found was that some nefarious individual out there has an automated bot to open sessions from the link exchange ads. While the ads were running, I had tons of visitors that would show up in the who's online box, but when I analyzed the referral statistics using google analytics, none of those were actual referrals. Not to mention that none of these extra hundreds of visits per hour ever made it past the first page. So, it seems that a lot of the impressions get eaten up this way :(

That's dirty.

I was toying with Google's ad program and it can get pretty detailed on which sites you choose. Although I have some decent traffic so I'm going to hold the wallet for a while.

I love your site. As soon as I'm done moving into our new house I'm going to sit down and catch up on all of the posts.

Kelbin
08-10-2007, 02:09 PM
I will make sure to add a link for this place on my site.